Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
(09-20-2020, 10:24 AM)Dundalis Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 02:53 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 02:39 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So yeah I´d do trades like Lavine/WCJ, Capela/Hunter/Reddish, Vucevic/Bamba/Aminu in a heartbeat, because it becomes much easier and predictable from there.

So you basically want to do what Philly did by signing Horford. And look how great it was for them.

Mavs knew perfectly well what KP is and they will live with that. We can only hope that risk pays off and KP stays healthy.

The thing is, it wasn't that much of a risk. The most valuable assets in the deal were the two firsts, and even back then it was pretty clear Luka was going to almost single handedly make those draft picks not so valuable. I know some people still had faith in DSJ, but I'd already had a pretty good idea of what his ceiling was going to be by the time of the trade. There is no way you get a stable superstar for what little they gave up. It was pure luck to be able to have that situation arise. I said at the time, even if KP doesn't work out, the risk would be worth it, because the chances of Dallas getting even one superstar much less two before the 2018 draft given the lack of assets we had and the unlucky draft position were so minimal it's not funny. This franchise was looking at a decade of literal bottom feeding. So the risk was always worth it no matter the outcome, because apart from the draft picks, the other assets in the trade weren't likely going to turn into a better player coming back in a trade.

My belief however is that it should still be looked at as an asset business. The idea that KP is untradeable is stupid, because it's not rational. He absolutely should be tradeable. The reason Luka isn't tradeable, is because there probably isn't a more valuable player in the entire NBA (or the margins are so thin as to not be worth it). That's not the case with KP. As has already been mentioned, we constantly make silly decisions by overvaluing our own players, with the contract Powell got a prime recent example. If you can acquire a more valuable asset or collection of assets than Porzingis, then you would be negligent to not seriously look at it. And by more valuable, that could in fact mean a slightly inferior talent, but whom has proven more consistent both in production and availability while also being a good fit with the team. 

I might also trade him for a package of quality players depending on age and skill profile. i.e. As a hypothetical, I'd probably trade him in a package for say Myles Turner and Brogdan. You might not get an individual with a ceiling as high as KP, but I just like the package better. We are an asset barren team with lot's of older role players around our two stars. We can't afford to be stingy when the simple fact of the matter is, Luka is our core, KP at 25 has never had one genuinely elite season (not even his all star season), he's really still potential and what we "hope" can be the core with Luka. He's really our only truly valuable trade piece, and there's simply no reason to be "stuck" with the hope he fulfills his potential without the injury issues getting in the way if the opportunity arises to turn him into something better or more reliable.

Who gives the best player in a deal normally loses the trade. Of course there are lose-lose trades and amounts of picks could change this view.

But Quality>Quantity. 

I also can't see a better fit in playing style and personality with Luka in the league.

If the docs tell you he won't stay healty than sure.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 10-11-2019, 04:46 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 12-03-2019, 11:47 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-04-2019, 08:10 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by J0n - 12-10-2019, 01:51 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-08-2019, 02:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-08-2019, 03:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by Jym - 12-12-2019, 11:52 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-12-2020, 11:29 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis (out w/ right lateral meniscus tear) - by Mapka - 09-20-2020, 10:51 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 01-26-2021, 12:51 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 01-28-2021, 03:23 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by RDB - 02-11-2021, 12:48 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by RDB - 02-11-2021, 02:05 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 07:24 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 07:46 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by loki - 02-15-2021, 08:07 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by MFFL - 02-22-2021, 11:55 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-23-2021, 12:24 AM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 03:52 PM
RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - by cow - 02-26-2021, 04:27 PM