Brunson/Burke/Terry/Bey
2nd Rd picks 
*powell also possibly a trade candidate 

Trade targets
Otto Porter 28.4
Oladipo 21
LMA 24
John Collins 4.1

These are realistic options that will not cost a fortune nor effect our ability to keep cap space available. The goal should be: 1) get the best player out of THj, OPj and Oladipo 2) bring in a big if necessary. Obviously standing pat if everything goes perfectly is ideal, but that’s unlikely. 

For arguments sake, let’s say THj    can’t repeat his success. He becomes an obvious weak link while Johnson looks like a key contributor and veteran leader. (This is one of several possible outcomes with similar solutions at the trade deadline) 

Otto Porter for THj, WCS, Burke, Bey and a 2nd rd pick 

2021-22 Season

1. KP 31.6
2. OPj re-sign for 25 per year
3. Richardson re-sign for 20 per
4. Powell 11
5. Luka 10.2 signs max 
6. Johnson re-sign 1 yr for 10
7. Maxi 8.8
8. DFS 4
9. Green 3
10. Brunson 1.8
11. Terry 1.5
12. empty roster spot .6

=127.5 

Dump powell or maneuver salaries a bit and we still would have full MLE since we wouldn’t be using cap space. Could work it to where we barely miss the tax

^ this is plan A where we like what we got after a deep playoff run where everyone is healthy and fitting 

The alternative is cap space where we lose multiple role players and get a big fish

This pivot only makes sense if: 1) Giannis wants us
2) Giannis chooses TOR and OG wants us
3) PG13 wants us 
4) KP gets hurt and we go after Gobert

No other players are worth keeping cap space. If we choose the re-sign route we still have the MLE so there’s a “floor” of available space if we go that route. Cuban would need to be willing to go deep in the tax for a couple years and i think he will. This plan also lets us keep our FRP’s for any necessary future tinkering
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 12:42 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Trade sweeteners
Bey

[Image: giphy-2.gif]
Like Reply
We better not trade Terry.
Like Reply
I'd rather Green be a sweetener than Bae.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 12:42 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: 2. OPj re-sign for 25 per year
I'm a huge fan of OPJ, but this is WAY too much for him IMO. He's an $18-20M per player and I'd prefer him to be making less based on his recent history.
Like Reply
Green/Terry/Bey are all exciting additions to the Mavs and I can't wait to see how they turn out. But will that stop me from packing their bags if there is a good enough trade to include them in? Sorry folks, they're outta here.

I definitely don't think OPJ is worth any of them. Neither do I think LMA is worth it. 

Oladipo and John Collins are the only 2 I'd consider including 1 of Green/Terry/Bey, but it'd have to be a good trade because they each come with their own headaches.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 05:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 12:42 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: 2. OPj re-sign for 25 per year
I'm a huge fan of OPJ, but this is WAY too much for him IMO. He's an $18-20M per player and I'd prefer him to be making less based on his recent history.

Still too rich for my blood.
Like Reply
I think many of us are in love with what OPJ could be. There are not a lot of two-way wings who can shoot like he can. However, his health is still a huge question mark and could easily take him off the wishlist next year.
Like Reply
Don't pay players for what they could be. In most cases you'll end up with an overpaid player and a negative asset.

You pay them for what they are and hope they outperform their contract.
Like Reply
This whole discussion touches on the paradox the Mav's find themselves in.

1.  In order to max cap space they have to give up two starters.  If you try to keep THJ and JRich it will probably cost in the $25-$30mm range.  That basically leaves you about the MLE in cap space (so no real advantage to other teams with the MLE). Neither player is trash.  They both (along with Maxi) rank in the 80-125 range in the recent Athletic survey.  It would cost quite a bit to replace them.

OR

2.  Try to trade in-season for one more piece.  But we don't have much in the way of trade assets.  No one is going to give you a player of any value for Johnson's expiring deal.  Our newly drafted players are like new cars.  The moment you drive them off the lot they lose value.  

I think this will be what drives conversations until the TDL.  Should we try to grab another 4th starter type (giving us about 4 of those) and then lock everyone up.  Or, do we hold out for a third "star" to come in the summer.  Often we think of getting free agents as getting something for "free".  But, in our case it will cost at least one starter...maybe two.  I'm probably more the bird in hand type, but I'd like to see how THJ and JRich look with Luka.  It is unfortunate that we won't see much of that trio with KP prior to the TDL.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 09:25 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This whole discussion touches on the paradox the Mav's find themselves in.

Great piece you wrote. 

I totally agree Mavs should look for a trade to upgrade one position, either
- upgrade SG (THJ) with the assets (2027 pick, Brunson, role players like Kleber)
- upgrade the PF (DFS/Kleber) position for any combination of Johnson/DFS/Kleber/pick/Brunson. 

If some of unexpired money leaves Mavs in a trade, we probably have around 15 mil of cap space in 2021. Another good opportunity this teams have - if one of the many new wings (Iwudu, Green, Bey) shows he is able to play on a high level, we might be able to move the very valuable DFS contract.
Like Reply
I am in the camp of making a TRADE NOW.
The most compelling piece of that preference is the ability to combine C. Lee as an S&T piece to really escalate the salary coming back.
IMO the most desirable piece out there is Gobert, as he is the poster child of HIBW - a player you really acquire because of the long-term value, BUT is also an expiring contract that can be non-renewed if a BIGGER STAR wants to come as a FA.

I would be pleased IF Dallas could get a player like Gobert for Lee, Brunson, and Powell with 2 future 1st rd picks now, and then take a look at Tobias Harris for JJ and THJ either at the TDL or possibly in a S&T next summer if you would rather wait out the '21 class.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 01:43 PM)cow Wrote: We better not trade Terry.

Agree. He will become a star (IMO).
Like Reply
(11-26-2020, 09:25 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: This whole discussion touches on the paradox the Mav's find themselves in.

1.  In order to max cap space they have to give up two starters.  If you try to keep THJ and JRich it will probably cost in the $25-$30mm range.  That basically leaves you about the MLE in cap space (so no real advantage to other teams with the MLE). Neither player is trash.  They both (along with Maxi) rank in the 80-125 range in the recent Athletic survey.  It would cost quite a bit to replace them.

OR

2.  Try to trade in-season for one more piece.  But we don't have much in the way of trade assets.  No one is going to give you a player of any value for Johnson's expiring deal.  Our newly drafted players are like new cars.  The moment you drive them off the lot they lose value.  

I think this will be what drives conversations until the TDL.  Should we try to grab another 4th starter type (giving us about 4 of those) and then lock everyone up.  Or, do we hold out for a third "star" to come in the summer.  Often we think of getting free agents as getting something for "free".  But, in our case it will cost at least one starter...maybe two.  I'm probably more the bird in hand type, but I'd like to see how THJ and JRich look with Luka.  It is unfortunate that we won't see much of that trio with KP prior to the TDL.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Your words give a better explanation. Happy thanksgiving to you

I guess i would say that the best way forward is a Have-It-Both-Ways version of this paradox. That’s essentially what trading in-season for one more piece would be. So long as the piece is expiring, we still give ourselves the option for Max Star

The worst way forward is we go into FA with $35 million in space and try to sign multiple starters. Half the league has $20 million or more in space. Even in a bad year like this one with such little space, guys are getting overpaid.  Nothing but the Jae Crowder deal even looks decent from this year. 

Just a simple trade of our weakest link for a decent player would go a long way. The end result would be an extremely deep team or a team with 3 superstars. We can’t allow ourselves to be put in position where we come up empty. You said it best “give up starters” ....can’t afford to do that unless a superstar is coming our way

(11-26-2020, 10:42 AM)omahen Wrote:

Great piece you wrote. 

- upgrade SG (THJ) with the assets (2027 pick, Brunson, role players like Kleber)
- upgrade the PF (DFS/Kleber) position for any combination of Johnson/DFS/Kleber/pick/Brunson. 

If some of unexpired money leaves Mavs in a trade, we probably have around 15 mil of cap space in 2021. Another good opportunity this teams have - if one of the many new wings (Iwudu, Green, Bey) shows he is able to play on a high level, we might be able to move the very valuable DFS contract.
I would be fine with a bigger trade to upgrade a position. Even trading guys like DFS we all like. To pay a high price for a major upgrade in trade would need to be a finishing move IMO. We only have so much ammo left so i think it would need to wait till next offseason when we only have 1 owed 1st rd pick
Like Reply
Two names I would look at as upgrades at SF and PF are OPJ and Aaron Gordon.
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 05:53 AM)Branduil Wrote: Two names I would look at as upgrades at SF and PF are OPJ and Aaron Gordon.
I think, these 2 make our team pretty stout and ready to compete after a year. I think AG is the hard part since ORL wants allstar return for him. I think OPJ should be pretty much easily signed if we make him our #1 priority next offseason with the money we will most likely have. Would love to get AG through trade at the TDL once Isaac proves to ORL that he is their guy going forward, then OPJ next offseason.

A starting lineup of Luka/JRich/OPJ/AG/KP would be young and really fun to watch compete for championships for many, many years IMO.
Like Reply

Great piece you wrote. 

Thanks.

If you look at what I wrote in the Terry thread, I think the team’s rumored actions indicate it is probably PF and they are probably willing to go multi-year to do so.  Pursuits of Covington, Gallinari and possibly Crowder (though less clear) would back that up.

If you look at KP, Luka, JRich and THJ and all being among the top 125 players in the league, then the position we don’t have a high rating on is PF.  I get that Maxi is also in that Top 125, but Karella has presented data in the past that his best position is backup 5.  DFS works, but how much better are we with him off the bench.  

Now the question is who.  I’m more than happy to lock up THJ and JRich longer term if we can fill this spot in the starting lineup on a long term basis.
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 10:15 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Great piece you wrote. 

Thanks.

If you look at what I wrote in the Terry thread, I think the team’s rumored actions indicate it is probably PF and they are probably willing to go multi-year to do so.  Pursuits of Covington, Gallinari and possibly Crowder (though less clear) would back that up.

If you look at KP, Luka, JRich and THJ and all being among the top 125 players in the league, then the position we don’t have a high rating on is PF.  I get that Maxi is also in that Top 125, but Karella has presented data in the past that his best position is backup 5.  DFS works, but how much better are we with him off the bench.  

Now the question is who.  I’m more than happy to lock up THJ and JRich longer term if we can fill this spot in the starting lineup on a long term basis.
Jonathan Isaac to me would be perfect here in that role.  As much defense as Giannis and doesn't require the ball.  Prying him from Orlando would be hard.  Maybe if we took him on the mend for the future.
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 10:15 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: it is probably PF and they are probably willing to go multi-year to do so

If we go after pure PF (not big wing like OPJ), than I see Turner and Gordon as the only theoretical possible options that make sense for us. I don't think Thad Young is good enough upgrade and I am not going into Barnes of the world. Collins and Isaac could be targets next offseason. 

OPJ is the only big wing that could make sense imho. His 28 mil is difficult to trade. Kleber+Johnson?
Like Reply

Great piece you wrote. 

Thanks.

I’m in agreement that the 4 spot is most likely to be where we need an upgrade. I mainly included THj being upgraded in the OP because so many on the board think he won’t repeat his success 

Yes, DFS and Maxi would be the perfect 3-4-5 bench players 

WHO to target at the 4? The best young players seem like Collins, Markkanen, Issac and Aaron Gordon. The players you listed that we targeted could indicate we’re open to going smaller and more athletic at the 4. I could also see the 4 being where we bring in a veteran who we think still has some juice left for a few years. LMA, Rudy Gay, Aminu and thad young are a few names. James Johnson could be that guy. Gordon seems like the best we could hope for. How much are we willing to pay though?

(11-27-2020, 10:25 AM)Hypermav Wrote:

Great piece you wrote. 

Thanks.

Jonathan Isaac to me would be perfect here in that role.  As much defense as Giannis and doesn't require the ball.  Prying him from Orlando would be hard.  Maybe if we took him on the mend for the future.
Issac is very interesting. He won’t play next year, so he won’t be as expensive. If i was Orlando i would lock him up long term for cheap then trade Gordon and rebuild. Atlanta fans seem to think John Collins wants a max deal! A creative approach to a player like Issac may be a better long term use of resources
Like Reply