Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(07-19-2021, 10:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: eh, I'm getting to the point where if my options are to do nothing (something we have done way too much the last two years) or overpay a little bit for a guy with real NBA talent who we could probably move if we needed to, I lean towards pulling the trigger.  

I am open to other S&T suggestions, but nobody seems inclined to provide any, leading me to believe there are very limited choices beyond Dinwiddie/Oubre.

You don't have to do SNT. And you don't have to overpay for guys. You can always try to do that next summer. 
Don't over pay for mediocre talent and get stuck with it. That's what desperate and bad teams do. 

I mean I don't want to do nothing but I'm also not about making moves to make moves. I'd rather bring back what we had last year with some tweaks than make moves to make moves that aren't good moves.
[-] The following 2 users Like cjeter24's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavs2021
Like Reply
10 days until the draft, 14 to free agency.
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 10:39 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: You don't have to do SNT. And you don't have to overpay for guys. You can always try to do that next summer. 
Don't over pay for mediocre talent and get stuck with it. That's what desperate and bad teams do. 

I mean I don't want to do nothing but I'm also not about making moves to make moves. I'd rather bring back what we had last year with some tweaks than make moves to make moves that aren't good moves.

If you don´t want to start a complete rebuild around Luka capspace is not an option next summer. The whole point about making moves this year is the opportunity to operate over the cap in the next few years.
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 10:39 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: You don't have to do SNT. And you don't have to overpay for guys. You can always try to do that next summer. 

I agree. I want to move KP, but only if it brings back a high return. I want to move on from an opted in JRich, but only if we're not paying a team to do so. I'd be fine with keeping THJ, but only on a bench player's salary. I want to move on from Powell, but only if we aren't paying a huge amount to do so. 

I think we might have a good thing going with Kidd coaching, at the very least, I think we'll have a different angle with which to see how our players fit. I don't expect Nico to fully run it back with no change, but there is a good possibility that very little change happens other than the FO and coaching staff.
Like Reply
For Kawhi it comes down to this (extremely long-worded) question:

Would you rather have unquestioned control and power over a franchise that’s located nearest your preferred location OR do you want to team up with a top 3 player in the NBA, who is 22 and has proven he can carry the load for a mid-tier playoff team, with a front office made up of people that you actually like and trust?

Kawhi chose the former last time around - has he changed his mind on what’s most important?
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 10:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: eh, I'm getting to the point where if my options are to do nothing (something we have done way too much the last two years) or overpay a little bit for a guy with real NBA talent who we could probably move if we needed to, I lean towards pulling the trigger.  

I am open to other S&T suggestions, but nobody seems inclined to provide any, leading me to believe there are very limited choices beyond Dinwiddie/Oubre.

It could be anyone up to the trade match limit (true whether operating over the cap or using space on someone other than THJ first).  It works better with teams at or over the cap (no means of replacing the lost FA).  It doesn't have to be just teams approaching or above the hard cap.  I think Dinwiddie and Oubre get brought up a lot because there is absolutely no means of replacing them outside of the TP-MLE.

I looked at teams rather than FA's to think through this.  All of the potential LAL FA's are possibilities.  I would have said Danny Green in Philly, but....  Do you contemplate a large one year deal for Dipo?  Does Miami play along if they can't land what they want with cap room.  Or, do they use a portion of their room and trade Dragic for JRich and WCS?  Will Barton?  Tristan Thompson (not a FA and only if Powell is sent somewhere in another deal)?  I would have said Indy's free agents but...  OPJ?  Boucher (mainly if they decide to carry-forward space for next year).

If is a pretty thin list outside of Dinwiddie and Oubre.  There are probably guys like Thompson who aren't FA's (I've been surprised how much love Gordon and Bledsoe have been getting both here and among members of the media.  I think I've seen three publications suggest some kind of Gordon deal).  Of course, you can expand up to the $21mm range is you pair expiring JRich with expiring WCS.  I'm not sure that changes the FA list that much, but it might the non-FA trade list.
Like Reply
(07-19-2021, 10:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I want to move KP, but only if it brings back a high return. I want to move on from an opted in JRich, but only if we're not paying a team to do so. I'd be fine with keeping THJ, but only on a bench player's salary. I want to move on from Powell, but only if we aren't paying a huge amount to do so. 

Yes. I'm also in the minority, believing KP can get back to his defensive self with a full offseason and a new player friendly coach.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • ItsGoTime, TXBamanut
Like Reply

Our options will be much more limited next year, so the always try next summer does not play as well (and what we have said the last two years).  I'm not talking about a wild panic overpay, and I'm not talking about a move just to do a move.  We have a glaring need for secondary playmaking and starter level talent.  JRich has shown he can not provide either.  Dinwiddie is not a perfect fit, but he can be a secondary play maker/scorer, is decent off ball shooter, decent defender and can run the second unit while playing with Brunson (if he is still here).  If we land somebody like Conley, then there is no point in doing that move, but if our big move is somebody like Collins, and our option is S&T JRich for 3/45 or stand pat with JRich (or Oubre or Gordon) then I probably pull the trigger on Din.
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 10:27 AM)mvossman Wrote: Our options will be much more limited next year, so the always try next summer does not play as well (and what we have said the last two years).  I'm not talking about a wild panic overpay, and I'm not talking about a move just to do a move.  We have a glaring need for secondary playmaking and starter level talent.  JRich has shown he can not provide either.  Dinwiddie is not a perfect fit, but he can be a secondary play maker/scorer, is decent off ball shooter, decent defender and can run the second unit while playing with Brunson (if he is still here).  If we land somebody like Conley, then there is no point in doing that move, but if our big move is somebody like Collins, and our option is S&T JRich for 3/45 or stand pat with JRich (or Oubre or Gordon) then I probably pull the trigger on Din.

What if your MLE signing is Caruso or McConnell in the secondary playmaker/defender role, you retain THJ operating over the cap and do the JRich S&T for someone who can defend the wing and power wings?  

I think we are missing someone in the 3/4 rotation in addition to Maxi/DFS.  I’ve mentioned the difference Crowder would have made.  Who is closest to providing that and also available in a JRich trade other than Oubre?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think we are missing someone in the 3/4 rotation in addition to Maxi/DFS.  I’ve mentioned the difference Crowder would have made.  Who is closest to providing that and also available in a JRich trade other than Oubre?
Barton comes to mind as a FA...former Mavs trade target DJJ also comes to mind if Portland decides to attach asset(s) to dump him. Similar situation in Chicago with Aminu. Swapping Kuz for JRich would save LA a few million, but he seems to be their prize trade token and I don’t know if I’d add any assets to try and get him...
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What if your MLE signing is Caruso or McConnell in the secondary playmaker/defender role, you retain THJ operating over the cap and do the JRich S&T for someone who can defend the wing and power wings?  

I think this is one of the better plans I've seen so far. Not sexy, and it will piss people off, but I'd like it soooo much better than anything that results in someone like Dinwiddie here on a fat contract.
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Who is closest to providing that and also available in a JRich trade other than Oubre?

OPJ certainly fits the description but I don't see Orlando taking JRich in a SnT. I would be certainly intrigued by DJJ as a back up wing, but again I doubt Portland would really need JRich, even if they move McCollum (tax). Than you are down to Batum, Tucker, Craig and similar. I doubt any of them is worth full MLE.
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 11:53 AM)omahen Wrote: Tucker

PJ Tucker? 

If so, I can still see him getting the MLE from someone, even at age 59. He's still a difference making defender when he wants to be. I'd LOVE him in the mix with Kleber, if larger changes aren't made.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What if your MLE signing is Caruso or McConnell in the secondary playmaker/defender role, you retain THJ operating over the cap

This probably means you are trading Brunson? I don't see McConnell or Caruso pairing with Brunson work. McConnel can't really play with Luka. If you don't move Brunson, you leave little playing time left for Green with 3 guards all hungry for minutes.

I think this would be very meh offseason. Basically we are comparing this:

Scenario 1: 24 mil FA, trade Richardson for useful wing, rMLE, BaE
Scenario 2: THJ, trade Richardson for useful wing, MLE, BaE

No way scenario 2 is better, if Harrison can call himself a recruiter. THJ+MLE can't be better than 24 mil FA+rMLE
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Dan, I love your postings generally speaking, but please don't try to talk me into being happy about the Mavs getting Oubre.
Like Reply
9 days until the draft, 13 days until free agency.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...3357784064

Much of the Mavs universe could be dropped into two categories:

1) "Don't blame Carlisle."

2) "It's Carlisle's fault."
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 12:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...3357784064

I’m firmly in the blame Donnie camp, but there is plenty of blame to go around! Starts with Donnie for me though, as he’s been the problem for over 12 years.
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 12:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...3357784064

I blame Carlisle for those two categories existing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-20-2021, 12:50 PM)cow Wrote: I blame Carlisle for those two categories existing.

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply