Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market: DAL officially signs MKG | Broekhoff waived
(02-12-2020, 11:14 PM)cow Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 11:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 11:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/dmn_mavericks/status...9279519745

3 and D? Da fuq?

Typo. It should read: 3? and D!

How about, "Wing Powell O and Non-Powell D?"
Like Reply
MKG last year:

34% 3P%
37.2% on catch and shoot threes
41.7% on left corner threes
47.1% on right corner threes
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 11:17 PM)Kammrath Wrote: MKG last year:

34% 3P%

OK, you got my attention...
Like Reply

34% 3P%
Wow I didn't realize he had those kind of numbers. He'll be wide open playing with Luka.
Like Reply
A la Wesley Snipes in Major League, every time MKG takes a non corner three, he owes Carlisle ten push-ups.

Like Reply
Runs like Mays. Hits like Hays.....haha
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 11:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: He'll be wide open playing with Luka.

Basically ALL his threes last year were wide open. He wouldn't shoot if he wasn't wide open.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 11:43 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Basically ALL his threes last year were wide open. He wouldn't shoot if he wasn't wide open.

Time to put him through DFS shooting school
Like Reply
@mcuban tells us “We have internal analytics. What you do when you’re just shooting with coaches and in practice. Are players getting better? WCS shoots over 60% from 3 with coaches. If you can do that consistently, you’re allowed to shoot them in a game.” 

https://twitter.com/McMatt1033/status/12...9662235651
Like Reply
I led a group outing to the game last night and we had floor access during shoot-around...

Based on what I saw WCS is going to find his shot... I know it was basic undefended shooting drills, but he looked to be hitting a high caliber shooting percentage from the elbows, pick and pop -3's AND his FT's.
There is hope for MKG if he can find his spots and not try to do too much.

Side Note: Bobby Jackson was putting Kent Bazemore through the paces in pregame last night. He was working him HARD. He needed a shower between Pre-Game and Opening tip. I recognized Stacey Augmon as well, but couldn't place him until I saw a full list of assistant coaches for Sacto. Augmon is still a super thin specimen but from the surface level observation - Noone works harder than B-Jax
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 01:33 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I led a group outing to the game last night and we had floor access during shoot-around...

Based on what I saw WCS is going to find his shot... I know it was basic undefended shooting drills, but he looked to be hitting a high caliber shooting percentage from the elbows, pick and pop -3's AND his FT's.
There is hope for MKG if he can find his spots and not try to do too much.

Side Note: Bobby Jackson was putting Kent Bazemore through the paces in pregame last night. He was working him HARD. He needed a shower between Pre-Game and Opening tip. I recognized Stacey Augmon as well, but couldn't place him until I saw a full list of assistant coaches for Sacto.  Augmon is still a super thin specimen but from the surface level observation - Noone works harder than B-Jax

FWIW, I've seen Powell hit 20 of 20 corner 3's while getting work in before warm-ups.  I've always thought he'd be better off with less elevation on 3's.  It isn't like he's going to take the shot if anyone is near him anyway.  Maxi and KP shoot basically set shots.  So do lots of other bigs.  Maybe that will be a post injury adjustment.
Like Reply
That's a great point. When you're a big shooting a wide open 3 there's no real benefit to jumping if it doesn't help your shot go in.
Like Reply
I don't care about his shortcomings on offense, we need perimeter D.
However, I keep reading about him being able to defend bigger wings as opposed to DFS, yet their physical measurements are basically the same. What's up with that?
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 05:49 PM)Davevoid Wrote: I don't care about his shortcomings on offense, we need perimeter D.
However, I keep reading about him being able to defend bigger wings as opposed to DFS, yet their physical measurements are basically the same. What's up with that?

DFS is as lanky as it gets. MKG (at least when I last saw him play) has more bulk.
Like Reply

34% 3P%
16/47 overall 
left corner 5/12

Right corner- 8/17 

On such low volume, you can't draw any conclusions on his shooting ability. 

He shot a total of 47 3's last year. That accounts for almost half of ALL 3's he's attempted in his entire 8 year career. MKG is sitting at 28/100 right now in made threes, so he made 16 of his 28 threes he's ever made in 1 season. 

Not saying that MKG can't improve, because I mean hey people improve all the time. But to expect that all MKG needs is just an opportunity to shoot to prove everyone that he can be a valued offensive player is wrong. He's a project that's good on defense. I don't know why you keep pulling out these specified stats that paint the rosiest of roses of MKG on the offensive end. He's a limited offensive role player that we'd be lucky to get 6 points from him every night.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
MKG will play hte 4 next to KP that makes the most since

and then WCS next to Maxi that is you 4 front court playes

Wings DFS, Hardaway CUrry , Wright and Jackson

LUka with Brunson as his back up
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 08:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: On such low volume, you can't draw any conclusions on his shooting ability. 

That's just not true. He was able to make 34% of 47 shots in an NBA game. That tells you SOMETHING. Not nothing.
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 09:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-13-2020, 08:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: On such low volume, you can't draw any conclusions on his shooting ability. 

That's just not true. He was able to make 34% of 47 shots in an NBA game. That tells you SOMETHING. Not nothing.

It tells me that the sample size is incredibly low to draw any definite conclusions about his shooting ability. 47 attempts is pitifully low; it put MKG at 207th in the league that year. 

If you take his entire career, an 8 season sample size, it shows that he is a remarkably sub-par 3pt shooter that had an outlier season if anything. 

Again, not saying that this is the be all end all of MKG as a shooter. It isn't. He has room to grow, and has shown flashes like DFS did 3 years ago. But it will be a mountainous project to get him to be a reliable shooter in today's NBA, and cherry picking stats to build up any expectation of MKG's ability to be an offensive player certainly won't help him. 

Why not praise MKG's incredible defensive ability and show those stats? I know you've posted them once Kamm, so you know just how good of a defender MKG is. And it is a lot easier to find incredible defensive stats of MKG than it is to find commensurate offensive stats.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-13-2020, 10:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Why not praise MKG's incredible defensive ability and show those stats? I know you've posted them once Kamm, so you know just how good of a defender MKG is. And it is a lot easier to find incredible defensive stats of MKG than it is to find commensurate offensive stats.

Because there was a discussion about his shooting going on. It's not that complicated. His defense isn't debatable, his offense is and so we are debating it.
Like Reply
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/maveri...-deadline/

How did the trade deadline go for the Mavs? Cuban: “We tried. We came really, really close on a couple deals. Two really big pieces. They were both three-team deals, and in one case was a trade-and-extend and we couldn’t get the player to agree on terms. And the other piece, one of the teams just decided they didn’t want to trade a key guy to make it happen.”

(02-14-2020, 08:50 AM)WillE Wrote: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/maveri...-deadline/

How did the trade deadline go for the Mavs? Cuban: “We tried. We came really, really close on a couple deals. Two really big pieces. They were both three-team deals, and in one case was a trade-and-extend and we couldn’t get the player to agree on terms. And the other piece, one of the teams just decided they didn’t want to trade a key guy to make it happen.”

I wonder who those players were. The trade-and-expand guy should be Iggy. And if so, I'm happy they didn't give him 30 mil/2y.
Like Reply