Poll: With the current injuries, defensive struggles, and rumors swirling what would you do with KP?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hold on to him! --- This will pass and he will be an elite player once he can get in game shape and put these unlucky injuries behind him.
47.69%
31 47.69%
Trade him this deadline in March! --- His value is possibly at the highest it will be and the Mavs need to get whatever they can in return for him.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Give him the rest of the season, then trade him this summer! --- Let KP get back and play himself back into shape/health and increase his trade value, but then move him this summer because clearly he is not the right fit next to Luka and with RC.
24.62%
16 24.62%
Something else....post below.
13.85%
9 13.85%
Total 65 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS
And suddenly the first was never on the table. As expected. A lot of outrage over nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 07:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would have preferred the Raptors trade although I would have been worried to see KP there under their leadership.  Even if the package was Dragic, filler and a protected first.   I would have preferred that package.  So it is good to know this wasn't a decision the Mavs had to make, supposedly.  

Although in reality waiting may have been the best route.  I wonder if the Mavs were walking on egg shells scared crazy that he was such an injury risk that they couldn't wait to move him.  Or if they just decided, yes he is injured a lot but we don't view him as a fit here.  Or maybe it was both.

It will be interesting if he can stay healthy to finish the season.  If not, there may not have been any offers.  If he can, you can make a case a better deal would have been available this offseason.   

The Mavs will also be judged on the players they picked up too.   

It should be interesting to re-visit this trade in 4-5 months.

Agree on both points:

1) the raptors deal would have been much better - it would have provided immediate financial relief as well as ADDED an asset rather than, well, the opposite

2) the only thing that really makes sense in the deal that was done is that the Mavs hit the big red panic button and decided that this was their last chance to get out of KPs deal
Like Reply
You know as disappointed as I am with what KP did here and as much as I hate the trade to get out of it, I’d still do it all again - 10 times out of 10.  You rarely get the chance to add a super star.  The risk of his injury was known and I didn’t pan out, but it was an acceptable risk given the upside.
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • Arioch, Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And suddenly the first was never on the table. As expected. A lot of outrage over nothing.
Backing out means there was a deal on the table at some point that we didn’t accept right away. The first could have been on the table at the beginning of the season and we didn’t take it.
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 07:52 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Backing out means there was a deal on the table at some point that we didn’t accept right away. The first could have been on the table at the beginning of the season and we didn’t take it.

Not necessarily, terms could be negotiated without a signature on the dotted line.  We don’t know it was the Mavs waiting.  Maybe the raptors said “let us think about it, we’re concerned about his health”.  Maybe the Mavs sent over the Dr eval of his knee.  Maybe they said “this looks good. Let’s sleep on it and see what happens with harden/Simmons”.  

Stuff like this happens all the time in business. I’ve had loose structures of deals lined up that have fallen apart at the last minute for one reason or another.
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • F Gump, Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 07:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And suddenly the first was never on the table. As expected. A lot of outrage over nothing.

You can fill in the blanks to this story to fit either side of the narrative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 08:00 PM)cow Wrote: You can fill in the blanks to this story to fit either side of the narrative.
This
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 07:52 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Backing out means there was a deal on the table at some point that we didn’t accept right away. The first could have been on the table at the beginning of the season and we didn’t take it.

Or it could mean that the teams were still negotiating the complexities of those matching salaries that everyone keeps ignoring when Toronto decided to pull out.

Or that both sides had reached an agreement 'in principle' on the contents and Ujiri said, okay, let me think about that for an hour and changed his mind while he was eating dinner.
[-] The following 2 users Like Arioch's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 08:00 PM)cow Wrote: You can fill in the blanks to this story to fit either side of the narrative.
This
Like Reply
(02-13-2022, 07:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CElguea/status/1493003014675828738

I want someone to summarize the article!!!! Please????

[Image: puppy-dog-eyes-despicable-me.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, Kammrath
Like Reply
It´s crazy that even I as the big bad KP hater on this board didn´t think that his value was as bad as it apparently is. I suggested things like KP for Wiggins straight up over a year ago and no one on this board thought that was a good deal.
I think a few of us suggested benching KP in the last playoffs and it seems like the Mavs thought about it. Wonder if that would have made a difference but even more I wonder how the Mavs situation would look if they had traded him at the deadline last year or at least in the offseason.

What can we learn from this. Availability and health are very important. If we aren´t talking about a top 10 player like KD or Kawhi teams aren´t willing to invest into players with big health question marks.
Hype and potential alone will only last for so long. People around the league expected improvement. Just like the Mavs. They didn´t trade for the player that he was a few years ago and still is. They traded for the player that they hoped he could be. At some point being the unicorn wasn´t enough. He is 26 and basically hasn´t improved any aspect of his game since he entered the league.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • audiosway, ItsGoTime, Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-14-2022, 11:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: What can we learn from this. Availability and health are very important. If we aren´t talking about a top 10 player like KD or Kawhi teams aren´t willing to invest into players with big health question marks.

And, even setting trade value aside, you can't have a non-superstar max player who's oft injured like that on your team. KD and Kawhi are very clearly huuuuuuge difference makers when they play, and I bet even their teams get pretty frustrated building around them. 

KP is not even a star, let alone a superstar. It was just an untenable situation. I'm not even sure that's subjective, at this point. 

Totally agree that it's shocking to learn just how low his value really was/is.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/RonBohning/status/14...5859075073
Like Reply
(02-16-2022, 09:23 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/RonBohning/status/14...5859075073

Wizards fans once they realize that October counts as "after the All-Star break".

[Image: 09eff273b9e2aac7396ccf4b6102106e.jpeg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
Didn't say which year's all star break either.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, MFFL, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-16-2022, 10:16 PM)Tyler Wrote: Wizards fans once they realize that October counts as "after the All-Star break".

[Image: 09eff273b9e2aac7396ccf4b6102106e.jpeg]

Lol. This.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
KP appeared in 134 regular season and 10 playoff games for the Mavs. 144 total. Is he going to reach that number for the Wizards? 25 games remaining this season. Two additonal years under contract (including the player option).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-17-2022, 12:50 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: KP appeared in 134 regular season and 10 playoff games for the Mavs. 144 total. Is he going to reach that number for the Wizards? 25 games remaining this season. Two additonal years under contract (including the player option).

Is it only me, or is that number higher than what i thought it was?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1496656465498677249
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KillaKuzma/status/14...4852227077

https://twitter.com/RichieReach/status/1...9734951942

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply