Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
(05-11-2021, 04:27 AM)F Gump Wrote: Thanks for posting that. My impression from watching the actual video is that his intent was way less passive-aggressive than some of the selected quotes as reported made it sound. In particular the last question about positions, rather than being frustrated or resigned over what "position" he is playing, it sounded more in live stream that he's just taking it as it comes with the expectation that he can play with DP, or whoever, and he thinks they can make it work well.

I tend to agree.  I'm less interested in the throw-away line (it is what it is) and more interested in trying to read him when he says "we try to make it work" and "I hope I'll have my opportunities within the O".  On more than one occasion Tim Cato has passionately defended KP as a smart, brutally honest, introspective interview (my paraphrasing).  He will tell you exactly what the intent of a play was and why it worked or didn't.  I've definitely seen some passive-aggressive body language this season.  But, I didn't hear it in the answers in that interview.  I read the slight delay and stammering as he started to answer as more of a "here we go again" because almost anything he says...that is honest...is going to get picked apart.  

I went back and watched KP's shots in the three games where KP and Powell started.  Of course, KP and Powell aren't sharing the court for 30 minutes.  There are KP/Maxi minutes and KP/WCS minutes and KP/DFS at PF minutes too.  There are also lineups where Powell can be effective while KP is sitting.  Something I noticed in 37 shot attempts is VERY FEW of them came off passes from Luka.  It is mainly secondary action when Powell is in the game where KP and JRich or KP and THJ are running some version of a side PnR or post up action.  The assists from Luka came in early offense flow type Pick and Pops.  Otherwise, there looked to be only one set play where Powell pinned KP's man and he flashed to the FT line and got a pass from Luka that came out of the halftime break.  

I think playing "center" is an almost meaningless designation on D.  KP is going to pick up the guy that it makes the most sense for him to guard.  But, on "O", the term does have meaning and the "center" is involved more often in the primary action with Luka.  The "PF" goes to the corner and then gets involved in certain sets or as an alternative when the primary action breaks down.  I believe the issue for KP at PF is the opportunity set with the starters on the floor is limited if one of those starters is Powell or WCS.  I'm tempted to say "so what".  Any action that comes from Luka running the PnR with Powell or WCS is incredibly efficient.  I'll also note that JRich gets more floor time with KP than any other player.  Last year KP/Curry minutes were a +9 and this year KP/JRich minutes are +2.5.  I don't think the issue is playmaking.  I think it is JRich's lack of a consistent 3 point shot allows too much defensive pressure on KP.  BTW, last season when Powell, KP and Curry were on the floor, the team was +21.  But last year almost all KP/Powell lineups were incredibly positive.

If Powell and WCS are playing well, it is hard to justify 100% of KP's minutes at Center.  IF you are going to do that, then you need a better version of Maxi/Nelli/DFS at PF next to him.  You probably also need next year's version of JRich to be an outside shooter (and defender and secondary playmaker).  But, we all know that already.  Given where we are, I think it might be easier to figure out how to get more action between Luka and KP when a non-shooter like Powell or WCS is on the floor with KP.  Lots of other teams do this with a rim running center and it doesn't kill the opportunity set for their PF.  I really don't believe the issue is KP not wanting to play "PF".  It is the idea that in this offense the opportunity to contribute is somewhat limited.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 10-11-2019, 04:46 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 12-03-2019, 11:47 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-04-2019, 08:10 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by J0n - 12-10-2019, 01:51 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-08-2019, 02:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-08-2019, 03:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-12-2019, 11:52 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-12-2020, 11:29 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 01-26-2021, 12:51 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 01-28-2021, 03:23 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by RDB - 02-11-2021, 12:48 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by RDB - 02-11-2021, 02:05 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 07:24 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 07:46 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 08:07 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by MFFL - 02-22-2021, 11:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-23-2021, 12:24 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 04:27 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - by DanSchwartzgan - 05-11-2021, 07:40 AM