Poll: Which player would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Player A - 6’ 7” - 209 LBS - 3D Wing 28 MIN - 44% FG% - 35% 3PT% - 5.4 REB - 1.1 AST - 12.6 PTS - $11.3 MILLION
23.33%
7 23.33%
Player B - 6’ 7” - 220 LBS - 3D Wing 28 MIN - 46% FG% - 35% 3PT% - 5.2 REB - 1.2 AST - 8.5 PTS - $4 MILLION
76.67%
23 76.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DoDo on the rise: Who's better than RoCo?
I don't understand why it's either/or. Most people haven't suggested trading DFS for RoCo.

Championship teams will typically have more than just one wing defender. Having RoCo or another wing defender would give us insurance and options. The Mavs literally don't have a substitute for DFS if he gets in foul trouble or gets injured.
Like Reply
(12-29-2019, 05:19 AM)Branduil Wrote: I don't understand why it's either/or. Most people haven't suggested trading DFS for RoCo.

Championship teams will typically have more than just one wing defender. Having RoCo or another wing defender would give us insurance and options. The Mavs literally don't have a substitute for DFS if he gets in foul trouble or gets injured.

This.  RoCo improves the starters (theoretically) by moving DFS to the bench, not another team.  Jackson should be the outgoing if a player has to go (and I like Jackson).

The same is true of Powell and Maxi.  You don't send those guys out in a deal for a big.  You add the big to what we have already.  I'm not sure who is available that would knock Powell to the bench, but if such a player could be had, it would be the same thing as above.  Powell strengthens the already incredible bench. 

Personally, I think it more likely any big we add joins Maxi on the bench rather than pushing Powell to the bench.  Powell is elite at the things he is good at and the things he is good at seem to be valued in our style of play.  It also drives me crazy to see him abused by Aldridge and AD on the block.  But, we've done pretty well against teams with dominant bigs and found ways to stop those post ups when they absolutely had to be stopped.
Like Reply
I don´t know if his shot re-tooling was already with the new guy from Minnesota in charge, but if so the guy has already done more for the Mavs than the previous shooting coach in all those years.
Like Reply
DoDo - 49.1 FG% - 39.3 3P% - 1.24 PSA (top 5% of NBA forwards)

DoDo may cool off at some point but his shooting and scoring efficiency over the first 32 games has been remarkable. 

In fact, higher than any 30 game stretch in RoCo's career, though RoCo is a much higher usage player.

If DoDo keeps this up it may be time to increase his usage a bit.
Like Reply
(12-22-2019, 12:41 PM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 12:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Brandon Ingram.

Interesting. That guy has turned into a straight up bucket getter. Really tough to stop with his length.
Ingram is literally the only player in the NBA that should be judged by eyetest only, as you look into his eyes to check whether he´s high as a kite. Could be that he´s out of LA or just in a contract year, but he looks awake this season.
Like Reply
Doe-doe still bringing it from three. Will it continue, or does he fall off in the second half, like he has done his entire career?
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 11:00 AM)embellisher Wrote: Will it continue

39% from three after 33 games is far better than any stretch of DFS' career. 

Better than any 33 game stretch in Covington's career too .... though to be fair, RoCo has been a much higher usage player over his career.
Like Reply
Feel free to discuss...
Like Reply
Just wish we knew what the FO was offering for RoCo. If it was anything like what has been proposed here and Min wasn't biting, I'm fine with not having him and moving on to OPJ since Chi looks to want him gone pretty bad.
Like Reply
DFS - 19/20 - MIN 1383 - ADJP48 .318 - WP48 .154 - PoP48 +1.7 - WP 4.4

Covington - 19/20 - MIN 1346 - ADJP48 .267 - WP48 .091 - PoP48 -.02 - WP 2.6

source: boxscorregeeks
Like Reply
yes to big defensive wings who can shoot

they're like potato chips
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/zbzNUbpFnlw8E/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 02:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Just wish we knew what the FO was offering for RoCo. If it was anything like what has been proposed here and Min wasn't biting, I'm fine with not having him and moving on to OPJ since Chi looks to want him gone pretty bad.

This thread will probably get shut down...which is fine, I forgot there was already a Dodo vs. Roco thread.  I think the thing that gets missed in all the numbers is what each might look like in the others uniform.  The Luka tide raises all boats.

To your point, I'm a bit of a deal-a-holic and enjoy thinking through strategy.  But, I also realize this isn't the only time we can add to our base of assets.  It seems a shame to let the TPE and Lee's expiring go without using them.  But carrying large salary forward into next year limits future opportunities.  Much can be done with #20, #31 and a little cap room (if we were to go that route).  I'm a big fan of healthy OPJ.  Not sure if I can judge whether that guy will be available anytime soon.  I kind of like something centered around Young and Satoransky if we deal with Chicago.  Young fits the mold of what I'm going to call a "power-wing".  I see Sato as a slight upgrade over Wright.

I've mentioned liking pairing 88 with 77 (my way of referencing Bjelica, though I read Morris changed his number to 88 also).  He would fit the role Jackson is trying to play.  I also like that he's got a non-guaranteed contract for next year.  That means you could trade him at the draft as a player or cut him before his 6/29 guarantee date to create a little cap space beyond the MLE.  But, alas, I read where NO is sniffing around him and might offer a first.
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 02:54 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: But, alas, I read where NO is sniffing around him and might offer a first.

Around who? Bjelica or RoCo?
Like Reply
@"DanSchwartzman"

I merged it to contain this hot topic to one area. Hope that's ok with you...

@"vfromlmf"

I tried to merge threads for the first time...I made a mistake and it pit Dan's title as the thread title...my fault...your thread was the first and I wanted to honor that...

Anyone remember the name of V's thread title?
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 02:58 PM)omahen Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 02:54 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: But, alas, I read where NO is sniffing around him and might offer a first.

Around who? Bjelica or RoCo?

Bjelica

(01-31-2020, 03:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman"

I merged it to contain this hot topic to one area. Hope that's ok with you...

@"vfromlmf"

I tried to merge threads for the first time...I made a mistake and it pit Dan's title as the thread title...my fault...your thread was the first and I wanted to honor that...

Anyone remember the name of V's thread title?

Perfectly fine.  Sorry I didn't remember this already existed.  I was mainly trying to get the conversation moved away from the trade thread.  Thanks.
Like Reply
I think people want to add RoCo without subtracting DFS. Mavs in my view would not trade one for the other.
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 03:19 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Bjelica

A first for Bjelica, wow. That's high
Like Reply
It's very easy to not remember every recent thread topic when they are on page 2, 3, etc...
Like Reply
Glad I was wrong about DoDo
I thought Jackson would pass him up skillwise and in minutes this year
Like Reply