Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players boycott games | Playoffs resume Saturday
(08-26-2020, 04:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Yup attacking random bystanders, buildings, officers and setting cars on fire is a great way for everyone to enjoy justice.

Try empathy for those who have a different perspective than you. And also try not to label an entire movement and group based on some exceptional violent acts. Otherwise there will be no chance for communication or reconciliation.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 04:57 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Do the players want to "lynch" the cops?

Well they are trying to reach an attorney general. Why? Who are they to influence the process? Can anyone just give a call to attorney general and push his opinion (or even just enquire) how a certain matter will be dealt with?
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 04:44 PM)Darth Cuban Wrote: Shams

“Bucks players are in locker room attempting to reach the attorney general of Wisconsin, Josh Kaul, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Magic players are leaving the arena soon -- not accepting the Bucks‘ forfeit.”

What could they possibly say to him that would make a difference? I get idea behind the protest, and understand why they are upset, but this seems delusional.

And what is he supposed to do?

Fair play to them to keeping the pressure on and raising national awareness, but the change has to come at the state and national level. Can anyone see a nationally coordinated gun reform and law enforcement overhaul process being implemented successfully?  Confused

To be honest, how many countries with the size and inhabitants of the USA are truly run "100% democratically" around the world.

Is there such a thing as Too Big For Demcracy? Probably.

Maybe the only unrealistic solution for progress would be to split America into 5-7 independent countries.
Like Reply
If it all shuts down.  Game 4 was the the best NBA game all year.  Luka is MVP of the playoff bubble.  Mavs would have regrouped and won it all.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Smile
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MikeLeslieWFAA/statu...9346203650

https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/...0149761025
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 03:33 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: We need to "suspend" the playoffs until KP's knee gets better. Hey I just found common ground with BLM. I think a 2-week suspension is in order!
Excellent idea!!!!
Like Reply
Brewers/Reds baseball game has been canceled. More teams are considering doing the same.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Well they are trying to reach an attorney general. Why? Who are they to influence the process? Can anyone just give a call to attorney general and push his opinion (or even just enquire) how a certain matter will be dealt with?

Yes, anyone can use their voice. It may not be heard, but they can try. It's what our "free speech" is supposed to be about. It's what our "by the people, for the people" is supposed to be about. Folks in the U.S. wouldn't be able to relate to "Who are they to influence the process?" Using our voice and vote to influence the process is part of who we are.
Like Reply
You've got to be kidding me. What a load of horse hockey. If Blake was refusing to obey legal commands and fighting the police, as reports indicate, his getting shot is on him.

mtrot, keep this thread about the players' possible boycott. If you do that then the wider issues can be part of that discussion. But if you just want to talk about the shooting alone, go to ROW or the Cave - Fifteenth

To admin:

I don't want to talk about the shooting alone.  But as I understand it, this incident is what has precipitated the players' boycott.  So, I don't see how you can separate the two things.  Please advise.

m, you only wrote about your opinion on the shooting. nothing about the boycott. 
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:12 PM)Hypermav Wrote: If it all shuts down.  Game 4 was the the best NBA game all year.  Luka is MVP of the playoff bubble.  Mavs would have regrouped and won it all.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Smile
I think it would only be fair to decide the championship this year by the criteria "best single game play-off win in the bubble"! Tongue
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Yes, anyone can use their voice. It may not be heard, but they can try. It's what our "free speech" is supposed to be about. It's what our "by the people, for the people" is supposed to be about. Folks in the U.S. wouldn't be able to relate to "Who are they to influence the process?" Using our voice and vote to influence the process is part of who we are.

I am not sure we understand eachother. Of course we also have elections where we can vote. Of course we can raise our voice in public. But we were not speaking about elections or raising our voice in public. We were speaking about (at least this was my understanding) interfering with ongoing investigation by calling a district attorney. No way public can get involved in a such a thing and what public gets is a media statement, something like - we are doing everything we can to conduct the investigation according to law as soon as possible. We will notify you once more results will be final. We can't disclose detailed information due to protection of the process.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: You've got to be kidding me. What a load of horse hockey. If Blake was refusing to obey legal commands and fighting the police, as reports indicate, his getting shot is on him.

If anyone wants to respond to mtrot's post by arguing with him about the things that I asked him to take to the ROTW or the Cave, do it in ROTW or the Cave. - Fifteenth
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:33 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 05:20 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Yes, anyone can use their voice. It may not be heard, but they can try. It's what our "free speech" is supposed to be about. It's what our "by the people, for the people" is supposed to be about. Folks in the U.S. wouldn't be able to relate to "Who are they to influence the process?" Using our voice and vote to influence the process is part of who we are.

I am not sure we understand eachother. Of course we also have elections where we can vote. Of course we can raise our voice in public. But we were not speaking about elections or raising our voice in public. We were speaking about (at least this was my understanding) interfering with ongoing investigation by calling a district attorney. No way public can get involved in a such a thing and what public gets is a media statement, something like - we are doing everything we can to conduct the investigation according to law as soon as possible. We will notify you once more results will be final. We can't disclose detailed information due to protection of the process.

In the U.S. we can call and write our officials. They may not answer, but we can call and write. In the U.S., calling and writing officials is not considered interfering with the process.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: You've got to be kidding me. What a load of horse hockey. If Blake was refusing to obey legal commands and fighting the police, as reports indicate, his getting shot is on him.

mtrot, keep this thread about the players' possible boycott. If you do that then the wider issues can be part of that discussion. But if you just want to talk about the shooting alone, go to ROW or the Cave - Fifteenth

To admin:

I don't want to talk about the shooting alone.  But as I understand it, this incident is what has precipitated the players' boycott.  So, I don't see how you can separate the two things.  Please advise.

m, you only wrote about your opinion on the shooting. nothing about the boycott. 
Fifteenth, when I wrote, "you've got to be kidding me.  What a load of horse hockey", that was indeed about the boycott.  I guess I should have been more clear.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:42 PM)mtrot Wrote: Fifteenth, when I wrote, "you've got to be kidding me.  What a load of horse hockey", that was indeed referring to the boycott.  I guess I should have been more clear.

Oh, yeah, I didn't catch that. Still, I don't think this thread should be about the details of the shooting. If the topic is about the shooting itself it should be in the ROTW or Cave or it's own thread.

-this post mod-ed by omahen!
Like Reply
What happened to my response Fif? Did you delete it? It's no where to be found.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:40 PM)fifteenth Wrote: In the U.S. we can call and write our officials. They may not answer, but we can call and write. In the U.S., calling and writing officials is not considered interfering with the process.

Of course I can also write a letter or even try to make a call. But the official can't do anything other than what I said. So basically pointless to write a letter or give a call.

(08-26-2020, 05:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think this thread should be about whether walking to your car while police try to detain you warrants getting shot in the back

Sorry, but you are a bit impartial here, a bit of using your admin position to provide your take on the subject. This is only one of possible interpretations as a lot of other stuff was alegedly happening before that specific thing described. Knives, tazers used with no effect, gun threats from the victim and similar were mentioned. So it is very unfair at this point to say this was just a walk to a car. I guess this unknown/unconfirmed facts make many of us wonder, whether this case was perhaps overblown due to a bit sensationalistic media reporting, that didn't adequately provide all the available facts.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:48 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What happened to my response Fif? Did you delete it? It's no where to be found.

I did. You responded to mtrot with the same kind of thing that I asked him not to do.

(08-26-2020, 05:50 PM)omahen Wrote: Sorry, but you are a bit impartial here, a bit of using your admin position to provide your take on the subject. This is only one of possible interpretations as a lot of other stuff was alegedly happening before that specific thing described. Knives, tazers used with no effect, gun threats from the victim and similar were mentioned. So it is very unfair at this point to say this was just a walk to a car. I guess this unknown/unconfirmed facts make many of us wonder, whether this case was perhaps overblown due to a bit sensationalistic media reporting, that didn't adequately provide all the available facts.

Fair enough. My bad.
Like Reply
My take is, that the moral authorities such as NBA players should act as such and not just jump after each sensationalistic media news, because maybe, just maybe, not everything is true or happened just as it was pictured. This is all I would like. To get all the facts before making drastic allegations that have very widespread consequences
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:50 PM)omahen Wrote: Of course I can also write a letter or even try to make a call. But the official can't do anything other than what I said. So basically pointless to write a letter or give a call.

In the U.S. some think it's pointless to call and write our officials, some don't. But it's a fact that calling and writing our officials is part of who we are.
Like Reply