Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Gordon this summer?
(02-07-2020, 07:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:58 PM)cow Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:39 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:18 PM)cow Wrote: but I'm not sure he'd be willing to swallow the pay cut I'd want to give him (about half of what he's making now)

I don't think you are being realistic here. He is certainly worth more. Over 14 points per game on 40 % 3P, not being a hole on defense and just starting his primer years. I am actually worried he will opt out.

I actually thought he was making 20m this year and 22m if he opts in next year.  I was thinking a new contract starting in the 12m range.  I don't think saying he might not take that or that we'd be outbid is unrealistic, that's just the type of contract I'd want to offer him.  Apologies.

He won the lottery with that contract. I would offer him a four-year starting at $14 mil. That ought to be movable if needed in 2021.

A contract you can trade would be my main goal.  I think he's worked himself up to a neutral asset based on his current play, but again he needs to be in a very specific situation for success.  I wouldn't mind a 14m flat contract.
Like Reply
Luka, JB
THJ, Reeves
Fournier, DFS, Harkless (Fournier playing SG minutes with the second team)
Maxi, (Harkless or DFS playing as small ball four)
KP, MLE, Powell, WCS

Add picks and vet minimums to cover the holes
Like Reply
Really hope WCS is a rental.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I wouldn't even considering giving up our #1 for Gordon. I'd be hesitant to trade THJ for him. Pass for me. I'd like Gordon, but he's had a bad year and is at a all time low in value imo.

Goodness gracious, some folks just hate the idea of adding a 3rd-or-4th-best-player-on-a-contending-team. Wouldn't consider giving up our #1 - #20 in a weak draft - for Gordon? What planet are we living on?

AG is not very good at basketball.  eFG% of 47% yikes.  Negative BPM.  Getting worse instead of improving. 

I do not understand the constant AG talk as anything other than a buy low bounceback candidate.
Like Reply
Ya’ll trippin, AG seems like the PERFECT player to plug in with this team.

Luka
THJ
DFS
Gordon
KP

all 5 can shoot threes, and shoot them well, yet don’t give up rim protection or size. We have a rim roller and lob threat, with upside to become a lot more, without sacrificing shooting like we had to with Powell. I think AG is one of the most realistic options and he fits the timeline well agewise. And stop criticising him with your bs numbers. Hes on the magic okay, the frikin magic. Look at how we transformed THJ (shooting 43% from three as a starter), the former Knicks ballhog and shot chucker. Not his fault the knicks are incompetent af. i can only imagine what we turn AG into. If anything its great that he is playing meh on the magic because we can buylow on him.

(02-07-2020, 08:32 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I wouldn't even considering giving up our #1 for Gordon. I'd be hesitant to trade THJ for him. Pass for me. I'd like Gordon, but he's had a bad year and is at a all time low in value imo.

Goodness gracious, some folks just hate the idea of adding a 3rd-or-4th-best-player-on-a-contending-team. Wouldn't consider giving up our #1 - #20 in a weak draft - for Gordon? What planet are we living on?

AG is not very good at basketball.  eFG% of 47% yikes.  Negative BPM.  Getting worse instead of improving. 

I do not understand the constant AG talk as anything other than a buy low bounceback candidate.

Stats and numbers are totally meaningless if you don’t look at them in context. You’re smarter than this come on.. prime example is THJ
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We would likely need to include THJ to match salaries, so I would want Evan and his Fournier back to replace him. 

Fournier and Gordon to Dallas
THJ, Wright, Justin, and the Mavs' 2020 1st to Orlando

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS

I hate to point it out but this trade doesn't even work because we are not allowed to trade our 2020 first round pick because we owe our 2021 pick to the Knicks. You are no longer allowed to trade first round picks in consecutive years. Our 2025 first round pick is the soonest first round pick we can offer because we also owe our 2023 FRP to the Knicks.

We could offer both of our 2nd round picks in 2020 though
Like Reply
Mavs are waiting for summer of 2021, and that is the right thing to do.
Unless there is an All-Star level of player is available we won't make any move to ruin our cap space.
Like Reply
Reviewed every single publicly available advanced stat I could easily find and not a single one says anything other than AG is a slightly to well below average NBA player.  He’s of no interest to me.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 12:15 AM)MrGoat Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We would likely need to include THJ to match salaries, so I would want Evan and his Fournier back to replace him. 

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS

I hate to point it out but this trade doesn't even work because we are not allowed to trade our 2020 first round pick because we owe our 2021 pick to the Knicks. You are no longer allowed to trade first round picks in consecutive years. Our 2025 first round pick is the soonest first round pick we can offer because we also owe our 2023 FRP to the Knicks.

You draft the player Orlando wants, essentially trading them a first round pick.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 06:52 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Mavs are waiting for summer of 2021, and that is the right thing to do.
Unless there is an All-Star level of player is available we won't make any move to ruin our cap space.

This is not the right way to do things. We should have learned by now that Plan Powder doesn’t work for this team.  We should also learn from teams like GS that you can pay an asset purely with the intent of flipping him later.  We can also see numerous examples that salary can be shedded.   

Plan Powder is a terrible approach for this particular franchise.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 12:15 AM)MrGoat Wrote:

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS

The 2020 pick can be traded.  You just have to make the pick first.  You can easily arrange to pick for another team and then execute the deal at any point after than up until you sign the player without assigning any salary to him.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 10:18 AM)hakeemfan Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 06:52 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Mavs are waiting for summer of 2021, and that is the right thing to do.

This is not the right way to do things. We should have learned by now that Plan Powder doesn’t work for this team. We should also learn from teams like GS that you can pay an asset purely with the intent of flipping him later. We can also see numerous examples that salary can be shedded.

Plan Powder is a terrible approach for this particular franchise.

This.

How can they not learn from this sh*t? Want Giannis? Put together a good team which is ***over the cap*** with plenty of trade assets. This is the correct way to do things, period. The Mavs' own history and the history of the league has shown this. Just ask the "we're getting KD and KL" Knicks.
Like Reply