Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INJURY: DPowell w/ achilles | DP likely to be w/ 1st unit
Look we all love Boban but the man is 31 years old and has never been a regular rotation player. He’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes in half the remaining games. He’s the definition of a valuable spot-minute luxury. 

Now the Mavs need a full-time, every night, 28 MIN starting center who can defend opposing power forwards and put pressure on the rim out of PnR. Tall order. 

Alternatively they can possibly get away with a starting forward who rebounds and can find a way to add something else offensively. But don’t discount the loss of an elite rim runner. The role adds a dimension to the offense that can’t be replaced with another spot-up shooter.
Like Reply
I put this in the trade deadline thread as well but as a supreme complement to Dwight Powell, I predict he will join Rolando Blackman and Michael Finley as high level Maverick executives. He seems to me to have everything it takes to succeed in that arena and everyone in the organization seems to love him. That is a nice long term future and his current contract probably plays a prominent role for him long term as well.

For the next 3-4 years and beyond, I'll go with JJ Barea's support. He will work very hard and he will make the best he can out of the rest of his career. He is very smart, which will help him maximize his physical recovery as well. 

My prayers and full support go out to Dwight Powell. His future is still bright.... and so is ours Maverick fans.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Im a little late but wow.

Just managed to watch the game. 

This freaking sucks. For as much as I ragged on Powell he brought a lot to this team and this injury is a huge blow. Mavs need to retool quick and find a guy that can replace him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I’d like to get Tyson back, he hasn’t played much this year but I think he’d bring a lot of energy to this team, especially as they make a push for the playoffs
Like Reply
Just horrible news.  Really feel for him as well.  He played hard in all seasons and now to finally be in a playoff season only to get injured.  We fans can’t always understand the emotional pain a player goes thru when something like this happens.  Beyond getting better these players are competitors and the agony of not able to play and wanting to help team mates in games.  Its very emotional for them I would imagine.  I hope he recovers and can get back to same level of contribution.  Feel for him
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavspr/status/122006...33829?s=21
Like Reply
Boban was last seen running multiple wind sprints! Cool
Like Reply
I ruptured my Achilles tendon playing basketball when I was 37. I couldn't dunk a basketball after that. Well, i couldn't dunk before that either but that's beside the point. 

The pain before the surgery and the surgery itself is not too bad. The recovery is long and painful. Basically, the torn area gets snipped off and then the two parts are sewn back together. This shortens the length of the tendon and causes the foot to be in an extended position. Stretching the tendon back out takes a long time. 

I'm wishing Dwight a full recovery.
Like Reply
I'm sick of the Mavs doing this. I mentioned how Dwight and Porzi were being asked to do way too much, a couple weeks ago after KP knee injury. Now look wtf happened, Dwight out for season. Hopefully the Mavs will learn from this calamity, which was so obviously coming if they had any level of competence. Maybe they will learn from this to not force players into situations they are not equipped for. If not, this will keep happening to more of our team...
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 06:25 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I'm sick of the Mavs doing this. I mentioned how Dwight and Porzi were being asked to do way too much, a couple weeks ago after KP knee injury. Now look wtf happened, Dwight out for season. Hopefully the Mavs will learn from this calamity, which was so obviously coming if they had any level of competence. Maybe they will learn from this to not force players into situations they are not equipped for. If not, this will keep happening to more of our team...
So you're saying Luka is next?
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 02:06 PM)SamStetz Wrote: I’d like to get Tyson back, he hasn’t played much this year but I think he’d bring a lot of energy to this team, especially as they make a push for the playoffs

If you've been watching the rest of the NBA in the past few seasons you'd know Tyson Chandler is totally washed now.  Smile
Like Reply
Ran across this:

https://twitter.com/BBiomechanics/status...5144867843
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 03:08 PM)mtrot Wrote: Boban was last seen running multiple wind sprints! Cool

I thought BM played a great game! IF RC had put him in the game for a few minutes in the third quarter to get some defensive rebounds, the game would have never gone down to the wire!  Let the big man play!!
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 06:25 PM)Baller AI Wrote: I'm sick of the Mavs doing this. I mentioned how Dwight and Porzi were being asked to do way too much, a couple weeks ago after KP knee injury. Now look wtf happened, Dwight out for season. Hopefully the Mavs will learn from this calamity, which was so obviously coming if they had any level of competence. Maybe they will learn from this to not force players into situations they are not equipped for. If not, this will keep happening to more of our team...

He was playing like 25 minutes a night?

The thing that upsets me is we will have 2 more years before Powell is expiring which look like wasted years at this point. Powell's game without athleticism is going to be rough to watch. He will not be as quick or have the same lift. Maybe he can compensate in other ways, but he is already a one dimensional player. Guys like JJB don't rely on athleticism so you see him be effective even with no athleticism left. I am sick that the Mavs gave him 3 more years. It's hard to say if he will be effective even as a part-time backup once he comes back.
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 08:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
The thing that upsets me is we will have 2 more years before Powell is expiring which look like wasted years at this point. Powell's game without athleticism is going to be rough to watch. He will not be as quick or have the same lift. Maybe he can compensate in other ways, but he is already a one dimensional player. Guys like JJB don't rely on athleticism so you see him be effective even with no athleticism left. I am sick that the Mavs gave him 3 more years. It's hard to say if he will be effective even as a part-time backup once he comes back.

Geez, you act like this is as bad as the John Wall contract.
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 07:02 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Ran across this:

Great post!  Wonder if NBA players study this?  Sad thing it just takes one play in one moment without even a hint of game contact. 

You might think a shoe or something could be designed to reduce the risk in this scenario but its not so easy with all the tendons and limbs internally working in sync. 
The human body is amazingly and precisely designed including its defined limitations (Ps. 139:14) but I won't go there.

(01-22-2020, 10:56 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Look we all love Boban but the man is 31 years old and has never been a regular rotation player. He’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes in half the remaining games. He’s the definition of a valuable spot-minute luxury. 

Now the Mavs need a full-time, every night, 28 MIN starting center who can defend opposing power forwards and put pressure on the rim out of PnR. Tall order. 

Alternatively they can possibly get away with a starting forward who rebounds and can find a way to add something else offensively. But don’t discount the loss of an elite rim runner. The role adds a dimension to the offense that can’t be replaced with another spot-up shooter.

I've already said that Mavs need another Big and it has to be a Big that Rick Carlisle will actually play and use.  Remember this team had Javale McGee for instance and he couldn't get consistent minutes in this rotation any more than Boban or Salah Mejri.   McGee went on to win 2 NBA championships playing key minutes for the GSW and now has been either a starter or 1st center off the bench for the conference leading Lakers. 

That said it doesn't mean Boban can't play more minutes does it?  So he was 5 of 6 against the Clippers (KP was 4 of 17) in the 16 minutes
What are you telling us, that 16 minutes was his rock hard limit?  Cool  Could he have played maybe 17, 18 or even 20, 21 minutes and gotten the Mavs a couple more buckets?  

Uh, so he's 31 means what?  Dwight Howard is 34, starting.  Some said he was washed up but both he his team are doing pretty well. 
Amazing how it changes for a player being in the right situation and used the best way to maximize their game. 

Carlisle will only use certain types of centers consistently, the other guys get match up based spot minutes, no matter how well they play in any one game.
Like Reply
Dahlsim
(01-22-2020, 07:02 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Ran across this:

Great post!  Wonder if NBA players study this?  Sad thing it just takes one play in one moment without even a hint of game contact. 

You might think a shoe or something could be designed to reduce the risk in this scenario but its not so easy with all the tendons and limbs internally working in sync. 
The human body is amazingly and precisely designed including its defined limitations (Ps. 139:14) but I won't go there.

(01-22-2020, 10:56 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Look we all love Boban but the man is 31 years old and has never been a regular rotation player. He’ll be lucky to get 10 minutes in half the remaining games. He’s the definition of a valuable spot-minute luxury. 

I've already said that Mavs need another Big and it has to be a Big that Rick Carlisle will actually play and use.  Remember this team had Javale McGee for instance and he couldn't get consistent minutes in this rotation any more than Boban or Salah Mejri.   McGee went on to win 2 NBA championships playing key minutes for the GSW and now has been either a starter or 1st center off the bench for the conference leading Lakers. 

That said it doesn't mean Boban can't play more minutes does it?  So he was 5 of 6 against the Clippers (KP was 4 of 17) in the 16 minutes
What are you telling us, that 16 minutes was his rock hard limit?  Cool  Could he have played maybe 17, 18 or even 20, 21 minutes and gotten the Mavs a couple more buckets?  

Uh, so he's 31 means what?  Dwight Howard is 34, starting.  Some said he was washed up but both he his team are doing pretty well. 
Amazing how it changes for a player being in the right situation and used the best way to maximize their game. 

Carlisle will only use certain types of centers consistently, the other guys get match up based spot minutes, no matter how well they play in any one game.

I agree with most of what you are saying but looking at Javale McGee's stats reveals that GS actually played him less minutes than the Mavs.
[Image: jm2.jpg]
Like Reply
(01-22-2020, 09:21 PM)embellisher Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 08:48 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:

Geez, you act like this is as bad as the John Wall contract.

Its a waste of 3 years 30+ mil though for a guy who might not be playable when he gets back. We shall see.
Like Reply
Tim McMahan is reporting the Mavs are looking for center depth and reached out to Jokim Noah after Powells injury.  Why not just bring back Salah?
Like Reply
“Kind of an ‘Is what it is’ conversation,” Powell said. “I’ve got to make do with what I’ve got left. I’ve got one good leg, arms, mind and I can find ways to continue to get better whether I’m on the court or not.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/maveri...-achilles/

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225218198859124737

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1225212538922655747
Like Reply