Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Powell's injury unlock KP or is it something else?
I would say it is simply previous programed KP's recovery and in-team implementation process in phases after serious injury and more than a year not playing BB.
How much, now we are 4, 5 months in the league and that's not long time for skinny 7,3 tall guy to recover to the level KP is now. And still improving Smile
I don't think it has anything major to do with mavs injuries, he was and still iis very good player who just need time to recover and find his game in new environment.
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 03:40 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: It's a combo of the two imo. I think DP going down was a blessing long term for this franchise. That being said I don't ever wish a player to get hurt and this has more to do with RC than Powell. Powell is only doing what RC wants him to. KP is a lot more effective at the 5 and the Luka/DP PR had become to much of our offense. DP will never be the same, but maybe he can be a decent bench big which is where he belongs. Maxi should be the starter with KP if we don't upgrade at the 4.

I agree. I think at the time Rick thought DP as the rim-roller next to KP was the best use of the talent they had available but it boxed in KP offensively. I was really down on DP but now with the realization that he will likely rejoin Maxi off the bench next year I am optimistic that he's still going to be effective. Much has been said about his athleticism but I also think he's a crafty player who is still going to get open on the rim on dives.

If you watch Zaza as an example, he had zero athleticism but was a crafty and useful player. I think Powell even post injury will have more lift than Zaza ever did and still be able to put the ball on the floor (altho maybe not since that's how he got injured). At any rate we might have been too quick to announce him dead. JJB had a very good vertical for a small guy and now at 35 post injury has no lift at all but is effective bc he is a crafty player. I expect the same for Powell. Am I happy we gave him 40 mil? No and that was before his injury. But I do think he's going to be a good rotation player when he's back.
Like Reply
I really hope Powell spends a ton of time working on his set 3 pointer as he recovers and can’t move much. Though I said earlier the best case scenario involves him coming back full strength, I’m not sure it’s realistic to expect the same level of rim running within his 1st season, and maybe not ever.

Dude needs to become a 40% marksman from range.
Like Reply
I think it has to do with Holger
Like Reply
I thought he was just rusty in the beginning of the season. It was just a matter of time before he gets into game shape and that's what we are seeing right now.

It's still pretty much the same KP all season, imo. The shot selection is still the same. The only difference is he's making most of his shots right now, especially the midrange.

I miss Dirk so much, man. Truly glad to see KP doing Dirk things out there. Just shooting over defenders, the 3 pointers, with better overall defense.
Like Reply