Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-29-2020, 11:56 AM)Jason Terry Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 11:38 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think the NBA subsidizes vet min contracts so as to even the playing field for older players. So even though JJBs contract is over 2 mil I think the cost to the Mavs might be more like 1 mil? You can correct me if I am wrong but I recall something like that.

So if JJB is released he will get the money but Cubes isn't paying the full amount so it's kind of a sweet deal. I do think it's like a thank you for years of service.
Possibly a basketball component to it as well. He gets to be there for training camp and prove he’s in basketball shape. Then when Jan/Feb comes around and we make a trade he will take a roster spot we create

Right hadn't thought of him getting released and resigned later.
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 11:38 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think the NBA subsidizes vet min contracts so as to even the playing field for older players. So even though JJBs contract is over 2 mil I think the cost to the Mavs might be more like 1 mil? You can correct me if I am wrong but I recall something like that.

So if JJB is released he will get the money but Cubes isn't paying the full amount so it's kind of a sweet deal. I do think it's like a thank you for years of service.

I know that is a cap and trade accounting trick...
The 2 yr minimum salary is what counts vs the Cap and how much a team trading for a vet minimum player would count as incoming salary.
I am not sure how much of the salary is actually subsidized and how much the difference between the salary a vet min player makes vs the amount of a 2 yr vet is subject to escrow withholding.

One more trick to remember is that Frisco gets G-League dibs on players released by the Mavs who clear waivers. So Dallas brings in multiple players on camp deals that Frisco tries to develop.
Like Reply
Question?

Nic Batum was obviously not worth his contract, but I haven't seen anything as to what he's done lately. Would he be a good target for a vet min contract after he clears waivers? Is he still a decent-to-good player in this league? Is he a good candidate for reclamation project that we have a good track record with?

What say you?
Like Reply
(11-30-2020, 08:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Question?

Nic Batum was obviously not worth his contract, but I haven't seen anything as to what he's done lately. Would he be a good target for a vet min contract after he clears waivers? Is he still a decent-to-good player in this league? Is he a good candidate for reclamation project that we have a good track record with?

What say you?
He plans to sign with Clips

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...76097?s=20
Like Reply
(11-30-2020, 08:24 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Question?

What say you?

Of course still a serviceable player but imo won't start anymore for us.

Thus, he'd need to beat out one of our existing bench players. Obviously it's hard to really estimate how good he still could be after last season, but he at least would need to be good enough to block the development/justify the trade/cut of another bench player. And I honestly don't see which, so I'd pass on him.

But I could also be wrong with my assumption of what he's still capable of...
Like Reply