Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
(05-09-2021, 03:14 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Lots of good thoughts...a few responses:

Coasting, especially on D?  Yeah, that is certainly a possibility.

Need to see this team in a playoff atmosphere before jumping to conclusions?  Yeah, absolutely.  

TiTY's Suggestion of inserting Josh Green as a starter next season.  This is part of what it might take to make KP and Luka work defensively.  The most striking numbers that I wrote (to me) were the 20-1 result when KP is net neutral or net positive and how bad the Luka/KP pairing are at PnR defense.  IF (pauses for emphasis), IF KP is to be kept, we have to figure out how to more consistently get positive on-court games out of KP and fixing the PnR D is probably the key.

S-Hero:  Thanks for the compliment.  I think there is an approach to this that wouldn't require a guy at the level you are suggesting.  But everyone, 2-9 has to be of a certain quality.  In some ways adding that 1A or #2 guy makes improving 7-9 more difficult.

Kamm:  I liked your line about replacing KP's salary with "consistent positive to neutral play".  That is kind of what I'm saying above to S-Hero.  What I'm not convinced of is that we can't get more consistent positive to neutral play by improving the cast of players around KP and their fit with him.  20 and one the half of the time he's positive or neutral is substantial.  Can you wipe out a big chunk of the bad games by keeping Maxi (and a second Maxi-like player) on the floor with KP at all times?  Does more PT with Green help?   

I don't think I helped myself.  If the team moved on from KP with what I thought were the "right" moves, I could support that.  I'd say to myself that PnR D with Luka is too much to overcome.  If the team kept KP and made what I thought were the "right" move to fill in around him, I could support that too.  I'd say to myself the upside was just too great to give up on Luka and KP as a duo just yet.

I see this brought up a lot.  I saw with my own eyes Chris Paul abuse KP in the pick and roll...Im sure other guards can do it as well.   Assuming KP was trying his hardest on D.

How big of a problem is this?  I dont work in a front office.   I have heard that the PNR is the big thing in basketball these days...so you have to be able to defend it if true.    Is 30M for a front court player who cant defend the PNR a recipe for moving on from said player?  I dont know.   Do the positive things KP does outweigh questionable PNR defense?   I dont know.

I guess I need to see him in the playoffs again to get a better understanding.   

Seems like the PNR defense is a big deal.   I just want to see the player in a seriously competitive atmosphere before I give a final evaluation.   I dont know if he is coasting in a cruise gear or not.   Of course...I am basing all this off the ASSUMPTION every player plays his hardest in the Playoffs.  I assume KP will the trying harder and I assume the opponents will be trying their hardest.   Its not rigorous scientific fact that KP or our opponents will play at their best in playoffs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 10-11-2019, 04:46 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 12-03-2019, 11:47 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-04-2019, 08:10 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by J0n - 12-10-2019, 01:51 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-08-2019, 02:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-08-2019, 03:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-12-2019, 11:52 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-12-2020, 11:29 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 01-26-2021, 12:51 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 01-28-2021, 03:23 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by RDB - 02-11-2021, 12:48 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by RDB - 02-11-2021, 02:05 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 07:24 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 07:46 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 08:07 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by MFFL - 02-22-2021, 11:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-23-2021, 12:24 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 04:27 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - by dynamicalVoid - 05-09-2021, 04:34 PM