Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(08-30-2020, 06:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This seems to say (and MacMahon confirms) the Mavs are not going to compromise the ability to offer a MAX free agent in 2021.

That would make sense but if we dump Wright we could probably spend MLE this summer and still have a max space in 2021?

The Mavs cannot worry about 2021 capspace. Everyone saw Luka's interview. You have to build a team for next year to avoid rightfully pissing off Luka, but you have to do it in such a way that every non-Luka contract can be traded in the summer of 2021 to create room if need be. That means, THJ, Wright, and Powell have to go by any means necessary, and zero of the contracts brought in 1) are overpays if they extend past 2021, or 2) extend past 2021 if they are overpays.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:53 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: That would make sense but if we dump Wright we could probably spend MLE this summer and still have a max space in 2021?

Why are you so eager to dump him and spend assets to do it? It will be much much easier to do it next season, when he is expiring. This year you trade him, if you can. If not, you wait.

That's a good point but here is my rebuttal.

1. The Mavs don't want to waste a year with a guy who doesn't fit.

2. His money could be reallocated on an MLE player that DOES fit without compromising 2021. I promise the Mavs will not keep wright AND spend the full MLE on a player. Even though they could move Wright the next summer to free up space they have been so conservative for many years with future dollars. This summer they have the ammunition to dump him fairly easily. For example they may rather trade down from like 18 to 25 or something to dump Wright and then use 25 for a cheaper contract or flip it again for something else.

(08-30-2020, 06:57 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This seems to say (and MacMahon confirms) the Mavs are not going to compromise the ability to offer a MAX free agent in 2021.

That would make sense but if we dump Wright we could probably spend MLE this summer and still have a max space in 2021?

The Mavs cannot worry about 2021 capspace. Everyone saw Luka's interview. You have to build a team for next year to avoid rightfully pissing off Luka, but you have to do it in such a way that every non-Luka contract can be traded in the summer of 2021 to create room if need be. That means, THJ, Wright, and Powell have to go by any means necessary, and zero of the contracts brought in 1) are overpays if they extend past 2021, or 2) extend past 2021 if they are overpays.

I don't disagree that the Mavs *shouldn't* worry ab 2021 but we all know they will clear a max slot. This is the Mavs, it's what they do. I am pretty sure they can upgrade the roster this summer AND also keep that slot open for their delusional Giannis dream.
Like Reply
The Mavs in the summer of 2021 have these options:

1)  $91.5M committed w/ no THJ or Jackson.

2) $83M committed w/ no Wright, THJ, or Jackson.

3) $72M committed w/ no DP, Wright, THJ, or Jackson.

With the salary cap potentially being (much?) lower than $125M the Mavs plans have to possibly change significantly to get MAX room. I think you will see the Mavs be aggressive in the trade market, but I do not see them bringing back long term money unless they hit the jackpot in a trade.
Like Reply
Also @"Scott41theMavs" I will probably repeat this a lot over the next few months but Powell is just not a guy that's movable at all. We are talking ab a niche, overpaid role player with multiple years left on his deal coming off an Achilles injury. It's just not going to happen. In fact to come close to making it happen you'd have to burn other assets to dump him so it's just not happening. I actually think Powell will be fine next year off the bench doing things like he used to just without as much high-flying dunks.

(08-30-2020, 07:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs in the summer of 2021 have these options:

With the salary cap potentially being (much?) lower than $125M the Mavs plans have to possibly change significantly to get MAX room. I think you will see the Mavs be aggressive in the trade market, but I do not see them bringing back long term money unless they hit the jackpot in a trade.

This makes sense. @"Kammrath" I wonder if we could get a salary cap thread going to hash all the numbers out?
Like Reply
The good news is that an extension for THJ sure doesn't seem like it is possible if the Mavs want to have full room in 2021.
Like Reply
Remind me do MLE deals force you do like a min of 3 years length?

(08-30-2020, 07:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The good news is that an extension for THJ sure doesn't seem like it is possible if the Mavs want to have full room in 2021.

Mavs saved from themselves!
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 07:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: @Kammrath I wonder if we could get a salary cap thread going to hash all the numbers out?

I thought we would do that in here as well.

Do you think a separate thread is warranted during the offseason?
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 07:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 07:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: @Kammrath I wonder if we could get a salary cap thread going to hash all the numbers out?

I thought we would do that in here as well.

Do you think a separate thread is warranted during the offseason?

I think a thread pinned with just numbers, so not speaking to players and trades and whatnot.

So with Mavs being so hot after 2021 we are in a weird position where you have picks that could be traded but then they only want a 1-year deal.

Oladipo would fit the type of guy they might want as an upgrade over THJ. Gordon Hayward is another guy but Celtics can get something better than what the Mavs could offer.

Is it possible all the Mavs do is dump Wright and maybe actually draft cheap role players with those picks? The rMLE can probably get a decent player on a 1+1 type deal, like RHJ is an example.
Like Reply
Here is a new trade

Brunson + THJ + Powell + #18 for Blake Griffin.

If the Pistons can´t have any fans in the crowd due to COVID, Blake´s commercial value is close to zero. The team is in rebuild mode and he does not want to be there. They save a lot of money and get two vitual late first round picks. Given his contract and the season he has had, I think that´s fair value. Furthermore they can re-sign Wood and give him the starting spot.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 07:35 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Here is a new trade

Brunson + THJ + Powell + #18 for Blake Griffin.

If the Pistons can´t have any fans in the crowd due to COVID, Blake´s commercial value is close to zero. The team is in rebuild mode and he does not want to be there. They save a lot of money and get two vitual late first round picks. Given his contract and the season he has had, I think that´s fair value. Furthermore they can re-sign Wood and give him the starting spot.

Why would the Mavs want Blake Griffin?  Beside the fact that he is never healthy, his contract might be one of the worst in the league.  And the Mavs give up a pick to acquire him....Big time PASS!
Like Reply
Overall, I say this was a successful season. This season was all about making the playoffs and getting a taste of that and shifting the focus to winning from tanking. We did those things.

At times it felt like we showed that this season could be more which makes the 1st round exit seem disappointing, but overall I think those hopes came from times when this team showed the absolute best they could, and asking a team that is still rather shallow talent wise and experience wise to consistently hit that mark, them even surpass it when the time came, was a lot to ask. 

I think we've built a solid foundation now, and from here on out the goal is championship. The West is likely to still be stacked next year, but with Luka who is already transcendent and still improving, that should always be the goal, and seasons where we don't make the Conference Finals outside of significant injuries should count as disappointing. 

It's odd going into the offseason without the certainty of when next season will start. Hell at this point we don't even know definitively when the draft will happen, free agency will start, or even if we'll crown a champion in the bubble. I expect we'll have a lot of time to discuss things, and even for us as fans on a message board to come up with where we think the team should go may be up in the air for awhile since the salary cap situation is fluid.  With that said, here's a quick breakdown of who I would like back, who I want gone, and who I could be convinced either way. A lot of this is talent based, a decent amount is salary/team-building based, and a little bit personality based (Boban has to stay!). 

Players I want to keep:
- Luka
- Porzingis
- Curry
- DFS
- Maxi 
- Boban 
- Burke/Brunson (fit similar roles, not sure if we need both)

Players I want gone:
- Wright
- Jackson
- Lee
- Powell 

Players I can be convinced either way:
- Barea
- WCS 
- THJ 
- MKG
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 07:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs in the summer of 2021 have these options:

Time and again we've seen cap space doesn't matter. Warriors created cap space to sign Durant the afternoon he signed. Clips traded their whole future away to create enough space for both Kawhi and George. Miami magically created 30 mil of space to sign Butler this off season when many thought they had zero shot. 

Point is, cap space can always be created. Even if it meant leveraging the future. Thankfully the Mavs best and most important asset will be under their control guaranteed the next 7 years at least. So the future is secure as long as Luka is on the team. 

I would not be afraid to take contracts back as long as it makes the team better. If Giannis wants to come, those contracts can be moved in an afternoon for nothing.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I don't think American FAs will be looking to come here just because we have Luka and KP. However, I do think international/Euro FAs would not only be interested in coming here but if they already have made their money give a discount (at least that is what I hope).

Here is a list of 30 and over UFAs with their age and career earnings inside ().

Marc Gasol (35 yrs, $178M) - I would love to have Gasol for the vet min coming off the bench for 10 or 15 min. He is no longer the DPOY he once was, but he still is an elite passer, can stretch the floor and I think he has a really high BBIQ.
Goran Dragic (34yrs, $115M) - Lukas teammate on the Slovenian national team and he seems to have enough gas in the tank to start next to Luka as a secondary ballhandler and spot-up shooter. Would love to have him for the vet min or some portion of the MLE.
Serge Ibaka (31 yrs, $120M) - He will defend anyone, except LeBron. He has been very durable throughout his career. This season he shot 38.5% from 3 and had 11 boards per 36. Can he be had for less than the full MLE?
Danilo Gallinari (32 yrs, $137M) - I love his offense, but he is not exactly a plus-defender. Maybe the full MLE would do it, but at that price I am not interested.
Thabo Sefolosha (36yrs, $47M) - He used to be a great defender and you could not leave him open on offense. His skills check a lot of boxes, but does he anything left in the tank. He might cost more than vet min, but my guess is less than 50% of the MLE.
Marco Belinelli (34yrs, $49M) - You cannot have too much shooting. But 3-and-no-D player is not what we need.
Ian Mahinmi (33yrs, 85M) - Even at a vet min, does he move the needle? I think I would pass.
Mathew Dellavedova (30yrs, $41M) - The guards we have under contract are all better than Delavedova.

Here is a list of under 30 UFAs with their age and career earnings inside (). Player with no comment means I don't know enough about them.

Willy Hernangomez (26yrs, $6M) - A cheap young center who potentially could stretch the floor (sample size of 3s to low to know) while not being a defensive liability, what's not to like. Willy and Luka played togther at Real Madrid 2015/16.
Davis Bertrans (27 yrs, $16M) - KPs teammate on the Latvian national team. He can shoot lights-out but suspect defense and rebounding at the PF position. At 27 and improving I think he will command more than the full MLE.
Alex Len (27yrs, $28M) - Don't know why, but I always felt Len could be a very solid contributor in the right system. Is a traditional center a good fit? With Boban on the team I would say no..
Emmanuel Mudiay (24yrs, $16M) - I view Mudiay as a reclamation project. So with a crowded backcourt I pass.
Bismack Biyombo (28yrs, $83M) -
Bruno Caboclo (25yrs, $10M) -
Raul Neto (28yrs, $7M) -
Skal Labissiere (24) -
Like Reply
Hope Giannis wins it all with the Bucks so we can end that pipedream. Focus on Dennis Schroder in 2021! I believe with the Dirk and Kleber connection, plus the opportunity to start, the Mavs would have the edge on Schroder in any bidding war.
Like Reply
I also think our play is in the trade market. Only 4 names discussed in this thread am I somewhat interested in, Favors, DJJ, Aminu and Crowder. Favors is the only name in there that I'm pretty high on, the others are basically the same guys we have, with a defensive slant as opposed to offensive (which we do need on this team, but there is a chance that that bites us the opposite way). Trades is how we're going to make any big difference for next year.

Edit: Marc Gasol would be a good get to backup KP if Powell is moved too. Not sure his price tag is vet min though, who knows.
Like Reply
We need a terrific 2-way player. Position doesn’t matter because the current group has so much versatility. Somebody who can O and D at a high level, even in the playoffs. That’s why Bradley Beale keeps getting mentions. Arent a whole lot of other guys who can send THJ and Maxi to the bench. Fingers crossed that Brunson can become one.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 10:25 PM)Jommybone Wrote: We need a terrific 2-way player. Position doesn’t matter because the current group has so much versatility. Somebody who can O and D at a high level, even in the playoffs. That’s why Bradley Beale keeps getting mentions. Arent a whole lot of other guys who can send THJ and Maxi to the bench. Fingers crossed that Brunson can become one.
Man I like Brunson, but if he is our offseason hope, we had a really bad offseason IMO. I also don't think Beal is the defender you're talking about.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...6948768770
Like Reply
James Johnson from Minny would be a good enforcer. 15m expiring.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:25 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 06:21 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Sorting them by PPG probably does not help in a search for 3&D wings.

And there are players missing. Morris for example is one.

Hahah, I knew someone was going to notice it. Yeah, I omitted him with all the drama he cause, but his actually top 4 PPG thats UFA.
Like Reply