Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(08-30-2020, 10:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I also think our play is in the trade market. Only 4 names discussed in this thread am I somewhat interested in, Favors, DJJ, Aminu and Crowder. Favors is the only name in there that I'm pretty high on, the others are basically the same guys we have, with a defensive slant as opposed to offensive (which we do need on this team, but there is a chance that that bites us the opposite way). Trades is how we're going to make any big difference for next year.

Edit: Marc Gasol would be a good get to backup KP if Powell is moved too. Not sure his price tag is vet min though, who knows.

I am fairly certain it will take more than the MLE to sign Favors.  And as I don't think Favors is in the Pelicans term long-term I believe a S&T is possible.  So what do you think it would take to get him?
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 11:09 PM)BoulderMFFL Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 10:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I also think our play is in the trade market. Only 4 names discussed in this thread am I somewhat interested in, Favors, DJJ, Aminu and Crowder. Favors is the only name in there that I'm pretty high on, the others are basically the same guys we have, with a defensive slant as opposed to offensive (which we do need on this team, but there is a chance that that bites us the opposite way). Trades is how we're going to make any big difference for next year.

Edit: Marc Gasol would be a good get to backup KP if Powell is moved too. Not sure his price tag is vet min though, who knows.

I am fairly certain it will take more than the MLE to sign Favors. And as I don't think Favors is in the Pelicans term long-term I believe a S&T is possible. So what do you think it would take to get him?

Unfortunately, last summer suggests that the most important thing is to sell the MBT on him. Huge banghead. Even worse, I would bet that their thought process was, "Why would we spend money on Favors when we have Powell?" Even bigger banghead.

SBJ, I'm not sure you understand me. I'm of the Riley school as opposed to the Plan Powder school. I don't believe that the Mavs can afford, on any level, to squander next year's talent quotient to make sure that max money comes off the ledger next summer. I think it's team suicide, because you're telling Luka that he can't win right now and that it's worthwhile to waste a year. No no no. Rather, you avoid any and all bad contracts in trade and free agency (i.e. MLE to someone who really deserves that kind of money) while getting rid of Wright and Powell (THJ can just be allowed to expire if need be). Then any and all non-Luka contracts can be easily (i.e., no assets attached) traded next summer to clear room for the Greek Freak or someone who does not deserve a max deal much more than Harry Barnes did but will get it because of next summer's market (i.e. every other FA available next summer). 

Any other conceivable course of action is 1) stupid, and 2) extremely likely because this is the Mavs we're talking about.
Like Reply
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-free-agency-top-70-players-who-could-be-available-in-upcoming-offseason/

Derrick Favors
NO • C 
PPG 9.2 | RPG 9.9 | BPG 1.0
Given that the Pelicans were 10 points per 100 possessions better with Favors on the court this season, they should think about re-signing him -- and having his Bird rights gives them an advantage. He doesn't seem like the cleanest offensive fit with Zion Williamson, but New Orleans was dominant on both ends in the minutes they played together.

Derrick Jones Jr.
MIA • SF 
PPG 8.9 | RPG 4.2 | BPG .7
The Heat love his defensive versatility, as they should. You know how fast he is and how high he jumps, and he has developed into a key part of their rotation. If I were thinking about investing in him, though, I'd want to see what happens when playoff opponents leave him wide open.

Kent Bazemore
SAC • SF 
PPG 8.7 | APG 1.3 | SPG 1.1 | 3P/G 1.219
Bazemore's forays into playmaking have diminished since leaving Atlanta, making him more of a 3-and-D guy. You wish the 3s were more consistent, but you'll still like having him around.

Jae Crowder
MIA • SF 
PPG 10.4 | RPG 6.1
When his shot is falling, Crowder's such a nice, low-usage role player to have. It has been falling since being traded to Miami, and that seems like the perfect spot for him.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:43 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:30 PM)WillE Wrote: It would probably make sense to decide for one of Powel or Kleber and turn the other into something else.

(08-30-2020, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And I wonder who the Mavs would be trying to target if they're looking for an enforcer.

Marcus Morris? Angel
[Image: giphy.gif]

However, that's probably the best insurance against Morris targeting Luka while on some other team. And he becomes every other team's problem. Remember when that one douche (edit: it was Tim Thomas) blew kisses at Dirk and played for us the season or so after? Fences can be mended, even with ambulant used toilet paper like MMS.
Like Reply
Count me in as still being all in on Aaron Gordon, I love his game and still feel he has untapped potential

I would call Philly and see if they are open to Embid for KP straight up
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 01:02 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I would call Philly and see if they are open to Embid for KP straight up

Yes lets trade our injury prone 25 year old superstar big man for another superstar big man who is much more injury prone AND has motivation issues.

Did people forget Embiid missed his first 2 years in the league? Then played 31 games his rookie season? Then followed that up with not playing more than 64 games the next 3 years? 

KP's injury issues are exaggerated by Embiid's standards. KP's history is as follows: 72 games played his rookie year. 66 the next. Played 48 games before his ACL injury. Missed 1 year. Then followed that up by playing 57/75 games. Meanwhile Embiid the same year played only 51 games, showed up yet again out of shape in the playoffs, and doesn't seem to give a crap. 

And Embiid is arguably a much worse fit than KP on the Mavs. KP's mobility adds another dimension to this offense, and he has unlimited range. The same cannot be said for Embiid.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:51 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...7659512832

Do you have access to ESPN+, could you post main points? For some reason it is only available in US.

I didn't find it all that helpful.  Basics:

Mav's are on a four year plan that culminates in cap room in 2021.  He has Dallas with $30mm in space of the $35mm needed for a 7-9 year player like Giannis (He's using $109mm for 20 and $116m for 21).  He has Hardaway opting in for 20/21 which creates room in 21.

If Dallas uses #31, it will likely eat $1.5mm of the MLE to sign the pick to a 3 year contract instead of the standard 2 years (leaves $7.8mm, they did this last season with Roby).  The rest can be used on a one year for a player (he mentions Burke) or saved for the buyout market after the TDL.  If the latter, you would hold onto something more than the minimum as everyone can offer the minimum. 

We only have one open roster slot if everyone is back (KP, THJ, Powell, Wright, Maxi, Luka, Seth, Jackson, Boban, DFS, WCS, Brunson, Pick, Pick = 14 players).  We also have cap holds for Lee, Barea, MKG and the 2-ways.  He includes WCS in the list pointing out his contract amount is $400k above the minimum for him.  BTW, the hold for #18 is $2,816,760.

Who knows if he has any insight or is just presenting the obvious Plan Powder story line.  If you assume he's right, then players with no future here who are on the books for 21 will be shipped off.  So, plan on Wright for expiring, but larger contract (The reason I keep bringing up Thaddeus Young is he shaves $3 million off of what Wright is owed in 21).  Wright for expiring Snell would likely cost a pick, but would create even more room in 21.  Fully expiring deals of size will be in high demand this summer.  

One of the advantages of pairing #31 with Wright for an expiring deal is it gives you the full MLE again.  Whatever amount of the MLE is used, it will probably be used on a one year deal.  So, don't count on any star power.  More likely an over payment to entice someone to agree to a one year guarantee.  

Doesn't sound too exciting.  A pick, a Wright trade for a useful, but expiring player and a MLE rental.  But, that is the world we will live in if Marks is right about hanging onto 2021 cap space.  BTW, the pick might be a stash.  Recall a Wright for Thaddeus Young deal left us a little shy of the full Giannis max.  A two year stash would solve that.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 03:24 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We only have one open roster slot if everyone is back (KP, THJ, Powell, Wright, Maxi, Luka, Seth, Jackson, Boban, DFS, WCS, Brunson, Pick, Pick = 14 players). 

I think it is more likely that any potential 2nd round pick replaces Reaves and/or Cleveland as a 2-way contract. Also think that WCS is gone. Without any trades the Mavs will probably have 2-3 available roster spots and 2 new two-way players.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 11:08 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:25 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Sorting them by PPG probably does not help in a search for 3&D wings.

And there are players missing. Morris for example is one.

Hahah, I knew someone was going to notice it. Yeah, I omitted him with all the drama he cause, but his actually top 4 PPG thats UFA.

"I don’t want to deal with that kind of player" - Luka Doncic

(08-30-2020, 06:49 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I mean, damn. Their thought process must have been, "Let's make sure he doesn't get injured and have his trade value get even worse."

I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to it than just RC benching him. Like Wright being dissapointed with his role and unmotivated.

There was game 2 when RC was all praise about Wright and singled him out after the game despite a pretty average performance. Wright again showed nothing in game 3 and was more or less benched since then.

If I'm not mistaken, during the regular season there were a few rumors reported about Wright being unhappy with his bench-role.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 05:03 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, during the regular season there were a few rumors reported about Wright being unhappy with his bench-role.

Wright should be benched from the bench.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 03:47 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 03:24 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We only have one open roster slot if everyone is back (KP, THJ, Powell, Wright, Maxi, Luka, Seth, Jackson, Boban, DFS, WCS, Brunson, Pick, Pick = 14 players). 

I think it is more likely that any potential 2nd round pick replaces Reaves and/or Cleveland as a 2-way contract. Also think that WCS is gone. Without any trades the Mavs will probably have 2-3 available roster spots and 2 new two-way players.

Not at #31.  That kind of thing has happened for picks in the 50's and maybe a few in the late 40's.  Dallas's is much more likely to give a high second extra years and eat up part of the MLE.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 06:23 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Dallas's is much more likely to give a high second extra years and eat up part of the MLE.

I don't understand this part. Why not a vet min contract, why does it have to be part of MLE?
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 03:24 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Whatever amount of the MLE is used, it will probably be used on a one year deal.  So, don't count on any star power.  More likely an over payment to entice someone to agree to a one year guarantee.  

Doesn't sound too exciting.  A pick, a Wright trade for a useful, but expiring player and a MLE rental.  But, that is the world we will live in if Marks is right about hanging onto 2021 cap space.  BTW, the pick might be a stash.  Recall a Wright for Thaddeus Young deal left us a little shy of the full Giannis max.  A two year stash would solve that.

So, my prediction if we take the Plan Powder path (not advocating, just observing a potential reality) is Trade Wright for T Young and sign RHJ using part of the MLE with only one year guaranteed.  That adds two vets with defensive credentials and we now have THJ, Jackson and RHJ expiring and Young with only $6mm guaranteed. 

In the draft, they pick a European at 18 and don't bring him over until 22 (probably Pokusevski, Maledon or Bolmaro).  I don't think we would use a pick in the Chicago deal, meaning we still have #31.  It will be an upperclassman.  If Young, RHJ and THJ are temps, then #31 would logically slot in to replace one of them down the road.  I think Lee returns.

(08-31-2020, 06:38 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 06:23 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Dallas's is much more likely to give a high second extra years and eat up part of the MLE.

I don't understand this part. Why not a vet min contract, why does it have to be part of MLE?

Below is the quote from Marks.  Last season Curry got $7.461mm of the MLE and Roby got $1.5mm

"If the 2019 draft is an indicator, a portion (up to $1.5 million) of the Mavericks' midlevel exception will be used to sign their second-round pick. The exception will be needed if the Mavericks offer a contract that is more than two seasons. Last year, 16 of the 18 players selected in Round 2 signed for at least three seasons.

Because there is a priority on cap space for 2021, what remains of the midlevel ($7-8 million) will likely be used to sign a player or two to a one-year contract (such as Trey Burke) or in the buyout market after the 2021 trade deadline."
Like Reply
Reading this piece below. Two main points where I see potential for Mavs
1. Minny will explore to trade #1 pick. My side note - NYK might be desperate to move up
2. Describing what Minny needs: "Someone who can block shots, is mobile enough to play on perimeter and can make shots from 3point line". Maxi is literally a definition of this guy. 

So assuming we like someone in the draft, for example Vassell, and NYK trades for the first round pick, I would do this trade:
Kleber, Wright, #18 for
Johnson, #8

The trade clears cap space for 2021, Johnson is a good enough enforcer for a season to replace Kleber and Vassell is the future 3-D starter. Minny gets a guy who would fit great next to Towns and a solid back up PG. 

https://theathletic.com/2013965/2020/08/...n-preview/
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 11:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:43 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:30 PM)WillE Wrote: It would probably make sense to decide for one of Powel or Kleber and turn the other into something else.

(08-30-2020, 05:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: And I wonder who the Mavs would be trying to target if they're looking for an enforcer.

Marcus Morris?  Angel
[Image: giphy.gif]

However, that's probably the best insurance against Morris targeting Luka while on some other team. And he becomes every other team's problem. Remember when that one douche (edit: it was Tim Thomas) blew kisses at Dirk and played for us the season or so after? Fences can be mended, even with ambulant used toilet paper like MMS.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...13697?s=20
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 07:33 AM)omahen Wrote: Reading this piece below. Two main points where I see potential for Mavs
1. Minny will explore to trade #1 pick. My side note - NYK might be desperate to move up
2. Describing what Minny needs: "Someone who can block shots, is mobile enough to play on perimeter and can make shots from 3point line". Maxi is literally a definition of this guy. 

So assuming we like someone in the draft, for example Vassell, and NYK trades for the first round pick, I would do this trade:
Kleber, Wright, #18 for
Johnson, #8

The trade clears cap space for 2021, Johnson is a good enough enforcer for a season to replace Kleber and Vassell is the future 3-D starter. Minny gets a guy who would fit great next to Towns and a solid back up PG. 

https://theathletic.com/2013965/2020/08/...n-preview/

Very interesting.  Add's a talent that might be valued in a big trade (or as a long term talent here) and creates room for 2021 pursuits.  I almost think we need two sets of Off Season threads.  One would be Plan Powder ideas and other would be Plan Go-For-It-Now ideas.  

Just because you post such an idea (say a Plan Powder idea), doesn't mean you can't see the beauty of Go For It Now ideas.  Strategically, the question is probably what idea gives us the best starting lineup for the three years after the 2021 season begins.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Just because you post such an idea (say a Plan Powder idea), doesn't mean you can't see the beauty of Go For It Now ideas.  Strategically, the question is probably what idea gives us the best starting lineup for the three years after the 2021 season begins.

I guess there are a million possible ideas that would make us better. The question is, which one is actually available. Certainly a question, that is above us to know the answer. I think it would be more useful to rank ideas. 

For me personally, for example, my number one idea would be a trade for Richardson (three team with Detroit sending Wright and a pick to Detroit and Kennard/Rose to Philly) and sign someone like Grant or Milsap for MLE. 

Close second is a trade of Wright for T.Young and sign Dunn or Jones Jr for MLE. 

If both of those fail, I have a number of other ideas Smile
Like Reply
@"DanSchwartzman" I love this Wright for Thad Young idea. I think the Bulls would probably do that? Young still has 6 mil guaranteed in that last year which is probably as much as the Mavs would want on the books in 2021.

I do NOT think the Mavs will spend the MLE unless they completely dump Wright's money and even then Wright was not actually an MLE, he was signed with bird rights. His deal also had decreasing salary each year. I am pretty sure you don't have to spend all of 10 mil of the MLE on a player but I think the min years is 3 (can someone verify)?

All that to say I am skeptical that the MLE will be in play at all. You have at a minimum these chips to play with:

1. THJ's expiring (altho I don't believe he is moved unless its a slam dunk upgrade)
2. Jackson's expiring might be the most underrated chip this year
3. #18 and #31 to attach to any deal
4. Wright who 99% will get moved this year
5. rMLE which probably gets used on a decent vet
6. MLE which is not guaranteed to be used unless Mavs can still keep a max slot open in 2021.

I could definitely see Wright and Jackson moved along with at least 1 pick. You could pick up 3 vets of varying quality using rMLE, Wright & Jackson. Depending on confidence in 2021 cap clearing the Mavs might just use some of the MLE on a budget 3 year contract that's above the vet min and doesn't cut too much into 2021. That would get you a 4th non-vet min player.

(08-31-2020, 08:56 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Just because you post such an idea (say a Plan Powder idea), doesn't mean you can't see the beauty of Go For It Now ideas.  Strategically, the question is probably what idea gives us the best starting lineup for the three years after the 2021 season begins.

I guess there are a million possible ideas that would make us better. The question is, which one is actually available. Certainly a question, that is above us to know the answer. I think it would be more useful to rank ideas. 

For me personally, for example, my number one idea would be a trade for Richardson (three team with Detroit sending Wright and a pick to Detroit and Kennard/Rose to Philly) and sign someone like Grant or Milsap for MLE. 

Close second is a trade of Wright for T.Young and sign Dunn or Jones Jr for MLE. 

I am pretty sure Wright for T Young and MLE are mutually exclusive given Young's 6 mil guarantee. 

Don't be shocked if Mavs do a trade down or even give up a pick to trade Wright into cap space for some team that is under the cap.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 08:56 AM)omahen Wrote: For me personally, for example, my number one idea would be a trade for Richardson (three team with Detroit sending Wright and a pick to Detroit and Kennard/Rose to Philly)
I don’t see how Wright and a non-specific pick are worth Rose and Kennard. I think Rose and Kennard is worth Richardson and any number of picks Phi has this year. Not sure why the Mavs are included at all.
Like Reply
(08-31-2020, 09:41 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" I love this Wright for Thad Young idea. I think the Bulls would probably do that? Young still has 6 mil guaranteed in that last year which is probably as much as the Mavs would want on the books in 2021.

I do NOT think the Mavs will spend the MLE unless they completely dump Wright's money and even then Wright was not actually an MLE, he was signed with bird rights. His deal also had decreasing salary each year. I am pretty sure you don't have to spend all of 10 mil of the MLE on a player but I think the min years is 3 (can someone verify)?

All that to say I am skeptical that the MLE will be in play at all. You have at a minimum these chips to play with:

1. THJ's expiring (altho I don't believe he is moved unless its a slam dunk upgrade)
2. Jackson's expiring might be the most underrated chip this year
3. #18 and #31 to attach to any deal
4. Wright who 99% will get moved this year
5. rMLE which probably gets used on a decent vet
6. MLE which is not guaranteed to be used unless Mavs can still keep a max slot open in 2021.

I could definitely see Wright and Jackson moved along with at least 1 pick. You could pick up 3 vets of varying quality using rMLE, Wright & Jackson. Depending on confidence in 2021 cap clearing the Mavs might just use some of the MLE on a budget 3 year contract that's above the vet min and doesn't cut too much into 2021. That would get you a 4th non-vet min player.

(08-31-2020, 08:56 AM)omahen Wrote:

I am pretty sure Wright for T Young and MLE are mutually exclusive given Young's 6 mil guarantee. 

Don't be shocked if Mavs do a trade down or even give up a pick to trade Wright into cap space for some team that is under the cap.

I really would be shocked, if the Mavs would waste any asset this year to waste any contract.

I can see it the other way around, if.
Like Reply