Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rotation (2020-2021)
OK so I was wrong on the rotation, I think this is crystalizing for me now.

I think you see absent KP your rotation goes about 10 deep:

Luka
Rich
THJ
DFS
Powell

Burke
Brunson
Johnson
Maxi
WCS

Once KP is back I think WCS and Johnson will lose their spots in the rotation as KP is going to need at least 30 min a night. They will still play on B2B's and fill in when guys get injured. KP likely also shaves off some minutes from Maxi and Powell.

The new starting lineup I think will be:

Luka
Rich
THJ
DFS
KP

With Brunson, Burke, Maxi, Powell being your bench subs and you might just go 9 deep some nights or 10 with JJ or WCS some games. That to me is the rotation for the forseeable future absent injuries which of course will shake up rotations.
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 10:29 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: OK so I was wrong on the rotation, I think this is crystalizing for me now.

I think you see absent KP your rotation goes about 10 deep:

Luka
Rich
THJ
DFS
Powell

Burke
Brunson
Johnson
Maxi
WCS

Once KP is back I think WCS and Johnson will lose their spots in the rotation as KP is going to need at least 30 min a night. They will still play on B2B's and fill in when guys get injured. KP likely also shaves off some minutes from Maxi and Powell.

The new starting lineup I think will be:

Luka
Rich
THJ
DFS
KP

With Brunson, Burke, Maxi, Powell being your bench subs and you might just go 9 deep some nights or 10 with JJ or WCS some games. That to me is the rotation for the forseeable future absent injuries which of course will shake up rotations.
I agree we’re getting closer to seeing what this new version of the mavs will look like. I think you’re close but Johnson is still a factor. Rick talks about him tonight like he’s a player we trust. 

G-Richardson/Brunson
G-Hardaway/Burke
Point Forward- Luka/Johnson
F-DFS/Maxi
C-KP/Powell/WCS/Boban

Its WCS and Boban that might not play when KP comes back. It’s hard to rely on WCS when you don’t know what you’ll get
Like Reply
@"StepBackJay" I don't think we've seen a single minute yet for Johnson at the 3. Not sure I agree on that one.

We HAVE seen Carlisle try the 2nd unit lots of different ways, however. THJ, Powell and DFS have all taken turns with mostly reserves. I agree Powell has had the most (from memory - haven't checked the facts) but at this point, I think any of those three could be the guy who goes to the bench. And, knowing Carlisle, I don't expect him to settle into one path as soon as KP comes back. I think he goes through the experimentation process again, only with KP in the mix.
Like Reply
So we can finally start the real debate. No g-league for the Texas Legends this season. Who gets the garbage time minutes? Will Hinton and Bey at least get a chance to play a few garbage time minutes?
Like Reply
(01-01-2021, 11:02 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I agree we’re getting closer to seeing what this new version of the mavs will look like. I think you’re close but Johnson is still a factor. Rick talks about him tonight like he’s a player we trust. 

G-Richardson/Brunson
G-Hardaway/Burke
Point Forward- Luka/Johnson
F-DFS/Maxi
C-KP/Powell/WCS/Boban

I really like how you mentioned the position as point forward with Luka and Johnson, but I'm not sure if Rick's lineup has the intention of using Johnson as the main ball handler. The second unit is more likely facilitated with 3 ball handlers all around. I do like how J Johnson assists with the hand-off pass to screen the oncoming player.

Once KP comes back, I see Rick doing his bubble rotation, where he has starting unit of Luka and KP, but subs Luka first in order for KP to be the go-to guy. I see the first substitution go something like this:

OUT: Luka, J.Rich

PG - Burke
SG - THJ
SF - DFS
PF - Powell
C - KP

Then second subs completing the second unit:

PG - Brunson
SG - Burke
SF - Johnson
PF - Maxi
C - Powell/WCS

Or maybe stick with pairing Luka and KP playing exclusively together to create more chemistry. Honestly, Im not sure how the Mavs lineup is going to look like once KP comes back, so many variations, which is a good problem.
Like Reply
(01-02-2021, 01:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: So we can finally start the real debate. No g-league for the Texas Legends this season. Who gets the garbage time minutes? Will Hinton and Bey at least get a chance to play a few garbage time minutes?

I am affraid those guys will receive serious chance only if there will be injuries or trade sending several players from top10 rotation out. I am somehow dissapointed that at least Green is not included in a regular rotation.
Like Reply
I think when Johnson is the point forward, he's the 2nd ballhandler as opposed to Luka playing the same position and being the primary ballhandler. Brunson or Burke, or both, will be the game with him, more as shooters, to keep the ball moving.
Like Reply
(01-02-2021, 12:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"StepBackJay" I don't think we've seen a single minute yet for Johnson at the 3. Not sure I agree on that one.

We HAVE seen Carlisle try the 2nd unit lots of different ways, however. THJ, Powell and DFS have all taken turns with mostly reserves. I agree Powell has had the most (from memory - haven't checked the facts) but at this point, I think any of those three could be the guy who goes to the bench. And, knowing Carlisle, I don't expect him to settle into one path as soon as KP comes back. I think he goes through the experimentation process again, only with KP in the mix.

I never said JJ would play the 3, I am saying he won't be playing at all probably when KP comes back bc there aren't enough minutes to go around.

I was just listing the starters then the 5 rotation subs Rick has been using. JJ is in the big rotation but Carlisle has enough position flex btwn THJ, Rich, DFS to fill up backup SF minutes without using his bench.
Like Reply
(01-02-2021, 01:56 AM)FunkBoreland Wrote: I really like how you mentioned the position as point forward with Luka and Johnson, but I'm not sure if Rick's lineup has the intention of using Johnson as the main ball handler. The second unit is more likely facilitated with 3 ball handlers all around. I do like how J Johnson assists with the hand-off pass to screen the oncoming player.

Once KP comes back, I see Rick doing his bubble rotation, where he has starting unit of Luka and KP, but subs Luka first in order for KP to be the go-to guy. I see the first substitution go something like this:

OUT: Luka, J.Rich

PG - Burke
SG - THJ
SF - DFS
PF - Powell
C - KP

Then second subs completing the second unit:

PG - Brunson
SG - Burke
SF - Johnson
PF - Maxi
C - Powell/WCS

Or maybe stick with pairing Luka and KP playing exclusively together to create more chemistry. Honestly, Im not sure how the Mavs lineup is going to look like once KP comes back, so many variations, which is a good problem.

There just aren't enough minutes for RC to go 11 deep on nights where its competitive. It's going to be a lot more like 9. Guys get banged up so that will allow JJ/WCS to get minutes then but I don't see how you play KP/Powell/Maxi/JJ/WCS all "big" minutes with KP getting the lion's share from that group. That doesn't even account for DFS who is likely also taking "big" minutes if he remains starting PF. I don't see him coming off the bench. Somethings got to give. I know we like JJ and Rick is experimenting with point forward stuff but I don't think there's enough minutes for JJ once KP is back.
Like Reply