Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market: DAL officially signs MKG | Broekhoff waived
I guess MKG is worth a shot. Broekhoff is a guy I like in theory but I don't know how to use him really other than as another shooter and Mavs already have a bunch of those. I do like his hustle. I wish he was younger but he's pretty much a finished product at his age and that mean's he is a borderline NBA player.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 12:30 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I guess MKG is worth a shot. Broekhoff is a guy I like in theory but I don't know how to use him really other than as another shooter and Mavs already have a bunch of those. I do like his hustle. I wish he was younger but he's pretty much a finished product at his age and that mean's he is a borderline NBA player.

Bro is a one trick pony. He can shoot, but can't do much else.  He'll be no more than a end of the bench guy,  doubt he can be a rotational player unless he improves other areas of his game. MKG has a better overall skill set.  Still wonder why they decided to cut him, with other 2 way players on the roster.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 12:42 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 12:30 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I guess MKG is worth a shot. Broekhoff is a guy I like in theory but I don't know how to use him really other than as another shooter and Mavs already have a bunch of those. I do like his hustle. I wish he was younger but he's pretty much a finished product at his age and that mean's he is a borderline NBA player.

Bro is a one trick pony. He can shoot, but can't do much else. He'll be no more than a end of the bench guy, doubt he can be a rotational player unless he improves other areas of his game. MKG has a better overall skill set. Still wonder why they decided to cut him, with other 2 way players on the roster.

I assume you mean that they should have cut Cleveland and made Bro a 2 way player. Can't replace a 2 way player with a full-fledged roster player.

(02-11-2020, 09:49 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: We won’t but I’d start MKG as “wing Powell”

Attribution, please. That's my phrase.
Like Reply
In theory Bro as a 2-way makes some sense, I wouldn't be completely against the idea except that I don't know if 2-ways are used that often for 29 yr olds. Maybe they should be? Right now they are typically younger players with some upside. Bro might be able to get a vet-min deal somewhere. I have a feeling Mavs shopped him at the TDL and saw no takers. Good dude and I like his hustle but not really what the Mavs needs. Lee ironically is still a more useful, well-rounded player even at 34 years old. I am not positive they buy him out at this point. The Maurice Harkless situation is pretty interesting, I would definitely bring him in at the expense of Lee should he become available. If that does happen I wonder why Mavs wouldn't have given up a 2nd round pick to make sure they get him.
Like Reply
Let's say Mo Harkless becomes available...

The Mavs make an offer and he accepts, what then?

a) Mavs waive Lee
b) Mavs waive Jackson
c) Mavs waive Barea
d) Mavs waive MKG
e) Mavs waive (other): _____________________

I think this might be a non-practical exercise - in that as long as Dallas seems to be in line to sign Mo, NY might just play it out to keep him away from Dallas. Dolan gonna Dolan, never able to put what is best for the franchise ahead of his own pettiness.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 03:40 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Let's say Mo Harkless becomes available...

The Mavs make an offer and he accepts, what then?

a) Mavs waive Lee
b) Mavs waive Jackson
c) Mavs waive Barea
d) Mavs waive MKG
e) Mavs waive (other): _____________________

I think this might be a non-practical exercise - in that as long as Dallas seems to be in line to sign Mo, NY might just play it out to keep him away from Dallas. Dolan gonna Dolan, never able to put what is best for the franchise ahead of his own pettiness.
Lee because Jackson has another season on his contract, so there's still hope he can return to a form that is at least somewhat of an asset.

Lee will be out of the league or a minimum salary guy next year, so there's not much hope of even turning his Bird Rights into something. 

Maybe there's a chance, assuming this is cap legal, of S&T'ing him to a contract of some amount higher than the minimum for 3+ years with team options after the first year in order to take back a salary that another team doesn't want.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...3235497984

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...7212512259

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...8610992134

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/12...7986029571
Like Reply
My lead thought about MKG: He's a blue chip reclamation project who can roll to the basket. 

That get's me excited. Rick does alright with those.
Like Reply
Just not sure how many minutes he will get if he can't shoot at all.
Will be happy if he can help the team but will wait and see.

Seems like a weird addition if all they will be doing is helping him improve his free-agency stock.

Harkless would at least help now.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 06:12 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Just not sure how many minutes he will get if he can't shoot at all.

Seems like a weird addition if all they will be doing is helping him improve his free-agency stock.

Harkless isn't even bought out yet, and its probably up to him to push for a buyout. He is from NY. Maybe he doesn't want a buyout.

Looks to me more 50/50. He might stay with the Knicks for the rest of the season.
Like Reply
This is big. MKG is gonna stick around here for a while I think. He immediately comes in as our best defender. Hopefully Rick can fix his jumpshot, that would be an insane steal.

I’m a little surprised it was Bro. Bro helps us win now way more than Jackson, and arguably is a wash with Lee (who has only gotten minutes when Luka has been injured)

(02-11-2020, 06:12 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Just not sure how many minutes he will get if he can't shoot at all.

we can always waive lee or jackson if he ends up being bought out.
Like Reply
Rick will use him as a 4. He is a modern day 4.
Like Reply
How many minutes do people expect him to get?
I mean after he has had time to settle in, say 5 games after the all-star break.

If he couldn't play for Charlotte then I have set my expectations really low.

Once Luka is back I am just not sure where minutes will be available for MKG.

Swapping situational defense for offense I guess
Mavs have plenty of shooters but lack strong defenders so could help a bit.
With all the close losses maybe a little change can get some more wins
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 06:35 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Once Luka is back I am just not sure where minutes will be available for MKG.

Powell averaged 26 minutes per game, and WCS has picked up about half of them so far.  Jackson has averaged 16 and is a prime candidate to lose time.  And Broekhoff's situational minutes are also up for grabs.  If MKG can defend like we think he can, I really don't think minutes will be a problem.
Like Reply
Just because he didn’t get minutes in Charlotte doesn’t mean he is bad. Infact it excuses his lack of minutes to a degree. Incompetent franchises can’tbe expected to make smart decisions. Thats how you find steals because bad teams aren’t good at maximizing a player’s skills and ability, or at player development.
Like Reply
From RealGM: 

[...] Easy to forget that rookie of the month award right at the start of the year, playing center in the Rising Stars game, and ending up on the All-Rookie 2nd team (have we had anyone make that team since?). I didn't like the pick initially, but he really grew on me through his tenacity and fearless style of play.

Was certainly time to move on, but I really don't get the vitriol. Even without a jumpshot, he was undeniably an impact player who's willingness to literally risk limb for this team likely had an adverse effect on his career trajectory.

So best of luck to him, hopefully Dallas makes some noise in the west playoffs. [...]

Apparently he hasn't been the same  since the shoulder separation back in 2016.
Like Reply
(02-10-2020, 11:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 11:45 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Damn why waive Bro? Barea or Lee should go.

Loyal to a fault. Barea should have retired after the injury but I guess he wanted to make one last comeback.
I like that the Mavs don´t throw injured or declining Mavs heroes like JJB under the bus but at some point they have to move on.

I don't understand this Barea take at all. He has contributed well when he has played. Doesn't look any worse than last year pre-injury to me. He's more reliable than Brunson, and I say that as someone whom Brunson has won back over to his camp.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 12:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 12:42 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:

Bro is a one trick pony. He can shoot, but can't do much else.  He'll be no more than a end of the bench guy,  doubt he can be a rotational player unless he improves other areas of his game. MKG has a better overall skill set.  Still wonder why they decided to cut him, with other 2 way players on the roster.

I assume you mean that they should have cut Cleveland and made Bro a 2 way player. Can't replace a 2 way player with a full-fledged roster player.

(02-11-2020, 09:49 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: We won’t but I’d start MKG as “wing Powell”

Attribution, please. That's my phrase.

Oh, ok. Didn't know the rules. I would have let Cleveland go instead.
Like Reply
My hope is that mkg plays defense so well that he embarrasses the rest of the team and forces the rest of the players to step up and play better.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 11:00 PM)bin610 Wrote: My hope is that mkg plays defense so well that he embarrasses the rest of the team and forces the rest of the players to step up and play better.

Besides MKG, WCS, KP, DFS, Maxi, THJ, Seth (good at staying in front of his man and thus effective if there isn't a ridiculous size difference, like the switches again Bojan last night), and Wright are all potentially really good defensive players. That's eight of what should be their ten-man rotation, and you could throw in Brunson if you believe in DRPM (in which he's more than respectable, beating the crap out of the eye test). They just have to do it - hopefully with a new and non-brain-dead defensive assistant coach next year.

I hope the rotation is something like this:

KP (24)/WCS (24)
MKG (12)/Maxi (28)/KP (8)
DFS (28)/MKG (8)/Wright (12)
THJ (25)/Curry (17)/Wright (6)
Luka (32)/Curry (6)/Brunson (10)

...with Barea and Bobi getting spot duty here and there. No need for Lee or Justin to get minutes if MKG works out.

Luka (32)
KP (32)
Maxi (28)
DFS (28)
THJ (25)
WCS (24)
Curry (23)
MKG (20)
Wright (18)
Brunson (10)

I know I'm dreamin' giving WCS that many minutes, but it's the best way to avoid small ball. Likely Brunson playing more like 16-18 at the point pushes Curry to play more minutes at the two, THJ stays at 29 or so, pushing Wright to play far more as the small ball three, with DFS taking KP's four minutes and Maxi playing the minutes WCS loses at the five. Same small-ball crap that we've seen post-Powell injury. But no apologies for the MKG minutes. We have a team full of outside shooters. They need to try him in that wing Powell role.
Like Reply