• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INJURY: DPowell w/ achilles | DP likely to be w/ 1st unit
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1314276135941931008

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...7509095432

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1314288488850894849
Like Reply
Is he good?
Like Reply
Quote:Nelson also addressed the health of Dallas’ other recovering big man during today’s radio appearance, telling 105.3 The Fan that Dwight Powell is expected to be able to participate at least in a limited capacity when training camp begins, as MacMahon relays.

“We’re not going to rush, we’re going to do it the right way, but we’re pretty optimistic that he’ll be able to join us out of the gates,” Nelson said of Powell, who is returning from a torn Achilles.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 04:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
Quote:Nelson also addressed the health of Dallas’ other recovering big man during today’s radio appearance, telling 105.3 The Fan that Dwight Powell is expected to be able to participate at least in a limited capacity when training camp begins, as MacMahon relays.

“We’re not going to rush, we’re going to do it the right way, but we’re pretty optimistic that he’ll be able to join us out of the gates,” Nelson said of Powell, who is returning from a torn Achilles.

Let's go, Dwight, build up that trade value so it doesn't cost as much to get out from under your contract.
Like Reply
Man I'd love to see a video on Instagram or something of Powell dunking a basketball.
Like Reply
(11-16-2020, 07:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Man I'd love to see a video on Instagram or something of Powell dunking a basketball.

https://youtu.be/zG2Y1H1-U1Q

You're welcome.
Like Reply
I mean a post-achilles dunk video of course.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I mean a post-achilles dunk video of course.

I know, but it was tons of fun to me to post that video.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I mean a post-achilles dunk video of course.

I don't know why but I am not anxious about DP.....I am fairly confident he will be at least 90-95% of his old self. He just seems like the type of personality and work ethic that will make this work.
Like Reply
Prove it. I need to see him dunking.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

I don't know why but I am not anxious about DP.....I am fairly confident he will be at least 90-95% of his old self. He just seems like the type of personality and work ethic that will make this work.

A torn achilles isn´t really about work ethic or personality. Just look at Wes Matthews. He actually had one of the best post injury careers among guys with a torn achilles and he never came close to his pre injury level.
All I see is a guy that relied on his athleticism to make an impact. Powell has no ballhandling, passing or shooting abilty to make up for it if he cannot run the floor like he used to do.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 05:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I don't know why but I am not anxious about DP.....I am fairly confident he will be at least 90-95% of his old self. He just seems like the type of personality and work ethic that will make this work.

I don't know about this one Kamm. You're the guy that puts a TON of onus of numbers. "Numbers never lie" right?

Well if the numbers are to be believed, Powell as a significant contributor on a playoff team post achilles is almost non-existent. A highly athletic rim runner big man returning to 95% of his old self after suffering the worst injury any NBA player could suffer? I have to see it to believe it, over the course of an entire season.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I mean if he brings anything to the table it’s better than having nothing. They were paying him and never replaced him last year. 15 min from a night will be an improvement honestly.
Like Reply
(11-17-2020, 06:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just look at Wes Matthews. He actually had one of the best post injury careers among guys with a torn achilles and he never came close to his pre injury level.

Question: Are we sure Mathews was that much worse after the injury? Is it possible he was always not that great, only we didn't see him consistently enough to realize it because we didn't watch Portland every night? I'm not SAYING that, just asking. 

I mean, there are Mavs fans (lots of them) who think Andre Drummond is a good player. There are tons of players our fans want in Dallas who I believe they would HATE if they were actually Mavs.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 09:54 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just look at Wes Matthews. He actually had one of the best post injury careers among guys with a torn achilles and he never came close to his pre injury level.

Question: Are we sure Mathews was that much worse after the injury? Is it possible he was always not that great, only we didn't see him consistently enough to realize it because we didn't watch Portland every night? I'm not SAYING that, just asking. 

I mean, there are Mavs fans (lots of them) who think Andre Drummond is a good player. There are tons of players our fans want in Dallas who I believe they would HATE if they were actually Mavs.

He was a way quicker and could stay in front of PGs. He was one of the best 3&D SGs in the league and defended the best opposing perimeter scorer.
After the injury the Mavs played him as the full time SF to hide his lack of quickness. That obviously did not work because he lacked the length to defend bigger forwards.

On offense he was able to create his own midrange jumper (similar to THJ). After the injury his dribble pull up game was replaced with post ups.
A play call that still haunts me in my dreams.

Quick look at the numbers:

Last two seasons in Portland 16/4/2 59% TS, 16 PER
With the Mavs 13/3/3 54% TS, 11 PER

That said. Wes Matthews is not a bad NBA player and I wouldn´t mind having him back on a reasonable contract (vet min). He can still shoot and at least hustles on defense. Seems like other contenders are having similar thoughts. According to the latest rumors the Lakers are interested and the Bucks want to resign him.

Side note:
Andre Drummond is not a good player. At least for teams that want to win. He has potential as a tank commander. Fancy boxscore numbers and bad defense are valuable for teams like the Knicks.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 10:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Side note:
Andre Drummond is not a good player.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 10:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That said. Wes Matthews is not a bad NBA player and I wouldn´t mind having him back on a reasonable contract (vet min).

I was going to like your post, then you inserted this abject horror.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 10:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Andre Drummond is not a good player.

I think I might be the only one that doesn't mind Andre Drummond. Sure he's overpaid, but he is an historic rebounder. Dennis Rodman level of rebounding. His defensive numbers aren't bad either. He's athletic as all hell and is quick enough to run around a perimeter. 

I am a Drummond apologist and I am proud.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-18-2020, 12:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think I might be the only one that doesn't mind Andre Drummond. Sure he's overpaid, but he is an historic rebounder. Dennis Rodman level of rebounding. His defensive numbers aren't bad either. He's athletic as all hell and is quick enough to run around a perimeter. 

I am a Drummond apologist and I am proud.

Do you watch him play though? 

Because, and this isn't hyperbole, if you watch him play on defense and watch HIM, not the BALL, you'll find 2-3 lazy, late rotations within the first five minutes. He doesn't play hard or smart, and that's a death sentence combination for a player who has a foot speed disadvantage anytime he's on the court. 

Rebounding numbers are sexy, but I would think anyone who saw DeAndre Jordan's half season here would understand how limited their value is. There are STILL fans who think the defense here got worse when Jordan left, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. He was a STATUE out there, and maybe that might have had something to do with GETTING REBOUNDS. 

The rebounder, imo, is not nearly as important as those who are working hard to make it possible for the rebound to be grabbed.
Like Reply
A guy averaging 16 ppg and 15 rpg with 2 all-star appearances (more than KP btw) in the last 5 seasons is not a good player. Can't win with him! 

You can win with anyone, just put them in the right situation, which is easier said than done. Drummond's problem is that he is asked to be a top 1 or 2 player on mediocre teams; give him a Derrick Favors type role on a contender and you're gucci; problem is, most playoff teams are already set at the center position and Drummond's contract is too high right now.
Like Reply