Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I would like the Mavs to become a Euro team. So finding a way to getting at least a couple of the following would be awesome.
Goran Dragic
Davis Bertran
Marc Gasol
Serge Ibaka
Like Reply
Indy beat writer looks very pessimistic about Oladipo. Quote: Oladipo has changed. He’s still whip-smart, still thoughtful, still fun to be around, but somewhere along the way, somebody convinced him, or he convinced himself, that he’s a brand. And that brand has a better chance of growing, at least in the minds of Oladipo and his representatives, in Miami or a larger market. Now, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that; careers are short, injuries are always lurking around the corner, and it’s best to maximize your earnings while you can. But this transformation – or whatever it is – has created the growing impression that he’s too big for humble, small-market Indiana and has half a foot out the door – OK, both feet out the door – as he approaches free agency at the end of next year.

He is also very down on Turner. He thinks core of Warren-Sabonis_Brogdon is great and Turner doesn't fit. They need shooters, he says. 

https://theathletic.com/2034695/2020/08/...oladipo-2/
Like Reply
If Davis Bertans signs for MLE or less I will be pissed bc it would be a classic example of Mavs rating cap space higher than players as assets. He is a hot commodity so I don't think he will sign for less than MLE but if he does the Mavs would have a major advantage imo. Sadly they would probably worry ab 2021 cap space, not realizing they could flip him for a pick and space in 2021 if they so choose.

(08-31-2020, 04:11 PM)omahen Wrote: Indy beat writer looks very pessimistic about Oladipo. Quote: Oladipo has changed. He’s still whip-smart, still thoughtful, still fun to be around, but somewhere along the way, somebody convinced him, or he convinced himself, that he’s a brand. And that brand has a better chance of growing, at least in the minds of Oladipo and his representatives, in Miami or a larger market. Now, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that; careers are short, injuries are always lurking around the corner, and it’s best to maximize your earnings while you can. But this transformation – or whatever it is – has created the growing impression that he’s too big for humble, small-market Indiana and has half a foot out the door – OK, both feet out the door – as he approaches free agency at the end of next year.

He is also very down on Turner. He thinks core of Warren-Sabonis_Brogdon is great and Turner doesn't fit. They need shooters, he says. 

https://theathletic.com/2034695/2020/08/...oladipo-2/

Oladipo is the perfect target if you want to go for a big fish. He's expiring which hurts his trade value bc I assume he will not guarantee the trading team he is going to resign unless it's Miami.

He's a good player but didn't have a great year due to injury. Could you offer an opted-in THJ + #18 and #31 for Oladipo? This gives Indy a player that can produce + two picks. Granted another team could be this offer but would they if Oladipo is not going to resign? For example the Hawks always have cap space (and picks I guess?). Are they going to give up anything for Oladipo if he doesn't resign?

Mavs could take the gamble that they can keep him while also simultaneously keeping the door open for a Giannis pipedream.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 04:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If Davis Bertans signs for MLE or less I will be pissed bc it would be a classic example of Mavs rating cap space higher than players as assets. He is a hot commodity so I don't think he will sign for less than MLE but if he does the Mavs would have a major advantage imo. Sadly they would probably worry ab 2021 cap space, not realizing they could flip him for a pick and space in 2021 if they so choose.

If Bertans signs for MLE money it's going to be in Dallas with his buddy KP in the best rated offense of all time. Too bad he will get a 52M/4y and go somewhere else.
Like Reply
Hello guys, I am new on this site! Long time reader though. My favorite time on message boards are the team building stages(offseason)

In my opinion i think we should go hard after marcus smart. Anyone know what it would take? I feel like we need someone that doesnt take any crap. Remember how tyson and stevenson even caron changed the 2011 team? We gotta get some bullies. Jae crowder would be another I look at again.

Also what do you guys think about trey burke? How do you think mavs would handle burke and brunson?

Glad to be here
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 04:25 PM)Torielp10 Wrote: Hello guys, I am new on this site! Long time reader though. My favorite time on message boards are the team building stages(offseason)

In my opinion i think we should go hard after marcus smart. Anyone know what it would take? I feel like we need someone that doesnt take any crap. Remember how tyson and stevenson even caron changed the 2011 team? We gotta get some bullies. Jae crowder would be another I look at again.

Also what do you guys think about trey burke? How do you think mavs would handle burke and brunson?

Glad to be here

Welcome...

Smart would be killer here in Big D.  But I don't think the Mavs have anything BOS would want?  Heck, if I'm BOS I'm not trading him anyway.  I also like Crowder for about 70 or 75% of the MLE.  But from resent posts I'm no longer sure that the Mavs will offer the full 3 years? 

So I would look to Avery Bradley who is a Duffy client and has a PO this offseason for 5 mil.  Would he decline his PO with the Fakers and come play w/Luka for 7 or 8 mil for one year?

The senses on Burke is bring him back for vet min.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 04:25 PM)aguiar95 Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 04:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If Davis Bertans signs for MLE or less I will be pissed bc it would be a classic example of Mavs rating cap space higher than players as assets. He is a hot commodity so I don't think he will sign for less than MLE but if he does the Mavs would have a major advantage imo. Sadly they would probably worry ab 2021 cap space, not realizing they could flip him for a pick and space in 2021 if they so choose.

If Bertans signs for MLE money it's going to be in Dallas with his buddy KP in the best rated offense of all time. Too bad he will get a 52M/4y and go somewhere else.

Bertrans is an UFA and if he wants to come here to play with his buddy KP, receiving perfect passes from Luka and becoming the first player to average over 50% from 3 then we have to do S&T.  I think 52M/4y is a bargain.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BrandonRahbar/status...74244?s=20

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but Luka must have Lu Dort on his mind to be on the Mavs . . .
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 04:54 PM)chaparral Wrote: The senses on Burke is bring him back for vet min.

I would love to bring back Burke on the vet min.  I am afraid he will be able to command more than the vet min with his play in the bubble.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/za...s-shape-up

Lowe:  First part is about the Mavs future and that elusive 3rd "back end all-star."
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 10:20 AM)omahen Wrote: Basic logic:
Rose+Kennard = equal value to Richardson. Why would Philly need to add picks? Richardson is the best player in this trade
Wright+#18 = equal value to Richardson. Since Philly doesn't need Wright, Detroit picks a back up PG and a mid first round pick. I doubt Detroit can get more for the two players, without taking some worse salary back. This way they keep all their cap space to sell for additional assets

Perhaps #31 should be added, but I doubt any more.
https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/...50497?s=20
I think from this tweet they are looking for more than you think in a Rose trade. Also, Kennard was almost traded to Pho, but the teams couldn’t agree on where the first round pick protection should be. Those two things lead me to believe Det doesn’t agree with you that Rose and Kennard = Richardson.

Also, adding #31 is a pretty big additional tip. I think Curry and #31 (or maybe a first round pick swap #18 for #21 I think) would get the deal done leaving Det out of the mix. That deal only works for us if we move THJ out of the way to make room for JRich which I have no problem with. We would then need to figure out what to do with Wright still.
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 02:32 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think Curry and #31

Well, I would really like to do it without trading Curry Smile I also think we can afford to play Luka, THJ, JRich, DFS (or Kleber) and KP in the starting 5.
Like Reply
Bertans is so tempting because of his shooting, which could probably even elevate with this team, but god damn he's garbage everywhere else. Terrible rebounder, defender, not a passer. He barely contributes anything outside shooting, but that shooting on 9 attempts really is tempting.
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 03:22 AM)omahen Wrote: Well, I would really like to do it without trading Curry Smile I also think we can afford to play Luka, THJ, JRich, DFS (or Kleber) and KP in the starting 5.
That starting 5 is why I like your deal to get Horford too. Sure he’s not what he used to be, but with Luka and KP we don’t need him to be. Luka, JRich, DFS (or prefer better like OPJ), Horford, KP.

I don’t want to see some of our good players go either, esp since the chemistry is so good with them. However, those players are the best chance to actually upgrade our roster in the starting unit, which IMO should be the top priority.

A top tier bench player on a good deal with a small asset (second rounder or equivalent) is enough to go after low end to mid tier starter types (depending on how good the contract is, or what special skills our player possesses compared to the needs of the team we’re trading with). We NEED mid tier starter types to get into contender status. Kleber, DFS and Curry are those guys currently. 

Curry (who I think is the type of player they will be desperately looking for IMO), might even be enough to them for a straight up 1 for 1 deal seeing as his deal is really good and skill set is their exact need.
Like Reply
If the Rockets lose tommorrow there is a chance that D´Anthony is gone. Add the owners financial problems and there might be a chance that they are willing to include guys like Tucker or RoCo in a trade.
RoCo would obviously be the homerun but even Tucker (despite his age) would be a big upgrade for the Mavs.
Like Reply
Another possible scenario to think about is 2020 cap space. If we dump Powell +#18, Wright+#31 and Jackson+future second with WCS opting out we get to around 27 mil of cap space, assuming cap stays at 109. Sign Van Vleet for a deal starting at 15 and Grant for a deal starting at 12. It mostly kills our flexibility, other than some 15 mil of cap space in 2021. Or we can resign THJ next season and use MLE for further reinforcements. Still, very good starting 5 and excellent bench.

Luka, Brunson, vet min
FVV, Curry, vet min
THJ, DFS, vet min
Grant, Kleber, vet min
KP, Powell, Bobi

(09-01-2020, 06:24 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If the Rockets lose tommorrow there is a chance that D´Anthony is gone. Add the owners financial problems and there might be a chance that they are willing to include guys like Tucker or RoCo in a trade.
RoCo would obviously be the homerun but even Tucker (despite his age) would be a big upgrade for the Mavs.

D'Antoni is gone in any case, imho. Perhaps only, if they go all the way.

I started this coversation a while back and opinion was, this scenario will not happen. Both Tucker and RoCo would be great for us though.

I am more interested in what OKC will do. Sell everything valuable (Gallo SnT, Schroeder, CP3, Adams) or try another year. I think first round loss might stimulate them for a rebuild. Win, they might hope they are ready to contend with a couple of good additions.
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 06:34 AM)omahen Wrote: D'Antoni is gone in any case, imho. Perhaps only, if they go all the way.

I started this coversation a while back and opinion was, this scenario will not happen. Both Tucker and RoCo would be great for us though.

Just like any other trade it would depend on the Mavs offer. If the Mavs are willing to include both picks or trade THJ for Gordons terrible contract the Rockets would probably agree. Mavs obviously wouldn´t.
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 07:52 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just like any other trade it would depend on the Mavs offer. If the Mavs are willing to include both picks or trade THJ for Gordons terrible contract the Rockets would probably agree. Mavs obviously wouldn´t.

I think first thing you have to take into account is, that Houston wants to remain competitive. So they will do a trade, if it makes them better. They don't care about picks, young talent and so on. They are in a win now window. Sure they would want to get rid of Gordon horrible contract for a similar value player like THJ, but Mavs are not doing that unless Tucker and Roco are attached to it and Powell going the other way. Which of course Houston won't do. So a third team would need to be involved. Mavs providing assets for Houston to get rid of Gordon contract. 

Perhaps somthing like this:

Det: Gordon, #18, #31
Hou: THJ, Kennard
Mavs: RoCo

(09-01-2020, 02:32 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think from this tweet they are looking for more than you think in a Rose trade. Also, Kennard was almost traded to Pho, but the teams couldn’t agree on where the first round pick protection should be. Those two things lead me to believe Det doesn’t agree with you that Rose and Kennard = Richardson.

Here are a couple of trades that Detroit beat writer proposes:
Rose+Kennard for Kanter, Edwards, Green, #14 and #30. So just slightly better picks than #18 and #31.

Second proposal is Kennard to Orlando for Birch and #15. Again same range as Dallas

Third one is with Sacramento taking back Joseph and #12

https://theathletic.com/2032667/2020/09/...ound-pick/
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 08:31 AM)omahen Wrote: Det: Gordon, #18, #31
Hou: THJ, Kennard
Mavs: RoCo
I would do this perhaps trying to not include 1 of the picks (maybe a future second? Or Cuban buying an additional second or even first this year and including it? I think if Phi can’t use their picks to get what they need in trade then they sell a couple). Having RoCo on this team would be so much of what we were missing this year. 

(09-01-2020, 08:31 AM)omahen Wrote: Here are a couple of trades that Detroit beat writer proposes:
Rose+Kennard for Kanter, Edwards, Green, #14 and #30. So just slightly better picks than #18 and #31.

Second proposal is Kennard to Orlando for Birch and #15. Again same range as Dallas

Third one is with Sacramento taking back Joseph and #12
Maybe a beat writer has more of the pulse on the team and a good sense of what the team wants to do, but their educated guesses, I don’t think, are any better than many well thought out trades we see here. What those proposals show me is that they are looking for a first round pick from each of the players and don’t care much about the salary matching players. I do like JRich for this team, but I have to hesitate if we have to add another pick.

Maybe that tweet was a saving face quote because they found out the market for Rose wasn’t what they thought it would be, maybe not. Maybe they change their mind and more aggressively shop Rose with lowered expectations. No telling. We only know as of Feb, they were looking for a trade where another team offered a nice package.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 06:53 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/za...s-shape-up

Lowe:  First part is about the Mavs future and that elusive 3rd "back end all-star."

Interesting point Delon Wright, and possibly Dwight Powell mentioned as "value contracts":

"Dallas has five role players, and maybe six depending on Dwight Powell's recovery from an Achilles tear, on value contracts that run through at least 2022: Powell, Seth Curry, Jalen Brunson, Dorian Finney-Smith, Maxi Kleber, and Delon Wright."
Like Reply