Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(08-30-2020, 06:07 PM)FunkBoreland Wrote:
Top 25 UFA Free Agents
Sorted by Highest PPG

[Image: LWR_Recording.png]

Thanks for this......

.....but BARF. The Mavs need to be chasing the trade market big time. Basically nothing in FA that looks to me to be a realistic solution.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:23 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Sorry, I am pretty down on THJ.

THJ had a very solid season. He is just fine offensively, despite some bad game here and there. His problem is defensive side. 

Btw - playof P is number 2 option and he had another bad offensive performance. 4 bad in 6 games. 6-19 from the floor, 5 turnovers.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:19 PM)omahen Wrote: Out of that 25 co called best UFA, these are the only ones I would be interested in:
- VanVleet (I don't see any chance we could get him)
- Dragic (I am 99% sure he stays in Miami)
- Ibaka (he is worth more than MLE, but I wouldn't spend assets in SnT to get him)
- Bertans will resign with Washington
- Wood - I doubt he comes for MLE
- Millsap - I would sign him for a 1+1, we need some veteran presence and he can still provide
- Crowder - enforcer type we could use
- Harris - if we trade THJ, too bad defensively

Bertans staying in Washington is not a sure thing at all. Washington is never any good and they don't have full bird rights. Bertans is going to have a LOT of suitors including teams that will pay more than Washington can offer.

Ibaka is a guy I like.

Crowder is also a guy I really like who obviously knows our system and would be a good fit next to KP. Miami does have his bird rights so they might be able to keep him. I am not sure if you can do like 1 year deals with bird rights? (someone please advise). I don't imagine Miami would do a multi-year deal on any non-stars as they will be a big force in the 2021 FA market.

Crowder might be a guy you could get on a value deal.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: .....but BARF. The Mavs need to be chasing the trade market big time. Basically nothing in FA that looks to me to be a realistic solution.

We don't have cap space anyway. There are lots of interesting MLE level options though. Dunn, Jones Jr., Saric, Justin Holiday, J. Hernangomez, Or some reclamation projects that could be around for for vet min like Valentine, Maker, Hernangomez, Giles, Hartenstein
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:28 PM)omahen Wrote:

THJ had a very solid season. He is just fine offensively, despite some bad game here and there. His problem is defensive side. 

Btw - playof P is number 2 option and he had another bad offensive performance. 4 bad in 6 games. 6-19 from the floor, 5 turnovers.

Problem with THJ as you pointed out is his defense. Not even on ball but as a team defender. No one misses more rotations, screws up switches or completly blows the pick and roll scheme. He also doesn´t add anything outside of shooting on offense. Not a good rebounder either.
When his shot isn´t falling he has no other way to contribute. He obviously is a good shooter and has a role in this league but I don´t think he is worth more than MLE money.
Like Reply
Once again, with different numbering, my take on the Mavs' offseason needs (approaching it as if they only had one year to set the ship right for the next three, which of course isn't the case):

Player1: A combo guard with solid PG skills who can create his own shot, quarterback the team with Luka off the floor, is a deadeye shooter in catch-and-shoot, and can defend point guards. Essentially, Jrue or CP, but their teams aren't likely to let them go.

Player2: A very high level 3 and D wing with better length and wingspan than DFS. I know everyone wants this player to be able to create his own shot. That's nuts. Kawhi, PG, and Lebron aren't coming here. 

Player3: A very good floor-stretching rebounding and defensive big man who backs up KP, but can also step in when KP is injured so that zero near future Luka playoffs are Mavs forfeits. 

Player4: A traditional bruiser-type PF, bench-level.

Player5: A very good 3 and D wing to bring off the bench.

I've seen a lot of people who seem to dislike the idea of Favors. I think Favors covers 3 & 4. 

So essentially:
Luka/Brunson or Burke
Player1/Curry
DFS/Player 5
Player2/Player4 
KP/Player3/Bobi

If you get Favors as the 3-4, then:
Luka/Brunson or Burke
Player1/Curry
Player2/DFS
Favors/Maxi
KP/Favors/Bobi 
...with DFS or Maxi stepping in at the four if KP goes down. 

Given the extremely high premium and direly low availability of the Player2 skillset, I believe that the best way for the Mavs to address that one is the draft. I would target who you think that guy is, and try to buy your way up to where he is sure to be available if you don't think he's going to be on the board at 18. In any event, the roster I laid out makes THJ, Wright, Powell, and most of the rest of our players available as trade "assets" to try to get those players.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:28 PM)omahen Wrote:

I am definitely good with trading THJ if we get someone better but it's not a lock we can upgrade THJ. He was having a good series until the last couple of games when it was hopeless anyway. THJ does great with all the space that KP and Luka provide. He is a pretty well-rounded player at this point, including solid if not amazing defense.

He's also a good culture fit and I like his intensity out on the floor. Again we lost KP which meant we had no real second option. When THJ is your 3rd option in the starting lineup he is actually pretty good. I hope he does not get extended because I would like to just see him play out that last year and also work as a trade chip.

It's also not a lock that he opts in. He could do like Barnes and opt out for a reasonable deal. Barnes did 24, 22, 20, 18. THJ who is basically around the same age could do like 18, 17, 16 or something like that which is pretty good value if you need a well-rounded starting SG.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:34 PM)omahen Wrote: Dunn, Jones Jr., Saric, Justin Holiday, J. Hernangomez, Or some reclamation projects that could be around for for vet min like Valentine, Maker, Hernangomez, Giles, Hartenstein

I like some of these names WAY better than the above list anyway. 

Saric, Hernangomez, and Jones Jr would get a long look from me.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 05:47 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:24 PM)Tyler Wrote: #5 on the salary list just got DNPs in 2 of the last 3 games with a shorthanded team.

I think you can't give a clearer message that you are not counting on a player anymore. I mean, they will certainly not be just dumping him, but he will be first name on the list of any trade.

I mean, damn. Their thought process must have been, "Let's make sure he doesn't get injured and have his trade value get even worse."

(08-30-2020, 06:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: THJ who is basically around the same age could do like 18, 17, 16 or something like that which is pretty good value if you need a well-rounded starting SG.

Horrors. That would be a nightmarish overpay for THJ. There's a difference between taking on a bad contract as part of the price of doing business and compounding your mistake. If he's opting out and I'm the Mavs, he can come back for an average of $14 mil or less.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...7659512832
Like Reply
Derrick Jones Jr and RHJ are both defensive athletes that the Mavs have liked. Maurice Harkless will be available. It's really a good offseason for wings and Mavs really need at least 1 starting caliber wing.
Like Reply
This seems to say (and MacMahon confirms) the Mavs are not going to compromise the ability to offer a MAX free agent in 2021.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I mean, damn. Their thought process must have been, "Let's make sure he doesn't get injured and have his trade value get even worse."

I wouldn't be surprised if there is more to it than just RC benching him. Like Wright being dissapointed with his role and unmotivated.

There was game 2 when RC was all praise about Wright and singled him out after the game despite a pretty average performance. Wright again showed nothing in game 3 and was more or less benched since then.
Like Reply
Aminu is a guy you could probably get for not much if you send out Wright. Obviously Mavs will be big on dumping Wright this offseason. I would not be shocked even if they had to use a pick or a trade-down to dump his deal. It might not be necessary but I am pretty sure they do not want his salary hanging around another 2 years.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...7659512832

Do you have access to ESPN+, could you post main points? For some reason it is only available in US.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This seems to say (and MacMahon confirms) the Mavs are not going to compromise the ability to offer a MAX free agent in 2021.

That would make sense but if we dump Wright we could probably spend MLE this summer and still have a max space in 2021?
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:51 PM)omahen Wrote: Do you have access to ESPN+, could you post main points? For some reason it is only available in US.

I do not.
Like Reply
I wish we had DLord around to do some cap analysis for 2021.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:51 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: That would make sense but if we dump Wright we could probably spend MLE this summer and still have a max space in 2021?

Why are you so eager to dump him and spend assets to do it? It will be much much easier to do it next season, when he is expiring. This year you trade him, if you can. If not, you wait.
Like Reply
(08-30-2020, 06:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:47 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-30-2020, 05:24 PM)Tyler Wrote: #5 on the salary list just got DNPs in 2 of the last 3 games with a shorthanded team.

I think you can't give a clearer message that you are not counting on a player anymore. I mean, they will certainly not be just dumping him, but he will be first name on the list of any trade.

I mean, damn. Their thought process must have been, "Let's make sure he doesn't get injured and have his trade value get even worse."

(08-30-2020, 06:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: THJ who is basically around the same age could do like 18, 17, 16 or something like that which is pretty good value if you need a well-rounded starting SG.

Horrors. That would be a nightmarish overpay for THJ. There's a difference between taking on a bad contract as part of the price of doing business and compounding your mistake. If he's opting out and I'm the Mavs, he can come back for an average of $14 mil or less.

I don't really want to give him an extension, I am saying there's a good chance another team would do something like that but who knows. His floor in terms of value is MLE and I think probably a little bit higher. Best case scenario to me is IF he can't be upgraded then he comes back on a 1 year deal.
Like Reply