Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-04-2020, 11:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 11:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: it only takes one of these teams to drive the price up

Why don't you indulge us and take ANY team as an example and put yourself in their shoes and give us the logic and the offer that drives the price up.

Easy. 

Denver could base an offer around a sign and trade of Grant. It's not MPJ, but Grant is a fit with Zion. A good fit, actually, and better as a start than any asset the Mavs could offer. 

LAC ditto, with a sign and trade Harrell. Not sure if Harrell is the ideal fit next to Zion (I don't think he is) but it's a possible offer that doesn't totally suck from a team Holiday would probably want to play for. 

I have NO trouble believing the Nets would pull the trigger for one of their young assets. They're the very definition of "we think we can win now." CJ even said as much. 

Those are just the first three I thought of. There are probably more teams interested, and MOST interested teams CAN make better offers than the Mavs. Whether they will make those offers, or where Holiday wants to play...well, those are the questions we can't answer. 

If the point is that the Mavs' offer might be closer to market value than we think, then sure, and I certainly expect that they WANT him. I think they'll try hard to get him. But I confidently stand by my statement that systemically listing every team's intentions and assets in a light that just so happens to make it seem like our team is the front runner for the guy who might be the most intriguing win now trade target available next month is wishful thinking. It very, very obviously is the DEFINITION of wishful thinking. That's not an insult at all, especially in the extremely positive context I used it earlier. It's my wish, too. 

By the way, I have a ton of respect for you, and express it 24/7. Yet somehow, you manage to transparently communicate contempt for my presence here at least once per day. It's a shame because you're one of my favorite people to engage with. I have no idea what I do to get on your nerves, but it is what it is, I suppose.

(11-05-2020, 12:35 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: I'd argue that Holiday isn't remotely selling high. Again not trying to bash Holiday. I'm a huge fan. I just think we get overly excited about the player he is.

Sorry, we got our wires crossed on this one. 

Cow's post started with "randomness:"

My point was just about MPJ - I'd sell high on HIM. I wasn't making a point (in that post) about Holiday at all.

For the record, since I see that memories around here aren't very long, I brought up Holliday like two months ago. I HOPE THE MAVS CAN GET HIM (that's probably the 10th time I've expressed that in this forum). 

I don't think it's impossible, like some have said, nor do I think it's likely. I definitely think it costs #18, as that's the first thing New Orleans would want from us. I would think that's the absolute first thing on the table. 

Again, I hope they get Holiday! (11th).

This guy agrees with @"cjeter24" about the Clippers' chances of landing him:

"You could add Shamet to Beverley and Williams’ contracts — two vets who make the trade work, salary-wise, and would help the young Pelicans build a culture — but is that enough? Very unlikely. You’d have to think, if Pelicans executive David Griffin pulls the trigger, he’d want a more appealing young piece (and probably a pick) in return.

Would Clipper center Ivica Zubac move the trade needle? Not as much as Denver’s Michael Porter Jr. or another young, rising wing. And the Pelicans probably aren’t in deep need of a big man since Zion Williamson’s best future position is probably as a starting small-ball center. The Clippers just don’t seem to have the necessary pieces. Neither do their Staples Center neighbors."

https://theathletic.com/2179450/2020/11/...stination/
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 21?) + Salary Chart | Season (Dec 22? 72 gms?) - by KillerLeft - 11-05-2020, 12:35 AM