Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 131, Trailblazers 134
(08-12-2020, 01:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:39 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Unless the MBT pulls some serious rabbits out of hats this summer and presuming the health of both teams, Phoenix will be higher in the standings at the end of 2020-21.

I am ALL in for this friendly wager. 
In with you Kamm...I remember a section of the fan base claiming that Phoenix was gonna be better this season also...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 01:24 PM)MrGoat Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 01:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 12:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I guess in hindsight the wine and dine with KP at the start of FA was a terrible decision...no need to make a Unicorn feel like Dallas is the best choice to sign with in FA especially since they were not on his list of teams when he demanded a trade last year...

What is more important for an allstar caliber free agent? Wine and dine or a good supporting cast. I think KP would have prefered Kemba Walker or even Beverley/Green over a diner invitation.

I still maintain that Brogdon should have been the target. Not the defensive liability Kemba is and would have taken enough of the tremendous offensive burden Luka and KP shoulder off that it might have gotten Luka in particular to do a little more on defense

I just listed the free agents that were linked to the Mavs at that time. I wasn´t as high on Walker as others. Personally I will never get over the possible Heat trade.
Everyone and their mother expected the Mavs to make an offer for Dragic but instead they decide to go for Olynyk and Jones Jr. Heat say the trade included Dragic. Mavs say it was always about the mentioned duo. Entering free agency with max caspace and walking away with those two would have been even worse than the current situation. Mavs dodged a bullet when the trade fell apart.
I liked the contract extensions for Kleber and DFS. Wasn´t a fan of Powells contract but he was a clear net positive during the season and no one could have predicted his injury. Curry was a good signing. Delon was a desperation move. Mavs missed the opportunity to sign better 3&D wings and had to sign someone.

The biggest mistake was not using the remaining 10-12 mio in caspace to either sign a player like Aminu or trade for a player like Iggy. Trade exceptions are useless. Obviously easy to say because it isn´t my money but I would always go for it as long as it doesn´t push the team in the luxury tax.
To sum it up. The first few days of free agency where among the worst in Mavs history. On par with the DAJ drama. But at least the Mavs recovered and added some useful players.

I guess we can slowly get ready for this years free agency drama but it won´t be as interesting. No capspace and no big names available.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 02:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But at least the Mavs recovered and added some useful players.

One (Curry), to be exact Smile  They basically use Bobi as a mascot and Wright was a fail.
Like Reply
Two minutes report is out - calls against Burke and Kristaps were correct, they say.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 03:02 PM)omahen Wrote: They basically use Bobi as a mascot

Will never understand it and would love to hear and explanation from Donnie and RC.  Guaranteed 2yrs/7mio for a player that isn´t even the the backup center. I love Bobi and want to keep him but the MBT has to explain why they payed more than the vet min for a player that isn´t even part of the regular rotation.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 02:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: No capspace and no big names available.

We don't need big names. Although it will be interesting to see what will the Pelicans do after their mini bubble disaster. Do they still cling to Jrue or try to get another load of picks. 

I hope Cuban is willing to spend. 5 million cash could bring something this offseason. Perhaps trade up in draft, perhaps to take a not so great contract like Young for example. Too bad we don't have cap space or more expiring contracts. But, we can always count on Kings and some other teams to do something stupid. Hield (for THJ) would be lights out for us and his defense is on par with THJ. Phoenix needs to shed more salary to sign a twentish per guy like Gallo in FA - can we get in a three team for Oubre?
Like Reply
Regarding the refereeing report, they're still wrong. Trent grabs Prozingis around the waist before he otherwise makes the contact with Trent. Simply ridiculous, and criminal, really. They're lying.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 03:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Regarding the refereeing report, they're still wrong. Trent grabs Prozingis around the waist before he otherwise makes the contact with Trent. Simply ridiculous, and criminal, really. They're lying.

I just rewatched the incident and the refs are just ridiculus. If that is an offensive foul, than absolutely every post up is an offensive foul. Just stupid they cover for their mistakes like that. It should be either nothing or a defensive foul.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 02:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I guess we can slowly get ready for this years free agency drama but it won´t be as interesting. No capspace and no big names available.

I would be disappointed in the Mavs if they didn't learn from last offseason that no capspace is immaterial.

Regarding last offseason, I'm not sure whether to chalk up the Mavs' cataclysmic failure to 1) a mistaken conception of how to build around Luka and KP, including a badly overinflated view of what they already had, 2) the failure to understand that 100% of the other teams, player agents, and free agents were going to tamper and that the league would give no effs, or 3) that they understood the tampering, but just couldn't get anyone. I think it's actually a soft combination of all three of those. I do believe that, for whatever reason, Favors, Brogdon, Bogdanovich, and the other big names simply weren't interested in the Mavs in spite of the money they had, and figuring out why that was is key to success moving forward.

I think that the Mavs ought to have three goals this offseason:
1) add two starters while retaining our winning non-Luka/KP players who are on good deals (Maxi, DFS, and Curry).
2) divest of bad contracts or potentially bad future decisions (Wright, Powell, and THJ, while getting Justin out the door as well)
3) make sure all acquisitions are on easily tradeable contracts moving forward.

I get that doing all three of those is a tall order given the Mavs' cap/assets situation, but if they do that, they should be at once borderline contenders next year and major players for Giannis or whoever else they want in 2021.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 04:23 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 03:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Regarding the refereeing report, they're still wrong. Trent grabs Prozingis around the waist before he otherwise makes the contact with Trent. Simply ridiculous, and criminal, really. They're lying.

I just rewatched the incident and the refs are just ridiculus. If that is an offensive foul, than absolutely every post up is an offensive foul. Just stupid they cover for their mistakes like that. It should be either nothing or a defensive foul.
The ref that called Burke for an offensive foul was not looking when the incident was happening also...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 08:19 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not happy with the development here in the bubble. Take Phoenix for example. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they will leave full of optimism after their performances here. Future looks bright. Dallas? Not so sure - a lot of questions and they really need to nail the moves up to 2021/22 season. Let's not be delusional that this team has what it takes with a bit of internal development. Phoenix has cap space, Phoenix has good picks and Phoenix has assets like Oubre to move. Mavs don't have much reserve. 

I am assuming, Mavs goal was to move up in the standing. In that case, Mavs, to be honest, underperformed. Yes, they were close every game. But on the other hand, they basically lost every game that was really important. They didn't show the hunger and competitive spirit, heck, I haven't seen anything that would tell me they actually really, really want to win. That they are not satisfied just by participating. Mainly because the lack of effort on defensive side. They didn't get momentum by winning the first game, as they showed no effort on defense. Similar thing happened in game 2 against Phoenix. They managed to win against the below average Sacramento. Then game against shorthanded Clippers - a win would put Denver very close to number 2 spot. Mavs were overpowered. Game against not really motivated Milwaukeee didn't really count and Mavs shined. They also managed to win against Utah who tanked much harder than Mavs (Utah was much better as long as their regular rotation guys played). A brim of light appeared and Mavs were again short against Portland in a game that was important. I was just shocked how easy opportunities Lillard had basically every time he wanted. Portland showed much more on the defensive side, at least they defended well against Luka. 

I think getting one win against Clippers will be a huge "success" in the playoffs. That's why I would like the Mavs to take the game against Phoenix seriously and win.  I don't want them to play third unit and lose, only to be later swept by Clippers (winning one game against them is not really any better). I want them to show they can win a game that matters. Phoenix game is very important for Phoenix, it will be playoff like game. Mavs should show they are better than Phoenix when it matters and take a bit away from Phoenix optimism. Just to end bubble experience on a more positive note. Even if our exit against Clippers will be quick.

Of course, if everything here is just a careful preparation to kick Clippers butts in the first round, I will admit I don't know anything and stop being smart here Smile
Agree that the Mavs have not played well defensively, generally speaking. We knew that was a roster weakness before the bubble started, and it's getting exposed here. 

I don't think I agree that the W-L record in the seeding games is a reasonable basis for this degree of pessimism. It's hard to take much away from the end-of-season stretch, in this or any season. Results are always quirky, as different teams have different motivations than just winning every game going on. 

What I see, mainly, is a very young team that still has not learned how to close games. That's pretty standard for even the best young teams early in their incarnations. I think we can reasonably hope for substantial improvement in this respect at the end of next season. 

I also would like to see the team win at least one game against the Clippers, so that, as you say, they gain the confidence of knowing they can do it. But, it will not shock me if they get swept. This is their first time out of the gate. 

Standing back from the emotional peaks and valleys after each individual game, I like the Mavs' prospects. Luka and KP are improving before our eyes, and so are some of the role players. They still have a lot of work to do, including roster adjustments, but the building blocks are in place and looking good.
Like Reply
The pessimism in this thread is a bit shocking and confusing...

The Mavs are closer to the 2nd seed in games than the 8th seed Blazers is to Dallas.

Dallas by all accounts had a fantastic year, and have a top 5 player on a rookie contract and a top 20 player (with potential to grow) secured on a 5 year max. Future is bright in Dallas. They're a young team that is still learning. 

The supporting cast needs to get better, but not by much. 1 or 2 key upgrades and the Mavs are contenders. Going from lottery team in 2018 to a contender in 2 seasons is a meteoric rise and shouldn't be discounted
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 10:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The pessimism in this thread is a bit shocking and confusing...

The Mavs are closer to the 2nd seed in games than the 8th seed Blazers is to Dallas.

Dallas by all accounts had a fantastic year, and have a top 5 player on a rookie contract and a top 20 player (with potential to grow) secured on a 5 year max. Future is bright in Dallas. They're a young team that is still learning.

The supporting cast needs to get better, but not by much. 1 or 2 key upgrades and the Mavs are contenders. Going from lottery team in 2018 to a contender in 2 seasons is a meteoric rise and shouldn't be discounted

Come on, SH. We have two stars, two worthy candidates for 5th best starter on a playoff team, and a collection of bench players. They are the acquisition of both a 3rd and 4th-best player away from contention. That's a tall order with no cap room, low picks, and few tradeable players.
Like Reply
If they don't fix that P&R defense, they won't contend. They gave Liliard the red carpet treatment all game. You can't just out score people, you have to get stops. A lot of teams wish they had good or great 3&D wings on the perimeter such as the Clippers, or Celtics. Mavs are on the rise and are fun to watch. Just need to fix that defense.
Like Reply
Scott41theMavs, I hear your point but....the Mavs are a playoff team.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 11:05 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Scott41theMavs, I hear your point but....the Mavs are a playoff team.

Yes, but with Luka and KP, they should be perennial contenders. And the MBT shouldn't give them bench players to start next to them.

(08-12-2020, 01:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 11:39 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Unless the MBT pulls some serious rabbits out of hats this summer and presuming the health of both teams, Phoenix will be higher in the standings at the end of 2020-21.

I am ALL in for this friendly wager.

No wager! I don't bet against the Mavs.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 11:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: If they don't fix that P&R defense, they won't contend. They gave Liliard  the red carpet treatment all game. You can't just out score people, you have to get stops. A lot of teams wish they had good or great 3&D wings on the perimeter such as the Clippers, or Celtics.  Mavs are on the rise and are fun to watch.  Just need to fix that defense.
true, but looking at the minutes that Stotts played Lillard/McCollum, the Blazers treated the game like a playoff game in terms of minutes and Rick did not. Lillard/McCollum ~ 40 min. While Rick treated the game like a reg season game. Luka should have played 5 min more. DFS is prolly the best Lillard defender on the team, only with 30 min? We were missing like 5 guys (Curry, Brunson, Powell, Lee, WCS) and the bench is a total crapshot right now, and Rick decided to play his regular rotation. This isn't the beginning of the season anymore where the Bench was stacked. Maybe DFS was banged up, because he appeared on the injury report before. Otherwise not matching Lillard minutes with DFS is a joke. He also went +9 in the game, and only played 30 min.

The stint with Jackson, where the Mavs went "minus double digits" was the deciding factor between to equal teams.
Like Reply
(08-13-2020, 12:02 AM)sefant Wrote: looking at the minutes that Stotts played Lillard/McCollum, the Blazers treated the game like a playoff game in terms of minutes and Rick did not. Lillard/McCollum ~ 40 min. While Rick treated the game like a reg season game. Luka should have played 5 min more. DFS is prolly the best Lillard defender on the team, only with 30 min? We were missing like 5 guys (Curry, Brunson, Powell, Lee, WCS) and the bench is a total crapshot right now, and Rick decided to play his regular rotation. This isn't the beginning of the season anymore where the Bench was stacked. Maybe DFS was banged up, because he appeared on the injury report before. Otherwise not matching Lillard minutes with DFS is a joke. He also went +9 in the game, and only played 30 min
I think there is an important observation here, which is that the Blazers went all-in, which they had to do since they were fighting for survival. Whereas, the Mavs, if anything, went a little on the low side in terms of starter minutes. One can question whether that was the right decision, but it helps us understand where the team is coming from. From Rick's point of view, not wanting to risk getting his players exhausted/hurt in a contest that was essentially meaningless for them in terms of the standings. From some fans' POV, perhaps a missed opportunity to take the dreaded Suns down a peg.
Like Reply