Poll: Which player would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Player A - 6’ 7” - 209 LBS - 3D Wing 28 MIN - 44% FG% - 35% 3PT% - 5.4 REB - 1.1 AST - 12.6 PTS - $11.3 MILLION
23.33%
7 23.33%
Player B - 6’ 7” - 220 LBS - 3D Wing 28 MIN - 46% FG% - 35% 3PT% - 5.2 REB - 1.2 AST - 8.5 PTS - $4 MILLION
76.67%
23 76.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DoDo on the rise: Who's better than RoCo?
Which player would you rather have? Assume both are strong defenders capable of hounding an opponent's best player.
Like Reply
Obviously, one is going to be someone that fans have said they don't want and one will be someone the board has coveted and says is way better than the other...but players go way beyond stats, so this is kind of a short-sighted answer.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
What if I were to add 

Player B is 26 years old - on his original team - and a well liked locker room presence. He also is noted for having a good relationship with multiple Mavs.

Player A is 29 years old - on his third team - and has been traded multiple times

When at least 10 people have voted I will reveal each player's name (unless someone correctly identifies them first)
Like Reply
I would want to know the two players' career DRPM. Not this year, but career. If player A is who I think it is, this thread is horsepoop. 

I'll bet I would want player A starting and player B (DFS) off the bench. Love DFS, but he's a bench player unless he's playing in the starting lineup next to four players who range from superstars to near all-stars.
Like Reply
I'd rather have RoCo than DFS, but I'd really rather have both.
Like Reply
Yep, looked it up, and player A is RoCo. 

Gimme a break, bro. I'm a smidge dumber for having read the OP.

(12-19-2019, 05:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'd rather have RoCo than DFS, but I'd really rather have both.

This, this-this-this.
Like Reply
Ok player A is RoCo, player B is DFS

Just taking a guess.

(12-19-2019, 05:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'd rather have RoCo than DFS, but I'd really rather have both.

Also this^

DFS is a good player. He's exactly what this team needs. But we need more of what he brings, on more consistency. And that is RoCo.

I don't see why it has to be an either/or scenario. If we had both DFS and RoCo then our wing rotation is set.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Player A costs more than 11 million...he costs draft picks and young assets also...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 05:14 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Player A costs more than 11 million...he costs draft picks and young assets also...

Oh, well then, I guess I'll settle for the guy who really shouldn't be starting rather the guy who would be the third best player on our roster. I really need the old head-bash-against-the-wall emoticon.

No, no, no, it's both.
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 05:07 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Gimme a break, bro.

Don't shoot the messenger, BRO. The numbers are the numbers.

Going beyond the numbers, I see DFS is developing as a shooter, defender, teammate, and into an incredible value at $4 million. He's 26. Why you think DFS is a "bench player," but RoCo is a starter is beyond me. 

Covington is what he is. Good role player making around the mid-level. He's not overpaid but to think he's some type of star or tremendous value at that price is delusional. 

That said, I agree with whoever said they'd rather have both. Mavs could obviously use a guy like Covington to match up with the Clippers & Celtics.
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 05:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: but he's a bench player unless he's playing in the starting lineup next to four players who range from superstars to near all-stars

turns out he's arguably the 3rd most important starter for a team on pace to win 56 games

V undermining the underrating of DFS

(12-19-2019, 05:24 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I see DFS is developing as a shooter, defender, teammate, and into an incredible value at $4 million. He's 26.

I appreciate your work, bro
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 05:26 PM)fifteenth Wrote: turns out he's arguably the 3rd most important starter for a team on pace to win 56 games

Exactly!  Who's third in minutes on the Mavs? DFS. 28 MIN. Same as so-called Robert "starter" Covington.

And DFS minutes cost 35% of Covington. Which frees up money for better depth.

For example: 

Players A: DFS + Curry = $11.4 million
Player B: Covington = $11.3 million

Who's better?
Like Reply
Fif, I have to say I liked you better when you were the squeaky wheel about plan powder. I'm getting really tired of this gaslighting.
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 05:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Fif, I have to say I liked you better when you were the squeaky wheel about plan powder. I'm getting really tired of this gaslighting.

gas·light
/ˈɡaslīt/

verb
gerund or present participle: gaslighting

1. manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.
    "in the first episode, Karen Valentine is being gaslighted by her husband"

You think I'm doing this?

Scott, you've been speaking in terms of forgone conclusions. Powell IS this. DFS IS this. The things you present as obvious, that you present as if no reasonable person would disagree with, I happen to disagree with. If I'm handling our disagreement inappropriately then let me know how so. Seriously.

Lest you think I'm coming to this debate with anything other than what I've thought for quite a while now (not that it would be wrong to change my mind due to new evidence), I spent this entire summer arguing for DFS to be a starter.
Like Reply
DFS has played really well in the role he has cut out for him so far this year. I think if you put RoCo into that very same role, he'd have better numbers. Currently he's (RoCo) mostly at or below his career numbers. That tells me his coach isn't using him in a way that best utilizes who he is. I think RC could do that with him. Looking at his numbers the last couple years (omitting this one) that is quite a player to have on your team. I do think that would be the 3rd best player here.
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 05:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: DFS has played really well in the role he has cut out for him so far this year. I think if you put RoCo into that very same role, he'd have better numbers. Currently he's (RoCo) mostly at or below his career numbers. That tells me his coach isn't using him in a way that best utilizes who he is. I think RC could do that with him. Looking at his numbers the last couple years (omitting this one) that is quite a player to have on your team. I do think that would be the 3rd best player here.

I don't think the poll or OP is crafted with the intent to suggest that RoCo isn't a desirable player. I think most of us in this thread would want both of them if that was reasonably possible.
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 06:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think the poll or OP is crafted with the intent to suggest that RoCo isn't a desirable player. I think most of us in this thread would want both of them if that was reasonably possible.
I don't think getting him would cost DFS simply because that's who RoCo basically is anyway. No reason to trade. I think the cost would be something we really don't have, although I do think Maxi might be a player they would possibly ask for and I'd have a hard time giving him up. 

If they asked for Powell, that is another thing. I'd do Powell/Lee for RoCo/Dieng. You would then have your offseason wish of 3 wings to start with Luka and KP! I think Dieng could be a rotation player which means we actually add to the number of rotational players in the deal.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/6TQ9cPyHUl368/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 06:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think the poll or OP is crafted with the intent to suggest that RoCo isn't a desirable player.

You're exactly right. I'd love to have Covington. He's a great 3D wing. It just so happens that DFS is giving the Mavs very similar production, at nearly 1/3 the price!.... while being three years younger, great in the locker room, knows the system etc. DFS is also improving. His arrow is pointing up.

(12-19-2019, 05:59 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: think if you put RoCo into that very same role, he'd have better numbers. Currently he's (RoCo) mostly at or below his career numbers.

Not really. RoCo's box line this year is pretty much directly in-line with his career numbers. He scored a little more one year when he played nearly 35 minutes per night but his percentages are nearly identical. His advanced stats are actually a little better this year, including a career high True Shooting %.

In fact, Dorian's TS% this year would match RoCo's career high!
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 07:39 PM)Magickian Wrote: I have to say, I am really sick of the craze of media and folks following suit, of overusing the term "gaslighting" most of you really don't understand what it really means. It is a form of DEEP psychological torture, with long periods of planning to make someone lose their minds. I see so many buzzfeed articles claiming every woman's ex was gaslighting her... such bs... someone being a jerk, or someone disagreeing with you is NOT gaslighting...

Your ex did not gaslight you... if you are not in a mental ward... you were not gaslighted... 

infact almost EVERY instance people use this term, they are using it wrong. 

just stop using it...

Dude stop gaslighting me bro. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply