Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INJURY: DPowell w/ achilles | DP likely to be w/ 1st unit
(11-18-2020, 12:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 12:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think I might be the only one that doesn't mind Andre Drummond. Sure he's overpaid, but he is an historic rebounder. Dennis Rodman level of rebounding. His defensive numbers aren't bad either. He's athletic as all hell and is quick enough to run around a perimeter. 

I am a Drummond apologist and I am proud.

Do you watch him play though? 

Because, and this isn't hyperbole, if you watch him play on defense and watch HIM, not the BALL, you'll find 2-3 lazy, late rotations within the first five minutes. He doesn't play hard or smart, and that's a death sentence combination for a player who has a foot speed disadvantage anytime he's on the court. 

Rebounding numbers are sexy, but I would think anyone who saw DeAndre Jordan's half season here would understand how limited their value is. There are STILL fans who think the defense here got worse when Jordan left, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. He was a STATUE out there, and maybe that might have had something to do with GETTING REBOUNDS. 

The rebounder, imo, is not nearly as important as those who are working hard to make it possible for the rebound to be grabbed.

I'll be honest, I only watched maybe 8 Piston games last year when Blake Griffin was going off. I never focused on Drummond alone but I didn't see anything too egregious in the games I watched. He averaged some absurd 17/16/2 in those games so it was hard to think he was doing poorly. Pistons won all but 2 games that I watched. 

I don't think Drummond is a stout defensive stalwart. Put it this way, if the Mavs were to get him, I would never expect Drummond to be the anchor to a defense. But he does get a lot of steals, and blocks. While they aren't good measures for true defensive activity, it does show SOME activity. And he has all the tools to be a great defensive player, but I don't think he'll ever become that now. 

And you have a point about rebounding being a limited ceiling raiser. Good rebounding is something all good teams have, but it doesn't take a good team to a great team.

I don't want Drummond here at anything over 20 mil. But 13-15???? Thats a highway robbery and the Mavs should be so lucky to get a player like that at that price. (I get 13-15 because that's the market for Ibaka, Harrell, and other bigmen so far).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 01:03 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 12:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 12:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think I might be the only one that doesn't mind Andre Drummond. Sure he's overpaid, but he is an historic rebounder. Dennis Rodman level of rebounding. His defensive numbers aren't bad either. He's athletic as all hell and is quick enough to run around a perimeter. 

I am a Drummond apologist and I am proud.

Do you watch him play though? 

Because, and this isn't hyperbole, if you watch him play on defense and watch HIM, not the BALL, you'll find 2-3 lazy, late rotations within the first five minutes. He doesn't play hard or smart, and that's a death sentence combination for a player who has a foot speed disadvantage anytime he's on the court. 

Rebounding numbers are sexy, but I would think anyone who saw DeAndre Jordan's half season here would understand how limited their value is. There are STILL fans who think the defense here got worse when Jordan left, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. He was a STATUE out there, and maybe that might have had something to do with GETTING REBOUNDS. 

The rebounder, imo, is not nearly as important as those who are working hard to make it possible for the rebound to be grabbed.

I'll be honest, I only watched maybe 8 Piston games last year when Blake Griffin was going off. I never focused on Drummond alone but I didn't see anything too egregious in the games I watched. He averaged some absurd 17/16/2 in those games so it was hard to think he was doing poorly. Pistons won all but 2 games that I watched. 

I don't think Drummond is a stout defensive stalwart. Put it this way, if the Mavs were to get him, I would never expect Drummond to be the anchor to a defense. But he does get a lot of steals, and blocks. While they aren't good measures for true defensive activity, it does show SOME activity. And he has all the tools to be a great defensive player, but I don't think he'll ever become that now. 

And you have a point about rebounding being a limited ceiling raiser. Good rebounding is something all good teams have, but it doesn't take a good team to a great team.

I don't want Drummond here at anything over 20 mil. But 13-15???? Thats a highway robbery and the Mavs should be so lucky to get a player like that at that price. (I get 13-15 because that's the market for Ibaka, Harrell, and other bigmen so far).

Good example for overrated rebounding numbers. Guys like Gasol or Lopez had a bigger impact on team rebounding than a guy like Drummond. Bigman that chase rebounds instead of boxing out rarely have a positive impact on team rebounding. Same for DAJ. Mavs weren´t any worse without him.
If I had to pick a guy for rebounding only Adams would be easily ahead of Drummond. Similar numbers on the offensive board but not chasing rebounds on defense.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 02:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If I had to pick a guy for rebounding only Adams would be easily ahead of Drummond. Similar numbers on the offensive board but not chasing rebounds on defense.

I actually agree with you there. Adams>Drummond for me. I think Adams is more cerebral on the court and has better positioning than Drummond ever has. 

The only reason why I said I'm a Drummond apologist is that I feel a lot of people around here would treat an acquisition of Drummond akin to the plague. Which I think is kinda crazy. He isn't a superstar, but he isn't deadweight. I think Erik Dampier and Diop has forever scarred us from big men.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1334162082275733505

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...4026528771
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/tp8vvD4NCx.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 12:32 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1334162082275733505

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...4026528771

Hide this from Dougie!!!
Like Reply
Glad Dwight is healthy and back to his below average NBA player status!!!
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
The nugget about him dunking was in his interview today....was talking about the milestone of dunking for the first time when they were in the bubble (which would have been like August), so months ago.
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 03:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The nugget about him dunking was in his interview today....was talking about the milestone of dunking for the first time when they were in the bubble (which would have been like August), so months ago.

I like that! I really wish he would give us a video. I can't believe he hasn't given a taste of what a post-achilles Dwight dunk look likes. His vertical was 35 inches before. I wonder if he can at least jump more of an average NBA vertical of 28 inches or so.

My theory is that a crafty player like Dwight can still be useful similar to how Zaza who could not jump at all but was still a productive NBA player.

I think likely our expectations are so low (Dwight will move like 40 yr old Dirk with zero lift) that I imagine he will easily beat expectations.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...2568615938
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 01:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...2568615938

Tantalizing! I think we have to take this as good news. If he was looking slow then maybe he would be getting reps with the 2nd unit. You would think that DFS is starting next to Powell but man defense would look rough. 

Against the Suns you will have Jae Crowder & Ayton in your front court. Powell would be on Ayton and you could start Maxi or DFS against Crowder I think. Personally I'd rather see Maxi with Powell knowing how well they play together plus the fact that Maxi rebounds and defends so well. I am a DFS fan for sure but with J Rich in the lineup now as your best perimeter defender you aren't forced to start DFS necessarily.

Do we still not have any live action video of Powell moving around in camp?
Like Reply
If Powell shows to have lost a step, I wonder how many games it'll be before Carlisle pulls him and plays Maxi instead.
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 02:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Tantalizing! I think we have to take this as good news. If he was looking slow then maybe he would be getting reps with the 2nd unit. You would think that DFS is starting next to Powell but man defense would look rough. 

Against the Suns you will have Jae Crowder & Ayton in your front court. Powell would be on Ayton and you could start Maxi or DFS against Crowder I think. Personally I'd rather see Maxi with Powell knowing how well they play together plus the fact that Maxi rebounds and defends so well. I am a DFS fan for sure but with J Rich in the lineup now as your best perimeter defender you aren't forced to start DFS necessarily.

Do we still not have any live action video of Powell moving around in camp?

You still have CP3 and Booker to account for and I think they are a higher level danger than Crowder ( who has yet to report). I'm not wanting Luka on either of those two, I'd say Crowder is a good match for Jae and let your better defenders worry about the Suns backcourt.
Like Reply
How many games before they put me in a padded room? Over/Under 3.5
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 03:32 PM)michaeltex Wrote: You still have CP3 and Booker to account for and I think they are a higher level danger than Crowder ( who has yet to report). I'm not wanting Luka on either of those two, I'd say Crowder is a good match for Jae and let your better defenders worry about the Suns backcourt.

Ya that's a good point. So that would mean DFS, J Rich I guess guard CP3 & Booker, THJ on Bridges and Luka on Crowder? Powell would be the center. I really don't like Powell and DFS as a tandem. Let's see what Rick does. Ideally if you are playing DFS at the 4 then you start WCS or Maxi at the 5 spot. If you put Maxi in at PF then Powell is probably fine at the 5.
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 05:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: How many games before they put me in a padded room? Over/Under 3.5

I'll take under...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 05:28 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: How many games before they put me in a padded room? Over/Under 3.5

Once you see that pep in his step when he makes a bounce pass, I think you'd change your mind  Wink
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 06:02 PM)BolsDamols Wrote:

Once you see that pep in his step when he makes a bounce pass, I think you'd change your mind  Wink

Naw, he even hates healthy DP.
Like Reply
(12-08-2020, 06:48 PM)embellisher Wrote: Naw, he even hates healthy DP.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply