Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market: DAL officially signs MKG | Broekhoff waived
(02-08-2020, 02:21 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I like MKG. I don't know if he's better for this team than Lee though. Just chemistry wise and shooting wise.

We desperately need another defender. I honestly think Jackson is super expendable right now. Wish we could've swung a deal for MKG+2nd rounder for Jackson.

(02-08-2020, 02:04 PM)omahen Wrote: Omg, how deep you have fallen. Everyone celebrating MKG signing like best move ever. Guy played 12 minutes whole season for mediocre Charlotte...

MKG isn't a game changer, but he's exactly what this team needs. He's a versatile defender that never really found a role in Charlotte. He was compared as a Draymond-lite when Charlotte was stringing together wins 2 years ago. 

I'd be happy to have him, and celebrate that the Mavs potentially found another wing defender. I wouldn't be over the moon however. We need to create a roster spot. That means 1 of Lee/Jackson/Boban is on the way out. And I don't think MKG is significantly better than any of those players individually. 

Really makes you wonder why the Mavs made zero deals (not counting the willy one) before the TDL.

(02-08-2020, 01:03 PM)Tyler Wrote: The measurable benefit of patience:

Don't see how patience plays a role here. Mavs would need to waive someone. So they're essentially "trading" whoever they waive for MKG. They're not getting him for free. If they had a roster spot open then there is an obvious benefit for patience. This isn't it though.

Glad you said it about Jackson.  Lee's a few spots above several players on this team right now.

(02-08-2020, 01:45 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1226203014899412992

https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/1226217009186250752

FUN FACT:

MKG is YOUNGER than DFS.

You could have made money off me with that fact.  lol
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 02:04 PM)omahen Wrote: Omg, how deep you have fallen. Everyone celebrating MKG signing like best move ever. Guy played 12 minutes whole season for mediocre Charlotte...

Well it can´t hurt, but it feels a bit Yogi Ferrell-ish. Cuban trying to lecture teams on how to build a contender, while shopping at the scrap heap. Then in three months he´ll thrown away the 17th pick, because he makes too much guaranteed money.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 02:04 PM)omahen Wrote: Everyone celebrating MKG signing like best move ever.

That is not what is happening. BUT he is a player with legitimate SIZE, LENGTH, and DEFENSE for an NBA wing. The Mavs need this desperately. He is also coming for "free."

This is a great opportunity for him to rehab his career. Will he? No one knows. But it isn't wrong to have hope. He has been one of the best wing defenders in the whole NBA during his eight year career. 

His raw on/off defensive impact:
2019-20 (small sample size alert): +19.3
2018-19: +4.9 
2017-18: +1.2
2016-17: +2.9
2015-16: +7.4
2014-15: +7.9
2013-14: +2.7
2012-13: +2.4

He was also a top 5 wing defender in 2018-19 with +1.92 DRAYMOND rating. 
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-better-way-to-evaluate-nba-defense/
Like Reply
Who gets waived, Lee or Broekhoff?
Like Reply
MKG: 6' 7.5" with 7' 0" wingspan

Draymond: 6' 7.5" with 7' 1.25" wingspan

https://twitter.com/presidual/status/122...0986515456

https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1226237120584523779

https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1226238712624930823
Like Reply
I think it is Lee on the way out the door. That is part of why we played him last night though it could have been to see if he was ready to help us for the playoff run before we let him go. This is Dallas being good to players and their agents again. It is a good thing that may actually work for us once in a while. From Lee's perspective, if we or someone else , with playoff hopes, picks him up and plays him, he would be getting what he wants.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
I have no idea if this helps but churning the end of the bench can't hurt.  I like Bro just cause and maybe Lee can get on with someone else.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 04:10 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I think it is Lee on the way out the door..

That would be surprising to me as Lee and MKG are almost a dollar for dollar swap.  If Charlotte is going to cut someone, I would think it is just as easy to cut Lee for a few dollars less.  Maybe the fear is no one would sign Lee which means no offset to the buyout (too lazy to look that up, but I think cost of any buyout is offset by new salary).  Even then, the difference could have been made up with the writing of a check.

The reason I bring this up is if we get MKG by trade, we have Bird Rights.  As is, assuming this happens, they have to use an exception to re-sign him if they want to keep him for anything more than the Vet Minimum this summer.
Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 05:50 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 04:10 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I think it is Lee on the way out the door..

That would be surprising to me as Lee and MKG are almost a dollar for dollar swap.  If Charlotte is going to cut someone, I would think it is just as easy to cut Lee for a few dollars less.  Maybe the fear is no one would sign Lee which means no offset to the buyout (too lazy to look that up, but I think cost of any buyout is offset by new salary).  Even then, the difference could have been made up with the writing of a check.

The reason I bring this up is if we get MKG by trade, we have Bird Rights.  As is, assuming this happens, they have to use an exception to re-sign him if they want to keep him for anything more than the Vet Minimum this summer.

Interesting points I had not thought about. The announcers in Charlotte sure seemed to like MKG. Of course they like Courtney Lee as well because he played well for Charlotte when he was there. 
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
I guess Rick is trying out Lee these last 3 games and that will determine if they pick up a waived FA. He also might be making the statement that Lee is working toward being in the playoff rotation as the 4th-5th guard...

Or it could be that Lee is getting minutes because Luka is out; and when he comes back the plan is to cut Lee and replace him with MKG as a depth SF.

I usually have an idea of what motives Rick is processing, but Lee's play combined with the MKG reports leave me questioning everything.

We might get a good idea when Luka returns and somebody doesn't get to dress.
Like Reply
If Rick can fix that jumpshot, MKG will be a huge steal. It will also mean Rick is the best shooting coach of all time haha

(02-08-2020, 03:02 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Who gets waived, Lee or Broekhoff?

definitely Lee, Bro has been ballin recently
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 02:53 AM)Baller AI Wrote: If Rick can fix that jumpshot, MKG will be a huge steal. It will also mean Rick is the best shooting coach of all time haha

Rick is not the shooting coach.

Besides fixing MKG´s shot is easy. We just tell him to put his body and one hand behind the ball, when shooting it. Big Grin

[Image: michael_kidd_gilchrist_1002141_ftr_getty...u1o3.0.jpg]
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 01:45 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I guess Rick is trying out Lee these last 3 games and that will determine if they pick up a waived FA. He also might be making the statement that Lee is working toward being in the playoff rotation as the 4th-5th guard...

Or it could be that Lee is getting minutes because Luka is out; and when he comes back the plan is to cut Lee and replace him with MKG as a depth SF.

I usually have an idea of what motives Rick is processing, but Lee's play combined with the MKG reports leave me questioning everything.

We might get a good idea when Luka returns and somebody doesn't get to dress.

Lee played last night because he is better at basketball than Justin. It's not rocket science.
Like Reply
Lee > Bro > Jackson right now as far as on court impact. But I feel like Jackson may have some trade value in this offseason as a cost controlled wing fill-in. I wonder who would get cut
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 11:51 AM)matt6715 Wrote: Lee > Bro > Jackson right now as far as on court impact. But I feel like Jackson may have some trade value in this offseason as a cost controlled wing fill-in. I wonder who would get cut

Maybe as a wing fill-in for a tanking team...
Like Reply
We also had shawn marion on the team lol. Seemed to work out well enough.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 12:31 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: We also had shawn marion on the team lol. Seemed to work out well enough.
The Matrix could at least shoot. 

Plus he was an incredible slasher/rebounder. 

MKG is a negative offensive player. Thankfully we don't need more offense. 

Jackson put up another forgettable game last night in Charlotte. I would instantly take Bro and Lee over him right now. But something just doesn't feel right waiving a young player with 2 years left on his contract for a buyout guy. 

It should be Jackson getting waived, but I feel like it's going to end up being Ryan from Accounting.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 01:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 12:31 PM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: We also had shawn marion on the team lol. Seemed to work out well enough.
The Matrix could at least shoot. 

Plus he was an incredible slasher/rebounder. 

MKG is a negative offensive player. Thankfully we don't need more offense. 

Jackson put up another forgettable game last night in Charlotte. I would instantly take Bro and Lee over him right now. But something just doesn't feel right waiving a young player with 2 years left on his contract for a buyout guy. 

It should be Jackson getting waived, but I feel like it's going to end up being Ryan from Accounting.

At $5M he´s also useful for trade matching purposes, whether by himself or in a package.
Like Reply
Shoot? What year are we talking about? Neither player shoots more than a 3 a game--Marion even less so. Both are hovering around 50% in terms of overall FG% and eFG% if you believe in that. Both make their living around the basket so i wouldn't retcon Marion's three-point shooting as something more than what it was. I don't think either player was expected to be nothing more than serviceable and if MKG could be nothing more than a slasher, defender and occasional 3 point taker, i can't see him being any less effective as Powell is on a nightly basis.  And i know how we all cringe when he launches from distance--key word 'launch'.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 01:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: MKG is a negative offensive player.

On/off offensive impact:
2019-20: -0.9
2018-19: -4.4
2017-18: +2.2
2016-17: -0.6
2015-16: +4.4
2014-15: +3.1
2013-14: -0.5
2012-13: +3.3

He has been a positive 4 years, a negative 4 years. He is not as much of an anchor as people imagine.
Like Reply