Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market: DAL officially signs MKG | Broekhoff waived
Any news? It seemed to me that this needed its own thread.
Like Reply
Purely speculation but Tristan Thompson seems like a prime buyout candidate. 

With Love, Drummond, and Nance, they're paying nearly 90 million to 4 big men. If he is bought out, I hope the Mavs are all over that. He'd be WAY better than WCS
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Not sure how truthful this year, but yesterday the report was Thompson won't be bought out.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 01:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Not sure how truthful this year, but yesterday the report was Thompson won't be bought out.

Think he'd be pretty furious if he was - he wants to keep those Bird rights. Watch for him to be SnT'ed this summer.
Like Reply
Another interesting player would be Evan Turner.

He was a positive in Portland and Boston off the bench. He never lived up to his high draft pick status, but I think he'd certainly be better than Justin Jackson. He can be a ball handler and slasher, and sort of fill the same role Jackson has been providing. It'd mean we'd have to cut someone, and that's the hangup. I doubt the Mavs will waive Jackson to replace him with Turner, as he can be a throw in in a trade.

That leaves Lee, who in all honesty could be getting bought out. But Lee fits better than Turner just from an offense standpoint, so it doesn't make much sense to just switch them out. And Lee has been fitting in very well culturally. 

Taking a step back, it is really really puzzling why the Mavs didn't make any moves on the TDL to at least use Lee's expiring/Trade exception to get anything. At least for a roster spot. 

This writer thinks that Turner is on his way to being bought out and Boston is interested. 
https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/1225093582643658752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1225093582643658752&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcelticswire.usatoday.com%2F2020%2F02%2F05%2Fnba-boston-celtics-evan-turner-buyout-target%2F
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I have very little interest in the buyout market, cause that likely means old folk on cheap contracts that will help us squeeze out 1 1/2 extra games in a first round loss. So they then need to be retained in the summer.

Just work the draft seriously, and I´m happy. Be prepared. Don´t automatically assume that you will trade the pick. We have two good opportunities to find our own 3&D guard in this draft class. I like the looks of Ramsey and Lewis. One of them learns to shoot you got an All-Star. Of course if a guy can´t shoot, when he´s 19 the chances are not so good, but I think Lewis shows great touch and a smoothness in his movement that is intriguing.

Who knows maybe the Mavs already have their eyes on a player in the draft or more likely a serious trade idea for draft night.
Like Reply
Moe Harkless can leave for a contender, if he wants to.

They should work the phones with his agent. He would be perfect, and is a stellar defensive wing. Probably a pipe dream, but he could get plenty of minutes here.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 02:43 PM)sefant Wrote: Moe Harkless can leave for a contender, if he wants to.

They should work the phones with his agent. He would be perfect, and is a stellar defensive wing. Probably a pipe dream, but he could get plenty of minutes here.

I don't know why the Knicks would let the key player they traded Morris for leave in a buyout for no reason.
Like Reply
Do you think Moe Harkless gets bought out? That would be a dream
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 01:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Purely speculation but Tristan Thompson seems like a prime buyout candidate. 

With Love, Drummond, and Nance, they're paying nearly 90 million to 4 big men. If he is bought out, I hope the Mavs are all over that. He'd be WAY better than WCS

Rich Paul said TT doesn't want a buyout because that would result in the Cavs or his new team not having his Bird Rights.

With limited cap space this summer, a free agent might be able to make more money with Bird rights sign and trade.

(02-07-2020, 01:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 01:50 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Not sure how truthful this year, but yesterday the report was Thompson won't be bought out.

Think he'd be pretty furious if he was - he wants to keep those Bird rights. Watch for him to be SnT'ed this summer.
shiiiiiiiiiit
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 03:24 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Rich Paul said TT doesn't want a buyout because that would result in the Cavs or his new team not having his Bird Rights.

With limited cap space this summer, a free agent might be able to make more money with Bird rights sign and trade.

Ah I missed that. Makes a ton of sense to retain bird rights for Thompson. 

Sucks even more now that we didn't think of a WCS/Lee for Thompson trade.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 03:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 02:43 PM)sefant Wrote: Moe Harkless can leave for a contender, if he wants to.

I don't know why the Knicks would let the key player they traded Morris for leave in a buyout for no reason.

LOL Really? Knicks gonna Knick. Regardless, we won't get Harkless. (wow, that rhymed) Too low on the buyout food chain. But he might push someone else worthwhile down to us.

My end-of-Life-of-Brian hope when I'm not kicking rocks is that the Mavs will trade their first and change for Aaron Gordon this summer. The Magic are much more likely to deal him with Isaac back healthy and the ability to get a FA to shore up their rotation.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 03:43 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 03:24 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Rich Paul said TT doesn't want a buyout because that would result in the Cavs or his new team not having his Bird Rights.

Ah I missed that. Makes a ton of sense to retain bird rights for Thompson. 

Sucks even more now that we didn't think of a WCS/Lee for Thompson trade.

Same reason I doubt you see us buying out Lee. His rights could come in handy this summer if we need to salary match a trade
Like Reply
I would put the chance of a S&T Lee at zero percent. I am not sure you can S&T for one year if it's a UFA, someone can fact-check that. Even if you could no one is going to do that. Teams give up picks sometimes to move off guys on their last year, no one wants to pay Lee money just to match salaries. I am not sure if that's even legal since you could do some kind of negotiation where you buyout the player immediately after signing them to get around salary cap rules.

I am pretty sure Lee will get bought out at some point, they might just wait until they find a player they like first otherwise there's no point I guess.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 03:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Do you think Moe Harkless gets bought out? That would be a dream
No idea, Berman from the NY Post wrote it in his article.

Quote:Sources indicated if Harkless, who is in his eighth season, wanted to go to a contender, the Knicks would accomodate him.
Like Reply
(02-07-2020, 04:33 PM)sefant Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 03:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Do you think Moe Harkless gets bought out? That would be a dream
No idea, Berman from the NY Post wrote it in his article.

Quote:Sources indicated if Harkless, who is in his eighth season, wanted to go to a contender, the Knicks would accomodate him.

Key word being contender...
Like Reply
I don't think there is gonna be any more help than we got now to pick up in the buyout market. We've stood pat through the TDL, not sure why a bunch of guys that are not worth keeping on their team is worth adding to ours. Just ride this group out at this point IMO.
Like Reply
I won't hold my breath but if Moe Harkless did bought out that would be an awesome addition if Mavs could get him.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/statu...8950691842
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
If i'm not mistaken TT can still retain early BR despite being waved, if he so chose.
Like Reply