Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aaron Gordon this summer?
We would likely need to include THJ to match salaries, so I would want Evan and his Fournier back to replace him. 

Fournier and Gordon to Dallas
THJ, Wright, Justin, and the Mavs' 2020 1st to Orlando

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS
Like Reply
John Collins in Atl is who I want. They just got 2 centers. I know he plays PF. Would love to pry him away from there if there is any chance.
Like Reply
I wouldn't even considering giving up our #1 for Gordon. I'd be hesitant to trade THJ for him. Pass for me. I'd like Gordon, but he's had a bad year and is at a all time low in value imo.
Like Reply
Gordon always seems soft whenever I watch him. Would not complain if we get him but would prefer Collins. He is skilled and a more rugged rebounder. There were whispers of him being traded which is why it might be possible that he is a available for the right price
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I wouldn't even considering giving up our #1 for Gordon. I'd be hesitant to trade THJ for him. Pass for me. I'd like Gordon, but he's had a bad year and is at a all time low in value imo.

Goodness gracious, some folks just hate the idea of adding a 3rd-or-4th-best-player-on-a-contending-team. Wouldn't consider giving up our #1 - #20 in a weak draft - for Gordon? What planet are we living on?
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Goodness gracious, some folks just hate the idea of adding a 3rd-or-4th-best-player-on-a-contending-team. Wouldn't consider giving up our #1 - #20 in a weak draft - for Gordon? What planet are we living on?
I mean no offense, but some will not trade Maxi for anything but a superstar.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:47 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Goodness gracious, some folks just hate the idea of adding a 3rd-or-4th-best-player-on-a-contending-team. Wouldn't consider giving up our #1 - #20 in a weak draft - for Gordon? What planet are we living on?

But I assume you recognize that Maxi has far more value to the hope-to-be-contending Mavs than the 20th pick in a weak draft...
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:47 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

But I assume you recognize that Maxi has far more value to the hope-to-be-contending Mavs than the 20th pick in a weak draft...
Depends on the team. Some teams want young guys on value contracts while they're working things out with their team. Others want 29 yo value contracts for good bench players. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Like Reply

I wouldn't mind getting AG, but if D-Lo's cost was a 1st and a 2nd (of course their 1st might be better than ours), who knows what we can get. Just watched him yesterday agains the Knicks. He was a shell of himself. Not sure uncle Rick can fix his offense. He is worth that 1st, but there are some better players we could get using that 1st in the package.

McCollum/Holiday/Vucevic/Turner/Lavine/Bogdanovic/Oubre/Gordon 

Looking at our roster, since we won't have Lee for salary matching, guess it falls on THJ and Wright to trade for a big piece (Powell is not tradeable at this point). THJ + Wright + 1st + 2nd (like Russel's deal) should net us a pretty good player.

Anybody knows anything if we can sign Mirotic? He would be an awesome get.
Like Reply
I would give up THJ bc I think Gordon could be a long-term piece. He is still only 24. The other issue is that the Mavs are in love with max cap space in 2021. Even if you traded off Wright you would not have max cap space with Gordon. I personally would rather have Gordon as the third guy rather than waiting for 2021 but I have a feeling Mavs have their hearts set on Giannis, Holiday or Oladipo. You would have to figure out a way to dump Powell which I don't think will happen for a variety of reasons.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We would likely need to include THJ to match salaries, so I would want Evan and his Fournier back to replace him. 

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS

Don’t get me wrong, I like both parts of your deal.  I think we’d being doing well to just do the Gordon for Pick/Jackson/Wright part.  I’m not sure what Orlando’s motivation is to then also take the more expensive and slightly worse player.
Like Reply
Just an aside on THJ. I think we are all impressed with what he's done this season, but it should be obvious that he needs a specific situation to thrive. He's at his best when he starts and is a 3rd option. He can pinch hit as the second option. I wouldn't mind keeping him long term, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to swallow the pay cut I'd want to give him (about half of what he's making now) or rather, I'm not sure some other team wouldn't offer him more.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 05:51 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: [quote='Scott41theMavs' pid='25994' dateline='1581109286']
We would likely need to include THJ to match salaries, so I would want Evan and his Fournier back to replace him.

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS

Don’t get me wrong, I like both parts of your deal. I think we’d being doing well to just do the Gordon for Pick/Jackson/Wright part. I’m not sure what Orlando’s motivation is to then also take the more expensive and slightly worse player.[/quote]

Thanks. The Gordon for pick/Jackson/Wright deal does not work salary-wise right now, but it might work this summer by virtue of Jackson and Wright's salaries increasing and Gordon's decreasing.

(02-07-2020, 05:16 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: [quote='Scott41theMavs' pid='26005' dateline='1581111233']
McCollum/Holiday/Vucevic/Turner/Lavine/Bogdanovic/Oubre/Gordon.[/font][/size][/color]

I like that list, but I don't think there's any real possibility of Bogdanovich - looks like the Kings cleared room to be able to match any deal, and that that's their plan - and I would prefer Gordon to Holiday (age), Vucevic (fit next to KP), and Lavine (not enough D). McCollum would be great, as possibly would Oubre, and Turner would definitely be superior. I just view Gordon as a very-much souped-up version of Powell that RC could do wonders with.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 06:22 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:51 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We would likely need to include THJ to match salaries, so I would want Evan and his Fournier back to replace him.

Luka/Brunson
Fournier/Curry
DFS/FA
Gordon/Maxi
KP/Powell/WCS

Don’t get me wrong, I like both parts of your deal.  I think we’d being doing well to just do the Gordon for Pick/Jackson/Wright part.  I’m not sure what Orlando’s motivation is to then also take the more expensive and slightly worse player.

Thanks. The Gordon for pick/Jackson/Wright deal does not work salary-wise right now, but it might work this summer by virtue of Jackson and Wright's salaries increasing and Gordon's decreasing.

Yes, it has to be a July deal as the salaries only match then without adding anyone else.  This last summer there were similar deals that were announced in June but couldn’t happen until after the moratorium.  That’s what I’m envisioning here with Orlando then able to tell us who they wish us to draft.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 06:18 PM)cow Wrote: but I'm not sure he'd be willing to swallow the pay cut I'd want to give him (about half of what he's making now)

I don't think you are being realistic here. He is certainly worth more. Over 14 points per game on 40 % 3P, not being a hole on defense and just starting his primer years. I am actually worried he will opt out.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I wouldn't even considering giving up our #1 for Gordon. I'd be hesitant to trade THJ for him. Pass for me. I'd like Gordon, but he's had a bad year and is at a all time low in value imo.

Goodness gracious, some folks just hate the idea of adding a 3rd-or-4th-best-player-on-a-contending-team. Wouldn't consider giving up our #1 - #20 in a weak draft - for Gordon? What planet are we living on?
If we give up our #1 and THJ along with others I don't see how we are better off after the trade. THJ has become a deadly shooter for us. Gordon is not a 3&D player like some have said. He's shooting 30.2% on the year and 31.9% for his career from 3. He's a athletic chucker. Also we can package our #1 and the GSW #2 to move into the teens. I would rather have THJ and a pick in the teens than Gordon and no pick. I don't see how that's so outlandish. I like Gordon as a player and I think he has a lot of upside still, but I think he's being over valued as far as trade value. 

At the beginning of the year I would be 100% on board with this trade, but THJ has completely changed my opinion of him. We can't afford to lose our starting 2 guard that's shooting 39.5% from 3 this year and replace him with a guy that can't shoot.

I would trade our #1 for him, but not with THJ attached.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 06:48 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

If we give up our #1 and THJ along with others I don't see how we are better off after the trade. THJ has become a deadly shooter for us. Gordon is not a 3&D player like some have said. He's shooting 30.2% on the year and 31.9% for his career. He's a athletic chucker. Also we can package our #1 and the GSW #2 to move into the teens. I would rather have THJ and a pick in the teens than Gordon and no pick. I don't see how that's so outlandish. I like Gordon as a player and I think he as a lot of upside still, but I think he's being over valued as far as trade value.

At the beginning of the year I would be 100% on board with this trade, but THJ has completely changed my opinion of him. We can't afford to lose our starting 2 guard that's shooting 39.5% from 3 this year and replace him with a guy that can't shoot.

The original trade I posted has us getting Fournier as well. We also have four other guys on contract for next year with 3p% close to THJ's - Curry, DFS, Maxi, and Wright - with KP's trending up (Brunson's as well, actually).

As I have said, I regard Gordon as a significantly-superior and younger version of Powell (who I regard as a loss, since his game is based on athleticism - he's our 11th man at best when he comes back if our roster is as good as it is now, much less if we add good players). He has no bearing on what happens in the backcourt.

I'm not impressed with the idea of anyone we can draft in the teens of a bad draft, but I sure hope some trade partner like the Magic is.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 06:39 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:18 PM)cow Wrote: but I'm not sure he'd be willing to swallow the pay cut I'd want to give him (about half of what he's making now)

I don't think you are being realistic here. He is certainly worth more. Over 14 points per game on 40 % 3P, not being a hole on defense and just starting his primer years. I am actually worried he will opt out.

I actually thought he was making 20m this year and 22m if he opts in next year.  I was thinking a new contract starting in the 12m range.  I don't think saying he might not take that or that we'd be outbid is unrealistic, that's just the type of contract I'd want to offer him.  Apologies.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 06:58 PM)cow Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 06:39 PM)omahen Wrote:

I actually thought he was making 20m this year and 22m if he opts in next year. I was thinking a new contract starting in the 12m range. I don't think saying he might not take that or that we'd be outbid is unrealistic, that's just the type of contract I'd want to offer him. Apologies.

He won the lottery with that contract. I would offer him a four-year starting at $14 mil. That ought to be movable if needed in 2021.
Like Reply
I would do it differently in the summer.  

Curry+Wright for Fournier SnT (add pick if needed) - convince Fournier to opt out with around 18 per 3-4 year contract. He is the shooter, secondary facilitator we need. Bogdanovic would be back up plan
Jackson for Harkless SnT (I don't expect him to sign at more than 9 mil)
Take Millsap, Gasol, Ibaka, Plumlee or Leonard in MLE
Like Reply