Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I don't get the hate on Buddy's contract. 

Your shooting guys consistently get in the 15-20 mill range. And Buddy is elite in that skillset. Next year at 24 mill is a bit expensive. But 22, 20 and 18 the next few years is perfectly reasonable. And by the end of the deal, it's a big time bargain if the cap is on the rise again. 

Buddy is a much better offensive version of THJ. They both are similarly great spot up shooters. But THJ is in the 30th percentile shooting off screens compared to the near 80th percentile for buddy. 

If you like THJ fit here long term, Buddy is an even better fit and you are likely going to have to pay THJ handsomely as well if he repeats his season. 

If you'd say you just want to get rid of THJ type guy completely, I can buy that too. 

I personally loved the way the offense looked with shooters all around Luka. I think getting an elite shooter is a big time upgrade for the offensive potential.

(10-06-2020, 11:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 11:06 PM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 11:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 10:53 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 10:27 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Considering that the salary cap is going to go down precipitously, Plan Powder seems even dumber, as would players thinking they'll get paid more in '21.

I wouldn't assume the cap is going down at all.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/06/21/rep...xt-season/

ROTFLMAO that was in June. I'd say things have changed.

Things haven't changed. They knew this season was going to be a huge loss going into Orlando. And the hope still remains that they'll have fans at games next year. The season being started in January gives that a chance (although it might not be right away).

I'm curious how they negotiate the uncertainty this offseason...But I think they get it done. I 100% think they smooth the cap for the next 4-5 years and leave it fairly flat. But that keeps players from getting hammered the next 2-3 and a repeat of the Warriors down the line. Teams are still upset about the one year cap jump allowing them to create a superteam.

Even if you are right and the cap shrinks big, I think the last thing the Mavs should do is go and blow all their money and get trapped in a mediocre roster for the next few years. That's the exact thing that most of these teams that had their star walk did.

Check out the player boycott thread. Viewership down 70%.

That said, as you said, conservative spending this offseason might be a wise course of action...

Yes it is a concern... And I do think it's somewhat related to the protests.
It's also due to basically every sport ever having major prime time coverage right now. Ratings are going to go down when people have other stuff to watch. 
Additionally they've been in decline for a bit anyways. Cord cutting has been a huge issue and that's just accelerated with a recession. 
Ratings are a concern moving forward but it's not yet going to have major financial implications for any of the leagues. 

I'd also thing a large portion of people tuned out on some of the sports like NBA and MLB because of the drastic changes to the schedule, etc. You are already having people say a Lebron championship in the bubble doesn't really count. Your old guys are purists. 

I think post election and post covid things are going to return to normalcy sometime next year (assuming progress on virus)
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart - by cjeter24 - 10-06-2020, 11:20 PM