Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JET Plan
(11-26-2020, 06:37 AM)Halfnir Wrote: Don't pay players for what they could be. In most cases you'll end up with an overpaid player and a negative asset.

You pay them for what they are and hope they outperform their contract.

Yep. We gave Barnes big money on what he could be. He wound up being about the same as a 1 option here s he was as a 3/4 option in GS.
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 10:33 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 10:15 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: it is probably PF and they are probably willing to go multi-year to do so

If we go after pure PF (not big wing like OPJ), than I see Turner and Gordon as the only theoretical possible options that make sense for us. I don't think Thad Young is good enough upgrade and I am not going into Barnes of the world. Collins and Isaac could be targets next offseason. 

OPJ is the only big wing that could make sense imho. His 28 mil is difficult to trade. Kleber+Johnson?
J Rich, THj and OPj seems like enough in a starting lineup with Luka and KP

Is it enough size though to take on LAL?
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 01:14 PM)Jason Terry Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 10:15 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: it is probably PF and they are probably willing to go multi-year to do so

If we go after pure PF (not big wing like OPJ), than I see Turner and Gordon as the only theoretical possible options that make sense for us. I don't think Thad Young is good enough upgrade and I am not going into Barnes of the world. Collins and Isaac could be targets next offseason. 

OPJ is the only big wing that could make sense imho. His 28 mil is difficult to trade. Kleber+Johnson?
J Rich, THj and OPj seems like enough in a starting lineup with Luka and KP

Is it enough size though to take on LAL?
Ya, I keep reading how OPJ is a big wing. I don't think he's any bigger than DFS TBH. Just looked up their size. DFS 6'7" 220 lbs, OPJ 6'8" 198 lbs. I don't see that as a big wing myself, that is basically standard size. He might be a guy like Tucker and RoCo and Green that plays bigger than they actually are though, so there's that possibility.
Like Reply
OPJ would be more of a THJ upgrade I think.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 03:02 AM)Branduil Wrote: OPJ would be more of a THJ upgrade I think.
I think of him as a DFS upgrade and THJ is playing out of position if he's in the 3 spot as well as DFS playing out of position if he's playing the big wing spot (or 4). I do think Luka could probably bang a bit with the bigger guys of the league, so having him as the PG on O and big wing on D (with the exception of when they play against really good and big 4's like the Brow and such) would make sense to me.

Side note: Why is it positionless basketball if we're talking about small wing, wing and big wing that needs to be addressed?
Like Reply

Not advocating here, but Blake Griffin fits the mold of what we are talking about.  The aggregation date for Johnson is 12/17.  He and Powell and one more player (DFS) make the salaries work.  I don't believe Terry or Bey are signed yet.  Might swapping the two of them be part of such a deal?

This would really help Detroit's PF situation with Griffin, Grant and Doumbouya make more sense.  Rose is around for one more year and then Terry can be the shooter off the bench.  Detroit has a lot of young potential at SF among Bey, Jackson, Musa and Mykhailiuk, but no clear starter.  DFS for Bey would solve that and there is no way Dallas takes the Griffin risk without having something to show for it if Griffin can't stay healthy.

For Dallas, if they could string together a few games with both Griffin and KP healthy, this is as good as anyone.  A healthy Griffin is much better than many of the alternatives we've discussed at PF/Big Wing.  Bey for Terry relieves some of the log jam at PG and we move off of the Powell contract (himself an injury concern).  Schwartz is the agent for both Powell and Griffin.  Bey also signed with Excel.  

KP/WCS/Boban
Griffin/Maxi/Other Bey
THJ/Iwundu/Bey
Richardson/Burke/Green
Luka/Brunson/JJB
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 08:59 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Not advocating here, but Blake Griffin fits the mold of what we are talking about.  The aggregation date for Johnson is 12/17.  He and Powell and one more player (DFS) make the salaries work.  I don't believe Terry or Bey are signed yet.  Might swapping the two of them be part of such a deal?

This would really help Detroit's PF situation with Griffin, Grant and Doumbouya make more sense.  Rose is around for one more year and then Terry can be the shooter off the bench.  Detroit has a lot of young potential at SF among Bey, Jackson, Musa and Mykhailiuk, but no clear starter.  DFS for Bey would solve that and there is no way Dallas takes the Griffin risk without having something to show for it if Griffin can't stay healthy.

For Dallas, if they could string together a few games with both Griffin and KP healthy, this is as good as anyone.  A healthy Griffin is much better than many of the alternatives we've discussed at PF/Big Wing.  Bey for Terry relieves some of the log jam at PG and we move off of the Powell contract (himself an injury concern).  Schwartz is the agent for both Powell and Griffin.  Bey also signed with Excel.  

KP/WCS/Boban
Griffin/Maxi/Other Bey
THJ/Iwundu/Bey
Richardson/Burke/Green
Luka/Brunson/JJB

I think Griffin has negative value. He is slightly above the Wall category. Declining and injury-prone max guy on a 2-year deal. No way any team actually pays to get him. More likely that Detroit needs to attach picks if they want to move him this year. Don´t think Bey is enough. Next year is obviously a different story. Big expiring contract that could be used to trade for any contract in the league.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 09:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think Griffin has negative value. He is slightly above the Wall category. Declining and injury-prone max guy on a 2-year deal. No way any team actually pays to get him. More likely that Detroit needs to attach picks if they want to move him this year. Don´t think Bey is enough. Next year is obviously a different story. Big expiring contract that could be used to trade for any contract in the league.

I think that is fair and I tried to anticipate that criticism.  The deal is really Johnson + Powell for Griffin (so what exactly did we give up there).  Secondarily it is DFS/Terry for Bey.  Some may feel that is fair, but even if you don't, you are getting a shot at a substantial upgrade at PF for the cost of whatever spread you believe there to be between DFS/Terry and Bey.

The big expiring contract part of this might come in handy this summer.  What if Dallas got a good year out of Griffin.  If it becomes clear Milwaukee is going to lose Giannis to someone for nothing then would they take back Griffin as part of a S&T?  What if Giannis signs a 1+1.  His option year then lines up with Griffin's expiration.  I'm not sure how I feel about two star gimps on the same roster, but the upside is tantalizing and the cost was fairly minimal.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 09:33 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 09:22 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think Griffin has negative value. He is slightly above the Wall category. Declining and injury-prone max guy on a 2-year deal. No way any team actually pays to get him. More likely that Detroit needs to attach picks if they want to move him this year. Don´t think Bey is enough. Next year is obviously a different story. Big expiring contract that could be used to trade for any contract in the league.

I think that is fair and I tried to anticipate that criticism. The deal is really Johnson + Powell for Griffin (so what exactly did we give up there). Secondarily it is DFS/Terry for Bey. Some may feel that is fair, but even if you don't, you are getting a shot at a substantial upgrade at PF for the cost of whatever spread you believe there to be between DFS/Terry and Bey.

The big expiring contract part of this might come in handy this summer. What if Dallas got a good year out of Griffin. If it becomes clear Milwaukee is going to lose Giannis to someone for nothing then would they take back Griffin as part of a S&T? What if Giannis signs a 1+1. His option year then lines up with Griffin's expiration. I'm not sure how I feel about two star gimps on the same roster, but the upside is tantalizing and the cost was fairly minimal.

I agree with DFS98 - if we're giving up DFS and Terry for Griffin's carcass, I need at least two FRPs. '21 (the lauded deep-year draft) and '23 (the double draft) would be pretty good. Griffin is a lousy human being. Obtaining him gives up on the Giannis chase and nukes the Mavs' defense-first offseason as well. Yeah, so definitely those two picks, absolutely unprotected.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 08:59 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

KP/WCS/Boban
Griffin/Maxi/Other Bey
THJ/Iwundu/Bey
Richardson/Burke/Green
Luka/Brunson/JJB
Posts like this is exactly why i made this thread. You present an alternative. Explain why it makes sense. And how we could reasonably obtain the player. Too many posts are living in fantasy land where we give up nothing and get some all star 

Outside of how we initially match to get him, I do not think Griffins contract would prevent a max signing. He could easily be flipped in the sign and trade if that’s the route we go. As far as on the court i would be most concerned defensively. If the price was right, I’m in
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 08:59 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Blake Griffin

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
In the other thread i vote that KP will play on both positions, and with Giannis signing an extension i think priority now must be in trading for a good stretch 5, that will balanced our team.

Yes, i know i wrote about Myles Turner on the other threads also, but i think he should be perfect strech 5 next to Kristaps.

A team like...

Turner - WCS - Boban
Porzingis - Johnson
Richardson - DFS
Hardaway - Burke - Green
Luka - Brunson - Terry

Is still a real contender and a team with the brightest future.

The idea of a third and a 2021 free agency i think depends in what way next season is going to be. Depends on a how good season will have Hardaway or Richardson, how our rookies will devolop and also how good will other teams willl be. Or how many locker room problems will have, how many with injuries will have...

I think a team i wrote up is a real contender and in 2021 offseason i would only try to upgrade SG position with Hardaway for a player like Oladipo (for reasonable price) or Lavine who are upgrades over him.
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 12:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-28-2020, 08:59 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Blake Griffin

[Image: giphy.gif]

Your gif confuses me. Am I to infer that you are in favor of ruining the team for years to come by adding the ghost of Blake Griffin, or against?
Like Reply
(11-29-2020, 11:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Your gif confuses me. Am I to infer that you are in favor of ruining the team for years to come by adding the ghost of Blake Griffin, or against?

NOOOO!!!

I am Rachel trying to get Ross (Donnie) to hang up the phone with DET!!! 

I want NOTHING to do with GRIFFIN!
Like Reply