Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Trey Burke to DAL | 3 yrs, $10M
Information 
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...9807188995
Like Reply
So far they haven´t confirmed the actual salary. I am still hoping that it is the 7-8mio vet min.
Like Reply
Seems reasonable. Hopefully he can continue his bubble play. If not, he can be moved without an issue at that price.
Like Reply
3 years, $10 million, yeah?

I LOVE this deal. LOVE it.
Like Reply
I guess it was never a plan to use full MLE. All they are doing is trying to trade Wright/Jackson
Like Reply
Game 4 win and Luka's buzzer beater vs LAC doesn't happen without Burke, glad to have him back!
Like Reply
Oh cool. Glad to see him get rewarded.
Like Reply
If the salary isn't confirmed and it's for the vet min then the Mavs might have the most value signing of the offseason. Even at Burke's worst, he's a 9ppg dude that can come off the bench and provide instant offense.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 02:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: If the salary isn't confirmed and it's for the vet min then the Mavs might have the most value signing of the offseason. Even at Burke's worst, he's a 9ppg dude that can come off the bench and provide instant offense.

Carlisle trusts him is the most key factor.  Thrilled with this signing.
Like Reply
I like the signing too. I'm glad our biggest surprise story of the bubble got rewarded. Now let's hope he can build on that performance!!!!
Like Reply
ooks like burke was signed about 400k a year over the 120% they could have made him of the minimum. 

I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if he had a better offer. But seems like a very small amount to not allow you to use the midlevel. 

The deal is very strange. Player option on the final year and a kicker? 

As Dlord always has said... Mavs need a better negotiator. That kicker and final year is kinda bs haha. 

That being said I like the deal. It's about what I figured he would get. Easily tradable if you want to/need to. He's JJB of the new bench mob.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 05:04 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: ooks like burke was signed about 400k a year over the 120% they could have made him of the minimum. 

I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if he had a better offer. But seems like a very small amount to not allow you to use the midlevel. 

As Dlord always has said... Mavs need a better negotiator. That kicker and final year is kinda bs haha. 

That being said I like the deal. It's about what I figured he would get. Easily tradable if you want to/need to. He's JJB of the new bench mob.

They got him at about 50% of what his value is, imo. In exchange for that, he'd be insane not to get a trade kicker or player option, because value contracts like this SCREAM trade bait. I'm amazed they got him this cheap, I really am. Judging by every other deal we've seen, this is amazing.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 12:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 05:04 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: ooks like burke was signed about 400k a year over the 120% they could have made him of the minimum. 

They got him at about 50% of what his value is, imo. In exchange for that, he'd be insane not to get a trade kicker or player option, because value contracts like this SCREAM trade bait. I'm amazed they got him this cheap, I really am. Judging by every other deal we've seen, this is amazing.

He was nearly out of the league and basically played one month of good basketball this year. I like Burke and am happy that he is back but I am not sure if any other team would have even tried to sign him. Certainly not for more than the vet min.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 12:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He was nearly out of the league and basically played one month of good basketball this year. I like Burke and am happy that he is back but I am not sure if any other team would have even tried to sign him. Certainly not for more than the vet min.

Well, you might be right, but he was only "out of the league" during the shutdown. 

And, he balled out at exactly the right time, during a playoff series on the national stage against the (at the time) NBA's most darling team, the Clippers. 

And, Hollinger's estimated value for hm (his opinion based on his statistical formula, I admit) was $7 million per. 

I don't think he would've gotten THAT much, but never for a second did I think he would go for the vet minimum or this little, and I'm not sure how you can support that opinion. This is an objective steal. 

Sorry you don't like the off-season. I hope that one, solitary opinion doesn't become your defining mission as a poster, because I sure did like to read your stuff before about 1 AM last night.
Like Reply
I'm glad he's back -- the dude totally earned it. And it's a DFS-level contract value as well, so there's basically no downside.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 12:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 12:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He was nearly out of the league and basically played one month of good basketball this year. I like Burke and am happy that he is back but I am not sure if any other team would have even tried to sign him. Certainly not for more than the vet min.

Well, you might be right, but he was only "out of the league" during the shutdown. 

And, he balled out at exactly the right time, during a playoff series on the national stage against the (at the time) NBA's most darling team, the Clippers. 

And, Hollinger's estimated value for hm (his opinion based on his statistical formula, I admit) was $7 million per. 

I don't think he would've gotten THAT much, but never for a second did I think he would go for the vet minimum or this little, and I'm not sure how you can support that opinion. This is an objective steal. 

Sorry you don't like the off-season. I hope that one, solitary opinion doesn't become your defining mission as a poster, because I sure did like to read your stuff before about 1 AM last night.

I mention that I am happy to have him back and you change the narrative to confront me for no reason. If you have a problem with me or my posts I really don´t know what to do. We don´t need to agree on every topic. I am able to differentiate between a move that I like even though I think the Mavs might have paid a little bit to much (Burke). Moves that I really like (Richardson trade, draft picks) and moves that I don´t like (Johnson cap clearing trade). If we would all agree on every single topic there would be no reason to have any discussion.

In Burkes case I saw no rumors linking him to any other team. That obviously does not mean that other teams were not interested but him signing the contract early suggests that he did not have a lot of options. Not really sure about Hollingers numbers. Looking at this years contracts he was off by a lot more often than not.
In a league where Dunn gets 2/10 and Augustin gets 3/21 Burke wouldn´t settle for 3/10 if he had better options. I guess in a way Burkes contract is a steal because I easily prefer him over the two mentioned guys. On the other hand I also think that he really had no other option. I don´t think any other team ranks him as high as the Mavs.
We are focusing on the one good month. The rest of the league probably evaluates him based on the 6 years and 11 month long career he had prior to the bubble.

I think Powell is a good comparisation. Just like Burke he had value for the Mavs but no other team would have given him a 3/33 deal. Burke is one of many undersized scoring guards. Most teams like the ones that they have. I think Burke is better than most of them but that´s not the point. Offers from other teams dictate the price.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 02:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In Burkes case I saw no rumors linking him to any other team. That obviously does not mean that other teams were not interested but him signing the contract early suggests that he did not have a lot of options. Not really sure about Hollingers numbers. Looking at this years contracts he was off by a lot more often than not.
In a league where Dunn gets 2/10 and Augustin gets 3/21 Burke wouldn´t settle for 3/10 if he had better options. I guess in a way Burkes contract is a steal because I easily prefer him over the two mentioned guys. On the other hand I also think that he really had no other option. I don´t think any other team ranks him as high as the Mavs.
We are focusing on the one good month. The rest of the league probably evaluates him based on the 6 years and 11 month long career he had prior to the bubble.

I think Powell is a good comparisation. Just like Burke he had value for the Mavs but no other team would have given him a 3/33 deal. Burke is one of many undersized scoring guards. Most teams like the ones that they have. I think Burke is better than most of them but that´s not the point. Offers from other teams dictate the price.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5109282]
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 12:46 PM)Tyler Wrote: I'm glad he's back -- the dude totally earned it. And it's a DFS-level contract value as well, so there's basically no downside.

Yeah there is little downside because it's small enough it's not hard to trade if needed. And can be a value deal. 
Again for me it feels like some poor negotiation on the trade kicker and player option. One or the other... Not both. 

It maybe perhaps they had to beat another offer. I'd imagine someone saw how he was used in the bubble and said hey we could use him like that in our system over here in the same way. It kind of showed how he could be used effectively.
Like Reply
Burke will be that offense off of bench when needed like it
Like Reply
Burke played great with Curry in the bubble. It will be interesting to see if he can have chemistry with Brunson.
Like Reply