Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
Horford, Dragic, Batum - let's get some old guys and win some playoff games!
Like Reply
I know people don't like Smart but what do you think of Nesmith being part of the package? He looks pretty good. Celtics ha e too many guards and forwards.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 04:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Stole this from @"StrandedOnBeauboisHill"....Vegas Odds for KP trade destinations:

Boston +200
Golden State +225
OKC +300
Orlando +400
Washington +500
Chicago +600

Here are the assets and trade matching salaries I have my eyes on from each of those teams to try and build a trade with...

BOSTON
Smart
Fournier (sign and trade)
RWIII
Nesmith
#16 pick

GOLDEN STATE
Wiggins
Wiseman
#6 pick

OKC
Horford
#4 pick
#18 pick
future picks

ORLANDO
Harris
Hampton
#3 pick
#8 pick

WASHINGTON
Bertans
Bryant
Advija
Rui
#15 pick

CHICAGO
Vucevic
Satoransky
Markkanen (sign and trade)
P Williams 
future picks

If even three of these teams are interested I feel good about the Mavs position to get something SOLID for KP.

we'll be lucky to get a brisket sandwich in return for kp
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 05:52 PM)J0n Wrote: we'll be lucky to get a brisket sandwich in return for kp

Come on, pal...not even a chicken sammich? He's worth that, at least.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 04:32 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: lol ok mr vegas

A team that just publicly told everyone they're going to rebuild is going to trade for a max player....RIGHT.  I forgot rebuilding teams LOVE to trade away top 10 draft picks too.

[Image: tenor.gif]

Porzingis is 26 years old. Why would he be on the same timeline as Luka (22) in Dallas, but far removed from Fultz (23), Isaac (23), WCJ (22), Okeke (22), Anthony (21), Hampton (20), and assuming Bamba (23) would go the other way.

The difference is Porzingis would be the clear cut #1 option in Orlando and have a defensive presence next to him at all times (WCJ/Isaac). He can be the veteran leader of the team, if that is one of his goals. Something Porzingis might have thought was possible in Dallas, when he was traded to the Mavs. Only to quickly find out that Luka is LeJordan.

I think the list is a pretty accurate reflection of win now teams (Golden State, Boston, Washington), the nuclear wasteland for bad contracts (OKC), the explained middle ground (Orlando) and a "longshot" (Bulls), because of Markkanen or/and Duffy´s clients (Vucevic/Lavine).

Also worth remembering that bookmakers want you to bet (has to be realistic enough for action), but they also want you to lose (therefore not as likely as it might appear). Besides the odds being shitty in these markets in general. So maybe it´s worth looking at some of the glaring omissions like Sacramento, Cleveland or Charlotte.
Like Reply
I see things are going well here.
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:05 PM)robillionaire Wrote: I see things are going well here.

Heart U

What happened to KP, pal?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/stat...95107?s=21
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 04:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: OKC is in a tight position:

1) They need to try to turn Horford's salary spot into something else.
2) They have SO many assets that they need to consolidate them so they don't go to waste.

KP offers them the opportunity to replace Horford's old man dead money with a young prospect they can rehabilitate into greater value and flip later. I think OKC would be able to increase KP's future trade value a lot by featuring him with their other young players. OKC also cannot possibly sign all of their first round picks every year, so in order to keep those from losing all value they need to bring some of them together into a single asset. Hence KP comes into play.
PokuZingis  - Island of Dr. Moreau
Like Reply
So thinking ab this more Myles Turner is a really good, sensible target for the Mavs - young, shoots outside, very good defender. His contract isn't bad in that there's only 2 years even if he is perhaps overpaid on a yearly basis. 

There isn't a direct path from KP to Turner but I think trading with one of these other teams will give you pieces that Indy wants. For a while I have thought Maxi would be a good Turner replacement and cheaper. As much as we like Turner, he has been a bit of a disappointment for Pacers and has been an awkward fit with Sabonis. In my view it makes more sense to move Turner than Sabonis if you are breaking up that twosome.

Bertans is another option that could be traded for Turner. There are different combinations where Dallas ends up with Turner plus a piece or two leftover. Those could be kept or flipped for other things. If Mavs are able to use cap space I'd love to get Dragic and Batum in here somehow.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 06:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So thinking ab this more Myles Turner is a really good, sensible target for the Mavs - young, shoots outside, very good defender. His contract isn't bad in that there's only 2 years even if he is perhaps overpaid on a yearly basis. 

There isn't a direct path from KP to Turner but I think trading with one of these other teams will give you pieces that Indy wants. For a while I have thought Maxi would be a good Turner replacement and cheaper. As much as we like Turner, he has been a bit of a disappointment for Pacers and has been an awkward fit with Sabonis. In my view it makes more sense to move Turner than Sabonis if you are breaking up that twosome.

Bertans is another option that could be traded for Turner. There are different combinations where Dallas ends up with Turner plus a piece or two leftover. Those could be kept or flipped for other things. If Mavs are able to use cap space I'd love to get Dragic and Batum in here somehow.

I like that post, but that last sentence. It cracks me up every time. Now you all want to sign Batum. LOL. The shit I got, when suggesting, we should have traded Powell for Batum´s expiring contract, when Jordan tried to avoid the Batum buyout, so they could sign Hayward. Probably could have gotten an asset on top, too.

Everybody was like he´s the worst and he´s done. You can´t do that. We´ll be so much worse with Batum next year. We can´t afford to lose Powell right now.

1st round series:

Batum 7 games played on the winner: 32.1 MPG
Powell 7 games played on the loser: 7.4 MPG

Also Dragic is 35 years old for crying out loud. If he was Slovakian nobody would even consider signing him.
Like Reply
There is no KP dilemma. It's pretty black & white if you ask me. 

KP is a unicorn at center in today's NBA. He's not a unicorn at forward. At forward, he's just a shooter who can't defend the perimeter and I can list two dozen guys I'd rather start than KP at PF. 

Unfortunately, he was utterly unplayable at center in the playoffs. 

If the coaching staff believes they can work with him in the offseason to regain enough athleticism, strength & mobility to defend as a center, then you obviously keep KP. 

On the other hand, if KP can't play center, you deal him for a forward and move on with a more traditional big. 

Personally, I'd prefer the second option. If Luke can score 46 with BOBAN at center I think that puts to rest the theory that he needs someone to spread the floor for him. The fact is Luka is devastatingly good next to a traditional beefy center who sets screens, defends the rim and catches lobs. So why do we need to trick it up with a injury prone unicorn? 

My ideal solution would be to deal KP for Siakam and then sign a couple big dirty work vets ... a Holmes, Ibaka or even Whiteside, or maybe deal for Horford to play center. Tough, physical, set screens, offensive rebound and lets roll.
Like Reply
I had a lot of fake trades involving Batum for Powell if I recall correctly.

As far as Dragic goes I just think there's only so much you can do in one offseason. I think Dragic is a good fit for a 6th man, spot starter type role.

I am still not off the Marcus Smart bandwagon. Watch highlights of some of his dimes, he is a good passer. On defense he is going to be able to ruin some guys days. Smart is a guy that can play some with and without Luka. He might be a guy that can run the offense at the end of the first when Luka rests.

Not sure if there is a path to Smart and Turner but if there is, that's two guys I am interested in. I still have Dragic on my radar because of obvious fit and he will be available for less money.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 07:17 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: KP is a unicorn at center in today's NBA. He's not a unicorn at forward. At forward, he's just a shooter who can't defend the perimeter and I can list two dozen guys I'd rather start than KP at PF. 

Unfortunately, he was utterly unplayable at center in the playoffs. 

Bless you, sir.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 07:17 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Personally, I'd prefer the second option. If Luke can score 46 with BOBAN at center I think that puts to rest the theory that he needs someone to spread the floor for him. The fact is Luka is devastatingly good next to a traditional beefy center who sets screens, defends the rim and catches lobs. So why do we need to trick it up with a injury prone unicorn? 

My ideal solution would be to deal KP for Siakam and then sign a couple big dirty work vets ... a Holmes, Ibaka or even Whiteside, or maybe deal for Horford to play center. Tough, physical, set screens, offensive rebound and lets roll.

Ibaka could be an option for sure, Mavs liked him last year and he won't cost a lot. I like Horford as well but we would need to send some salary back to OKC (Rich, Powell for example). Holmes would be great but I think Mavs are going to prioritize playmaking before center and Holmes is going to be pricey. Whiteside is not a character guy Mavs like.

Steven Adams also I think would be a good get if you are sending back salary (again Rich, Powell are candidates there). Adams doesn't fit next to Zion. Pels need to play fast and spread you out. Adams would work really well on the Mavs who play a deliberately slower pace.

Adams contract is pretty reasonable 17 x 2, you would even shave off some money if you sent back Powell and J Rich.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEeOBfeBmiQ&t=210s

I really like Tim Legler. He really stands out against the usual player trolls they employ.
Like Reply
If you could wind up with Adams, Dragic, Batum as good veteran pieces (assuming KP, likely additional players exit) + THJ then you could have something like

Luka
THJ
DFS
Batum
Adams
Dragic

Adams and Batum allow you to play big or play small. Brunson is a guy Mavs need to decide whether to keep or not. I think he is eligible for a 4/54 extension. If he turns that down I would trade him rather than risk losing him for nothing. He could fetch another piece that would be playable in a tough playoff series. I love Brunson but these long athletic defenders give him trouble and he doesn't know how to pass the ball.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 07:21 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I had a lot of fake trades involving Batum for Powell if I recall correctly.

As far as Dragic goes I just think there's only so much you can do in one offseason. I think Dragic is a good fit for a 6th man, spot starter type role.

I am still not off the Marcus Smart bandwagon. Watch highlights of some of his dimes, he is a good passer. On defense he is going to be able to ruin some guys days. Smart is a guy that can play some with and without Luka. He might be a guy that can run the offense at the end of the first when Luka rests.

Not sure if there is a path to Smart and Turner but if there is, that's two guys I am interested in. I still have Dragic on my radar because of obvious fit and he will be available for less money.

Signing Dragic is exactly the kind of useless short-term move that the Mavs have done for the last decade. What is the purpose behind paying 35 year old Dargic 20-25 MPG on a team not ready to win a championship? This franchise needs a cohesive long-term strategy, but I guess what I´m asking is way beyond the abilities of the people in charge.

Just four months ago the Mavs gave up a second pick for

1) a 37 year old with a chronic injury that told them he did not want to play here.
2) a player that they did not want themselves.

At least Cuban is making history. Never before has a team paid a 2nd round pick for the right to add a player they don´t want.

Can you imagine how dumb that makes you look around the circle of players and their agents. Then Cuban cannot understand why no superstar would hitch himself to that in free agency.
Like Reply
@"Mavs2021" why are you making up stuff? Dragic is not 37 and if he signs with Dallas then that means he would want to be here which negates your other point. I think Dragic could be had on a value deal and would not be the centerpiece move of the off-season. I am sure he would have been more useful than Brunson these playoffs. I picture Dragic in a JJB like role.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 08:05 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"Mavs2021" why are you making up stuff? Dragic is not 37 and if he signs with Dallas then that means he would want to be here which negates your other point. I think Dragic could be had on a value deal and would not be the centerpiece move of the off-season. I am sure he would have been more useful than Brunson these playoffs. I picture Dragic in a JJB like role.

Read again.
Like Reply