Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
The MBT will be forever judged by what happens in the next couple of years.

These are the guys who wasted/ruined the last stretch of a generational players career and are showing signs they are about to expedite that process by doing the same to the front end of another generational star they lucked into.

All of it because they live in an echo chamber of their own creation that keeps them thinking they’re the smartest guys in the room.

And the greatest kick in the junk is that they started in earnest by missing out on Giannis while they chased the big fish; all of which would not have made those Mavs teams contenders....and now they sat on their hands in hopes of landing Giannis...the very same they missed on running the same damned strategy of failure...and in doing so have missed opportunities to improve the roster around the NBA wunderkind that we will have to watch play in another uniform sooner than we all realize.

The Mavs have made me such a dark cloud.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 01:47 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: The MBT will be forever judged by what happens in the next couple of years.

I'd start the judging with every after the 2011 season and if they were smart, MBT self reflection should have started there as well after the comedy of errors they made leading up to drafting Luka.
Like Reply
Josh Hart would be my target. IMO, he's the next PJ Tucker on the right team. He will be RFA and doubt Pelicans want to pay him.
Like Reply
(01-31-2021, 02:46 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Josh Hart

Give me Adams with him.
Like Reply
Just throwing together an idea based on this and some other threads:

https://tradenba.com/trades/Hv3OwIZkD

3-way trade with Pels/Bulls. Pels get KP and Brunson, Bulls reload with Lonzo, JRich, and picks, and the Mavs add Lavine+Hart+Bledsoe+Young.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 06:20 AM)Branduil Wrote: Just throwing together an idea based on this and some other threads:

https://tradenba.com/trades/Hv3OwIZkD

3-way trade with Pels/Bulls. Pels get KP and Brunson, Bulls reload with Lonzo, JRich, and picks, and the Mavs add Lavine+Hart+Bledsoe+Young.

I can´t find the flaw.

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe Pels would need a little more guard help. Keep Hart or Bledsoe (replace with Satoransky from Bulls)

But that sounds like a pretty good plan.

Lonzo should fit with White.
KP should fit with Zion.
Lavine should fit with Luka.

Add a few picks here and there, but the players make a lot of sense.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 07:41 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I can´t find the flaw.

The only flaw is that the Mavs aren't trading KP. So it's a non-starter.

And that's the right move. You can't trade KP right now. How he's playing right now his value is at the absolute nadir. But when healthy, he's shown he can be a top 20 player.

The value you get from trading who he is now isn't enough to fully replace the role you want, and you shouldn't be trading the healthy version of KP in any place. 

Thats why any trade for KP is ridiculous. You have to hope he can turn it around.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Johnson and a 1st (maybe one more minor piece) for Gordon, Randle or Grant.  PF seems to be the position of need and one of them should be available prior to the deadline. All three teams are going nowhere with their current roster and should try to add draft picks.

If the Pelicans rumors are true. Offer all remaining 2nds and Powell for Ball. Or if Richardson continues to struggle offer him straight up.

KP is going nowhere.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 09:23 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Johnson and a 1st (maybe one more minor piece) for Gordon, Randle or Grant.  PF seemse to be the position of need and one of them should be available prior to the deadline. All three teams are going nowhere with their current roster and should try to add draft picks.

If the Pelicans rumors are true. Offer all remaining 2nds and Powell for Ball. Or if Richardson continues to struggle offer him straight up.

KP is going nowhere.

My buddy that is a Knicks fan that is fairly dialed into the organization said that they see Julius Randle as a core piece long term. The Randle train was missed a long time ago. Many of us saw his trajectory but the MBT didn't. 

As for Lonzo Ball, I have maintained that losing Delon right was an underrated big loss. He could rebound from the guard position and despite his 3pt shooting he did a good job of running the 2nd unit. 

Lonzo is 10x the player Wright was and would be the  perfect alternate ball handler to play with Luka. 

The Mavericks never replaced Curry's shooting, Delon's PG Skills and rebounding ability as a guard, and someone that could give us the offense Powell did pre injury.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 09:23 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Johnson and a 1st (maybe one more minor piece) for Gordon, Randle or Grant.  PF seems to be the position of need and one of them should be available prior to the deadline. All three teams are going nowhere with their current roster and should try to add draft picks.

KP is going nowhere.

I like where you're thinking, but I don't think that's nearly enough value for any of those dudes. The Magic turned down 2 FRP and Ariza for Gordon during the draft. I heavily doubt his cost would be lower after a month.

Randle seems to be a core piece for NYK, as foolish as that may be. He's the reason they're competitive in games, so I don't think their fan base would take too kindly of them just shipping him out for nothing more than an expiring and a FRP. Doubly so because it's the Mavs and we've already burned them once by taking their star PF. 

Grant is straight up balling for the Pistons. Hes less than 2 months in on a brand new 60m deal. I heavily doubt the Pistons give up their 25ppg scorer for a late first just that quick.

We need to set our sights lower, maybe take on a bad contract. Kevin Love, Andre Drummond, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Siakam, Aldridge etc. These kinds of dudes. That way the Mavs don't need to give up draft capital and they can use their cap space for boom/bust guy. 

As to Ball, he's currently in the midst of a terrible shooting season that's marred with uninspired play. That is the only reason the pels are moving on from him. Given how we're already having issues with spacing/effort and I shudder the kind of drama he can bring with his dad/reality show, I'm very hesitant to even give Ball a look. Furthermore because of his RFA this summer, he could be looking to get paid. And I wouldn't want to invest more than what Fultz got from the Magic, while he might be looking for 100m+.  

But still for a guy that can pass so well and defend at a high level, there must be a role for him somewhere. I just don't think it'd be the right move to use our trade assets on him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Not sure Siakim qualifies as overpaid? I would definitely trade him for KP.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:11 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Not sure Siakim qualifies as overpaid? I would definitely trade him for KP.

Looking just as bad as KP this season. Probably for the same reasons. Minor injuries adding up and preventing him from playing to his full potential. Biggest concern is the 3-point shot. Only 24% on 4 attempts per game.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:11 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Not sure Siakim qualifies as overpaid? I would definitely trade him for KP.

He's having an arguably worse season than KP. Yes he's been that bad for TOR.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:30 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's having an arguably worse season than KP.

I think that is what makes it a reasonable swap scenario. 

Two guys struggling in their current situations but both have star potential, so the teams swap them and hope the change of environment helps.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:30 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's having an arguably worse season than KP. Yes he's been that bad for TOR.

Man I would be all over that. I have not watched him play but liking that 4.4 assist number. FG% isn't bad. PPG is good. KP is supposed to be a "shooter" and his 3% is .286 so far this year.

I think Siakim would be a great fit. He was much better suited as the Robin to Kawhi's Batman. Here is would clearly be the #2 guy. I think a closing lineup that is Luka, Rich, DFS, Siakim, Maxi would be really good. I don't think you could play those guys all game long because you need a bigger body in there somewhere but that is an easier problem to solve.

(02-01-2021, 11:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think that is what makes it a reasonable swap scenario. 

Two guys struggling in their current situations but both have star potential, so the teams swap them and hope the change of environment helps.

YES

They are close to the same age as well. KP has a more serious injury history altho similar upside I think.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:39 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: you need a bigger body in there somewhere

In this wild hypothetical I would pursue Adams to put with Pascal and Luka.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:55 AM)Kammrath Wrote: In this wild hypothetical I would pursue Adams to put with Pascal and Luka.

Adams cannot be traded this season. He just signed a contract extension. Obviously could be a target in the next offseason.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 11:35 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I think that is what makes it a reasonable swap scenario. 

I think KP has higher upside than Pascal which makes me hesitant to even consider a swap. But if we were to ever trade KP, then a player like Pascal would be the baseline return I'd be looking for.
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 01:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think KP has higher upside than Pascal which makes me hesitant to even consider a swap. 

No judgement on the opinion, but out of curiosity, what about KP prompts this feeling? Is it just shooting?
Like Reply
(02-01-2021, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No judgement on the opinion, but out of curiosity, what about KP prompts this feeling? Is it just shooting?

KP's ability to shoot from distance at an efficient rate, coupled with his historical great rim protection and high mobility (for a bigman). Also he's 7'3 and that size alone changes how teams need to prepare for you. 

Just a very unique package that you really never see. His biggest downfall is availability and it remains to be seen if he can stay healthy. I know KP hasn't really flashed any of this recently in his return, but we saw just a glimpse in game 2 against the Clips of how good the Mavs can be with a healthy KP and Luka. 

Siakam meanwhile looks to me like Giannis lite. A very good player in his own right, but he doesn't seem to me the guy you can build a team around. KP I think does have that talent. 

Obviously though I can see an argument for either side. They're at very similar points in their careers.
Like Reply