Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(03-24-2021, 11:18 PM)cow Wrote: I'd take Bledsoe as the price to get Lonzo as he really only has a year of bad contract left.  I doubt that is seriously on the table but I'd rather have Lonzo long term than JRich.

100% This!!!
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 10:47 PM)F Gump Wrote: It will be interesting to see what players like Fournier and Dinwiddie yield, if they are traded. Gordon too.

I'm thinking the prices will prove to be much higher than we think (if they are traded) and that the supposed giveaways that are being wished for don't even exist.

For those reasons, I think the Mavs are not going to find anything that makes sense, and will sit this one out. Not for lack of trying, but for an unwillingness to pay something stupid on a deal that doesn't get them anywhere..

To your point, I saw a scenario where Charlotte is interested in Myles Turner.  Offer would be Zeller (expiring), PJ Washington and Charlotte's 2021 first (currently 19th).  Dallas has nothing like that to offer.
Like Reply
I think if Mavs limit is Johnson and a couple of second rounders, than our market are the likes of Bjelica, Gay, Dieng or overpaid players like Bledsoe. Does any of this really makes us better or is it just the same if we go with Johnson? 

It doesn't look Mavs would be willing to pay assets to include Powell so that deals for the likes of OPJ would become possible.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 08:12 AM)omahen Wrote: I think if Mavs limit is Johnson and a couple of second rounders, than our market are the likes of Bjelica, Gay, Dieng or overpaid players like Bledsoe. Does any of this really makes us better or is it just the same if we go with Johnson? 

It doesn't look Mavs would be willing to pay assets to include Powell so that deals for the likes of OPJ would become possible.

#believe
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 09:35 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Tea leaves telling me it’s WCS and Terry outgoing for somebody’s project.

What tea leaves are those?
Like Reply
Final deadline thoughts. Today is Best Player Available day for these Mavs, regardless of position. It's easy to get caught up in debates about positional fit or starting units or closing fives. This team needs rotation caliber talent for the playoffs -- and the war chest.

If the best player available is a 30 min guard - Walker, FVV, Graham, Brogdon - a dynamic scoring guard who can shoot pairs extremely well with Doncic and will ease some concerns we all have about this offense trending more toward Harden-ball. The rest of the roster easily fits around this type of player when you have a long guard like JRich who can defend 1-3 and sometimes 4 along with versatile defenders like DFS and Kleber. 

If the best player available is a 30 min 2-3 wing - Fournier, Oladipo, Hield, Oubre, Powell - the story is essentially the same as above. You'd like to get a guy who can initiate the offense and take some pressure off Doncic to make plays. But if the best you can get is a stone-cold shooter, Carlisle will make it work. Maybe you get a starter who can bump DFS or Kleber to the bench.

If the best player available is a 3-4 wing or 4-5 forward - Gordon, Collins, Olynyk, Siakam, Young, Bjelica, Gay, OPJ - you're looking to upgrade Kleber with a more dynamic scoring option at best or a tough rebounding banger who can get some rotation minutes.

If the best player is a straight up 5 - Drummond, McGee, Turner, Sabonis, Young may actually fit here now - the Mavs have a need for bench depth and you wonder if Carlisle might experiment with starting a big lineup with KP at the 4 against certain teams, unless of course KP is the one who's outgoing!

Regardless of position my view is the Mavs should look to obtain the best player available with the assets they have. And if KP is outgoing you're looking for a top 20 player or multiple quality starters in return.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 08:49 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Final deadline thoughts. Today is Best Player Available day for these Mavs, regardless of position. It's easy to get caught up in debates about positional fit or starting units or closing fives. This team needs rotation caliber talent for the playoffs -- and the war chest.

If the best player available is a 30 min guard - Walker, FVV, Graham, Brogdon - a dynamic scoring guard who can shoot pairs extremely well with Doncic and will ease some concerns we all have about this offense trending more toward Harden-ball. The rest of the roster easily fits around this type of player when you have a long guard like JRich who can defend 1-3 and sometimes 4 along with versatile defenders like DFS and Kleber. 

If the best player available is a 30 min 2-3 wing - Fournier, Oladipo, Hield, Oubre, Powell - the story is essentially the same as above. You'd like to get a guy who can initiate the offense and take some pressure off Doncic to make plays. But if the best you can get is a stone-cold shooter, Carlisle will make it work. Maybe you get a starter who can bump DFS or Kleber to the bench.

If the best player available is a 3-4 wing or 4-5 forward - Gordon, Collins, Olynyk, Siakam, Young, Bjelica, Gay, OPJ - you're looking to upgrade Kleber with a more dynamic scoring option at best or a tough rebounding banger who can get some rotation minutes.

If the best player is a straight up 5 - Drummond, McGee, Turner, Sabonis, Young may actually fit here now - the Mavs have a need for bench depth and you wonder if Carlisle might experiment with starting a big lineup with KP at the 4 against certain teams, unless of course KP is the one who's outgoing!

Regardless of position my view is the Mavs should look to obtain the best player available with the assets they have. And if KP is outgoing you're looking for a top 20 player or multiple quality starters in return.

You have a pretty high threshold for BPA and rotational players. Big Grin
Like Reply
My dream TDL for the Mavs:
The Mavs trade KP and Brunson for Turner, Brogdon, and Indiana's 2021 FRP.
They then trade James Johnson and Josh Green with the Indiana FRP for Evan DNG and Mo Bamba.
Finally, they trade Terry and Burke and two seconds for WCJ.

I think that the first trade is by far the most realistic (that's fair value for KP and Brunson put together), with the third being a long shot. I'm not willing to 

Luka moves to the three on defense.

Brodgon-Fournier
Richardson-THJ
Luka-DFS
Maxi-WCJ
Turner-WCS

That's a team talented enough to contend this year - if they can gel. I wish there was a deal to send out THJ and Powell's contract, but we're definitely better this year with THJ on roster, even though there's no way we can keep him if we re-upped Evan and JR.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 08:02 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Offer would be Zeller (expiring), PJ Washington and Charlotte's 2021 first (currently 19th).  Dallas has nothing like that to offer.

Couldn't the Mavs theoretically offer:

Johnson (expiring), Maxi, 1st round pick swap next year? 

That's pretty close, though I'd think that's too rich for a guy like Turner anyways.

I feel like this is going to be a very very very quiet deadline.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I honestly don´t want to trade any of our top 7,unless we get at least a multiple All-Star (talent) in return. I´d rather try to take on some salary and get assets in the process to be ready for Lavine or Beal.

Given our 10 year experience to manage and incorporate has-beens into our rotations, it would be nice to actually get asset compensation for our service to the elderly. Bledsoe can surely help this team as an 8th man.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 09:49 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I honestly don´t want to trade any of our top 7,unless we get at least a multiple All-Star (talent) in return. I´d rather try to take on some salary and get assets in the process to be ready for Lavine or Beal.

Given our 10 year experience to manage and incorporate has-beens into our rotations, it would be nice to actually get asset compensation for our service to the elderly. Bledsoe can surely help this team as an 8th man.

I'm with you on the first point. I think the best likely outcome today is if they use JJ's expiring plus other non-top 7 stuff to add a guy qualified enough for us to say we have a top 8.
Like Reply
Well here are the guys the Mavs must be targeting since caproom seems to be the order of the summer.....

[Image: ExSH0E9VEAA2t4S?format=jpg&name=medium]
Like Reply
Lose Richardson and/or THJ. Add a player that is barely any better and/or overpay RFAs. Great asset management.
Like Reply
[Image: ExQ7x7GVEAEEGe8?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 02:42 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lose Richardson and/or THJ. Add a player that is barely any better and/or overpay RFAs. Great asset management.

The ONLY recourse left that salvages this is that they are targeting sign and trade avenues for one or more of those guys. Otherwise they just sat on their hands and got no better.
Like Reply
Updated salary chart:

[Image: Screenshot-2021-03-25-3.16.36-PM.png]
Like Reply
We’re months away from FA but that’s a pretty unexciting list of players and still a long one of teams with caproom. 

I think we’ll see the same thing that we see every summer, the Mavs either take a risk and overpay somebody or they start thinking about fringe starters on decent contracts.

Re Collins: the guy pretty much publicly begged to stay in ATL and the Hawks are making the playoffs. There’s no way they let him walk in RFA.

Unfortunately we’ve also just done the thing we usually do in trades: ship out picks. 

I don’t see what ATL would want from us in a SnT. 

We’ve backed ourselves into a corner these last few years. It’s certainly not getting any easier to get improvements here next summer than it was today. No additional picks, we’ll probably have to choose between Thjr/Jrich and/or a FA.

Also realistically speaking: our rooks will have even less value in trades than they do right now. The Mavs have been extremely vocal about their stance on playing Bey/Green/Terry being equal to not attempting to win games. Racking up DNPs for months won’t improve their value though.

Can’t say I’m surprised about anything anymore. We’ve seen their patterns again and again over the years, nothing will change.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:25 PM)JamesConway Wrote: We’re months away from FA but that’s a pretty unexciting list of players and still a long one of teams with caproom. 

I think we’ll see the same thing that we see every summer, the Mavs either take a risk and overpay somebody or they start thinking about fringe starters on decent contracts.

Re Collins: the guy pretty much publicly begged to stay in ATL and the Hawks are making the playoffs. There’s no way they let him walk in RFA.

Unfortunately we’ve also just done the thing we usually do in trades: ship out picks. 

I don’t see what ATL would want from us in a SnT. 

We’ve backed ourselves into a corner these last few years. It’s certainly not getting any easier to get improvements here next summer than it was today. No additional picks, we’ll probably have to choose between Thjr/Jrich and/or a FA.

Also realistically speaking: our rooks will have even less value in trades than they do right now. The Mavs have been extremely vocal about their stance on playing Bey/Green/Terry being equal to not attempting to win games. Racking up DNPs for months won’t improve their value though.

Can’t say I’m surprised about anything anymore. We’ve seen their patterns again and again over the years, nothing will change.

This are all valid points, but...

- FA was done the moment GA signed the new contract. The two players I like best in the FA:
 THjr & Josh Richardson lol .. (not talking RFAs/Kawhi).

- Don´t care about the "value" of our Rookies, as I would love to keep all of them.

There will be one option to "improve" and that´s called full midlevel exception.

let´s go for the buyouts now
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:35 PM)Mapka Wrote: let´s go for the buyouts now

No free roster spots. According to the latest tweets the Mavs want to keep Melli.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No free roster spots. According to the latest tweets the Mavs want to keep Melli.

That's called being polite in case none of the buyout candidates wants to come here.
Like Reply