Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Forget Who Did the Mavs Get After Trading Shake Milton?
(03-02-2020, 03:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 03:11 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: ^^
“most likely” makes it an assumption. How am I wrong on that? Mavs selected Milton, Phi selected Spalding. Trade didn’t happen til after those two things occurred. Everything else is assumption. 

Plenty of scenarios to “assume” went on that night to narrow it down to just the one you believe to be true...unless you were in there with Donnie.

I guess this conversation is going nowhere because all of the trades on draft night technically happen after the pick is made. Hawks drafted Luka. Mavs drafted Trae.
Not too sure what one has to do with the other, but in this thread, I said “I wonder what the comments would be like had the Mavs kept Shake”. You then said right after that “Thing is that the Mavs wouldn’t have drafted him anyway.” Among other things. Yours is assumption outside of the reality that the Mavs actually did draft Shake, which I commented that your statement was weird based on the facts.

Your assumption is that the Sixers and Mavs had a trade determined beforehand. What if the Sixers were looking to draft Milton and waited to see if he would be available at their pick. When the Mavs selected him, they called up and asked if we wanted their 2 remaining picks for him and we could dictate to them who we wanted? Is that not at least a logical scenario? I think it is, but have no idea what actually happened, cause the possibilities are endless, esp. if you get down to the specifics of the actual trade and were not there.
Like Reply
If we liked Milton enough to draft him but then got talked out of him 5 minutes later for Spalding and Kostas is that actually any better?
Like Reply
This is literally the first time I've heard of Shake Milton in 2 years. 

Seriously. No one cared a lick before he got hot a couple of games in a row. He's put together a 16 game stretch where he's averaged 12ppg, which is solid no doubt, but to be mad that we traded Shake away is like getting mad that you gave your friend a coupon book that had a free entree to olive garden. Sure missing out on a delicious meal is sad, but it's momentary and you'll probably regret going there anyways, so you should just be happy that you grabbed the best coupons out of that book when you had it and move on. Getting mad over Olive Garden isn't a good look. 

I seriously couldn't care less that we traded a 50 something pick that has put together a good 2 weeks. We managed to plant the seed with Giannis, which imo is more than worth it for a project guard that took 2 years to get anything and I have serious doubts that Shake would have ever gotten a legit shot here behind Luka/Brunson/JJ/THJ/Curry.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The only people I see that are mad in this thread are the people trying to say “who cares”. Still wonder what comments we would have about Milton had we kept him.
Like Reply
(03-02-2020, 05:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The only people I see that are mad in this thread are the people trying to say “who cares”. Still wonder what comments we would have about Milton had we kept him.

I think the comments would be a range from "Free Shake, I can't believe Carlisle never gave him minutes" until he was eventually cut and did what he did in Philly where we'd all have pitch forks, to "I can't believe we decided to keep this dude over trying to get Kostas to lure Giannis, like what the Lakers are doing!!"
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-02-2020, 06:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 05:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The only people I see that are mad in this thread are the people trying to say “who cares”. Still wonder what comments we would have about Milton had we kept him.

I think the comments would be a range from "Free Shake, I can't believe Carlisle never gave him minutes" until he was eventually cut and did what he did in Philly where we'd all have pitch forks, to "I can't believe we decided to keep this dude over trying to get Kostas to lure Giannis, like what the Lakers are doing!!"
I think the “lure Giannis by drafting his brother” narrative is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard since drafting a guy from India to create a Yao Ming like following from India. Interesting, if this was indeed the reason we drafted Kostas, that anyone in their right mind would believe that to be either true, or worthy of consideration from Giannis.

If Giannis comes here (he won’t be coming here), it will have little to nothing to do with drafting his brother once upon a time. We could have kept Milton and picked up Kostas off the undrafted heap after the fact.

Also, anyone who thinks drafting Kostas would have anything to do with luring Giannis here HAS to believe that cutting Kostas does just as much damage.
Like Reply
(03-02-2020, 06:28 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think the “lure Giannis by drafting his brother” narrative is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard since drafting a guy from India to create a Yao Ming like following from India.

And you're right. But also exhibit A:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Z6xAYSVuuMurCXfi9

Exhibit B:

https://images.app.goo.gl/dcpXHmi1SVVTg5g8A

Exhibit C:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvQieGFgymw/

Exhibit D:
[/url][url=https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6ivhmB7a-/]https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6ivhmB7a-/

Exhibit E:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoILKK7lksh/

Exhibit F:
https://twitter.com/Giannis_An34/status/...6142099464

Has Giannis worn any Laker jersey of his brother? No. Has Giannis gone to every summer-league/g-league game of his brother in LA like he did in Dallas? No. Did Giannis tweet anything about when Kostas was picked up by LA? Nope.  Hell look at how many public posts Giannis has made of his brother wearing a Mavs jersey on his Instagram. Giannis hasn't made a SINGLE post of Kostas in LA. Not one. (Editors note: It turns out that Giannis has made actually 1 post of Kostas in LA, of him dunking on 11/20/2019, still only 1 post compared to the 10+ of Kostas when he was on the Mavs). Kinda odd don't you think? The only one he has is of all 3 of his brothers, and he isn't even holding the LA jersey. 

Giannis was also one of the most prolific praisers of Luka Doncic pre-draft, right up there with Porzingis. So am I saying Giannis to Dallas is a legit thing? No way. I don't think it's gonna happen. BUT if Giannis DOES decide to leave, then Dallas seems to be in a prime position to lure him away.

I think Dallas planted the seed, and showed Giannis how they treat players and I think he liked what he heard from Kostas.
Like Reply
The only people who seem mad on this thread are the ones who don’t think it’s a big loss anyway.

None of the others who have praised him, including myself, said anything negative about the Mavs

However given that a 6’6” guard who can defend and score was overlooked, a lot of GMs, including Donnie, ought to see what could have been done better. If not, they are not doing their jobs.
Like Reply
I think anything Kostas may or may not have relayed to Giannis about Dal would have been as transparent as his drafting as a ploy to get in his good graces. I don’t take Giannis as naive as some seem to be.

LeBron’s favorite football team is the Cowboys, did Jerry Jones sway him to come here? 

I also am not sure what your pic exhibits prove in this discussion either. So because he spent some time with his brother and we specifically set up a game where the two played on the same court, that somehow helps make that huge decision for him? A decision you yourself doubt goes our way?
Like Reply
I think this guy set the NBA record for consecutive three pointers made. He’s either on a hell of a heater or he can actually play.
Like Reply
Giannis isn't coming here. It's unfortunate this is even a discussion.

As for the thread topic: Shake Milton; I couldn't care less but truth is a lot of Mavs fans wanted to draft him; also, I'm a big believer in drafting local guys. And the MBT actually selected him. They got rid of him for 2 non-NBA players. 

It may be too early to tell but Shake thus far looks like an actual NBA player, a pretty good one at that. He'd be an upgrade to JJax, Delon, Bro, MKG, etc. 

It was a missed opportunity by the MBT to lock down a young, developing rotation player for peanuts. Instead we are paying $14M to Delon/JJax this summer. We still need to improve on maximizing our assets and getting the best bang for our buck. 

You can add Daniel Gafford to this list as well. I sure wish we drafted him over Roby last year.
Like Reply
(03-02-2020, 08:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I also am not sure what your pic exhibits prove in this discussion either. So because he spent some time with his brother and we specifically set up a game where the two played on the same court, that somehow helps make that huge decision for him? A decision you yourself doubt goes our way?

they don't prove anything. My post was supposed to be taken as satire given how wildly loose the connections were. I get it now that it didn't land.

Anyways, I don't think Giannis is leaving, but if he were to leave, I think the Mavs do have a very attractive location for him. And are one of the few teams that can offer Giannis a core so lethal that the league would be put on notice for years.  But its a year away and we never know what exactly can happen in the NBA.
Like Reply
It's not like they couldn't have bought another pick to grab Kostas if they really thought that they could use him to woo Giannis.

I don't think anyone is saying Shake is a franchise changer; but a pattern of missing out on usable pieces for some long term home run that never hits prevents you from ever building any depth and/or having assets that can help you actually hit one of those fabled home runs.

The Porzingis home run was made possible because of having a young asset (at the time an asset) in DSJ.

Hopefully they won't punt on the draft this year as well and can use pick 17-20 and pic 31 to add pieces that can grow around Luka and KP.
Like Reply
Giannis and Luka together dont even make that much sense.  Is Giannis going to play the Dwight Powell role while Luka dribbles around?  You think Luka is going to give up the #1 role like DWade did for Lebron?
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 05:47 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Giannis and Luka together dont even make that much sense.  Is Giannis going to play the Dwight Powell role while Luka dribbles around?  You think Luka is going to give up the #1 role like DWade did for Lebron?

Theoretically it could work perfectly. Giannis pushes fastbreak everytime after rebound. If it doesn't go, ball to Luka and PnR with Giannis while KP and two other shooters spread the floor. Of course you also stagger them.
Like Reply
(03-03-2020, 05:47 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Giannis and Luka together dont even make that much sense.  Is Giannis going to play the Dwight Powell role while Luka dribbles around?  You think Luka is going to give up the #1 role like DWade did for Lebron?

Wouldn´t worry abouth the fit if I can add an MVP level player. Talent makes it work and Giannis obviously can play off the ball. Bledsoe, Middleton, Brogdon last season. They all had some ballhandling time next to him.
Like Reply
Im speaking from Giannis’ perspective. Playing with AD makes way more sense. Follow in Magic, Kobe, Lebron’s footsteps. Take over for Lebron instead of joining Luka’s team. SoCal vs Texas.
Like Reply
Not mad at the Mavs.  Who thought Shake could show the type of flashes he shown like setting a consecutive make record. 
Probably no one or he would have been drafted higher. 

That said, he looks like he's actually got something.  Not a fluke.  His shooting stroke is on point, repeatable and he has the type of wingspan to be more than a flash in the pan.   BBIQ is hard to predict though so that's where he's making strides that could hold up over time.
Like Reply
I remember some posters in the old board were high on Shake pre-draft.  But then we got Luka and Jalen, and still had DSJ in the roster, as well as Barea and Devin.  It made sense to instead roll the die on two forwards (with a bonus "Hi Giannis").
Like Reply