Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rotation (2020-2021)
I wanted to get this on paper so we can take a look at it and see what we see. Does our free agency / trade need or needs jump out at you?

The numbers reflect rotation rank

1 Luka / 6 Brunson
3 JRich / 9 Terry
4 THJ  / 10 Green
5 DFS   / 7 Maxi
2 KP    / 8 DP
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I wanted to get this on paper so we can take a look at it and see what we see. Does our free agency / trade need or needs jump out at you?

1 Luka / 6 Brunson
3 JRich / 9 Terry
4 THJ  / 10 Green
5 DFS   / 7 Maxi
2 KP    / 8 DP

That DFS would be the 2nd best play-maker in the S5. It´s obvious they need another guy that can put it on the floor and create for others. They have adressed a lot of issues, but this remains the big one, which makes Bogdanovic such an interesting target.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:10 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: That DFS would be the 2nd best play-maker in the S5. It´s obvious they need another guy that can put it on the floor and create for others. They have adressed a lot of issues, but this remains the big one, which makes Bogdanovic such an interesting target.

No way. That's JRich
Like Reply
We have so much money locked into bigs but that's still the area where I'm most concerned 
When will KP get back into the groove? How bad will Powell suck with a 2 inch vertical? 
Are we planning to ride Boban hard with KP out? He's too old to play too much
Like Reply
KP won´t be available early in the season and Powells recovery is still a huge question mark. Without WCS the Mavs might start the season with a center rotation of Maxi/Boban. Mavs need at least one more big or at least a big forward.

Trade for: Tucker
MLE: Millsap, Crowder, Favors
Sign&Trade: Woods, Gallinari (not a fan but he can play 30+ minutes as the starting PF)
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:06 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I wanted to get this on paper so we can take a look at it and see what we see. Does our free agency / trade need or needs jump out at you?

Good work. What we need imho:
1. Star secondary facilitator (probably more 2021 wish)
2. back up PG vet (I really like Hill, or perhaps just someone on vet min to cover Brunson)
3. another PF/C body. Could be vet min.
4. Big 3-D wing (Crowder, Millsap, T.Young and similar, to get the idea)
Like Reply
Yeah JRich averaged 4 assists per on a team that he led in scoring (and which nearly made the playoffs)
Like Reply
Two things stand out to me as needs

1. Big wing
2. A high enough quality player to push most of the rotation hierarchy down a notch
Like Reply
1 Luka / 7 Brunson
5 JRich / 9 Terry
3 THJ  / 10 Green
4 DFS   / 6 Maxi
2 KP    / 8 DP
Like Reply
I mean the starting lineup listed up top and the rotation behind seems spot on. Maybe Green works his way in to the top 8/9 if he develops, or his defense is just that good.

Definitely need a secondary ball handler/creator to help Luka late. Definitely need a Big body at some point. 4 or 5. KP and DP are question marks for a month or 2.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 03:45 PM)Drew Wrote: I mean the starting lineup listed up top and the rotation behind seems spot on.  Maybe Green works his way in to the top 8/9 if he develops, or his defense is just that good.

Definitely need a secondary ball handler/creator to help Luka late.  Definitely need a Big body at some point. 4 or 5.  KP and DP are question marks for a month or 2.

I think if the Mavs didn't have FA (which of course they do) then Rick still would have a pretty good rotation. The 4 spot would be the one that would fluctuate potentially game to game. I think Maxi or Powell could be plugged in over DFS depending on the matchup.

In FA I do expect them to get some kind of big wing that could push DFS to the bench. The Bog idea would move THJ to the bench and/or make him expendable. I think Bog as your other wing is an upgrade over THJ in a big way bc of his playmaking. That being said you could argue that's a luxury but I think this might be the type of move that makes the Mavs a real contender.

If Bog doesn't happen then THJ is your wing and you might be able to upgrade that DFS spot. Millsap, Gallo & Tucker are good choices. I like Ibaka and some other guys but you could argue an Ibaka or Wood are more like 5's in Rick's system. I don't think the Mavs need another 5 unless its someone cheap. I believe Boban earned more minutes and Powell is back. If you include a health KP as your main 5 then you already got 3 deep with centers. The one caveat is a guy like Baynes who could be had on a value contract, I think you might consider someone like that as a great option for when KP is on the shelf.

So ya a big wing and dumping Wright are the priorities. I am hoping Burke can be back on a cheap contract. He played great in the bubble and can play PG/SG.
Like Reply

This is a nice plan. I’m going to make these changes to reflect the possible line up to start the season.

1 Luka / 6 Brunson / Terry
2 JRich / 7 Burke(.5 MLE?) 
5 THJ  / 9 Wright / Green
3 DFS   / 10 Jackson / Bey
4 Maxi   / 8 Boban / (.5 MLE?)

Things move around a bit w DP available as you imagined. And KP even more so. But even without the question on those guys I think one more big w MLE makes sense. We have to get tougher and more physical.
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Two things stand out to me as needs

1. Big wing
2. A high enough quality player to push most of the rotation hierarchy down a notch

As the big names fly off the board, I think it's pretty clear that your #2 isn't happening.
Like Reply
How about Gallo or Tiger Woods, Scott?
Like Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Two things stand out to me as needs

1. Big wing

OPJ.  That dude is the answer to so many issues here.  Go get him!
Like Reply
I think we start the year with a lineup of

Luka / Brunson / JJB
JRich / Burke / Terry
THJ / Green
DFS / Johnson
Maxi / Boban / Powell

When KP comes back, Powell gets into shape, and the new guys acclimate, it might shift to

Luka / Brunson / JJB
JRich / Burke / Terry
THJ / DFS / Green
Johnson / Maxi
KP / Powell / Boban
Like Reply
Bumping this thread. @"fifteenth" maybe rename now that its post-free agency.

I agree with @"Branduil" that the starting lineup will be Luka, Rich, THJ, DFS, & Maxi.
Like Reply
Isn't it situational on the team you play against. For instance, how do you line up against a big backcourt like Pelicans? 

With Steven Adams © Brandon Ingram (PF) and Zion (SF).

Do you send out
WCS © Kleber (PF) and Johnson(SF) 

Definitely going to be fun seeing how it matches against other teams.
Like Reply
Pre-KP return:

Luka-Brunson-(Burke)
JRich-Burke-(THJ)-Terry-Green
THJ-(DFS)-Wes-(Green)
DFS-Johnson-(Maxi)-(Powell)
Maxi-WCS-Powell-Boban

Parentheses indicate a secondary role for that player. I expect the two rookies and Boban to get very little burn indeed, let alone the two-ways. Powell will only play in garbage time as he is eased back in. If JJB makes the team, it is a mistake. So the 10-man rotation is essentially:

Luka (1)-Brunson (9)
JRich (2)-Burke (6)
THJ (3)-Wes (10)
DFS (4)-Johnson (7)
Maxi (5)-WCS (8)

KP's return - employ morphing technology over the course of a month or two, with things ending up as:

Luka-Brunson-(Burke)
JRich-Burke-(THJ)-Terry-Green
THJ-(DFS)-Wes-(Green)
Johnson-DFS-(Maxi)-(Powell)
KP-Maxi-WCS-Powell-Boban

I agree that KP needs more of the bully-boy next to him with Johnson. WCS is of course the main casualty to a lineup that ends up:

Luka (1)-Brunson (9)
JRich (3)-Burke (6)
THJ (4)-Wes (10)
Johnson (5)-DFS (7)
KP (2)-Maxi (8)

Note that, in all lineups, yes, I do believe that Wes will be 10th in minutes played (11th in the end-of-the-season boxscores behind both KP and WCS).
Like Reply
Terry
Iwumdu
Green
Hinton
Bey
Like Reply