Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(08-31-2020, 09:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t see how Wright and a non-specific pick are worth Rose and Kennard. I think Rose and Kennard is worth Richardson and any number of picks Phi has this year. Not sure why the Mavs are included at all.

Basic logic:
Rose+Kennard = equal value to Richardson. Why would Philly need to add picks? Richardson is the best player in this trade
Wright+#18 = equal value to Richardson. Since Philly doesn't need Wright, Detroit picks a back up PG and a mid first round pick. I doubt Detroit can get more for the two players, without taking some worse salary back. This way they keep all their cap space to sell for additional assets

Perhaps #31 should be added, but I doubt any more.

(08-31-2020, 09:41 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Don't be shocked if Mavs do a trade down or even give up a pick to trade Wright into cap space for some team that is under the cap.

Why would they do that? I see no point in that... His contract can be used in a trade and they have TDL or next summer to do it, even if they can't work something this FA.
Like Reply
I would say 50/50 Mavs burn an asset to dump Wright. It could be subjective in that they pair a trade-down or #31 with Wright to get a player they like. So in that scenario did they "waste" an asset - maybe? Bottom line in that scenario is they attached a pick to Wright (who is not an asset) to get a player they like in lieu of keeping Wright + drafting a player with that pick. Again, they might not have to do that, another team might give Mavs a player on a 1 yr deal that isn't doing anything for them for 2 years of Wright with no picks attached.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 10:28 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I would say 50/50 Mavs burn an asset to dump Wright. It could be subjective in that they pair a trade-down or #31 with Wright to get a player they like. So in that scenario did they "waste" an asset - maybe? Bottom line in that scenario is they attached a pick to Wright (who is not an asset) to get a player they like in lieu of keeping Wright + drafting a player with that pick. Again, they might not have to do that, another team might give Mavs a player on a 1 yr deal that isn't doing anything for them for 2 years of Wright with no picks attached.

That's very likely but I would call this an upgrade Smile and I could also see a multiyear contract player as a target...
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 10:28 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I would say 50/50 Mavs burn an asset to dump Wright. It could be subjective in that they pair a trade-down or #31 with Wright to get a player they like. So in that scenario did they "waste" an asset - maybe? Bottom line in that scenario is they attached a pick to Wright (who is not an asset) to get a player they like in lieu of keeping Wright + drafting a player with that pick. Again, they might not have to do that, another team might give Mavs a player on a 1 yr deal that isn't doing anything for them for 2 years of Wright with no picks attached.

I wonder which team will take him?
Atlanta comes to mind, they need another PG if they don't use 6th pick for it. They also need defense too.
They have cap space to absorb that contract 
They have no 2nd round picks,I think 31 will get deal done, but I would hope for a a future 2nd round picks
Like Reply
Good question I think any team that has an expiring contract that would work in salary matching is a candidate. Especially teams with an expiring contract attached to a player of marginal value. In that situation they are getting a potential contributor on a reasonable 2-yr deal for a player that does nothing for them. Even if Wright doesn't work out for that team he converts to an expiring contract that next year so it's pretty low risk, provided that team doesn't also need to carve out 2021 space.

Looking at https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/ for players with salaries just north or south of Wrights':
  • Danny Green is definitely an option in a 3 way that would send Jackson, Wright out for DG, depending on how he fares these playoffs.
  • NYK has a bunch of team options on guys that I guess could be used in a trade situation but I imagine most of those team options will simply not be exercised
  • Frank N is expiring, I would love a Frank for Wright swap. Frank's D is legit and Rick would figure out how to make him useful on offense.
  • A Mo Harkless S&T would be interesting. Do you have a minimum number of years you have to commit to in a S&T?
  • Tony Snell from Detroit is a good 3D role player.
  • Dante Exum from Cleveland. He is injured a lot and has an expiring contract of the same value as Wright.
  • Remember several teams will have cap space where they could absorb Wright's deal, especially if they were incentivized with a pick or trade-down.

Also have we talked about Bobby Portis? Another guy on the knicks with a team option.

This article seems to think he won't be back: https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/...bby-portis

I think Portis on a 1 yr 15 mil deal is pretty valuable. Salary matching would be more difficult in that scenario. Knicks will probably do something Knicks-ish like max out Fred VanFleet or something so they will probably let all their options go. If Mavs sent them Jackson + Wright that would be eating into their cap space so you would definitely be sending at least that first round pick to make them do it.

An idea I like would be a Ibaka for Wright S&T. Wright played really well for the Raptors. They have Ibaka's bird rights so you can sign him for any number he would agree to (which would be much less than he makes now). I don't know if you have to do multiple years in a S&T (I think you do) so if you have to do 3 years or something you can just offer him a deal that salary matches Wright and preserves 2021 cap space. Ibaka to me would be a good fit next to KP in the frontcourt.
Like Reply
Watching Luka work with Boban picks in the playoffs, personally I have a renewed interest in Steven Adams. He would obviously qualify as a Tier-1 enforcer and his personality would fit well in the locker room. He also has just 1 more year on his deal, but is young enough and good enough that he could stick around long-term if the '21 FA plans don't pan out. Something like Kleber/Wright/Jackson/18 might be intriguing for both teams, as OKC gets several useful assets (to play or package in other deals) for an expiring player and Dallas upgrades Maxi while creating a huge amount of '21 financial flexibility. Of course we'd have to see if the perimeter defense can hold up and how Adams affects the offensive spacing, but IMO it would be a good 1-year experiment with limited downside.
Like Reply
Have I missed something? Why are we all in on plan powder again? Right now we don´t even have a number for this years salary cap. Gambling on 2021 seems crazy under the current circumstances.
And even if the Mavs want to go after a max free agent in 2021. Find a player that is willing to sign before you waste assets to create capspace. We have enough evidence that teams can create a max slot if they need one (see Heat last year, Warriors when they signed KD).
Last year the Mavs created a lot of capspace and it did not help at all. They still had 10mio remaining when they decided to call it a day and convert it into a TPE instead of using it.
The goal of the offseason should be improvement. Not flexibility.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 09:41 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" I love this Wright for Thad Young idea. I think the Bulls would probably do that? Young still has 6 mil guaranteed in that last year which is probably as much as the Mavs would want on the books in 2021.

I am pretty sure you don't have to spend all of 10 mil of the MLE on a player but I think the min years is 3 (can someone verify)?

5. rMLE which probably gets used on a decent vet
6. MLE which is not guaranteed to be used unless Mavs can still keep a max slot open in 2021.

I am pretty sure Wright for T Young and MLE are mutually exclusive given Young's 6 mil guarantee. 

MLE can be split (which should have been obvious when I pointed out it was split last year between Roby and Curry).

Yes, MLE is for 3 years, but they don't have to be guaranteed.  This is why I try to be clear that in any Plan Powder scenario the MLE signing is only (guaranteed) for one year.  

When you speak of using the MLE and rMLE, what are you referring to?  What is the rMLE part of that?  If you are talking about the BAE, that was used last summer on Bobi.

(08-31-2020, 11:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have I missed something? Why are we all in on plan powder again? Right now we don´t even have a number for this years salary cap. Gambling on 2021 seems crazy under the current circumstances.

The reason I've written about it today was Omahen asked what Bobby Marks wrote about.  He wrote about plan powder.
Like Reply
The other thing I'm keeping an eye on is the mediocre teams with high payrolls who might be seriously hurt by a falling salary cap. Philly, Indiana, Orlando, and San Antonio come to mind. If you're willing to take on salary, I imagine they'll be happy to talk.  I wonder if the financial uncertainty might be the thing that finally shakes long-time trade rumor guys like Myles Turner or Aaron Gordon loose.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status...3674420226
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 11:46 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 09:41 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" I love this Wright for Thad Young idea. I think the Bulls would probably do that? Young still has 6 mil guaranteed in that last year which is probably as much as the Mavs would want on the books in 2021.

I am pretty sure you don't have to spend all of 10 mil of the MLE on a player but I think the min years is 3 (can someone verify)?

5. rMLE which probably gets used on a decent vet
6. MLE which is not guaranteed to be used unless Mavs can still keep a max slot open in 2021.

I am pretty sure Wright for T Young and MLE are mutually exclusive given Young's 6 mil guarantee. 

MLE can be split (which should have been obvious when I pointed out it was split last year between Roby and Curry).

Yes, MLE is for 3 years, but they don't have to be guaranteed.  This is why I try to be clear that in any Plan Powder scenario the MLE signing is only (guaranteed) for one year.  

When you speak of using the MLE and rMLE, what are you referring to?  What is the rMLE part of that?  If you are talking about the BAE, that was used last summer on Bobi.
The reason I've written about it today was Omahen asked what Bobby Marks wrote about.  He wrote about plan powder.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for clearing things up! I didn't realize Roby was part of MLE. For rMLE I was getting confused with last season when Mavs were flirting with spending under the cap. I meant the BAE and so you are correct that we've already used that one.
Like Reply
I'm kinda sick of how we treat our draft picks. We've treated it like garbage for most of the drafts since Dirk. Either get something good in a trade, or use it on BPA. None of this let's just pick a Euro to stash because it helps our cap situation business. There's some flawed, but very talented players that could be available at 18 in this draft.
Like Reply
I really don't think Mavs are going to add any traditional bigs to this roster unless WCS picks up his option. I actually didn't realize it was a player option. WCS is a good player, I got a vibe from him that he didn't really fit into the culture but who knows. I suppose he can get the same deal he has here elsewhere if he wants so that remains to be seen.

Even if WCS leaves you are getting Powell back and Rick finally figured out how to use Boban. Maxi also should move back to the bench if/when Mavs find a new wing/PF to add to the roster.

For that reason I don't see Mavs getting Adams or anyone like that here. I would expect a very small move (WCS-level) if any at all to shore up the center rotation. I think the Mavs would much rather have wings and guards than another center.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 12:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I really don't think Mavs are going to add any traditional bigs to this roster unless WCS picks up his option. I actually didn't realize it was a player option. WCS is a good player, I got a vibe from him that he didn't really fit into the culture but who knows. I suppose he can get the same deal he has here elsewhere if he wants so that remains to be seen.

Even if WCS leaves you are getting Powell back and Rick finally figured out how to use Boban. Maxi also should move back to the bench if/when Mavs find a new wing/PF to add to the roster.

For that reason I don't see Mavs getting Adams or anyone like that here. I would expect a very small move (WCS-level) if any at all to shore up the center rotation. I think the Mavs would much rather have wings and guards than another center.
The obsession Mavs fans have with bigs makes no sense given the style of play we have. I feel like some long time Mavs fans have maintained the big man obsession we had for a very long time during Dirk's era until we got Chandler (once we understood Dampier wasn't the answer anyway). The only big who might be available that I'd be interested in is Myles Turner, but that's because he's a geniune modern two way big, who's also young enough to have further upside.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 12:07 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Sorry for the confusion and thanks for clearing things up! I didn't realize Roby was part of MLE. For rMLE I was getting confused with last season when Mavs were flirting with spending under the cap. I meant the BAE and so you are correct that we've already used that one.

No problem.  I forgot the Bobi for the BAE part until someone corrected me.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 11:15 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Frank N is expiring, I would love a Frank for Wright swap. Frank's D is legit and Rick would figure out how to make him useful on offense.

I am STILL "all-in" on Frank!

Let's go!

[Image: giphy.gif]

(08-31-2020, 11:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have I missed something? Why are we all in on plan powder again?

A Tim MacMahon and Bobby Marks report saying the Mavs have their eyes set at a MAX slot in 2021 summer.
Like Reply
Would you trade Frank N for Jackson? I could see that working out. Same contract length. I am not sure what the Knicks think of Frankie at this point, seems like he doesn't have a future there. Mavs could use Frank's defense. Rick would probably use him mostly like a PatBev guy. I would definitely rather try anyone over Jackson. Jackson is an okay bench player (you could do worse) but he brings no defense to the table. It makes me crazy when Rick puts him in at PF bc you know the other team is going to drive to the basket every possession with no interference.

Glad I have @"Kammrath" on board. Let's do it!
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 02:00 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Would you trade Frank N for Jackson? I could see that working out. Same contract length. I am not sure what the Knicks think of Frankie at this point, seems like he doesn't have a future there. Mavs could use Frank's defense. Rick would probably use him mostly like a PatBev guy. I would definitely rather try anyone over Jackson. Jackson is an okay bench player (you could do worse) but he brings no defense to the table. It makes me crazy when Rick puts him in at PF bc you know the other team is going to drive to the basket every possession with no interference.

Heck yes. That is the kind of swap you can do with Jackson, swap him for another guy who hasn't panned out.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 02:00 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Would you trade Frank N for Jackson? I could see that working out. Same contract length. I am not sure what the Knicks think of Frankie at this point, seems like he doesn't have a future there. Mavs could use Frank's defense. Rick would probably use him mostly like a PatBev guy. I would definitely rather try anyone over Jackson. Jackson is an okay bench player (you could do worse) but he brings no defense to the table. It makes me crazy when Rick puts him in at PF bc you know the other team is going to drive to the basket every possession with no interference.

Mavs would need to add value. Frank N has at least one elite skill (defense). Jackson has a floater. That´s it.
Maybe a future 2nd and Jackson. But if you guys like long and athletic defensive guards from France. Just draft N´Doye with a late 2nd.
Like Reply

You had us all at "Would you..." except for the battling bear. He´s still asking for an extra pick to eat Giannis´ contract.
Like Reply