Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Trey Burke to DAL | 3 yrs, $10M
Hollinger:

Low-key, Dallas signed one of the best deals so far with Trey Burke’s three-year, $10 million deal that includes a third-year player option. Burke was fantastic in the bubble games last season and his BORD$ value of $7.1 million had him among my best backup point guard options. Combined with the move of Delon Wright above, I like the way the Mavs retooled their backcourt for the coming season and beyond.
Like Reply
Getting the feeling that Brunson is on the move with Burke + JJB news. At first I thought JJB was going to be like 15th spot mentor, but then they signed another wing and reports are they aren't done making moves. Well that would make you think that JJB is actually going to play which means the odd man out is likely Brunson. Both Burke and JJB make Brunson disposable. I wonder if Rick was trying to figure out last season whether or not he should keep Brunson which is why JJB got mostly spot duty.

I will amend my comments to say that it could be someone else on the move. Boban never really got steady minutes and Powell blew out his achilles. Any one of these guys **in theory** could get moved.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 11:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: 3 years, $10 million, yeah?

I LOVE this deal. LOVE it.
Definitely a great deal for Burke. I like him in that role of the bench. Not a great defender but he effort is there. Great buckets off the bench.
Like Reply
AUDIOSWAY!!!!
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 02:07 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: AUDIOSWAY!!!!
Dude! How's it going?
Like Reply
(11-24-2020, 02:22 AM)audiosway Wrote:
Dude! How's it going?

Going well, my guy. Good to see you here.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 08:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Getting the feeling that Brunson is on the move with Burke + JJB news. At first I thought JJB was going to be like 15th spot mentor, but then they signed another wing and reports are they aren't done making moves. Well that would make you think that JJB is actually going to play which means the odd man out is likely Brunson. Both Burke and JJB make Brunson disposable. I wonder if Rick was trying to figure out last season whether or not he should keep Brunson which is why JJB got mostly spot duty.

I will amend my comments to say that it could be someone else on the move. Boban never really got steady minutes and Powell blew out his achilles. Any one of these guys **in theory** could get moved.

I don't think JJB and/or Burke make Brunson expendable. Burke's not really a point guard here, he's more of a scoring guard. And I'm pretty sure JJB will serve the "break glass in case of emergency" role.

Brunson is really the only game ready, everyday backup pg on the roster. JRich could fill in. And I think Terry could handle those duties eventually. IMO Brunson is really important to the roster. I think the backup pg position is important, Brunson is the only one we have (for everyday use), and he's actually really good at it.
Like Reply
I love Brunson and hope he has a great year. I do agree Burke is more of a scorer. I think those two will play a lot together.
Like Reply
(11-24-2020, 02:39 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I love Brunson and hope he has a great year. I do agree Burke is more of a scorer. I think those two will play a lot together.

I think Brunson will come in to run the O when Luka sits.  Then, Burke will come in with Luka when Luka returns.  When everyone is healthy Carlisle tends to split KP and Luka’s time late 1st/3rd and early 2nd/4th.  

Hard to say how this will work with uncertainty around KP/Powell, but typically you see Brunson and one bench guy sub for Luka and one starter leaving Brunson, KP and 2 starters on the floor to end the 1st/3rd.  Then when Luka and one starter return they play with 3 bench guys.
Like Reply
(11-24-2020, 11:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:22 AM)audiosway Wrote:
Dude! How's it going?

Going well, my guy. Good to see you here.
Good deal! I'll be hanging around more now. Good to be seen.
Like Reply
Feel like we're overrating bubble performances the way we overrate NCAA Tournament performances with draft classes.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 09:19 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Feel like we're overrating bubble performances the way we overrate NCAA Tournament performances with draft classes.

I think in the case of Burke it is not an overrating. Maybe he was hot with shooting, but what he brought in the bubble are things that theoretically shouldn't go away:

Aggression
Fearlessness
Energy
Activity

When the Mavs needed those four things the MOST in critical playoff moments, BURKE stepped up. It was incredible. $3M per year is a small price to pay for having those qualities on your bench in a pinch.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 09:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 09:19 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Feel like we're overrating bubble performances the way we overrate NCAA Tournament performances with draft classes.

I think in the case of Burke it is not an overrating. Maybe he was hot with shooting, but what he brought in the bubble are things that theoretically shouldn't go away:

Aggression
Fearlessness
Energy
Activity

When the Mavs needed those four things the MOST in critical playoff moments, BURKE stepped up. It was incredible. $3M per year is a small price to pay for having those qualities on your bench in a pinch.

I liked him the first time he was around.
He fits into the system and plays with energy.  
Having a competent mircowavescorer 3rd guard seems to be a goal every season.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 09:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote:

Aggression
Fearlessness
Energy
Activity

The big question is if the Mavs just got lucky because he had one of his hot month or if he is able to produce on a similar level at all times. Burke always was a streaky player and usually he played at his best when he was fighting for a new contract.
I am hopeful when it comes to his new contract. He knows that the Mavs offered him a last chance to continue his NBA career when they signed him for the bubble. He also knows that if he isn´t living up to his contract he won´t get another one from any other team.
Like Reply
For all of his being dismissed as a scrub, Burke had PER numbers northwards of 15 throughout the 2018-19 season in both New York and Dallas. I believe the same is true for his Philly stint. I was irritated in the summer of 2019 that he was a player more useful than Lee and more consistent than THJ, and he was just going to be kicked to the curb.

Anyone concerned about this contract being a waste is just a hater.

Then again, I like WCS, so maybe I just don't know anything about NBA players and should just be ignored.
Like Reply
Burke’s ability to create shots is both valuable and needed on this, specific team. I’m very happy he’s back.

I just hope he doesn’t go too heavy on the midrange shots.
Like Reply
Maybe all of Burke's traits and assets are all true ... but he's been in the league 7 seasons and the Mavs didn't show much interest in him until they had to look for a roster spot to fill for the bubble. And now they do show interest in him on a multi year deal. Obviously the bubble performance was a deciding factor.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 11:03 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Maybe all of Burke's traits and assets are all true ... but he's been in the league 7 seasons and the Mavs didn't show much interest in him until they had to look for a roster spot to fill for the bubble.  And now they do show interest in him on a multi year deal.  Obviously the bubble performance was a deciding factor.

I think the league has been trying to make him a PG since he was drafted...and he isn’t. I think he and the Mavs finally tried to simply go with him as a scorer, and in one series, it worked. No idea if it will become consistently successful or not, but I’m confident they have a plan to play to his strengths.
Like Reply