Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-19-2020, 02:25 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: Of course Bogdan isn't going to come cheap from a $$$ standpoint. Mavs may have 0 interest in paying him around 20 mill. Again just speculation based on the contracts and salary cap matching, that's the max contract # the Bucks will be able to give. 

I'd put it somewhere around 15 mill tho with the rough math going on in my head as to what they are wanting to offer so they can also use the MLE to fill out the roster. 
They'd have 5 guys under contract with Jrue and Bogdan on the team plus Giannis' brother lol. 
So it's a lot of work to finish rounding out the team. 

I'm suspecting Bogdan costs about 20 mill per year.

20M doesn't seem crazy or like an unmovable object. If he's one of the better options for the next two years, we should run instead of walk into trying to see if he wants to play with Luka and KP (not sure if there is a Euro connection already).
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 02:08 AM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:59 AM)loki Wrote: Here are some 2021 cap space estimates assuming Dallas signs all 3 draft picks and the cap goes up by the minimum 3%. Plenty of room to maneuver, especially if keeping a max slot open (32.7 mil) is not required.

1) Richardson opts-in: 17.9
   a) Trade Wright: 25.5
   b) Waive Powell: 23.6
   c) Both a and b: 31.2

2) Richardson opts-out: 28.6
   a) Trade Wright: 36.2
   b) Waive Powell: 34.3
   c) Both a and b: 41.9

The main thing that some others have pointed out is that the FA class is looking a lot weaker now. I'd say you don't have to have max cap space for any free agent next year if Giannis does indeed sign the Supermax. 

Are we really passing up deals that would improve us now for Dipo, the hope of LAC guys bailing, Griffin, Oubre, Gobert? Half those guys you might be able to find a way to trade for now. Your best restricted guy that's gettable the next 2 years is probably Bogdan.

I'd agree with that. I'm all for adding another major piece this offseason, but ideally they will maintain enough flexibility to do the same thing again next year.

(11-19-2020, 02:06 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: We've talked a lot of about Hield, Dipo, Hayward, Bogdan but you know we haven't spent a lot of time on Fred Vanvleet.  Raptors just drafted Malachai Flynn that is a similar player.  Most likely FVV is still going back to Toronto but that would a pretty sweet get for the Mavs.  He's only 26.  39% from three.  Definitely secondary offense creator.  Solid defender.

I'm all for making a run at FVV. A sign and trade around THJ would be the simplest way. He'd replace THJ's shooting and give us another plus perimeter defender. Richardson will help guarding 1's and 2's as well, but there's no guarantee he's around long term. 

I won't argue with a Bogdan signing, but he concerns me defensively.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/cx305MBsSqI
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
My ranked wish list at this point:

1) FVV (but I don't think he's realistic)
2) Jerami Grant (only realistic, I think, if you dump THJ for air somehow - I don't think you're going to get him away from Denver otherwise)
3) Wood (no way are you getting him for the MLE, this is another SnT/THJ leaves situation)
4) OPJ
5) Buddy Love (don't think he's available, since the Kings have to ditch Bogi)
6) Bogi
7) Gallo (just to piss cow off, although I like his fit at the four if THJ leaves, less so if THJ stays)
8) Hayward

I'm sure there will be some other nice suggestions. I'm still pretty darn leery of Hayward's health, especially at a long-term contract. 

I would rate Richardson marginally as the fourth-best player on a contending team, whereas I had said THJ and DFS were both 5th-best guys (with differing skillsets). I do believe that Richardson has assumed the mantle of the third-best player on the team for the time being. If the Mavs can go get a guy with what trade assets they have left who is better than Richardson - and I would certainly assert that all eight of those above options are overall better at basketball than Richardson - *and* get a rotation-level/almost-starter level player with the MLE - then the roster for the coming year will be so much better than last year's, it's not even funny.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/karymack/status/1329305201933578241

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...8081833986
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 02:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 3) Wood (no way are you getting him for the MLE, this is another SnT/THJ leaves situation)

Why not Wright+Jackson+2027 FRP? If you believe in him, he is worth the pick.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 02:56 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 02:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 3) Wood (no way are you getting him for the MLE, this is another SnT/THJ leaves situation)

Yes - but I don't think Detroit does that deal.
Like Reply
How does Gallo piss me off?

(11-19-2020, 02:56 AM)omahen Wrote:

70 game sample size makes it hard to be sure. A future FRP locks up our trade maneuverability.
Like Reply
This sure turned out better than the early rumor about us trading #18 for freaking Gallinari. God that would have been a disaster.
Like Reply
What do you guys think about Aron Baynes? This guy is a free agent this off season, will be relatively cheap, and fills a solid need for us down low especially with Porzingis missing the start of the season. He brings a toughness too, and can shoot from the outside. I think low-key it is a pickup that can really solidify all the great moves we have made so far in this draft.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 04:59 AM)Kingsideboogie Wrote: What do you guys think about Aron Baynes? This guy is a free agent this off season, will be relatively cheap, and fills a solid need for us down low especially with Porzingis missing the start of the season. He brings a toughness too, and can shoot from the outside. I think low-key it is a pickup that can really solidify all the great moves we have made so far in this draft.

He is a good player, but i think Mavs will be looking for vet min guy. Once KP returns, Baynes would be redundand. If there is no other use for Jackson contract, why not trade him to Utah for Ed Davis and perhaps get a future second rounder from them?
Like Reply
Luka / Brunson /  Terry
Richardson / Green / (Wright) 
Hayward / DFS / Bey
Kleber / Powell (Bey)
KP / WCS / Bobi

Would this be a championship team? Is it possible to get Hayward with THJ? Its obvious he is a lot of better player than THJ. Defense wise this is a huge upgrade over last season. on PF and C it is not an improvement as it is on SG and SF, but we get Powell back and Bey can also add something here besides playing as a backup SF. With Green and Richardson on SG position and also Wright able to add here, I do not see the place for THJ. We need a good shooter and defender as SF, this is Hayward that is a massive upgrade over DFS here. This is a better team than last year - the most important part we have improved right now, and still have the future picks and building our core. Great moves.

UPDATE: 

Is it anyway possible to get Hayward AND Millsap? This would mean a title IMO. By dealing THJ and Wright for instance? 

Luka / Brunson  /Terry
Richardson / Green
Hayward / DFS / Bey 
Millsap / Kleber / Powell
KP / WCS / Bobi

These are top notch 5 starting players and a good depth. If rookies perform off the bench with depth, this could give a title.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 06:10 AM)burekemde Wrote: Is it anyway possible to get Hayward AND Millsap? This would mean a title IMO. By dealing THJ and Wright for instance? 

Luka / Brunson  /Terry
Richardson / Green
Hayward / DFS / Bey 
Millsap / Kleber / Powell
KP / WCS / Bobi

These are top notch 5 starting players and a good depth. If rookies perform off the bench with depth, this could give a title.

I agree this is great line-up and I would pay FRP to get it done. Some here would not.
Like Reply
The next move will be interesting. Bogdan, Hayward, and Gallinari are the big names we're talking about right now, but I feel like all of those guys are THJ replacements in the starting lineup. Like, you want both JRich and DFS in the starting lineup so they can defend the best guard and best wing on the other team, then you have Luka and KP as your stars on offense. That leaves one spot open.

The platonic ideal, of course, would be a two-way wing who can also be a secondary playmaker. Hayward's injury problems are too scary for me, and I feel Gallinari is a bit too old and one-dimensional, so I'd definitely pick Bogdan out of those 3.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 01:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" It's not really being talked about, but aren't we technically still within the boundaries of your plan HIBW? In fact, if the off season stopped right this second, are they CLOSER to cap space?

And they've managed to completely misdirect us away from complaining about it. 

If this works, you extend Richardson and maybe even THJ. Or, one or the other. If not - there's some space to sign players, absorb contracts (for draft capital), etc, etc. 

Donnie is KILLING IT lately, immfhao

I agree.  Richardson is probably expiring as he will opt-out next summer assuming health.  People can debate who is better, but the Mav's got someone who fits better and has a shorter contract.  That is HIBW's for sure.  

The have an interesting decision to make on the rookies second rounders.  They don't have to guarantee their second year, and their standard deal is similar to a minimum.  But, we can pay them anything we want using cap room (if available) or exceptions.   If they go the route they did with Brunson and use some of the MLE, that uses up extra cap room. 

Of course, it they use some of the MLE, then any more talent that comes here comes via trade.  So, HIBW's still depends on the duration of the player they trade for.  If they trade for Gallinari on a multi-year...not so HIBW's.  They might as well extend THJ and Richardson when they can.  If they deal Wright/Jackson for someone like Thaddeus Young, that is HIBW's.  Personally, I'd like to see Christian Wood here.  Maybe you trade for him using Wright/Jackson.  Maybe you sign him with the MLE to a 1+1 with the idea you use cap room on him next summer (not max, but we will have some room).  

It feels to me like we need a starting 4.  It would make the lineup make sense.  If Wright/Jackson go out, you have five guards in Luka/Richardson, Brunson/Green and Terry.  You have five bigs in KP/(Wood), Maxi/Powell and Boban.  THJ and DFS would be your 3's and Bey probably starts in the G-League.
Like Reply
I know the Mavs want to make more moves but I am actually really happy with the current roster.

Doncic / Brunson
THJ / Green / Terry
Richardson
DFS / Kleber / Bey
KP / Boban

Not interested in any of the injury-prone big names or big contracts. Add a 3/4 or 4/5 with the MLE. Best case would be Crowder, Millsap or Favors.
Move Wright and Jackson  to clear roster spots or trade them for better fitting overpaid guys like Kyle Anderson or Thad Young.
If the Mavs still have a free roster spot. Add a reclamation project like Josh Jackson or bring back Trey Burke.
Like Reply
Any word on Mavs brining Burke back to fill JJ role of change of pace spark type of player?
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 01:45 AM)cow Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: No not at all, but I think THEY believe he was not only good last season, but a big part of why the team was successful.  

I really think THEY are probably happy to keep THIS version of Hield who they already know fits their culture, wants to be here and hasn't yet required a long term financial commitment. 

I know Richardson will shoot better than he did last year, but I think he's the guy who will have the ball a little more than anyone besides Luka did last season, so THJ is objectively a better offensive fit, I think (might be wrong about this). I have an easier time seeing Richardson do what Burke did than what Curry did on offense, if that makes sense. 

By all accounts, we should have been bitching about THJ like we did Parsons and Barnes.  Mostly to his credit, but also to the coaching staff and his pops, he's been a great Maverick and came closer to earning the dollars on his contract than any of hoped to imagine.  He's also a great kid.  Of course Donnie is going to talk him up, but we all know his limitations

As Killer said, I think Richardson relieves some of Hardaway's shortcomings.  Richardson is a good playmaker and will cover the opponents best guard.  Since neither THJ nor Luka are cut out for that defensive role, it make their pairing an issue.  If you want secondary playmaking, it often comes from a guard.  But THJ isn't good at that either.  But, THJ is a good spacer and Luka/Richardson need that.

All three can and should start together because Richardson glues it all together in a way Curry couldn't.  If the guy could hit 40% of his 3's he'd be making $20mm a year.  He's basically a poor man's Holiday.  Plus, it is position-less basketball.  Luka is really a point forward, not a point guard.  Hardaway is a wing.  He gets half his time at SG and half at SF.  Richardson is a secondary ball handler/point of attack defender.  It all works just fine.  

I think we are done with the Hayward/Dipo conversation.  What we need now is someone like Wood or OPJ to move DFS or Maxi to the bench.  I'm hoping this is where keeping Lee during the bubble comes into play.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 07:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I know the Mavs want to make more moves but I am actually really happy with the current roster.

Doncic / Brunson
THJ / Green / Terry
Richardson
DFS / Kleber / Bey
KP / Boban

Not interested in any of the injury-prone big names or big contracts. Add a 3/4 or 4/5 with the MLE. Best case would be Crowder, Millsap or Favors.
Move Wright and Jackson  to clear roster spots or trade them for better fitting overpaid guys like Kyle Anderson or Thad Young.
If the Mavs still have a free roster spot. Add a reclamation project like Josh Jackson or bring back Trey Burke.
I wouldn’t be disappointed if this is generally the lineup we go into the season with. I just think there is more out there to be had to really push this team into a competitive first round home team. I hope to get another at least marginally good offensive creator who can play defense. I think that shores up our end of game woe’s.

Getting that guy now helps us solidify our long term lineup that can gel and be a contender next year.

(11-19-2020, 07:25 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:45 AM)cow Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: No not at all, but I think THEY believe he was not only good last season, but a big part of why the team was successful.  

I really think THEY are probably happy to keep THIS version of Hield who they already know fits their culture, wants to be here and hasn't yet required a long term financial commitment. 

I know Richardson will shoot better than he did last year, but I think he's the guy who will have the ball a little more than anyone besides Luka did last season, so THJ is objectively a better offensive fit, I think (might be wrong about this). I have an easier time seeing Richardson do what Burke did than what Curry did on offense, if that makes sense. 

By all accounts, we should have been bitching about THJ like we did Parsons and Barnes.  Mostly to his credit, but also to the coaching staff and his pops, he's been a great Maverick and came closer to earning the dollars on his contract than any of hoped to imagine.  He's also a great kid.  Of course Donnie is going to talk him up, but we all know his limitations

As Killer said, I think Richardson relieves some of Hardaway's shortcomings.  Richardson is a good playmaker and will cover the opponents best guard.  Since neither THJ nor Luka are cut out for that defensive role, it make their pairing an issue.  If you want secondary playmaking, it often comes from a guard.  But THJ isn't good at that either.  But, THJ is a good spacer and Luka/Richardson need that.

All three can and should start together because Richardson glues it all together in a way Curry couldn't.  If the guy could hit 40% of his 3's he'd be making $20mm a year.  He's basically a poor man's Holiday.  Plus, it is position-less basketball.  Luka is really a point forward, not a point guard.  Hardaway is a wing.  He gets half his time at SG and half at SF.  Richardson is a secondary ball handler/point of attack defender.  It all works just fine.  

I think we are done with the Hayward/Dipo conversation.  What we need now is someone like Wood or OPJ to move DFS or Maxi to the bench.  I'm hoping this is where keeping Lee during the bubble comes into play.
Love, love love your two targets. Would be awesome to get both. Only thing I’ll say is when has RC not wanted more creators? I believe that is the genesis of his little people ball coaching.
Like Reply
(11-19-2020, 07:25 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: What we need now is someone like Wood or OPJ to move DFS or Maxi to the bench.  I'm hoping this is where keeping Lee during the bubble comes into play.

I would actually think moving THJ while adding a good two way player is bigger improvement than upgrade at PF. I am fine with OPJ, because I think he actually replaces THJ in the starting line-up, not DFS/Kleber. If you can get him without trading THJ (Lee SnT), even better. This way you have a line-up that is suddenly capable of playing great basketball on both sides of the court.

As for Hayward. Luka is our number 1, KP is 2, Richardson is 4 and either DFS or THJ are 5. Hayward is a great number 3. OPJ? Perhaps too, although I am not so sure. I think Richardson is not good enough secondary ballhandler, that's why player like Hayward would be great. And he is likely best available.

I am affraid of Gallo trade. That move would again tilt our starting lineup against guys who don't really excell defensively. I repeat, if we add another capable two way player, we can start dreaming.
Like Reply