Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Powell's injury unlock KP or is it something else?
During yesterday's game I believe I heard Doris Burke say something about KP said he was feeling more comfortable now that he can mix in more pick and rolls instead of just mainly pick and pops. KP has been playing more center since the Powell injury.

Let's take a dive into the game logs to dissect. https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...melog/2020

The Powell injury happened on game 43 on 1/21. This was also the same game KP returned from his extended knee soreness. Looking at the games after that game I spot another potential explanation. Easily the worst game KP played in since then was the 1/28 game against Phoenix, that was the only time we played him on a back to back since his return. After that it seemed we finally got the message that playing him on back to backs is a bad idea

So what has led to KP's better play of late? No DP? No backs to backs? A combination of the two? Or something else? 

Thoughts
Like Reply
I think KP finally got right with his own thoughts, began to feel more comfortable and less conflicted. He is very tough on himself and thinks perhaps a bit too much. We heard him say that about himself a few times. 

He has also said that he likes his role playing the 5 better than the 4. 

I said a month ago that he needed to take the Tim Duncan bank shot. At the time he seemed halfway between the bank and the straight in shot. His rotation of his body wasn't right...and he missed a lot. He has clearly fixed that and he has clearly decided to not only take the bank shot but to work his way into position for that shot. Playing offense at all 3 levels has even resulted in him shooting better from 3. 

Overall, though coaching strategy and coaching him individually obviously had some effect, I think a lot of this is very simple: KP figured it out for himself and he and Luka have figured out some better ways to work together. 

I love what I'm seeing and if Powell were to come back say 90%, I don't forsee a problem though I do foresee Powell playing with the bench mob.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
He started looking better mid December when Luka got hurt...a section of fans were calling him a below average player and questioned him getting the Max...

He goes out and starts having monster games and finally got comfortable playing in a Carlisle offense that asked him to play differently than what he was used to...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 10:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: He started looking better mid December when Luka got hurt...a section of fans were calling him a below average player and questioned him getting the Max...

He goes out and starts having monster games and finally got comfortable playing in a Carlisle offense that asked him to play differently than what he was used to...

I propose that if KP plays like he has since his return from the "injury break" the rest of the way, we fire up a KP apology thread. I'm pretty sure that I never bashed KP in those early months, but I will admit that I consider the contrast between pre-break KP and post-break KP to be even more stunning than THJ last year and this year, or even Luka last year and this year. KP since the break is a freaking juggernaut.
Like Reply
I think DP going out has forced KP to be more involved in the offense, and KP and the Mavs are both better for it.

Best case scenario is DP comes back as effective as he was pre injury and slips into a bench role while we find a guard and forward who can defend and hits 3s this offseason.

Roll with Luka/THJ/G/F/KP as starters with Brunson/Curry/DFS/Maxi/DP as the core bench mob. Get the right couple players in there combined with some more seasoning and luck with health, you have a contender.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 10:42 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: He started looking better mid December when Luka got hurt...a section of fans were calling him a below average player and questioned him getting the Max...

He goes out and starts having monster games and finally got comfortable playing in a Carlisle offense that asked him to play differently than what he was used to...
That was always ridiculous. After an injury that kept him out for 20 months I was going to have complete patience with him until about halfway through the next season, this was just the season for him and Luka to figure out how to mesh and for KP shake the rust off. Right now it's looking ahead of schedule if anything, though I do think the DP injury opened things up for KP to play more like he used to over this latest and most beastly stretch of the season

I also don't think it is a coincidence that he started playing his best ball after the team finally starting load managing him properly and giving him the back to back games off. We rode him too hard during that stretch when Luka was hurt
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 06:57 PM)MrGoat Wrote: So what has led to KP's better play of late? No DP? No backs to backs? A combination of the two? Or something else?

I believe reasons for KP (bad) production were just psychological. He needed a trigger to remove those obstacles in his mind. Perhaps it was DP, perhaps Luka injury, perhaps something else. I believe, even if DP comes back healthy and is inserted back in the same role, KP will still keep same production.
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 12:29 AM)DrMav Wrote: I think DP going out has forced KP to be more involved in the offense, and KP and the Mavs are both better for it.

Best case scenario is DP comes back as effective as he was pre injury and slips into a bench role while we find a guard and forward who can defend and hits 3s this offseason.

Roll with Luka/THJ/G/F/KP as starters with Brunson/Curry/DFS/Maxi/DP as the core bench mob. Get the right couple players in there combined with some more seasoning and luck with health, you have a contender.

I love this post! Perfect and succinct.
Like Reply
KP isn’t getting any more shots per game than he had in the beginning, he’s just hitting more and more confident in his possessions. Maybe it took DP going out to get past the psychological stuff, or maybe he needed a few games sans Luka to get his confidence back, or maybe both.
Like Reply
Dwight Powell is trash
Jackson is too
With them out of the rotation
There's nothing the Mavs can't do
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
IMO, it's a combination of things.

• Early season, still in recovery mode (even though the knee was medically healed). Part of this process is learning to trust the injury site again and that takes time and getting to the point you are playing and reacting with no thought about the area. 
  • As part of the recovery and to help ease him back in, the Mavs played him as a stretch 4. Didn't have to immediately bang down low as he built his game stamina back up again, but it relied on a 3pt shot that was still coming back into form, especially under game situations. At the same time, Luka and DP were continuing the PnR routine they developed the previous season, with pretty good success.
  • He was also now 2nd (or 3rd) banana on the Luka's team, instead of 1st option. Probably has not been in that role in years.
  • Luka goes out with the 1st ankle injury and KP has the chance to re-assert his primary role, which builds confidence in his physical capability and his game skills. 
  • Knee soreness keeps him out a few games, but allows KP to watch and maybe relax mentally? Then DP goes down and suddenly he's the main PnR guy for Luka, but before they really get this going, Luka hurts his ankle again and is out for several games. This is when KP really comes into his own. He once again proves capable of taking over games and leading the team to victory. This also give Luka time to observe and understand how to start meshing with KP.
  • Luka comes back right before the ASG and we get a glimpse of what our Euro Duo™ can do. After a week of rest and recuperation, we are starting to get the level of play and competitiveness we hoped for. Add in THJ's and Seth's nightly contributions and this is a team that might surprise some people in the post season. 
They have to continue to develop the skills to close out games and that takes time to learn how to trust each other and make good decisions. I'm reminded of the 90s Rockets championships. They had a couple of years where they were learning how to get over the hump. Similarly, the 2011 Mavs had to figure out how to win when the pressure was on. I'm not saying they will win a championship this year. Maybe not even a 1st round series. But I think the shared experience will be extremely valuable and, for that reason, keeping the core 7-10 players together is critical to building on this year's success in the next season.

My apologies to the TL : DR members.
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 11:03 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Dwight Powell is trash
Jackson is too
With them out of the rotation
There's nothing the Mavs can't do

I love your post
because of the flow
but regarding Dwight Powell
Dougie Fresh... you just don't know

I agree with everyone about what unlocked KP. It's all the above! 

Knock of rust, learn the system, regain confidence, space to be the man when Luka was down, space to do roll and pop with DP, and Luka learning how to work with KP

(03-06-2020, 11:03 AM)michaeltex Wrote: IMO, it's a combination of things.

• Early season, still in recovery mode (even though the knee was medically healed). Part of this process is learning to trust the injury site again and that takes time and getting to the point you are playing and reacting with no thought about the area. 
  • As part of the recovery and to help ease him back in, the Mavs played him as a stretch 4. Didn't have to immediately bang down low as he built his game stamina back up again, but it relied on a 3pt shot that was still coming back into form, especially under game situations. At the same time, Luka and DP were continuing the PnR routine they developed the previous season, with pretty good success.
  • He was also now 2nd (or 3rd) banana on the Luka's team, instead of 1st option. Probably has not been in that role in years.
  • Luka goes out with the 1st ankle injury and KP has the chance to re-assert his primary role, which builds confidence in his physical capability and his game skills. 
  • Knee soreness keeps him out a few games, but allows KP to watch and maybe relax mentally? Then DP goes down and suddenly he's the main PnR guy for Luka, but before they really get this going, Luka hurts his ankle again and is out for several games. This is when KP really comes into his own. He once again proves capable of taking over games and leading the team to victory. This also give Luka time to observe and understand how to start meshing with KP.
  • Luka comes back right before the ASG and we get a glimpse of what our Euro Duo™ can do. After a week of rest and recuperation, we are starting to get the level of play and competitiveness we hoped for. Add in THJ's and Seth's nightly contributions and this is a team that might surprise some people in the post season. 
They have to continue to develop the skills to close out games and that takes time to learn how to trust each other and make good decisions. I'm reminded of the 90s Rockets championships. They had a couple of years where they were learning how to get over the hump. Similarly, the 2011 Mavs had to figure out how to win when the pressure was on. I'm not saying they will win a championship this year. Maybe not even a 1st round series. But I think the shared experience will be extremely valuable and, for that reason, keeping the core 7-10 players together is critical to building on this year's success in the next season.

My apologies to the TL : DR members.

Don't apologize for your own greatness, tex!
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 11:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I love your post
because of the flow

Can a mod change my title to "#1 Dwight Hater"?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 12:11 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 11:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I love your post
because of the flow

Can a mod change my title to "#1 Dwight Hater"?

Man Dougie
I don't even know
Talking mod skills?
I am a zero
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 12:11 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Can a mod change my title to "#1 Dwight Hater"?

I tried but it wouldn't save. You should be able to do it yourself.
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 01:33 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 12:11 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Can a mod change my title to "#1 Dwight Hater"?

I tried but it wouldn't save. You should be able to do it yourself.
Use the User CP at the top left area Doggie...
Like Reply
Thanks guys! I figured it out.
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 02:12 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Thanks guys! I figured it out.
Apology I just realized my auto correct changed it to doggie in my post above...no disrespect intended...
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 02:27 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 02:12 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Thanks guys! I figured it out.
Apology I just realized my auto correct changed it to doggie in my post above...no disrespect intended...

None taken ClutchDick
Like Reply
It's a combo of the two imo. I think DP going down was a blessing long term for this franchise. That being said I don't ever wish a player to get hurt and this has more to do with RC than Powell. Powell is only doing what RC wants him to. KP is a lot more effective at the 5 and the Luka/DP PR had become to much of our offense. DP will never be the same, but maybe he can be a decent bench big which is where he belongs. Maxi should be the starter with KP if we don't upgrade at the 4.
Like Reply