Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#18 PICK: Josh Green | 6' 5.5" | 6' 9.75" wingspan
I wish there were a 6th man category between role player and starter in the analysis. I'm actually excited about Terry becoming "bench Seth Curry". I'm not sure what to think of the Green pick and I'd probably hate it if the draft class were any stronger. I also harp on the MBT for not going with upside athletes and that seems like what Green is so...
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 03:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 03:37 PM)burekemde Wrote: how did this do in the previous years? Maybe the site's algorithm is a bust in it self? Big Grin
http://tothemean.com/2018/06/10/nba-draft-2018.html

Here's 2018.

Luka's percentages- 24% to bust/25% to be a role player/35% to start/15% to be a star. 

Conversely they had Wendell Carter Jr with the highest percentage to be a star at 41%

Im not convinced, of course they rate higher the top players picked. If they had some lower picked player that turns out to be a star, and they predicted this, when nobody else did, and they consistenly do that. And they consistently predict well who is going to bust. And stats show that there is a valid case it works, then Id be impressed. They had Young a pretty low star score I see.
Like Reply
In Rick's system, Josh Green's spot is literally the easiest one on the floor. I think it's not a coincidence that guys like DFS, Crowder and Aminu quickly got a role in Rick's offense. That's because on offense this person really needs to stand on the perimeter and jack up shots. Sometimes they will need to make a good cut to the basket. That is about it. DFS is awesome at timing his cuts but I don't know that he was necessarily that good to start. DFS could not shoot at all when he first got here and still easily beat out Justin Anderson.

The harder part if you are a rookie is figuring out your responsibilities on defense. That's where a smart, good defender like Green can do well. If he can make the transition to NBA-level defense pretty early then on offense he really doesn't need to do much but shoot open shots and hopefully make some.

I could see him getting 10 mpg at backup SF in a steady rotation. I don't think he will get as many minutes as Jackson got unless there's injuries bc Mavs have more depth this year. At 10 mpg he might get up 2 outside shots a game.
Like Reply
I think Josh Green will become our mini Klay Thompson. Fantastic defense, lethal threepointer. 

He just needs to be a solid shooter. I don't expect 40%, but hopefully 36%+.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff-sOxt2S9A
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm_WWQcy1WA
Like Reply
And another interview. Love his attitude. That´s the  type of player I want on my team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHMyMb7SIM
Like Reply
Are you allowed to sign 1st round picks to 2-way contracts?
Like Reply
(11-23-2020, 04:33 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Are you allowed to sign 1st round picks to 2-way contracts?

Ha! No. 1st round picks have guaranteed contracts with set amounts once they join your team.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgdHsVcqG18
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think Josh Green will become our mini Klay Thompson. Fantastic defense, lethal threepointer. 

He just needs to be a solid shooter. I don't expect 40%, but hopefully 36%+.
Actually watch his shooting form though on one of his youtube highlight videos. Either Green practiced mimicking Klays shooting form or it's just a coicidence, but there's no question the form on his shot is eerily reminiscent of Klays. His base seems to get a little wonky when he shoots off movement, but otherwise I don't get when I hear draft experts say he's a defensive guy with major work required on his jumpshot.

A lot of the wings considered to be the best shooters in this draft class are coming off the sophomore or junior seasons in college, and did not shoot much better than Green if you look at their freshman years. 78% FT. It looks to me like people are sleeping on his jumpshot as though its some major work in progress.

Needs to improve his base off movement and maybe speed up his motion (though Luka has a slow shooting motion and he gets much more defensive attention than Green will likely ever get), but if your shooting form is similar to Klay Thompson's you're on the right track. He can also hit mid range shots and has a floater game. He hit 46% from 3 his last 10 college games (Nesmith was getting called one of the elite shooters in this draft after hitting 52% from 3 in only 14 games, after hitting 33% his freshman year??).

To me it seems like people even on this forum are higher on both Terry and Bey than Green, but that 3 ball percentage was trending straight up towards the end of the season, especially those corner 3's.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...2821151747

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1333529088301142028
Like Reply
Green is looking pretty good. His athleticism and tenacity on defense are as advertised, but his his offensive game is more developed than I thought it would be. His shot is smooth, he has a pretty natural floater and his handles and passing aren't obvious liabilities for a just turned 20 year old who played .5 years of college.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 08:03 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: his offensive game is more developed than I thought it would be.

RC was interviewed pregame and asked about Green and then also postgame....

In both interviews RC talked about how SMART and INTUITIVE Green is within the flow of an offense, always doing the right thing like cutting, passing it along, pump faking and driving, etc. This has blown me away, he is better than most of the vets at all this. He is going to contribute quickly at a potentially pretty high level. RC said he was "ready" after the draft and I was shocked by that, but the Mavs scouted well and knew.
Like Reply
He's really a pretty ideal complimentary piece to a 2nd unit featuring Brunson and Burke right now. He can allow them to hide on defense a little bit and doesn't need the ball to participate in the flow of the offense. Actually a 2nd unit of Brunson/Burke/Green/Maxi/WCS is kinda spicy.
Like Reply
Kid played a solid game. He can be a poor man Marion
Like Reply
The fact that Green has been a fixture in the 2nd unit goes to show how much Carlisle likes the dude. He isn't getting spot minutes in the 4th. Green is playing legit minutes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Ready to see more of Green tomorrow night. Loved that he knocked down the couple of corner 3s the other night, and has the couple of nice floaters as well.

Now that GA is staying in Milwaukee, I am fine with keeping THJ and working to find the player that will let us run a Luka/THJ/JRich/MissingPlayer/KP. 

If Green is more ready than thought and develops quickly though, he could be subbed in for THJ which would make finding that missing player easier.
Like Reply
Two things stand out:

- Activity: Especially on offense. He is always trying to make a play off the ball. Never standing still. Really reminds me of Klay Thompson.

- Feel for the game and timing: He probably already is the best cutter on the entire roster. He might not finish the play all the time but he gets to the rim on sneaky backdoor cuts or slip screens. RC metioned that being a great cutter is one of the most underrated skills in the modern NBA. Good spacing creates bigger gaps between defenders and having players that can take advantage of the space is a big part of the Mavs offense.
Like Reply
Kevin O'Connor on his podcast said that one of his big takeaways on the preseason is the Mavs are the sneaky contender in the West (although he says the Lakers are the clear cut favorites). One is Josh Richardson looks terrific. Second is how NBA ready Green looks. He looks more comfortable already in the Mavs offense than he did in college. He thinks he had Green ranked too low in the draft and didn't properly take into account all the things he can bring to the NBA. He also hears that he's a tremendous worker.
Like Reply