Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Draft Night Prediction Game
I definitely remember you were a proponent of adding Richardson, @"ItsGoTime"
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 11:53 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Bump for Dan's thought. Hey, this is a good start for seeing what you want to see I think. The question was asked "What do you think the Mavs will do", not what do you think the Mavs should do. So a bit different than what you're asking.

Thanks for that.  More Green love there than I remember.  One or two people were kind of anti-Green and he didn't get as much attention as he probably deserved in pre-draft conversations (actual conversations, not lists).  It is a bit different than what I asked, but I was mainly being snarky.  It felt to me like more people were claiming to have pushed for Precious than I remembered.  BTW, I differentiate between pushing for someone and having him high on a list of several players, but it isn't like there is some contest where I'm making up rules.  I mainly wanted to have a reference for a year from now when half the board says they "knew" he was going to be great (I didn't see the fit if anyone cares).

I give Omahen all the credit on leading discussions regarding Richardson.  He mainly wanted to do a bigger deal that also brought back a bigger contract like Horford in the first iteration of the deals he proposed (very early in the pre-season).  I think Omahen's focus on Richardson led to other discussions where people proposed a variety of simpler deals.  I suspect a lot of us responded positively to some variations (I would have given 31 with Curry, so I'm ecstatic that it worked the way it did).
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 12:44 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: He mainly wanted to do a bigger deal that also brought back a bigger contract like Horford in the first iteration of the deals he proposed
Oh ya, that's right, he added Horford cause of the thought that Phi wouldn't want to part with JRich, so taking on Horford was the way to entice them.

(12-29-2020, 12:44 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Thanks for that.  More Green love there than I remember.  One or two people were kind of anti-Green and he didn't get as much attention as he probably deserved in pre-draft conversations (actual conversations, not lists).  It is a bit different than what I asked, but I was mainly being snarky.  It felt to me like more people were claiming to have pushed for Precious than I remembered.  BTW, I differentiate between pushing for someone and having him high on a list of several players, but it isn't like there is some contest where I'm making up rules.  I mainly wanted to have a reference for a year from now when half the board says they "knew" he was going to be great (I didn't see the fit if anyone cares).

I give Omahen all the credit on leading discussions regarding Richardson.  He mainly wanted to do a bigger deal that also brought back a bigger contract like Horford in the first iteration of the deals he proposed (very early in the pre-season).  I think Omahen's focus on Richardson led to other discussions where people proposed a variety of simpler deals.  I suspect a lot of us responded positively to some variations (I would have given 31 with Curry, so I'm ecstatic that it worked the way it did).
For what it's worth, because of this interest from you and a thought brought up by Kamm in this thread, we're discussing doing something just like this with contests and stuff. As big as it could be, it might have to be a fully new forum.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 12:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Oh ya, that's right, he added Horford cause of the thought that Phi wouldn't want to part with JRich, so taking on Horford was the way to entice them.

I would still be 100% out on that, even knowing what we (think we) know about Richardson’s fit.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 12:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Oh ya, that's right, he added Horford cause of the thought that Phi wouldn't want to part with JRich, so taking on Horford was the way to entice them.

Actually I had Horford in early last season. I think his veteran presence would be great. However he looked so washed during the season that I abandoned the idea of adding him, especially since cap space was still important. So the idea was reduced to Curry for Richardson as the fit seemed obvious. As many others I was sure Mavs would have to pay a pick. 

Now that cap space is no longer important, I am contemplating Horford idea again. He doesn't look that bad with OKC and would be a definite upgrade over Powell and Johnson. Of course this is far from number one option I would do.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 01:08 PM)omahen Wrote: Now that cap space is no longer important, I am contemplating Horford idea again. He doesn't look that bad with OKC and would be a definite upgrade over Powell and Johnson. Of course this is far from number one option I would do.

I have always thought he was underrated, and I’m not sure he’s washed, but I think his best position is the 5, and I don’t view him as a fit with Porzingis at all. 

Cap space or no, that contract is prohibitive, imo, especially for a guy who wouldn’t start.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 12:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would still be 100% out on that, even knowing what we (think we) know about Richardson’s fit.

I know, you are always against everything and never say what you would actually do. Other than theoretic ideal, that will realistically not happen Smile 

Horford actually fills a lot of criteria you stated yesterday. I watched OKC-Utah last night and those youngsters are fun to watch. If Dort develops consistent offense, he will be a star with the way he plays defense. He was killing Mitchel first three quarter but ran out of gas in the fourth. I am really interested how Luka will look against him. Bazley is also developing nicely.

Oh, and btw for all Gobert + KP afficionados. Gobert is a horrible perimeter defender. He had problems guarding Horford and Muscala on perimeter so you can imagine what it would look like against more skilled players. 

For Terry vs Maledon debate. I doubt Terry would look worse. Maledon looked far from contributing reliably in this first few games.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 12:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
For what it's worth, because of this interest from you and a thought brought up by Kamm in this thread, we're discussing doing something just like this with contests and stuff. As big as it could be, it might have to be a fully new forum.

https://www.qabickcents.com/dallasbasket...hp?tid=722&pid=55541#pid55541
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 01:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Cap space or no, that contract is prohibitive, imo, especially for a guy who wouldn’t start.

We would basically switch two negative contracts for one. Next season he becomes tradeable as he is not fully guaranteed in the last season. I think it still beats doing nothing with Johnson contract. And I really believe his vet presence would make wonders for this young team. Him and George Hill are the only trade candidates I see that could fill that role.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 01:24 PM)omahen Wrote: We would basically switch two negative contracts for one. Next season he becomes tradeable as he is not fully guaranteed in the last season. I think it still beats doing nothing with Johnson contract. And I really believe his vet presence would make wonders for this young team. Him and George Hill are the only trade candidates I see that could fill that role.

I don’t disagree with the idea that Horford would a great locker room addition. That’s valid. 

And, he’d be nice to have when KP is out, which is possible at all times, I guess. It still bothers me to commit so much money to a guy I don’t feel can play WITH KP. 

I suspect the BIGGEST point of divergence between us might be how we view the outgoing players. As I’m writing this, I can’t remember if your deal involves Powell, THJ or both, but I still have hope for both, up to a point. And, I know you think little of Johnson, but three games in I’m cautiously optimistic that he can bring quite a bit that this team needs.

George Hill is a fit and would make them better.  Might be a bit long in the tooth for this team’s timeline, given that they might not quite be close enough for adding him to matter enough to justify giving up very much. But, maybe that’s pessimistic of me.
Like Reply
(12-29-2020, 01:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: As I’m writing this, I can’t remember if your deal involves Powell, THJ or both

Powell and Johnson. If we add Hill, one other around 3 mil contract needs to be added (Green, WCS or Bobi). Johnson plays nice defense but he is still greatly overpaid and his best use is as a salary match. We can have him for vet min next season
Like Reply