Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: RoCo to HOU | Capela to ATL | ATL 1st to MIN | HOU 1st to DEN
(02-05-2020, 01:04 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Is going from Beasley, and Hernangomez to Napier, Bates and Vonleh an upgrade?
Get a late first as well I guess.

They were going to lose Beasley after the season. Might as well get something for him. Don't know if that's the case with Hernangomez. Beasley's minutes was blocked by Denver's wing depth, and the emergence of Porter Jr. He'll get plenty of minutes in Minny.  Beasley is a nice player.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 02:09 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:04 AM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Is going from Beasley, and Hernangomez to Napier, Bates and Vonleh an upgrade?
Get a late first as well I guess.

They were going to lose Beasley after the season. Might as well get something for him. Don't know if that's the case with Hernangomez. Beasley's minutes was blocked by Denver's wing depth, and the emergence of Porter Jr. He'll get plenty of minutes in Minny.  Beasley is a nice player.

They also have to pay them, and Beasley/Wiggins now kinda blocks Okogie/Culver. Maybe sniff around that again. Could also be prep work for the Russell trade, if GS prefers picks and younger talent.

Atlanta got a nice center. Not sure it moves the needle that much for the other teams. Denver got Bates and Vonleh on cheap contracts and a 1st. Guess that´s better than losing them for nothing. Maybe the 1st will be an asset in a Harris for Holiday swap.

All in all this feels like it was just a first step for a few of the teams involved. Atlanta is probably done and this helps them to stay ahead of the Warriors, so good.

Rockets are all-in on the small ball thing. Everybody else downsized a bit and Morey said challenge accepted.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 01:42 AM)omahen Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Iggy seems like it makes the most sense, if he'd even want to come here.

It doesn't for me. We are not in a win now mode and Iggy doesn't make us a contender, imho. I would go after Morris, however his price probably just skyrocketted after they saw what Minny gor for RoCo.
Luka is averaging nearly a 30 point triple double. We have the 2nd star and a good cast of role players around him on cheap contracts.

We're currently on a 50+ win pace. What about any of this is not screaming "Win now"? We should be trying to win every year. And now is the most wide open it's ever been.

Iggy provides something Morris does not. A winning/proven track record. 3 rings, and Iggy is a former Finals MVP (Steph should've won but he still got it for a reason. He was also a class above Morris has ever been.  He was a bonafide star on Denver, and was an electric player in Philly. Someone with that kind of experience next to Luka and KP, to teach them the ropes, is exactly what we need. 

And thats before going into the knuckleheadedness of Morris. Dude assaults people, is sexist, and thinks he's better than he is.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 02:29 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 01:34 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Iggy seems like it makes the most sense, if he'd even want to come here.

It doesn't for me. We are not in a win now mode and Iggy doesn't make us a contender, imho. I would go after Morris, however his price probably just skyrocketted after they saw what Minny gor for RoCo.
Luka is averaging nearly a 30 point triple double. We have the 2nd star and a good cast of role players around him on cheap contracts.

We're currently on a 50+ win pace. What about any of this is not screaming "Win now"? We should be trying to win every year. And now is the most wide open it's ever been.

Iggy provides something Morris does not. A winning/proven track record. 3 rings, and Iggy is a former Finals MVP (Steph should've won but he still got it for a reason. He was also a class above Morris has ever been.  He was a bonafide star on Denver, and was an electric player in Philly. Someone with that kind of experience next to Luka and KP, to teach them the ropes, is exactly what we need. 

And thats before going into the knuckleheadedness of Morris. Dude assaults people, is sexist, and thinks he's better than he is.

Hasn´t played basketball in a year, proven track record as a winner, League finals MVP, four championships, Olymic gold medal.

I say we just sign Ginobili instead. Big Grin

I´m cheering hard for the Grizzlies cutting Igoudala one day after the play-off deadline. That´s what he deserves. I´m Memphis I´ll also make the LA teams bleed. Let´s see how much Iggy is really worth to them. They only want him for free on the minimum salary.
Like Reply
Imagine being the GM that takes over once Morey is fired.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...7068813313
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Don´t think the Rockets will get any better but it sucks that they always end up with players that I wanted to see in a Mavs jersey.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 07:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t think the Rockets will get any better but it sucks that they always end up with players that I wanted to see in a Mavs jersey.
Agree, I am glad Capela is out of Houston.  RoCo is good but not sure about this for Houston.  Morey must think he can find a center for cheap.  Also glad Boston did not get Capela.
Like Reply
Keep telling y'all centers are devalued. As good as Capela is he is a lot more useful for Atlanta. I suspect Houston will get a center with their trade exception.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...8681542658
Like Reply
My Grades:

HOU: C-. Trading Capela and a 1st for RoCo seems like an overpay. They didn't even get a rotation player in return? Yikes (Of course they can add the 12M guy woj talked about). Teams might stop doubling Harden, cause now it's RoCo, Tucker, Gordon taking the wide open shots.

Traded = Capela, Green, Nene, HOU 2020 1st.
Received = RoCo, Bell, 2024 GSW 2nd.

MIN: B+. Great value for RoCo. Probably finds a starter in Beasley, and a nice rotation piece. Might add D-Lo in the summer when they know where they will pick. Not sure giving up Napier and KBD was needed.
Traded = KBD, Vonleh, Napier, RoCo, Bell.
Received = Beasley, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt, Turner, BRO 2020 1st.

ATL: A. Got their future 5 locked up in a good contract and gave up a non lottery pick, well done. Might mess with their tanking (not sure when Capela will return). Can Focus on SG/SF in free agency.
Traded = 2024 GSW 2nd, Turner, 2020 BRO 1st.
Received = Capela, Nene.

DEN: B. Maybe this pick is part of something bigger, but right now I think they could've gotten more for their guys (at least one more 2nd). Bench gets a little weaker without Beasley.
Traded = Beasley, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt,
Received = HOU 2020 1st, Napier, KBD, Vonleh, Green.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/stat...4091686913
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 08:09 AM)Hypermav Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 07:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t think the Rockets will get any better but it sucks that they always end up with players that I wanted to see in a Mavs jersey.
Agree, I am glad Capela is out of Houston.  RoCo is good but not sure about this for Houston.  Morey must think he can find a center for cheap.  Also glad Boston did not get Capela.
I'm also glad to see him gone. HOU small ball seems like a group-think based on a limited sample size. It's been effective a couple of times when nobody was really prepared for it, but longer term I think it will be limited. 

I like RoCo's game and I wish he'd gotten to DAL, but the problem in HOU is there is only one ball active at a time and Hardin+Westbrook (Harbrook?) is going to want their glory of combining for 60-70 points/game. That doesn't leave much air for everybody else's game.

I know guys will (sometimes) take a lesser role on a contender to get their ring, but IMO Houston is not that team. Interesting to see how this plays out this season and this summer.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 08:09 AM)Hypermav Wrote:

If Boston had gotten Capela, might have changed things in the East.
Like Reply

No idea how plugged in Townsend is but he was on the radio last night. He said he spoke to several Mavs sources that view the current situation as Dirk’s early years. You dont go from a 30 win team to a contender in one year. Mavs want to see how things evolve over the next year and a half and let the young roster play with each other. They’ll be “opportunistic” but are not looking to make win now moves.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 10:23 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: They’ll be “opportunistic” but are not looking to make win now moves.

Sounds reasonable. It would be still wise to get some assets for Lee/TE though. And I hope they will give the new guys chance to play next year, which will certainly be a problem with all the rotation players. New guys being 2020 1st rounder, 2020 GSW2nd and Reeves. Three (hopefully) rotation worthy players you would like to plug in.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225072187276775425

(02-05-2020, 10:23 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:

No idea how plugged in Townsend is but he was on the radio last night. He said he spoke to several Mavs sources that view the current situation as Dirk’s early years. You dont go from a 30 win team to a contender in one year. Mavs want to see how things evolve over the next year and a half and let the young roster play with each other. They’ll be “opportunistic” but are not looking to make win now moves.
Townsend is more plugged in than all the other local writers IMO...
Like Reply
The more I think about it, the more I want the Mavs to keep the Golden State pick and ride it out. Having two picks between 20 and 35 can be great ammo for a draft day deal, or simply make the picks and try to find some cost-controlled contibutors. Whenever drafts are labelled "weak", that usually means there is value to be found further back because everyone is flattened out. I always think about Jokic and Gobert who were products of "weak" drafts. If you scout properly you can hit on an impact guy.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...1326864384
Like Reply
Morey essentially said on a Bill Simmons podcast at the start of the season that he thinks the future of basketball is without a center.  Teams will just put their 5 best players on the floor and figure it out.   He's walking the walk.

(02-05-2020, 10:54 AM)matt6715 Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I want the Mavs to keep the Golden State pick and ride it out.  Having two picks between 20 and 35 can be great ammo for a draft day deal, or simply make the picks and try to find some cost-controlled contibutors.  Whenever drafts are labelled "weak", that usually means there is value to be found further back because everyone is flattened out.  I always think about Jokic and Gobert who were products of "weak" drafts.  If you scout properly you can hit on an impact guy.

Trade the Lee expiring for Marvin Williams, and I'm good.   There isn't a trade out there that puts us ahead of the Lakers or Bucks, and there's more way more buyers than sellers at this deadline over-inflating the cost of talent.   Save all trade and draft capital for the offseason. That Warriors 2nd round pick isn't something you throw away out of desperation. Trading back from the 37th pick for 2 future seconds that landed Delon Wright and Willie Cauley Stein.
Like Reply