Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
Guess I'm now on the Isaac to Dallas bandwagon...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:15 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:  I don't feel like if Powell was on the Lakers, Clips, Heat, Bucks or any top contender they would just throw a guy out there to be loyal to him. 

In the Lakers case, they would throw him out there just because he signed with LeBron's management company.

Nobody was worried about how unfair it was that KP was getting starters minutes as he was rounding himself into shape coming back for injury. This happens in the NBA all the time. Mavs fans just hate Powell. They hated him before the injury. And it's not like Powell is going to get 35 minutes a game while Maxi is going to get 15. They're really not going to play that much difference in minutes. Powell is just going to play a lot with Luka because they have elite PnR mindmeld IQ partnership.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:35 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Guess I'm now on the Isaac to Dallas bandwagon...
I’ve been on that bandwagon since he was drafted lol. I think he would be a great fit here! I would get him & Bamba if it were me.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:57 PM)Dirkster21 Wrote: I’ve been on that bandwagon since he was drafted lol. I think he would be a great fit here! I would get him & Bamba if it were me.

Easier said than done. I would imagine the Magic would be keen on keeping Isaac at least through his next deal.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:36 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: In the Lakers case, they would throw him out there just because he signed with LeBron's management company.

Nobody was worried about how unfair it was that KP was getting starters minutes as he was rounding himself into shape coming back for injury.  This happens in the NBA all the time.    Mavs fans just hate Powell.  They hated him before the injury.    And it's not like Powell is going to get 35 minutes a game while Maxi is going to get 15.  They're really not going to play that much difference in minutes.    Powell is just going to play a lot with Luka because they have elite PnR mindmeld IQ partnership.
You're very right on the LeBron comment. He runs the Lakers. I don't think you can compare DP to KP. KP has been a All Star and is a borderline all NBA 3rd team player when healthy based on what he showed after he really got going. Franchise players are almost always handed the keys and allowed to work their way back. Role players are not. IMO I don't think the 2 situations are relatable.
Like Reply
TBH, Dwight Powell is nothing much more than a mobile 4/5 come off the bench for a contending team/
As the big FA list getting shorter after Freak signing to the supermax, do you want to spend 15M from the cap space and send outing out Dwight to clear 10M for signing Gobert?
Like Reply
After watching the 2 preseason games and reading what's been said (all good stuff) here is my hopes or next year.

Porzingis         WCS        
Greek Freak     Kleber      
FinneySmith    Green       
Richardson      Burke       
Doncic            Bronson    

I'm OK w/loosing Hardaway, Powell and rookies - Bey & Terry to make it happen.  Fill out the rest w/Iwundu, 2 Vet Mins, Bi-Ann and the Room.
Like Reply
So I think the good news here is that Mavs are free to make their move btwn now and the TDL. There aren't really any FA's now left that are worth waiting for if you have a trade opportunity sooner.

I think Giannis staying also makes it very likely Jrue is also staying considering the Bucks management would likely pay him whatever it takes to keep Giannis happy.

Mavs will likely have a shot at like Oladipo, Otto Porter Jr. or van Fournier. All of these players might be available at the TDL.

The fallback plan could just bring everybody back, most notably J Rich & THJ. In my view THJ is a guy you bring back if the price is right. There is no reason to resign him if some team wants to overpay. You have to judge him against Dipo, OPJ, Fournier's price as well as what you might get in the trade market. 

Next summer you might be able to get Hield for 3 years with is salary decreasing each year. I think he's a clear upgrade over THJ.

Who knows? I think even bringing everybody back + some very small moves could be fine. There is value in having a team gel together. Mavs top priority if everything goes to plan will be resigning J Rich. After that they just need good contracts that can be traded away or dumped without much trouble.

(12-15-2020, 02:22 PM)chaparral Wrote: After watching the 2 preseason games and reading what's been said (all good stuff) here is my hopes or next year.

Porzingis         WCS        
Greek Freak     Kleber      
FinneySmith    Green       
Richardson      Burke       
Doncic            Bronson    

I'm OK w/loosing Hardaway, Powell and rookies - Bey & Terry to make it happen.  Fill out the rest w/Iwundu, 2 Vet Mins, Bi-Ann and the Room.

I have some bad news...
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:35 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Guess I'm now on the Isaac to Dallas bandwagon...

Speaking of 2021 RFA's and possibly over paying if we loose out on GA.  Is it important not to over pay were they will be making more then Luka when his rookie extension kicks in in 2022-23?

So what would Luka's extension start at in 23 and what would a max 2021 RFA make in his 2nd year?
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 02:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I have some bad news...

Just give him 5 more minutes...he looks so sweet when he's dreaming.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 02:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So I think the good news here is that Mavs are free to make their move btwn now and the TDL. There aren't really any FA's now left that are worth waiting for if you have a trade opportunity sooner.

I think Giannis staying also makes it very likely Jrue is also staying considering the Bucks management would likely pay him whatever it takes to keep Giannis happy.

Mavs will likely have a shot at like Oladipo, Otto Porter Jr. or van Fournier. All of these players might be available at the TDL.

The fallback plan could just bring everybody back, most notably J Rich & THJ. In my view THJ is a guy you bring back if the price is right. There is no reason to resign him if some team wants to overpay. You have to judge him against Dipo, OPJ, Fournier's price as well as what you might get in the trade market. 

Next summer you might be able to get Hield for 3 years with is salary decreasing each year. I think he's a clear upgrade over THJ.

Who knows? I think even bringing everybody back + some very small moves could be fine. There is value in having a team gel together. Mavs top priority if everything goes to plan will be resigning J Rich. After that they just need good contracts that can be traded away or dumped without much trouble.

I have some bad news...

If you mean GA is not coming I'm OK with that.  But if he is coming is there a path to keep J-Rich?  In talking about keeping the team together I would only upgrade THJ w/ OPJ.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 02:33 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Just give him 5 more minutes...he looks so sweet when he's dreaming.

Got it...  MBT must of told him last night to stay in Milwaukee. 

Giannis Antetokounmpo Agrees To Sign Five-Year, $228.2M Supermax With Bucks - RealGM Wiretap

So now back to the other post.  Is it important not to over pay a 2021 RFA so they are not making more than Luke when his extension kicks in?  if so, what is that $$ figure.  I'm all for trying for Isaac or Anunoby and a lower cost then Luka in 2023.
Like Reply
We have realistically 2 spots in the starting lineup that could be upgraded, THJ & Powell. I think DFS is now a spot starter when everyone is healthy. THJ could have another really good year and the Mavs might want to just keep him, especially if his contract is reasonable. Then you have Powell who Rick loves. 

I guess the question for me is who is a guy the Mavs will like enough to displace one of these other players? I would trade Powell all day long but they seem happy to have him in the starting lineup. Gobert to me is not the guy bc unlike Powell he is not a 4/5 hybrid. Rick has said repeatedly he wants KP playing the 5. Rick calls Powell a 4.
Like Reply
There are some intriguing names in the RFA pool. Thats a scary pool to swim in but I do wonder if there's anyone here that could be pried away with an offer sheet...and no not necessarily a max out sheet:

PG: Lonzo Ball, Devonte Graham, Derrick White, Kendrick Nunn, Markelle Fultz (gross)

SG/SF: Luke Kennard, Gary Trent Jr (I think too highly of this kid), OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma (no thanks)

PF/C: JONATHAN ISAAC!!!, Lauri Markkanen, John Collins, Zach Collins, Duncan Robinson, Jarrett Allen, Bol Bol (I just wanted to include a 7'2" gut that shoots 3's)

Obviously there are extensions and matching in play. No doubt the Mavs will be doing deep dives on the RFA pool in terms of who could be had and what it would cost. This route is of course way riskier but I do think the #1 target should and will be Isaac anyway.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 03:16 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Rick calls Powell a 4.

Where does he say that?

He sure as hell PLAYS Powell at the 5 a lot to "say" he is the "4."
Like Reply
With GA signing his max extension, a huge chapter can be closed now. Just like that, the big 2021 FA agent crop is gone. A myth. Keyser Soze. What is left is half a league with cap space and a bunch of guys a max contract would look worse than Harris one.

Unless you are in the Kawhi may leave LAC cult or Gobert fanclub, free agency has basically became plan D to upgrade the team. Oladipo and OPJ are at best same quality as resigning JRich but probably too expensive to keep JRich and have enough cap space for their contract (while letting THJ, Bobi, WCS, Johnson walk). We could go offer near max to Collins and Isaac types (anything less will be likely matched by their current teams) but is it really worth gutting our roster to do that? If THJ really dissapoints we could keep the cap space of some 18 mil for the likes of Fournier, Oubre, or perhaps RFA White or Anunoby. But what else can SA and Toronto do but match those kind of offers now, when GA pipedream is gone. Hart might be under the radar option. There are not many other interesting names unless you want to check elderly homes for the likes of Lowry (35) or Conley (33). 

SnT may remain an interesting fall back option, but I guess, unless we love the team as it is, we have until TDL to do best moves with those THJ and Johnson expiring contracts. I think we have the ammo to bring in one starter while keeping at least four current surefire starters in Luka, KP, THJ and JRich. Or perhaps upgrade THJ with someone who can do more on offense. 2027 FRP, Brunson, Green, DFS, Kleber are all interesting assets we can combine with expiring THJ or Johnson.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 03:24 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: There are some intriguing names in the RFA pool.  Thats a scary pool to swim in but I do wonder if there's anyone here that could be pried away with an offer sheet...and no not necessarily a max out sheet:

PG: Lonzo Ball, Devonte Graham, Derrick White, Kendrick Nunn, Markelle Fultz (gross)

SG/SF: Luke Kennard, Gary Trent Jr (I think too highly of this kid), OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma (no thanks)

PF/C: JONATHAN ISAAC!!!, Lauri Markkanen, John Collins, Zach Collins, Duncan Robinson, Jarrett Allen, Bol Bol (I just wanted to include a 7'2" gut that shoots 3's)

Obviously there are extensions and matching in play.  No doubt the Mavs will be doing deep dives on the RFA pool in terms of who could be had and what it would cost.  This route is of course way riskier but I do think the #1 target should and will be Isaac anyway.
I like the PF/Cs you mentioned. Another C that people don’t bring up is Mitchell Robinson. Is he a FA next year?
Like Reply
I love OG Anunoby but I doubt Toronto lets him just walk.
Like Reply

Save me a seat.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 03:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Where does he say that?

He sure as hell PLAYS Powell at the 5 a lot to "say" he is the "4."

He said it recently in an interview he did while at camp.
Like Reply