Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market: DAL officially signs MKG | Broekhoff waived
(02-09-2020, 01:50 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 01:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: MKG is a negative offensive player.

On/off offensive impact:
2019-20: -0.9
2018-19: -4.4
2017-18: +2.2
2016-17: -0.6
2015-16: +4.4
2014-15: +3.1
2013-14: -0.5
2012-13: +3.3

He has been a positive 4 years, a negative 4 years. He is not as much of an anchor as people imagine.

Can I ask where you're getting these numbers? Not seeing these in basketball reference.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 02:17 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Can I ask where you're getting these numbers? Not seeing these in basketball reference.

https://stats.nba.com/team/1610612766/on...t-summary/
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 03:02 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Who gets waived, Lee or Broekhoff?

I'd love to waive A. Cleveland and have MKG sign a two way contract with the word to sign him next season to a regular contract. 

That would be an ultimate teamplayer move as we could keep the gang together and get MKG as well. Wonder if he would sacrifice the money though.
Like Reply
Can’t sign 2 ways any more this season.

I think it is too avoid this type of situation where a team can try and get around the veteran minimum salary.

Can still do 10 day deals I believe.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 03:39 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Can’t sign 2 ways any more this season.

I think it is too avoid this type of situation where a team can try and get around the veteran minimum salary.

Can still do 10 day deals I believe.

Too bad but makes perfectly sense...
Like Reply

On/off offensive impact:
2015-16: +4.4

He has been a positive 4 years, a negative 4 years. He is not as much of an anchor as people imagine.

Maybe negative offensive player was too broad a term. MKG is pretty good at 2 pointers. He's good at slashing. Thats the only reason why he's stayed in the league.

Where he kills his teams offense is his spacing, or lack thereof. MKG is one of the worst shooters of all time. His shot is broken beyond repair. Now is it such a big deal that he can't shoot? Well it depends. The Warriors have done just fine with Draymond, but he's been paired with 3 of the best offensive players of all time. 

The Mavs don't have that kind of pedigree. But we do boast some incredible spacing, with 2 unique lethal offensive players surrounded by knock down shooters. I think adding MKG to this team is a good move, but it's not because of how he'll help the offense. I think he'll overall limit what the offense can do when he's out there, similarly to how DFS limited the offense before he became a somewhat consistent shooter. It didn't kill the Mavs when DFS wasn't that good on offense (tbh they weren't really trying to win anyhow), and I don't think it'd kill the Mavs with MKG.

So don't get me wrong. I'm on team "add MKG", but lets not try and paint a picture that the Mavs would be adding a player that is even remotely good on offense.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
They wouldn’t want him if they didn’t think they can fix him. Maybe they think it’s his broken shot. (Dude can hit FTs, so that’s something.) Or maybe they think he can rim roll. (Long arms and athleticism.) Sure would be nice to have a quick guy with enough beef to man up on LeBron and Kawhi.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 04:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

On/off offensive impact:
2015-16: +4.4

Maybe negative offensive player was too broad a term. MKG is pretty good at 2 pointers. He's good at slashing. Thats the only reason why he's stayed in the league.

Where he kills his teams offense is his spacing, or lack thereof. MKG is one of the worst shooters of all time. His shot is broken beyond repair. Now is it such a big deal that he can't shoot? Well it depends. The Warriors have done just fine with Draymond, but he's been paired with 3 of the best offensive players of all time.

The Mavs don't have that kind of pedigree. But we do boast some incredible spacing, with 2 unique lethal offensive players surrounded by knock down shooters. I think adding MKG to this team is a good move, but it's not because of how he'll help the offense. I think he'll overall limit what the offense can do when he's out there, similarly to how DFS limited the offense before he became a somewhat consistent shooter. It didn't kill the Mavs when DFS wasn't that good on offense (tbh they weren't really trying to win anyhow), and I don't think it'd kill the Mavs with MKG.

So don't get me wrong. I'm on team "add MKG", but lets not try and paint a picture that the Mavs would be adding a player that is even remotely good on offense.

This is why I think his role should be "wing Powell."
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 04:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 04:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

On/off offensive impact:
2015-16: +4.4

This is why I think his role should be "wing Powell."

Perfect comparison.
Like Reply
2006 we had Adrian Griffin and Marquis. 2011 DeSteve(shot 3s well some years but generally very inconsistent). Team can hide a below average offensive player. Give me some wing defenders with size. We have 3 pt offense on the team.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 06:49 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: 2006 we had Adrian Griffin and Marquis. 2011 DeSteve(shot 3s well some years but generally very inconsistent). Team can hide a below average offensive player.  Give me some wing defenders with size. We have 3 pt offense on the team.

I mean the league was completely different in 06. Chances are Griffin and Daniels wouldn't be on an NBA team if they submitted for the draft.

(02-09-2020, 04:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This is why I think his role should be "wing Powell."

I mean it's intriguing to think of MKG as a roll man and play the "5" in the offense, with  KP playing a different role. But I don't know how it'd work. Carlisle has never paired a small ball 5 with a 7'3 player. I don't know how good it'd work.

Honestly I just want MKG to play the role Shawn Marion played in 2012, when he was past his good days on offense. He got timely rebounds and played great D.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1226666017193168897
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1226710696622206976
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
If the Lakers add Waiters and he singlehandedly ruins the locker room chemistry I'd laugh so hard.

On the other hand, I feel like the Lakers are the one place Waiters would get the perfect balance of authority and freedom to be himself. So it'd probably work out...

I hate the Lakers.
Like Reply
What about Tyler Johnson?
Like Reply
(02-10-2020, 12:12 AM)haveitall Wrote: What about Tyler Johnson?

I wonder why PHX just waived him.

In any case, he isn't any better than Brunson/Wright/Curry. And the last thing this team needs is another guard.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 04:12 PM)Jommybone Wrote: They wouldn’t want him if they didn’t think they can fix him. Maybe they think it’s his broken shot. (Dude can hit FTs, so that’s something.) Or maybe they think he can rim roll. (Long arms and athleticism.) Sure would be nice to have a quick guy with enough beef to man up on LeBron and Kawhi.
Not sure it´s about fixing him first. Probably just about the best possible defensive upgrade and a short-term fix, that might develop into something more. These are the kind of tryouts that make sense.

Broekhoff and Lee just have no long-term value, so use their roster slot to test players that might. Fair point to argue that Jackson with his 39/30/85 and little in terms of rebounding/assisting is the worst of the bunch, but he´s got 1.5 years left.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 11:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: On the other hand, I feel like the Lakers are the one place Waiters would get the perfect balance of authority and freedom to be himself. So it'd probably work out...

Exactly. Even if he continous his shenanigans, he would be cut immediately, before he could do any real damage.

(02-10-2020, 01:36 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Fair point to argue that Jackson with his 39/30/85 and little in terms of rebounding/assisting is the worst of the bunch

I see no way Mavs waive Jackson. He still has value and he can still get out of his slump. As I said before - he is the only player on Mavs that is playing out of his natural role. He has to play the PF which he clearly is not. It's like THJ would be played of the bench. Everyone here would want to waive him the way he played. 
 Just to be clear, I am not blaiming RC for the situation. It's just the way the roster is constructed that they don't have room at back up SF. Especially since DFS has been so great.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 04:10 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I think it is Lee on the way out the door. That is part of why we played him last night though it could have been to see if he was ready to help us for the playoff run before we let him go. This is Dallas being good to players and their agents again. It is a good thing that may actually work for us once in a while. From Lee's perspective, if we or someone else , with playoff hopes, picks him up and plays him, he would be getting what he wants.

There is a possibility that RC played JJ a lot to see if he could develop him into a serviceable rotation player, and that experiment has come to an end. 

It's also possible that Lee didn't get much burn for several reasons. First, he was a known quantity. We knew he was a decent shooter and defender. Second, he wasn't in our future plans, and we hoped to move him for something else before the TDL. Third, before Luka went down, we had too many guards. 

I'm wondering if now that we're starting to fall in the standings, and we've realized that JJ isn't going to become a rotation player (this year at least), that RC is working Lee into the rotation to have him ready for the playoffs, since we have to pay him anyway. 

Maybe a bit grassy knoll for some, but it could be the case.
Like Reply
Stephen Silas coached MKG in Charlotte.  If that was mentioned before, sorry I did not see it.
Like Reply