Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(07-17-2021, 10:16 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavsnationcp/status/...30561?s=21

He meant to say that trading KP was the top priority, but he slipped on a banana peel and accidentally said that....

I think Ross legion hoops or whatever is full of poop as well. I do not, however, take what was said at the press conference (or in radio interviews the day after) as the complete truth. If anything, when Cuban felt the need to chime in on the KP question at the press conference, it felt like an attempt to mask the unfortunate reality.

I think there’s very much a mutually exclusive decision to be made on KP/THJ this offseason. If they can land a better 2nd star, then I think KP is gone and THJ is retained.
Like Reply
In the event (low possibility it feels like) we operate over the cap and re-sign THJ, I'd also like to get two other Bartelstein players. McConnell for the MLE (makes Brunson available for trades) and Collins for the BAE (prove yourself deal, since POR declined his QO). Obviously a trade has to be made for a starter (doesn't make sense to just sign THJ without any other upgrades). Maybe it's a S&T for Lowry (another Bartelstein player) with Richardson + Brunson outgoing (or TPE).

Lowry/McConnell/Terry
Doncic/THJ
DFS/Green
Kleber/Powell/Collins
Porzingis/WCS/Boban

A lot of interesting names also under Bartelstein as well such as: Clarke (MEM), Nance (CLE), Plumlee (DET), Ingles (UTA), Portis (MIL), Hayward (CHA), Beal (WAS). 
Like Reply
11 days until the draft, 15 to free agency.
Like Reply
Plan A remains: in - Kawhi Leonard; out - Kristaps Porzingis; retain - Tim Hardaway Jr.; traded for SnT’d free agent - Josh Richardson; fill out roster with over-the-cap exceptions

Plan B-Z: that’s going to depend on who is willing to take a shorter deal, Mark wants flexibility without a legitimate 2nd superstar on the roster; Utah looks like it will make moves to give Conley the deal he wants
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 02:42 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Plan A remains:

in - Kawhi Leonard (Not happening)

out - Kristaps Porzingis (since he's letting so many cats out of the bag, I don't suppose he's named any names?)

retain - Tim Hardaway Jr. (Seems like a reasonable position depending on what happens with KP)

traded for SnT’d free agent - Josh Richardson (Agree...highest and best use)

fill out roster with over-the-cap exceptions (one thing about this plan is Dallas doesn't care if it brings back excess salary in the KP trade.  If you assume Dallas is a cap team, then you'd want to take back less than what you are sending out.  If you go the other way, you can take back $39,662,500.  Kawhi's salary with a $112.4mm cap is $39,340,000 hmmm).

Utah looks like it will make moves to give Conley the deal he wants (always figured Utah would dump some salary in their effort to keep Conley...which thwarts my favorite under the cap plan)
Like Reply
I think its crazy low chance that we get Kawhi (his injury pushes it up from 2% to 5%), but if we do, I could totally see the Clips taking KP (they almost have no choice) an opted in JRich S&T for Dinwiddie, resign THJ, keep WCS and get Noel with the MLE.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 04:05 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think its crazy low chance that we get Kawhi (his injury pushes it up from 2% to 5%), but if we do, I could totally see the Clips taking KP (they almost have no choice) an opted in JRich S&T for Dinwiddie, resign THJ, keep WCS and get Noel with the MLE.

10% - Mark likes those odds and is going for it again. And yes, that’s the general framework.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 05:11 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: 10% - Mark likes those odds

If...

A) Cuban plans to continue this strategy of maintaining flexibility for "big game hunting"...

and...

B) Harrison doesn't improve the odds of convincing one of those guys signing on to play with Luka to greater than 10%...

...then we're in for some sad times ahead.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 04:05 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think its crazy low chance that we get Kawhi (his injury pushes it up from 2% to 5%), but if we do, I could totally see the Clips taking KP (they almost have no choice) an opted in JRich S&T for Dinwiddie, resign THJ, keep WCS and get Noel with the MLE.

EVERYONE please STOP suggesting Dinwiddie S&Ts.  Brooklyn is hard capped and therefore can't take back players in S&Ts.

Carry on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 06:40 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: EVERYONE please STOP suggesting Dinwiddie S&Ts.  Brooklyn is hard capped and therefore can't take back players in S&Ts.

Carry on.

Try to read more closely.  Dinwiddie is the S&T in his example.  The presumption is JRich is under contract after opting in.  Brooklyn CAN take back a player under contract and CAN be the one sending out the S&T player.  The thing that is prohibited is Brooklyn receiving the player who another team signed and then traded.

Carry on.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ClutchDirk, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 07:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Try to read more closely.  Dinwiddie is the S&T in his example.  The presumption is JRich is under contract after opting in.  Brooklyn CAN take back a player under contract and CAN be the one sending out the S&T player.  The thing that is prohibited is Brooklyn receiving the player who another team signed and then traded.

Carry on.

Can people stop suggesting it because it's a terrible idea tho?
[-] The following 8 users Like cjeter24's post:
  • Arioch, cow, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, mvossman, Smitty, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 08:51 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Can people stop suggesting it because it's a terrible idea tho?

I'm not a huge fan of Dinwiddie.  He is kind of a poor mans DeRozan.  But he is a better off ball shooter, and not as bad a defender.  His fit is more reasonable and he does have some true scoring talent.  He would be disappointing as our primary target/get, but if we are engineering a trade of an opted in JRich (either as an over the cap move or after we landed a big fish with cap space) I'm not sure of a reasonable trade that makes more sense.  Who would you prefer?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 08:51 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Can people stop suggesting it because it's a terrible idea tho?

The summer of Wright
The summer of Richardson
The summer of Dinwiddie
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 08:58 PM)cow Wrote: The summer of Wright
The summer of Richardson
The summer of Dinwiddie

https://media.giphy.com/media/lT41neXCKM.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ClutchDirk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Most likely that Kawhi signs the 1+1 with the Clippers, doesn’t play in 21-22, and then gets his 10-year max in 2022.

Conley and his wife frankly do not like Utah. The stuff with Morant and his family is just another incident in a long line of events that have created an uncomfortable environment in SLC for black players. The Mavs have a ton of good will with the Conleys.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 10:47 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Conley and his wife frankly do not like Utah

Where are you getting this stuff?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 07:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Try to read more closely.  Dinwiddie is the S&T in his example.  The presumption is JRich is under contract after opting in.  Brooklyn CAN take back a player under contract and CAN be the one sending out the S&T player.  The thing that is prohibited is Brooklyn receiving the player who another team signed and then traded.

Carry on.

Gee, if only you had created a thread on it.

This is an extremely arbitrary rule.  For a hard capped team like Brooklyn to NOT be able to receive a sign and traded player like Reddick in a small 2yr/6mil deal, but can receive Richardson to $11 mil simply because he's previously signed is, well, arbitrary.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 11:16 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Gee, if only you had created a thread on it.

This is an extremely arbitrary rule.  For a hard capped team like Brooklyn to NOT be able to receive a sign and traded player like Reddick in a small 2yr/6mil deal, but can receive Richardson to $11 mil simply because he's previously signed is, well, arbitrary.

Receiving a player via Sign and Trade would be what triggers the hard cap... teams OVER the Tax line are not necessarily Hard Capped UNTIL they do something that triggers the HARD CAP, and that is yes arbitrary.
Like Reply
I would consider this:
Uta: Richardson
Hou: Powell, Burke, #30
Dal: Gordon, Favors

Utah gets rid of Favors for a more useful player on expiring deal. Houston gets a pick for vet they don't need. Dallas gets the best player in the trade they can use at guard or wing and a back up center while keeping assets and most of remaining cap space for the "big" signing.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 11:16 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Gee, if only you had created a thread on it.

Choices R-BWS could have made upon learning he doesn't really understand the hard-cap rules:

1.  Blame the rule book
2.  Blame the person who pointed out the mistake
3.  Be a grown-up
[-] The following 5 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ClutchDirk, KillerLeft, omahen, Paul Gasol, VintagePejav2
Like Reply