Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Bulls 109
Mavs Deliver Clunker in Chicago

The Mavericks let another one slip away in an absent-minded effort against one of the Eastern Conference's bottom feeders. 

Game Story

Both sides entered the contest banged up. The Bulls had several players out, including Lauri Markkanen and Zach LaVine. For the Mavs, Porzingis was held out on the SEGABABA, Seth was out with lower back tightness, and Brunson was still rehabbing his shoulder. Luka was able to return after a game resting his injured thumb. WCS returned to the team after missing several games due to a death in his family. He dressed, but didn't play. We wish him and his loved ones all the best. The night's starting lineup was Luka/THJ/DFS/Lee/Maxi. 

The Mavs got off to a good start, and ended the first period leading 29-19, with Luka making his re-entry sporting a 10-point quarter. Both teams played to a draw in the second, and the visitors maintained their 10-point lead, going into halftime at 58-48.

According to the coach, the first part of the third quarter proved Dallas' downfall. The Bulls came out with intensity, and the Mavs looked like they were ready to load up the bus and head out. Their 10-point advantage turned to a 4-point deficit within six minutes. They never recovered. A couple of boneheaded Bulls errors made the game interesting in the last minute, but in the end, the Mavericks folded their tents and went home. 

Analytics

The difference came down to possessions, with the Bulls putting up 10 more shot attempts than the Mavs. Both teams were putrid from deep (Mavs 29%, Bulls 28%). The Mavericks depend on their three-point shooting as a matter of course, but THJ was 4-12, Luka 1-8, and the bench 0-6. Yikes. Our boys missed five free-throw attempts, which was more than twice the point differential for the game. The Mavs had an uncharacteristic 18 turnovers, surrendering 18 points, and also allowed 22 second-chance points. A lot of sloppy errors, along with poor shooting, doomed their efforts. The bench was beaten 60-19. Oof! Still, the team took advantage of some similarly poor play by the Bulls, and had a chance to win or tie at the end. 

Players

Luka (38 min) returned to play long minutes, and had a 23-5-9 line. His sprained thumb had improved since his last game, according to Rick, but it was clearly still bothering him. He completed 8-20 FGAs, missed three free throws, and had 4 turnovers, and I think the thumb played a part in those peccadillos. In addition, however, it seemed to me that he reverted to an extent to forcing the issue and trying to "do it all," rather than trusting his teammates and letting the game come to him against a poor team. The Bulls double-teamed him all night, and he is still adapting to giving the ball up in those circumstances. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day. Anyway, hope he recovers well. 

Tim (36 min) led the team with 26 points on 10-21 shooting. At the beginning of the season, I was pretty much on the fence regarding this player. I have realized now that I have gotten to where I really enjoy watching him play. He can have a tendency to get a little shot-happy, but when he is essentially the second option, he takes responsibility on himself to score. I love his quick release, his energy, and his versatility in putting points on the board. 

Maxi (34 min) had 13 points, 10 boards, and 3 blocks in a starting role. He has come a long way as a player this season, especially in terms of being a threat from long range (3-7 3PTA on the night). However, the team struggles without Porzingis on the floor, and Maxi is better as a supporting actor. Still, can't complain too much on this score. 

DFS (32 min) was a bright spot on a generally insipid night, with an 18-7-3 line. He was 7-10 from the floor, and his plays included three triples and a couple of ferocious flushes. I am intrigued with Doe Doe's development on the offensive end, and I think we should keep our eye on it. If the Mavs could count on the forward for double-digit scoring consistently, that would be major. He looked very confident out there. 

Wright (27 min) led the bench in minutes, and had 6 assists and 4 rebounds. He did a pretty good job of facilitating, but took (and missed) only two shots, and had some terrible turnovers and defensive lapses. I can't explain it. 

Lee (24 min) had 8 points as a starter, but his impact on the court was limited by his being in foul trouble for most of the game. 

Boban (22 minutes) got an unusual extended runout. I confess that I love it when Bobi plays. The gentle man-mountain made scoring look so easy -- 14 points on 7-11 shooting. In addition, he caused problems for the Bulls inside, and recorded 12 rebounds. Rick thought he was great on the court, and said they thought the tempo of this match would be slow enough to enable Boban to contribute. 

I don't exactly know why Carlisle always praises Marjanovic with left-handed compliments, but there we are. A couple of other observers laughingly remarked that during practice or before games, Bobi is always kind of goofy-looking, going around smiling and yucking it up, looking like a guy whom no one takes too seriously, but he is unfailingly ready and professional when his number is called. Jet thinks Rick should consider playing Boban more, as he is a mismatch nightmare for opponents and has a good shooting touch. 

Barea (13 min) had 5 assists, but didn't score. Not his best outing. 

Jackson and MKG had short stints on the floor, during which not much happened. 

Bulls. The short-staffed Bulls were better than I expected, mostly in the area of playing hard and staying focused. This was in contrast to the Mavs, who didn't seem to be concentrating, even being taken to task by Harp for allowing an offensive rebound and put back off a missed Chicago FTA. The Chicago squad is banged up, and has little to play for except pride, and kudos to them for making a game of it. 

Remarks

Rick was disappointed in his squad's disposition, especially in the third quarter. On the brighter side, he loved the last minute, in which the team scrapped for two steals, and Luka's half-court heave over two defenders at the buzzer was right in the slot, although it didn't fall. However, he volunteered that the NBA doesn't allow for taking 12 minutes off during a game.

The FSSW studio crew were disappointed in the team's energy level, although Dana did point out that it was the Mavs' fifth game in eight nights, and they might have been running low on gas. They attributed the poor mentality to this being a "getaway game" -- the last game at the end of a long road trip, everyone is ready to go home, they have a weak opponent, they anticipate a comfortable win, they're looking ahead to a big game on their return home, they don't play very hard, and they get punched in the mouth. Courtney Lee had no use for those excuses, saying that their job is to compete at the highest level, and they had instead let the match slip through their fingers. 

The Mavs have been mired in 7th place for a while, and it has been games like this that have kept them from having enough consistency to climb the seeding ladder. There are a number of reasons they might not have played their best in this contest. It was the fifth game in eight nights, at the end of a lengthy road trip. Luka's hand was still hurt. KP, Seth, and Brunson were out. Conditions weren't the best, to be sure. Still. . . .

Next. The Mavs face the Pelicans at the AAC. This should be an exciting game, and hopefully the Mavericks will be healthier, more rested, and more up for it. Good times. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
I think Maxi plays better when there is another big in the game with him. 

I wonder why the last 2 games he was available that WCS got a dnp-cd?
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 03:28 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: In addition, however, it seemed to me that he reverted to an extent to forcing the issue and trying to "do it all," rather than trusting his teammates and letting the game come to him against a poor team. The Bulls double-teamed him all night, and he is still adapting to giving the ball up in those circumstances. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thanks for the recap, however, I can't agree with this part. Luka was forced to try everything by himself because there was not a single other creator available. THJ is trying to extent, although he prefers to solve with a tough shot. The rest were just anemic observers. Barea didn't have his day. Wright is looking worse every game. Really looking forward for Brunson to return. Luka was passing all the time. Actually, he only took 2 shots in the final quarter where Bulls basically left other Mavs completely open.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 04:00 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 03:28 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: In addition, however, it seemed to me that he reverted to an extent to forcing the issue and trying to "do it all," rather than trusting his teammates and letting the game come to him against a poor team. The Bulls double-teamed him all night, and he is still adapting to giving the ball up in those circumstances. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day.

Thanks for the recap, however, I can't agree with this part. Luka was forced to try everything by himself because there was not a single other creator available. THJ is trying to extent, although he prefers to solve with a tough shot. The rest were just anemic observers. Barea didn't have his day. Wright is looking worse every game. Really looking forward for Brunson to return. Luka was passing all the time. Actually, he only took 2 shots in the final quarter where Bulls basically left other Mavs completely open.
Yes and no. Sometimes luka gets it set in his head when he feels like he's getting pressed by someone too much that he tries to come at them with equal force not paying attention anymore to the right basketball play but to "owning" the aggressive defender and showing he "can't be stopped 1 on 1". Sometimes the whistle is blown or he makes the shot he "creates' but other times the refs just sorta watch him dribble til a help defender pokes the ball away or he loses it tryna be fancy/draw a foul and then he goes to the refs and lets it sour his mood the next play or two. He might come back down after having turned the ball over and shoot a 3 with barely 5 secs off the clock.

Its on coaching to recognize that and bring it up to him or bench him for a min or too to calm down. Same with taking it to the refs if you feel your guy's getting beat up, same with coaching for someone to go get the ball and create some action that can open up a scoring opportunity in the paint/midrange instead of just looking for open 3s. It doesn't have to be a dribble dribble guard either..... reliable paint touches/finishes or the threat thereof is enough to open things up and lately Currys midrange game adds a dimension where the defense has to pick poison... either a decent midrange touch from someone who can make em, decent paint touches from KP/Boban/Maxi/WCS that's a bucket or a passing clinic around the arc for a 3 from THJ/DFS/KP. 

Part of the reason KP is thriving is he's also a threat to pop the mid range effectively while also banging in 3s or down low. Our offense can sorta make it without KP but the defense goes to pot w/o him. Part of the reason I was thrilled wen we got Tyson back in 2011 and he was healthy was we had legit size to go against the lakers if we got to face em and if we faced the spurs, loading up on JET/Dirk wouldn't be effective because he could CATCH the ball and finish or MAKE FTs unlike brick hands Dampier. And his size helped tapout/rebound so many opportunities for us. We need to make use of the entire roster like we have anytime we went far in the playoffs.... if thats the goal. Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line: The Mavericks let ANOTHER one slip away in an absent-minded 3PT brickfesting effort against one of the Eastern Conference's bottom feeders. 
Like Reply
Luka probably shouldn´t have played. He barely used his injured left hand and it took away his biggest strength...ballhandling. For a player of his size he probably has the best handles of all time. The injury made it impossible for him to create as he usually does. Handles were slow and he couldn´t create space or get by a defender.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 07:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Luka probably shouldn´t have played. He barely used his injured left hand and it took away his biggest strength...ballhandling. For a player of his size he probably has the best handles of all time. The injury made it impossible for him to create as he usually does. Handles were slow and he couldn´t create space or get by a defender.

Yep without a healthy left hand he is not a transcendent player, especially when his three point shot is what it is.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 08:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep without a healthy left hand he is not a transcendent player, especially when his three point shot is what it is.

Interesting how the discussion is still about a Luka 23-5-9 stat line with a +10 +-. I would say a much bigger issue is production of the other two point guards:
Wright, 0 points on 2 attempts in 26 minutes
Barea, 0-3 in 13 minutes

Their combined line in 39 minutes was: 1-6-9 and 4 turnovers. 

Basketball is a team sport and Luka is not a magician who can just make lay-ups against three guards. Others need to spread the floor for him or create at times. 3point shot was bad and there was basically zero shot creation. I am not saying he is mistake free. Of course not. However, we have to be realistic. Mavs have 4 good offensive players and are second tier playoff team when healthy. Take two of this players out, and they become bad team. Unfortunately, Maxi, DFS and the rest does not have the quality to step up on offense.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 09:03 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 08:12 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep without a healthy left hand he is not a transcendent player, especially when his three point shot is what it is.

Interesting how the discussion is still about a Luka 23-5-9 stat line with a +10 +-. I would say a much bigger issue is production of the other two point guards:
Barea, 0-3 in 13 minutes

Basketball is a team sport and Luka is not a magician who can just make lay-ups against three guards. Others need to spread the floor for him or create at times. 3point shot was bad and there was basically zero shot creation. I am not saying he is mistake free. Of course not. However, we have to be realistic. Mavs have 4 good offensive players and are second tier playoff team when healthy. Take two of this players out, and they become bad team. Unfortunately, Maxi, DFS and the rest does not have the quality to step up on offense.

Maxi and DFS both had good games on offense. 3-point shooting and in DFS case some highlight plays in the paint. Guard play was bad. And that includes Luka. Without his handles he just isn´t the same player. The team really missed Curry. He has carried the offense in the last few games.
Thing is that we have different expectations for Luka. I am not suprised when JJB cannot produce because he is ready to retire. I also watched Wright hesitate on offense all season long. Not suprised that he has another off game.
The most obvious difference compared to their usual performance was Luka struggling to create of the dribble. Struggling to switch hands. Slower changes of direction. The injury really handicapped him.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 09:03 AM)omahen Wrote: Interesting how the discussion is still about a Luka 23-5-9 stat line with a +10 +-. I would say a much bigger issue is production of the other two point guards:
Barea, 0-3 in 13 minutes

Basketball is a team sport and Luka is not a magician who can just make lay-ups against three guards.

Luka is AMAZING. And his supporting cast without Seth/KP (the 2nd and 3rd most important players on the team IMO, sorry THJ) is weak. 

However, Luka is NOT a transcendent, once-in-a-lifetime player if his left hand is bummed and his three point shot is cold. Just truth.
Like Reply
Though I agree with most if not all of the points above, I think the two best points were Luka's left hand and the 5th game in 8 nights. The surest sign of fatigue is shots coming up just short on the front rim. For most of the 4th quarter, I just kept saying front rim, front rim, front rim, come on guys suck it up, front rim until it was to late. Even that last potential Luka magic moment came up short. It was on perfect line and elevation for a bank shot. 

I don't have stats but I think we are having a below average year on time missed by rotation players due to injury/load management. Earlier, Jalen and the gang played excellent and energetic team basketball to get some wins when our main guys were out. That simply didn't happen but it doesn't help that we are giving a bunch of minutes to guys who have been number 10-15 on the roster. 

May our health and energy and confidence return. We are 4-3 post all star break which is pretty much how we have played since early in the year when Luka was energetic and magical and several guys were surprising us. I so, so hope we can put together a closing surge. KP and Seth are on a surge so they can lead us down the stretch run.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 09:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The most obvious difference compared to their usual performance was Luka struggling to create of the dribble. Struggling to switch hands. Slower changes of direction. The injury really handicapped him.

I think it is not just injury. It is the fact that Chicago was able to clog the paint because non Luka and non THJ players were just not dangerous. Have a look at the second half. Everytime Luka tried to drive three defenders were on him. Chicago would be demolished if they dared to play this kind of defense against our whole team. With Seth and Curry out, Mavs were basically at the level of last season tanking squad.

While DFS and Maxi had solid offensive games, they are still rarely able to take opportunity that spacing gives to them. Speaking about opportunities not taken, not missed shots. All opportunities not taken returned ball back to Luka, who had to create again.

(03-03-2020, 09:42 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: May our health and energy and confidence return. We are 4-3 post all star break which is pretty much how we have played since early in the year when Luka was energetic and magical and several guys were surprising us. I so, so hope we can put together a closing surge. KP and Seth are on a surge so they can lead us down the stretch run.

I have no worries about the starters, if all present and more or less healthy. They are lethal offensive. I think bench needs one of the Wright or Jackson to become alive offensively. Unless we play only 8 guys in the playoffs with Wright coming in to play defense.
Like Reply
Trying not to be too over-reactionary, but this really did feel like the worst loss of the season... The game was right there for the taking against a bottom-feeder, with a chance to move up in the standings, and we just threw in the towel.

I agree with Mavsluvr that THJ is starting to be really fun to watch, but, although Maxi had a good game overall, his shooting in the clutch feels atrocious (could be wrong, haven’t checked the stats).

These far too common ‘bad losses’ are really starting to hurt, and show that we have a long, long way to go.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 09:45 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 09:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The most obvious difference compared to their usual performance was Luka struggling to create of the dribble. Struggling to switch hands. Slower changes of direction. The injury really handicapped him.

I think it is not just injury. It is the fact that Chicago was able to clog the paint because non Luka and non THJ players were just not dangerous. Have a look at the second half. Everytime Luka tried to drive three defenders were on him. Chicago would be demolished if they dared to play this kind of defense against our whole team. With Seth and Curry out, Mavs were basically at the level of last season tanking squad.

While DFS and Maxi had solid offensive games, they are still rarely able to take opportunity that spacing gives to them. Speaking about opportunities not taken, not missed shots. All opportunities not taken returned ball back to Luka, who had to create again.

(03-03-2020, 09:42 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: May our health and energy and confidence return. We are 4-3 post all star break which is pretty much how we have played since early in the year when Luka was energetic and magical and several guys were surprising us. I so, so hope we can put together a closing surge. KP and Seth are on a surge so they can lead us down the stretch run.

I have no worries about the starters, if all present and more or less healthy. They are lethal offensive. I think bench needs one of the Wright or Jackson to become alive offensively. Unless we play only 8 guys in the playoffs with Wright coming in to play defense.
I agree these are two important candidates to step up on the bench but I think Brunson could help the most but he may not be ok enough to do that. His injury ranks up there in ruining our bench just as Powell's injury mostly effected the bench. I miss our bench mob!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 09:59 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I agree these are two important candidates to step up on the bench but I think Brunson could help the most but he may not be ok enough to do that. His injury ranks up there in ruining our bench just as Powell's injury mostly effected the bench. I miss our bench mob!

I wasn't clear. I am counting on Brunson and Maxi to be good and reliable bench guys. Now we need at least one more to really step up.
Like Reply
Luka is a transcendent talent. However he still has to mature in certain aspects of his game and pointing that out doesn’t mean one doesn’t recognize how special a player he is.

What is currently obvious is that KP is the most important player on this roster. That should not be the case given how talented Luka is. Boban yesterday gave enough of a post offense/rebounds to somewhat makeup for KP absence. Bulls were missing some key players. Luka should have brought this game home. No matter how much folks said that TC or Kidd or JeT were the MIP while Dirk was the MVP, it was never really true. Dirk was always the Most Important Player and the MVP on his teams.

The difference between Dirk and Luka is that Dirk competed on both ends and that Dirk didn’t force bad shots. KP too right now does that even though he is not as talented as Luka. That is the change Luka has to make to his game. When Luka becomes the Most Important Player on this team, this team will be a legit contender.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 10:58 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Luka is a transcendent talent.  However he still has to mature in certain aspects of his game and pointing that out doesn’t mean one doesn’t recognize how special a player he is.

What is currently obvious is that KP is the most important player on this roster. That should not be the case given how talented Luka is. Boban yesterday gave enough of a post offense/rebounds to somewhat makeup for KP absence.  Bulls were missing some key players.  Luka should have brought this game home.  No matter how much folks said that TC or Kidd or JeT were the MIP while Dirk was the MVP, it was never really true. Dirk was always the Most Important Player and the MVP on his teams.

The difference between Dirk and Luka is that Dirk competed on both ends and that Dirk didn’t force bad shots.  KP too right now does that even though he is not as talented as Luka. That is the change Luka has to make to his game. When Luka becomes the Most Important Player on this team, this team will be a legit contender.

Don´t even know how to respond to a post like this. Need Clutch to provide a fitting gif.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 11:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 10:58 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Luka is a transcendent talent.  However he still has to mature in certain aspects of his game and pointing that out doesn’t mean one doesn’t recognize how special a player he is.

What is currently obvious is that KP is the most important player on this roster. That should not be the case given how talented Luka is. Boban yesterday gave enough of a post offense/rebounds to somewhat makeup for KP absence.  Bulls were missing some key players.  Luka should have brought this game home.  No matter how much folks said that TC or Kidd or JeT were the MIP while Dirk was the MVP, it was never really true. Dirk was always the Most Important Player and the MVP on his teams.

The difference between Dirk and Luka is that Dirk competed on both ends and that Dirk didn’t force bad shots.  KP too right now does that even though he is not as talented as Luka. That is the change Luka has to make to his game. When Luka becomes the Most Important Player on this team, this team will be a legit contender.

Don´t even know how to respond to a post like this. Need Clutch to provide a fitting gif.

Love Clutch but he is a homer through and through. I can imagine the gif he presents. Smile
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 11:22 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

Love Clutch but he is a homer through and through. I can imagine the gif he presents. Smile
https://media.giphy.com/media/a93jwI0wkWTQs/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I think the biggest issue last night was the lack of urgency. This team had no energy and got severely out hustled. 

Two plays that stood out to me: Mokaka (yes he exists) drove down the lane in slo-motion; Delon Wright was supposed to step up but literally just stood there and let him get the freebie. 

A few minutes later Little Arcidiacono missed both FT's but rebounded his own FT and made an uncontested shot in the paint. He even hesitated before the attempt, everybody just froze in amazement!
Like Reply
KP would wear down really fast if he had the responsibility to carry the offense night in and night out that Luka has IMO.
Like Reply