Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 131, Trailblazers 134
Mavs, Blazers Wow in Shootout
Dallas Locks In Seventh Seed

It was an old-fashioned shoot-‘em-up in Orlando, and Dallas continued to sharpen their offensive game. 

Game Story

Seth was out again, with his right leg still sore. I continue to wonder about this. Hope he heals up. Trey Burke took his place in the starting lineup. 

The Mavericks started out brightly, pulling out to a 7-8 point lead and more or less maintaining it for nine minutes. Unfortunately, the Blazers went on a 15-0 run in the last three minutes, resulting in the Mavs’ being on the wrong side of a 31-38 scoreline after one. Dallas was running their offense through KP as long as he was in, to great effect. He showed great versatility, scoring from downtown, on oops, posting up, you name it. He also exhibited great synergy with Luka and Burke on the pick and roll. 

The second quarter featured pretty insipid shooting from both teams. The Mavs were 3-12 from deep, with the Blazers even worse at 2-12. Dame and Melo pounded Dallas from all quarters. Our boys had only 27 points in the period. Fortunately, Portland scored only 28. Our team went away from KP for some reason. He took only one shot in the frame, and missed it. The Blazers hammered the Mavericks inside, accumulating 38 points in the paint, to Dallas’ 20. Mavs 58, Portland 66 at halftime.

Dallas came out of the locker room looking more focused. They had some nice plays in the third period, including a Luka spin move on Dame, a nifty DFS drive and curl, and THJ posting up and drawing a foul. The team went back to KP, who had a 14-point quarter, to go with his 16-point frame in the first. The men from Texas came within three points of wiping out their deficit, going into the fourth trailing 95-98.

In the fourth, the Mavs rapidly caught up, gained a lead, and never trailed again until the last minute of the game. A crazy Lillard shot from downtown Orlando hit the rim, popped high up out of the TV frame and came down straight through the rim. Really? That tied the game, after a KP 3 had given the Mavericks an edge. KP fouled out on the next possession (offensive foul). 

Whiteside had a cutting dunk from Lillard. Blazers up two. Whiteside fouled Luka on the next play, and Luka split a pair of free throws. Blazers up one. After Lillard missed a jump shot, Dallas had a possession that ended up in the hands of DFS in the corner. He hit the three, but it was called off due to an offensive foul call on Burke away from the play. Hardaway then intentionally fouled CJ, who hit both of his free throws. Blazers up 3 with 4 seconds left. The Mavs took a timeout, then ran a play for THJ, who missed the three. Game Over. 

Analytics

The Blazers crushed the Mavs on the possession game, getting up a horrendous 17 more shots than Dallas. The Mavericks were -18 on points from twos, +15 on points from threes, and even-steven on made free throws. Our team missed 6 free throws in the fourth quarter — twice the margin of the game. I’m biting my tongue. 

The Blazers won the rebounding battle 48-37, and grabbed 12 offensive boards to the Mavs’ 5. Portland also had only 8 turnovers, whereas Dallas had 17, and gave up 18 points as a result. Some of these, I’m sorry to say, were just a result of sloppy play. The guys from the West Coast ended the day with a 15-point advantage in points in the paint. 

As one might suspect from the score, neither of these teams was playing a whole lot of defense. The Mavs had no answer for Damian Lillard, and indeed, it seemed to me that they were not going all out to even try. They trapped him a couple of times, and he passed out to Melo, who was also lights out. The Dallas defenders were not up to coping with Melo — he was too strong for Justin Jackson and DFS. Dame scored a career-high 61 points, and he and Anthony combined for 87. And they still barely won. Dang. 

Players

THJ (37 min) - Tim was scoring all over the place in this match, putting up 24 points — 6-11 FGAs, three threes, and 9-9 from the line. In the fourth quarter, he was the team’s high scorer with 9 points and hit all six of his free throws. He was at least attentive on defense, although he didn’t have the weight or strength to stop some of those big Blazers. Overall, I thought he contributed pretty much what he could be expected to. What more can we ask?

KP (36 min)  Porzingis was the best Mav on the floor, imho. He had 36 points on 12-17 shooting, and hit seven triples out of nine tries. He wasn’t just chucking. He scored in a wide variety of ways, and had the size and strength to hold his own against the Blazer bigs. It was too bad that he fouled out near the end. He was playing SO WELL. It seems like he grows in confidence with every game, and I like seeing him improve.

Luka (35 min) - Doncic neared another triple-double, with a 25-8-10 line, only seeming quiet in comparison to Dame. He may have been a little on the loose side with the ball, turning it over six times. But watching all his dashing moves was entertainment enough for the night. 

Burke (31 min) - Trey contributed 12 points on respectable shooting (4-9), but really sparkled as a playmaker, earning 9 assists and making numerous good finds. He had a shot over Dame, and another over Nurkic, and was part of several exciting highlight plays with KP.  I felt a little bad for him, getting called for the foul that took away the Mavs’ chance to go ahead at the last minute. He looks to be a good addition. 

DFS (30 min) - It was another fine night for Doe-Doe. He had 15 points on 6-8 shooting, including three treys. The development of a consistent offensive game by Finney-Smith could be huge for this team. He had some nice catch-and-shoots, but he wasn’t by any means just spotting up. He was cutting, driving, curling, making his defenders make some decisions. On the defensive side, I think he tends to get some assignments that probably aren’t quite realistic for him. He was not big enough or strong enough to defend Melo by himself, for example, and no one guards Dame one-on-one. Perhaps a better scheme could be devised, although this Blazer team has numerous shooters and scorers who can hurt you. 

Maxi (27 min) - Maxi also made an offensive contribution, with 12 points on 4-9 shooting. HIs threes were timely. That was encouraging. But he is asked to guard fours and fives that could be seen as setups for failure, and one wishes there could be a defensive scheme that doesn’t leave one man overmatched on an island.  It’s hard with these Blazers — you help on one and your own guy will make you pay. 

Wright (23 min) - Delon missed all of his shots and one of his free throws, but had one point to put on the board, and had 5 dimes to put in the piggy bank, along with a steal. He made a few moves that seemed to me like they were the right ones, but somehow it would go wrong at the end — instead of shooting, he would pass, or he would hesitate a little too long and lose his chance. I wonder if it something psychological with him. 

Justin Jackson got roasted trying to defend the stronger Melo. Boban had one shot, one rebound and a turnover in 7 minutes. The turnover was a bad one — a sloppy inbounds pass under his own basket, which the opponent grabbed and put in the bucket. Carlisle was not happy. MKG was subbed in for 7 min to defend Carmelo, and he had more success than some others at that task. He even earned an and-one at the basket, but missed the free throw.

Barea, Cleveland, and Reaves did not play - CD. 

BlazersDame laid a career-high 61 points on the Mavs. He got to the basket any time he felt like it, hit nine threes, and was 18-18 from the line. The Mavericks appeared to offer little resistance. Carlisle pondered the issue after the game, remarking that doubling Lillard just resulted in someone else torching them. More about that later.

Melo is not the selfish volume-chucker we used to see. In these enlightened days, he’s an intelligent sharpshooter who can destroy you before you even know it’s happening. He had 26 points (10-17 shooting), and also counted 8 rebounds and 2 steals in his line. 

Zach Collins bothered the Mavs, especially early, with 11 points and 8 boards. Gary Trent added 11 from the bench. 

Remarks

Rick had a bit of a resigned air at his post-game presser. He was a little disappointed in the first half, where he felt the offense was disjointed and stagnant.  In the third quarter, the team started moving better, defending better, and were able to make a run, getting back in it. The fourth was a tennis game, back and forth with neither team doing better or worse than the other. He thought that Dame’s super-long three that popped up into the skies and fell straight back through the rim was the backbreaker for the Mavs.  His boys gave themselves a chance till the end, and just came up a little short. 

Coach thought KP was just phenomenal on both sides of the court.  Aside from KP, the Mavericks just weren’t good defensively; He also felt his team was too inconsistent. He said they figured before the game that Dame would get around 15 threes (he actually hit 17), so he was not surprised by that. But he thought the Mavs absolutely could not be in the position of putting Dame on the line for 18 free throw attempts (of which he completed all 18). He thought allowing Lillard those free throws was the real difference in the game. 

I was curious how the Mavs would approach this match, as Portland was playing for their survival, and the Mavericks had the chance to keep a mathematical chance of moving up a seed alive with a win. Dame opined after the game that his team wanted it more, and it did look like that for stretches. 

My first comment is that you just can’t let someone go off on you for 61 points. Dame is a player who can do that sort of thing, but there has to be a way to get the ball out of his hands. If the other talented players beat you, then they do. It reminded me a lot of the Brandon Roy fourth quarter in the 2011 playoff series against Portland. Roy scored something like 23 points in the quarter, while Carlisle refused to double him, put a stronger defender on him, etc., and finally the Mavs, who had a 20+ point lead going into the fourth, lost. Carlisle admitted after the game that there were things they could have and should have done to stop Roy. I felt, in the same way, that they didn’t do the things they might have been able to do to rein Dame in, and it really got away from them. 

Another thing I noticed was the problems the shallowness of the roster leaves us. Seth, a starting player, was out, and Burke, a rotation member of the bench, took Seth’s place. That left putrid second units like Doncic, Wright, Jackson, Maxi, and Bobi, who just weren’t able to accomplish much. Maybe in the playoffs Rick will tighten the rotation up, and the lack of depth won’t be such a problem. 

The obvious issue staring us in the face is the Mavs’ woeful lack of defense. The Blazers were getting straight-line drives to the basket, open threes, easy shots all over the place. In fairness, the Mavericks were enjoying some of the same on the other end. Hopefully, the team can find some way in the summer to shore up their defense without subtracting from their offense. I thought I was watching summer league out there for a while. 

Not to be overly negative, though. Although the Mavs looked a bit listless for a while, they grew into the game and went toe-to-toe with Portland’s hot young team. The refs may have played a part in the result, although there is no point going into that. Their offense looks to be rounding into shape. 

Next. The team is locked into the 7th seed now. Their last regular-season game is against Phoenix on Thursday. The result will not affect the Mavericks’ standings, so we will see if they use the contest as a warm-up or choose to rest players. Hope to see you there!
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 04:00 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The obvious issue staring us in the face is the Mavs’ woeful lack of defense.

Considering PnR and transition defense I am affraid this is a system problem, and even better defenders will not help much. Mavs play basically zero help defense. There is no player in the world who could fight through Nurkic screen and still prevent Lillard from taking an open shot. Switching is also not an option. Center has to go up and help on the screen. Maxi is the only one trying to play help defense. 

Transition defense is mainly just lack of communication imho. Centers taking guards and guards guarding centers, leaving a player completely open and then 2 players trying to contest his shot.
Like Reply
For as much as I loved KP's offensive game, his defense was putrid. Lillard turned him into a liability on D the way I've never seen before. RC waited an eternity to realize that MKG could actually guard the Melo post-up. Very entertaining game. Blazers and Mavs' back and forth 3's at the end was amazing. Refs missed a couple calls on our favor. Mid 4Q was unwatchable with ghost fouls on both sides. Turnovers and rebounds decided the game. Rest everyone against PHO and prepare for the Clippers.
Like Reply
Bummed the Mavs lost.  Felt like someone placed their thumb on the scale for this one.
Like Reply
I am not happy with the development here in the bubble. Take Phoenix for example. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they will leave full of optimism after their performances here. Future looks bright. Dallas? Not so sure - a lot of questions and they really need to nail the moves up to 2021/22 season. Let's not be delusional that this team has what it takes with a bit of internal development. Phoenix has cap space, Phoenix has good picks and Phoenix has assets like Oubre to move. Mavs don't have much reserve. 

I am assuming, Mavs goal was to move up in the standing. In that case, Mavs, to be honest, underperformed. Yes, they were close every game. But on the other hand, they basically lost every game that was really important. They didn't show the hunger and competitive spirit, heck, I haven't seen anything that would tell me they actually really, really want to win. That they are not satisfied just by participating. Mainly because the lack of effort on defensive side. They didn't get momentum by winning the first game, as they showed no effort on defense. Similar thing happened in game 2 against Phoenix. They managed to win against the below average Sacramento. Then game against shorthanded Clippers - a win would put Denver very close to number 2 spot. Mavs were overpowered. Game against not really motivated Milwaukeee didn't really count and Mavs shined. They also managed to win against Utah who tanked much harder than Mavs (Utah was much better as long as their regular rotation guys played). A brim of light appeared and Mavs were again short against Portland in a game that was important. I was just shocked how easy opportunities Lillard had basically every time he wanted. Portland showed much more on the defensive side, at least they defended well against Luka. 

I think getting one win against Clippers will be a huge "success" in the playoffs. That's why I would like the Mavs to take the game against Phoenix seriously and win.  I don't want them to play third unit and lose, only to be later swept by Clippers (winning one game against them is not really any better). I want them to show they can win a game that matters. Phoenix game is very important for Phoenix, it will be playoff like game. Mavs should show they are better than Phoenix when it matters and take a bit away from Phoenix optimism. Just to end bubble experience on a more positive note. Even if our exit against Clippers will be quick.

Of course, if everything here is just a careful preparation to kick Clippers butts in the first round, I will admit I don't know anything and stop being smart here Smile
Like Reply
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme...urce=share&utm_medium=mweb
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 08:19 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not happy with the development here in the bubble. Take Phoenix for example. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they will leave full of optimism after their performances here. Future looks bright. Dallas? Not so sure

This is just an incredibly pessimistic take IMO. 

I would take Luka and KP over ANY player(s) on the whole PHX roster. The Mavs are in a MUCH more promising position as a franchise than PHX. Don't let a single hot streak fool you. 

And to Lillard carving up the Mavs....Lillard is 10 years older than Luka and for Lillard it is NOW or never. He is approaching the down turn of his career and body as he approaches 31 years of age and he isn't even guaranteed to make the playoffs this year (whereas 21 year old Luka is already guaranteed a spot)! I am not suggesting we should be content with the Mavs struggling to put things together in the bubble, but these struggles and failures are huge learning opportunities. 

The future in DAL is incredibly bright. The most important pieces are in place.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 04:23 AM)omahen Wrote: Transition defense is mainly just lack of communication imho. Centers taking guards and guards guarding centers, leaving a player completely open and then 2 players trying to contest his shot.

I wonder what changed compared to previous seasons. In the last few years RC focused on transition defense and did not care about offensive rebounding. Never having more than one player crashing the offensive glass. Dirk for example was always the first to get back on defense.

This year we have Doncic freelancing and going for the rebound nearly all the time. Same for DFS. Whoever plays at center will go for the rebound as well.
Having two undersized guards/wings(most of the time THJ and Curry) as the security blanket is not a good idea.
The trade off is not worth it. Yes the Mavs improved their rebounding and rank 10th in the league in ORR but they rank dead last in transition defense.
Like Reply
The ruling-upheld result to the Mavs' challenge on Porzingis's "offensive" "foul" was horsesh!t. Yeah, right, KP initiated the illegal contact. I guess he fouled Trent by placing the side of his gut in Trent's hand. 

If you're going to criminally uphold binarily wrong calls, why even have a challenge in the first place? I know we want Cuban to shut up, but this is one where he has to speak up.

(08-12-2020, 09:52 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:19 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not happy with the development here in the bubble. Take Phoenix for example. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they will leave full of optimism after their performances here. Future looks bright. Dallas? Not so sure

This is just an incredibly pessimistic take IMO.

I would take Luka and KP over ANY player(s) on the whole PHX roster. The Mavs are in a MUCH more promising position as a franchise than PHX. Don't let a single hot streak fool you.

Luka and KP are better than Booker and Ayton, but the remainder of Phoenix's roster absolutely slaughters the rest of Dallas's roster, and they have assets, picks, and cap room, of which Dallas has none due to an historically atrocious offseason last summer. Unless the MBT pulls some serious rabbits out of hats this summer and presuming the health of both teams, Phoenix will be higher in the standings at the end of 2020-21.
Like Reply
As much as Omahen makes some good points from the how things could go wrong point of view, I noticed his recognition at the end that he could be proved wrong in a very happy way. 

Though offensive rebounding does tend to be the opposite of transition defense, a disciplined team can be trained to do either one on the coaches command AND learn to wisely chase the offensive rebounds at ONLY the wise times on their own instincts. We are not there yet but the Dirk led teams couldn't have gotten an offensive rebound in their dreams. When we won the title, preventing Miami's transition games stopped the majority of what they did. That was a brilliant move and only a very disciplined and coachable team could have done it. 

As for Portland, I agree with most or all points above. But, we really played well enough to execute the game winning play when we took the lead with about 4 seconds left. In spite of things going against us and our own mistakes, we were 4 seconds from winning with outstanding execution. THAT IS PROGRESS!

I must say though, my first reaction to seeing the replay was that Trey Burke completely blew the game by following a good pass with a stupid attempt to throw a block at the defender that was totally unneeded as DFS could easily get the shot off. I was congratulating him for being the GOAT in a baaaaaaa, black sheep sort of way like the original and better use of the word. 
Upon further review, the ref could have easily not called it. Burke may have stumbled into him by totally unfortunate accident. The refs may have been predisposed to see things in a pro-Portland way. I don't know. I think I am sticking with Trey the goat in a non-caps way because results are results. Just another lesson to learn. Now he can't think the 19 losses is not my fault because this one totally is. That being said, I really like what I am seeing from Trey Burke. If Rick and others can mold him like they have others into making smart decisions, he might be a fine part of our future at a good price.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
^
Burke has been pretty good this time around and for this short period, but unless we get rid of 2 of our PG guys he should be on another team next year. I really hope we don't have Luka/Brunson/Wright/Burke/JJB (he's not gonna sign another contract, right? Please tell me he won't!) in our guard rotation. Also, if he is back with us, he should be in that JJB role of 3rd string behind Luka and Brunson on a vet min contract.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 12:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, if he is back with us, he should be in that JJB role of 3rd string behind Luka and Brunson on a vet min contract.

This. Trade Wright for any wing and sign a vet min third string PG. Burke is totally fine in that role.
Like Reply
I guess in hindsight the wine and dine with KP at the start of FA was a terrible decision...no need to make a Unicorn feel like Dallas is the best choice to sign with in FA especially since they were not on his list of teams when he demanded a trade last year...
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 12:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I guess in hindsight the wine and dine with KP at the start of FA was a terrible decision...no need to make a Unicorn feel like Dallas is the best choice to sign with in FA especially since they were not on his list of teams when he demanded a trade last year...

What is more important for an allstar caliber free agent? Wine and dine or a good supporting cast. I think KP would have prefered Kemba Walker or even Beverley/Green over a diner invitation.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 11:39 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Unless the MBT pulls some serious rabbits out of hats this summer and presuming the health of both teams, Phoenix will be higher in the standings at the end of 2020-21.

I am ALL in for this friendly wager. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1293608699173380096

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 12:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I guess in hindsight the wine and dine with KP at the start of FA was a terrible decision...no need to make a Unicorn feel like Dallas is the best choice to sign with in FA especially since they were not on his list of teams when he demanded a trade last year...

I think this is a bit naive. Things with the majority of players around the league have been agreed to long before June 30th. Especially with the guy being on the team for half a year, there were plenty opportunities before.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 01:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

What is more important for an allstar caliber free agent? Wine and dine or a good supporting cast. I think KP would have prefered Kemba Walker or even Beverley/Green over a diner invitation.

I still maintain that Brogdon should have been the target. Not the defensive liability Kemba is and would have taken enough of the tremendous offensive burden Luka and KP shoulder off that it might have gotten Luka in particular to do a little more on defense
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 01:24 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I still maintain that Brogdon should have been the target. Not the defensive liability Kemba is

Yep 100% with you. 

Brog was the great miss of the summer, not these other folks people talk about. He would help SO MUCH on this team right now.
Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 01:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

For Porzingas it was finding a team he wanted to be with long term. He just had escaped NBA hell AKA the Knicks. Kemba got tampered with and was not available. They tried for Green but that was a bad mistake in hindsight since they had to wait for his podcast announcement.

Like Reply
(08-12-2020, 02:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: For Porzingas it was finding a team he wanted to be with long term

And he didn't find that at dinner on June 30th.
Like Reply