Poll: Which player would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Player A - 6’ 7” - 209 LBS - 3D Wing 28 MIN - 44% FG% - 35% 3PT% - 5.4 REB - 1.1 AST - 12.6 PTS - $11.3 MILLION
23.33%
7 23.33%
Player B - 6’ 7” - 220 LBS - 3D Wing 28 MIN - 46% FG% - 35% 3PT% - 5.2 REB - 1.2 AST - 8.5 PTS - $4 MILLION
76.67%
23 76.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DoDo on the rise: Who's better than RoCo?
He’s playing with a ton of confidence right now. Great to see.
Like Reply
(02-02-2020, 09:51 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: He’s playing with a ton of confidence right now. Great to see.

I almost feel bad for him from the standpoint of his contract being a screwjob on him based on his current production. Still, it was a fair contract for the Mavs to offer him this summer, and very sporting of him to take it. Glad he's a Mav. Would only trade him for a clear starter.
Like Reply
By starter, you mean if on any given night he could defend the opponents best scorer, while scoring 15-20 PTS on almost 40% 3PT% - 8-10 REB - 3-4 AST - 2-3 BLK+STL - and less than 1 TO ???

DFS is an NBA starter. He’s 26 and getting better. Why in the world people want to dog the kid is beyond me.
Like Reply
(02-02-2020, 12:24 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: By starter, you mean if on any given night he could defend the opponents best scorer, while scoring 15-20 PTS - 8-10 REB - 3-4 AST - 2-3 BLK+STL - and less than 1 TO ???

DFS is an NBA starter. He’s 26 and getting better. Why in the world people want to dog the kid is beyond me.

This. We need more players that can do the same. I am still not happy with him as the number 1 option on defense against the Lillards or Hardens of the league but he has proven his value.
Yesterday probably was the best game of his career so I wouldn´t use it to judge his overall performance but he would probably get 20 minutes on any team in the league.
Guys like Harkless or RHJ aren´t an upgrade over him and players that actually are better aren´t cheap.
Like Reply
(02-02-2020, 12:24 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: By starter, you mean if on any given night he could defend the opponents best scorer, while scoring 15-20 PTS on almost 40% 3PT% - 8-10 REB - 3-4 AST - 2-3 BLK+STL - and less than 1 TO ???

I compliment him and you still choose to think of me as a hater. Carry on.
Like Reply
NBA expert and guru Zach Lowe's words (NOT MINE). 

"Robert Covington one of the 10 most overrated players in the NBA."

"A lot of teams are worried about his health and legs long term."

Source: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-low...oplay=true

Don't shoot the messenger please I beg ya!!
Like Reply
(02-04-2020, 12:14 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: NBA expert and guru Zach Lowe's words (NOT MINE). 

https://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2OX9WN.../giphy.gif

JK... Tongue
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Meanwhile our 26 year old homegrown player is healthy and seeing his value is skyrocket, as he defended 5 positions and chipped in 15 PTS - 11 REB - 4 AST against the Pacers ....all at a total cost of $12 million over three years.

Updated:

RoCo - 6’ 7” - 209 LBS - 29.4 MIN - 43.5% FG% - 34.6% 3PT% - 6 REB - 1.2 AST - 12.8 PTS - $11.3 MILLION

DoDo - 6’ 7” - 220 LBS - 29.6 MIN - 46.6% FG% - 39.3% 3PT% - 5.7 REB - 1.4 AST - 9.5 PTS - $4 MILLION
Like Reply
(02-04-2020, 12:24 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Meanwhile our 26 year old homegrown player is healthy and seeing his value is skyrocket, as he defended 5 positions and chipped in 15 PTS - 11 REB - 4 AST against the Pacers ....all at a total cost of $12 million over three years.

Meanwhile RoCo is averaging 2stls/1blk in 2020. One man trying to make up for 4 bad defenders next to him. Culver is a rookie...Napier, Towns and Wiggins suck. No suprise that in recent games the TWolves are better with Towns on the bench. He refuses to play any help D. He wasn´t a good defender to begin with but now he isn´t even trying. Wouldn´t be suprised to see him force a trade in the coming month.

But I agree that DFS is slowly closing the gap. Not because of his defense or rebounding but because he has shown some nice playmaking skills in the last two games.
Which brings me back to my initial case. It´s not RoCo or DFS. I want both.
Like Reply
(02-04-2020, 12:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It´s not RoCo or DFS. I want both.

While of course. Only V is acting like there is a huge debate on who is better.
Like Reply
RoCo is not traded at this point, so it seems the only team overrating him is the Timberwolves.

(02-04-2020, 12:14 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: NBA expert and guru Zach Lowe's words (NOT MINE). 

Just listened to the podcast. He says people are talking about him like he's Bruce Bowen with Korver's shot. He goes on to say people are talking about him like he's a star, he's not a star, he might be a star role-player.

That's what I think of him. He's not really even all-star snub worthy, he's one of the best role player/glue guys in the league. I think that glue fits between Luka and KP (as many other teams seem to think his fit is between their 2 stars). He is not worth 2 first round picks however.
Like Reply
(02-04-2020, 12:43 PM)omahen Wrote: Only V is acting like there is a huge debate on who is better

I've already conceded Covington is probably "better" than DoDo FWIW ... but I don't have much to go on except RoCo's reputation as a defender, which seems to be in some doubt since his injury. 

There is no debate who is a better value.
Like Reply
(02-04-2020, 12:43 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:40 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: It´s not RoCo or DFS. I want both.

Well DFS is clearly the better offensive player this year. Last I checked offense is half the game. So even if Covington is better on defense, it´s still a debate. Especially when you factor in age, trajectory and salaries.
Like Reply
(02-04-2020, 01:53 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 12:43 PM)omahen Wrote:

Well DFS is clearly the better offensive player this year. Last I checked offense is half the game. So even if Covington is better on defense, it´s still a debate. Especially when you factor in age, trajectory and salaries.

I think that´s debatable. DFS is the more efficent scorer but he basically only takes wide open corner 3s or layups. He showed some improved passing and shot creation in the last few games but RoCo is asked to do more on offense and has the volume advantage.

RoCo is scoring 12.8 ppg on +1.0% rTS
DFS is scoring  9.5 ppg on +4.1% rTS

Looking at their splits it seems like RoCos volume advantage is getting bigger as the season progresses and his form returns. On the other hand DFS is more consistent from 3.

Nearly identical assist numbers. RoCo better per100. DFS better per game.

Offensive rebounding is probably the tie breaker in DFS favor. Overall I don´t see a big difference on offense. I do think that RoCo just like any other 3&D guy would increase his efficiency next to a playmaker like Luka.
Like Reply
https://theathletic.com/1584663/2020/02/...ks-puzzle/
Like Reply
V, I hope you're happy as hell right now.
Like Reply
If you mean happy because DFS is finally getting national recognition as high value role player? i.e. from The Athletic: "Dorian Finney-Smith is an unquestioned, every-night starter and an integral piece on a playoff team." Then, yes. I might even have to find myself a Finney-Smith jersey, assuming they sell them.

If you mean happy because Covington was traded to Houston? Then, no.
Like Reply
(02-05-2020, 11:52 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: If you mean happy because DFS is finally getting national recognition as high value role player? i.e. from The Athletic: "Dorian Finney-Smith is an unquestioned, every-night starter and an integral piece on a playoff team." Then, yes.

If you mean happy because Covington was traded to Houston? Then, no.

It makes me sad that you aren't happy.

I do love and appreciate DFS, if it makes you feel any better. I do think that LeBron or Kawhi would be an upgrade on him. Hope that doesn't make me a hater.
Like Reply
Covington and DoDo aren’t even in the same league on defense. DFS has looked overmatched since Powell went down meanwhile RoCo is a beast on the Rockets.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 12:11 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Covington and DoDo aren’t even in the same league on defense. DFS has looked overmatched since Powell went down meanwhile RoCo is a beast on the Rockets.

Playing small ball center really unleashes RoCos help defense. He can impact more plays and is involved in nearly all pick and rolls on defense.
Looking like the Rockets version of Draymond but I think that they are going to run him into the ground. Even Draymond did not play center 30+ minutes per game and he is bigger and stronger. Exhaustion will be a problem for both RoCo and Tucker.
Like Reply