Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Bulls 109
(03-04-2020, 06:39 PM)omahen Wrote: Now I would like Itsgotime and Hakeemfan to point out where in this two critical quarters the heroballing and not trusting his teammates happened?
All you and dfs98 have talked about to this point is JJB and Wright, the other ball handlers. In your typing, I saw JJB 0 times and Wright 4 times with 2 of the times happening in the same play. You wrote up 33 plays of which 7 did not have Luka’s name.
Like Reply
(03-04-2020, 07:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: All you and dfs98 have talked about to this point is JJB and Wright, the other ball handlers. In your typing, I saw JJB 0 times and Wright 4 times with 2 of the times happening in the same play. You wrote up 33 plays of which 7 did not have Luka’s name.

I focused on Luka. Go ahead, rewatch the game and focus on Wright. Barea didn't play with Luka in those 2 quarters. He played as Luka sub and he was crap as was the whole unit with Luka out. But I guess it is him to be blamed for these minutes too.

Your comment is crap, trying to make a point with taking things out of context and not really watching the game. I did it. Of course Luka is involved a lot, he is a PG. But, he makes right decisions and shares the ball. He also plays off the ball as you can see above. I didn't cover all parts of attacks where others had the ball for 5-10 seconds, did nothing and pass it back to Luka. 

What my review proves is:
- comments about Luka taking step back threes instead of driving are crap. Out of three 3 pointers attempted exactly one was that. Two were desperation shots
- comments about Luka not trusting the others are crap. There were 3 clutch attacks in a row with Luka passing to completely open teammates in clutch minutes.

(03-04-2020, 07:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You wrote up 33 plays of which 7 did not have Luka’s name.

Another one proving how you just write stuff and try to show it how you think it happened. There were 11 actions (out of 33) where Luka was palying off ball or wasn't involved. A couple of times his name appeared in a sentence like Luka was playing off ball (and similar) which you counted as Luka was involved on offense. And to add on those 11, there was another attack where Wright had ball most of the time and passed it to Luka with 6 seconds left to create something. 

But hey, let's go with your takes.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 02:39 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: The issue is Luka feeling he has to do too much.  He needs to let go a bit and be content to play off the ball a while too. As I said if he is double teamed and passes off the ball he has done his job. He doesn’t have to get an assist with the first pass or go back and get the ball immediately.
I don’t see a single mention of hero ball or step back threes, but you keep at that straw man. You think 100% of the blame is on anyone not named Luka, we think differently. Nothing more to see here.
Like Reply
First two pages only:

(03-03-2020, 10:58 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Dirk didn’t force bad shots

implying Luka does/did

[quote pid='28681' dateline='1583264379']
hakeemfanThe issue is Luka feeling he has to do too much.  He needs to let go a bit and be content to play off the ball a while too. As I said if he is double teamed and passes off the ball he has done his job. He doesn’t have to get an assist with the first pass or go back and get the ball immediately.
[/quote]

Do I need to say more?

[quote pid='28700' dateline='1583290376']
hakeemfanHis hand and double teaming by the opposition did not stop him from being effective when he was not jacking up 3s...did it?
[/quote]

And more?
[quote pid='28700' dateline='1583290376']
hakeemfanA huge part of it is on Luka because he tries to do way too much. 
[/quote]

And more?

(03-04-2020, 09:36 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Yes he was clearly affected by his injuries but he was still trying to be ball dominant too. Let go and trust your teammates.

And more?

(03-04-2020, 09:36 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: There are always excuses if one wants to force bad shots. It is up to Luka to decide what he wants to do.

Not really related to this game, but still mentioning bad shots

(03-04-2020, 07:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t see a single mention of hero ball or step back threes

Can you read? He is clearly:
- implying Luka is heroballing (trying to do too much) - not true as it goes for Chicago game
- directly saying he is not passing out of double team - not true again
- "doesn't need to get an assist" - like he is assist hunting or what!? There are numerous hockey pass assits from his plays.

Not to mention all the other arguments quoted above

(03-04-2020, 07:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: you keep at that straw man

You keep at that straw. Once I proved you wrong by play by play facts you just went to some other stupid out of context arguments.

Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/DIYEW0skyXCne/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
One thing that seems to keep getting lost here (to me anyway) is that we started good based on luka doing what he does... scoring or creating for others. THJ and DFS were contributing offensively early as well but then Rick went to a smallball lineup with Maxi as the only big and with only THJ as the only shotmaker and the resulting run we gave up should have been predictable. I understand being short staffed and experimenting and whatnot but he put in barea,wright,THJ, MKG and Maxi and the bulls just attacked that lineup because of size mismatches and got easy scoring ops or putbacks off misses. Only threat to score is THJ, barea was too small and his speed wasn't getting him much and worse, this lineup wasn't matching the effort to rebound/defend.

Rick realized soon enough hey maybe I need a big guy on the floor to get some rebounds and clog the paint a bit and put Boban back in but left Barea (who was having a rough time getting by anyone) and Delon (who generally tries to defer to others) as the perimeter defense..... that worked about as good as it sounds especially since Boban is better suited waiting in the paint then having to show and recover. To me, once it became obvious that Barea was having an off night, he shoulda been pulled for a sec to play an all defense lineup to at least slow up the parade to the hoop. Try a Delon/THJ/MKG/Maxi/Boban and just challenge everything or Delon/THJ/DFS/Maxi/WCS or lineups without obvious holes on both the offensive and defensive end. Its lineups like these or worse when he plays JJ (at all; but especially as a PF).... we cant create easy shot attempts and we cant get a stop/rebound. Thats the worst of both worlds and he puts lineups like that on the floor and watches the inevitable run from the other team while we brick 3s.

Come on guy. Half the season is done and you can't figure a decent defensive lineup with size? Or a good mix of players to generate better looks from mid range/in the paint besides forcing Luka to create it all? Lets pound teams inside on offense to get double teams and work the ball for the best shot. No team is gonna go far if everytime down the half court you give the ball to one player and say create while everyone else stays camped at the 3pt line.

Dont you see that when we have JJ or Maxi as the sole big with DFS helping its a noble effort but they give up size on defense/rebounding. All teams ave spells where they can't score but you play lineups where if the 3s aren't falling, we neither can score or defend. Howabout some mins for WCS to pick and roll with Barea since he's an effective P&R guard or something besides put back in luka and hope he creates something from nothing even as the defenses try to clamp tighter on him. Also getting a tech to support his players or using his challenge on obvious plays where we got fouled without a whistle and turned the ball over wouldn't hurt. 

Our backcourt is small so we need to mix our SG/SF rotation and play and try to get a bit of scoring out of our Cs not named KP. Paint points from a big open up the floor as do solid screens and can be reliable to breakdown a defense more than handoffs/passing around the perimeter and driving with no real intention to get up a shot attempt...

Our "historic offense" is easy to stop when teams play length on the permeter and bump luka daring the refs to call a foul on just about every play all game long and it rightfully frustrates luka as no one besides THJ can be relied upon to make a jumper (when we are missing KP/Curry).....Where is the coaching adjustment to play to players strengths? Some alley oops or post ups for WCS/Boban, better screens or just playing size and trying to keep the game close.

I've seen pretty much all our SG/SF pass a lob to KP so why not let them do the same with WCS/Boban. Its one thing to lose to teams because we are outmatched, its another when you forfeit pieces from playing and handicap yourself. Im not saying Boban or WCS need to play xyz mins a game but our offense goes from 100-0 too often for us to not use every weapon available... especially since they help on the defensive/rebounding front too which used to be an important part of winning games.

Sometimes I feel like when Rick plays these guys and they start to make a mark on the game, he benches them because of the need for a "modern" play style. He did it with MKG after an offensive rebound/FTs made combo as well as to Boban before his hand was forced to bring him back. On a seperate note, Courtney Lee was getting hosed by the refs on a few calls that could have been challenged as did Barea with the offensive foul called against him. 

I just think rick does best when his hand is forced. Dont play multiple PGs without a C on the floor or don't be surprised by the runs we give up.
Like Reply
You put several good points. Small ball is not working, I guess we have good enough sample from whole season to prove it. However, I tend not to be too smart about coach decisions, as we don't know the grand plan. One thing.

(03-04-2020, 08:22 PM)dmavs4life03 Wrote: challenged as did Barea with the offensive foul called against him

Archidiacono really professionally sold that one, totally Barea style as Chicago reporters cleverly noted Smile However, I think much more questionable was an offensive on DFS. He just went up and somehow refs thought his touch on the defending player is an offensive foul. He didn't push or anything.
Like Reply