Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 2.5 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
77.78%
7 77.78%
Lakers
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
GAME 38: LAL (31-7) @ DAL (23-15) | 114-129 loss
Wanna know why we didn't really double team Lebron? Because his shooters can shoot, and our rotating defense is lethargic.
Wanna know why Luka was double teamed with no issues? His shooters are not very good, and their defenders are superior.

Talent discrepancy in favor of the Lakers.

I don't know where the Mavs are going right with the way this roster is currently constructed but we don't want this to be another Dirk situation. Never ever had a super star next to him quantifies Dirk's career.
Like Reply
Roster is out of Luka’s control. Efficiency and smart play are not. Dirk was always efficient and smart. He had an issue with his passing out of double teams initially. However he got better at that too

I asked a simple question. Forget the numbers. Name one aspect of his game that Luka has improved this season regardless of how the team ends up? Honestly there is none. It is nitpicking because he is already very polished but the few glaring holes in his game are poor shot selection, always wanting the ball, and poor effort on defense. None of those have improved at all.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1215870381606735874

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1215871486378106880
Like Reply
Frustrating game to watch. That first quarter killed the mavs once again.

Frustrates me also that they aren't capable of making a comeback, yet they let other teams come back when they have a 15-20 point lead.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 12:57 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Roster is out of Luka’s control. Efficiency and smart play are not. Dirk was always efficient and smart.  He had an issue with his passing out of double teams initially.  However he got better at that too

I asked a simple question. Forget the numbers.  Name one aspect of his game that Luka has improved this season regardless of how the team ends up?  Honestly there is none.  It is nitpicking because he is already very polished but the few glaring holes in his game are poor shot selection, always wanting the ball, and poor effort on defense.  None of those have improved at all.
His driving, his shooting and his passing. And that's with NO ONE around him. Dirk had Kidd/Finley/ and then Nash. KP stays on ICE all the time. And those that want to get on him, remember his ONLY 20 YEARS OLD. Most of us could barely hold a job at 20 yet we're expecting him to be 28 year old Michael Jordan.
Like Reply
Even the refs whining is becoming silly now. Get Drummond here and live with his defensive weaknesses. The Mavs lack size inside and teams now know the playbook. Get physical with Luka. No Favors type No Drummond type. Why would teams be worried? Even Ewing had Oak. You need a bruiser. What is happening to Luka is nothing that has not happened to other young superstars.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 12:19 AM)philjuan1 Wrote: I'm gonna say this and I'll sleep good tonight after saying it. Even if we have to trade KP to get a much tougher team, I'd do it. What good is a dynamic offense if you can't stop anyone?
I mean, this Laker's team does whatever it wants. 

Shameful. I want a defensive team.

This post makes zero sense.

You want a defensive team.. yet you'd trade KP. What?!
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 01:05 AM)philjuan1 Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 12:57 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Roster is out of Luka’s control. Efficiency and smart play are not. Dirk was always efficient and smart.  He had an issue with his passing out of double teams initially.  However he got better at that too

I asked a simple question. Forget the numbers.  Name one aspect of his game that Luka has improved this season regardless of how the team ends up?  Honestly there is none.  It is nitpicking because he is already very polished but the few glaring holes in his game are poor shot selection, always wanting the ball, and poor effort on defense.  None of those have improved at all.
His driving, his shooting and his passing. And that's with NO ONE around him. Dirk had Kidd/Finley/ and then Nash. KP stays on ICE all the time. And those that want to get on him, remember his ONLY 20 YEARS OLD. Most of us could barely hold a job at 20 yet we're expecting him to be 28 year old Michael Jordan.

His shooting percentages are bad.  If his passing is getting assists the teammates are not that bad.  I said it is nitpicking because he is already very polished. But efficiency and smart play are not dependent on teammates. If that’s the case Dirk had some really poor cast around him too. Defensive effort is also not dependent on them.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 01:08 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Even the refs whining is becoming silly now.  Get Drummond here and live with his defensive weaknesses.  The Mavs lack size inside and teams now know the playbook.  Get physical with Luka. No Favors type No Drummond type. Why would teams be worried?  Even Ewing had Oak.  You need a bruiser.  What is happening to Luka is nothing that has not happened to other young superstars.

So easy to strategize playing against the Mavs. Teams just look at Powell and be like, "just get in the paint." Easy game plan.

Bad defense usually leads to bad offense. Good/decent/above avg defense-->better flow offense. This should be obvious.

It's no wonder that Lakers had an easy time making baskets. It all started with their elite defense.

At least now we know exactly what area needs improvement. They have 27 days to make a change.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 01:53 AM)donzingis38 Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 01:08 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Even the refs whining is becoming silly now.  Get Drummond here and live with his defensive weaknesses.  The Mavs lack size inside and teams now know the playbook.  Get physical with Luka. No Favors type No Drummond type. Why would teams be worried?  Even Ewing had Oak.  You need a bruiser.  What is happening to Luka is nothing that has not happened to other young superstars.

So easy to strategize playing against the Mavs. Teams just look at Powell and be like, "just get in the paint." Easy game plan.

Bad defense usually leads to bad offense. Good/decent/above avg defense-->better flow offense. This should be obvious.

It's no wonder that Lakers had an easy time making baskets. It all started with their elite defense.

At least now we know exactly what area needs improvement. They have 27 days to make a change.
I definitely agree with this assessment. You know, I'm just annoyed by all of the Luka criticism. Look who he's freaking playing with? He's playing with mostly 2nd stringers. The only way I'd consider THJ a first stringer is if he's the 4th option on offense. DFS is a bench player. KP is a good player, but he's out. Powell is pathetic on defense, and Kleber is a bench player, albeit a nice one. 

So as frustrated as I am, I know we have a lot of moves to make over the next year, and while and until we get to that point, let Luka do what he has to do because he's learning.
Like Reply
[Image: 2020-01-11-145423.jpg]

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2846...-mavs-loss

I think its safe to say he wants to get better...
Like Reply
A lot of over-reaction around here - especially trading KP wtf. I repeat myself. Luka's conditioning is not as good as it would have to be for him to lead this team to wins 30 games into the season during a tough stretch. The settling for threes gets pathetic as gets the whining, even if we assume he gets hammered. But there were many plays especially in the game against Denver which he complained on, that were clean to me. Free throws going south now too. Just compare his body to lebron's giannis' or even harden's, it's really no suprise what we're seeing. Same story last season. And this could get more ugly as he won't get much rest during allstar break too.q
Like Reply
KP's importance to the team's success should be even more evident now.

Luka is wonderful, but he is young. He gets dejected far too easily and the wheels tend to come off when things aren't going how he thinks they should. And that's when his defensive liabilities really kick in as it seems like he stop trying. Other super stars, Jordan for instance, could stink it up offensively (relatively speaking) and they'd dig in on the defensive end and impact the game. Luka's shown flashes of defensive prowess this season, he just needs to be more consistent in his effort. He really needs to stop complaining to the refs so much. It's annoying to watch and does you no favor with the refs and this will probably be a Mavs player problem until Cuban sells the team.
Like Reply
(01-10-2020, 11:52 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: All three refs should lose their job

C'mon guys, it''s not the refs, it's the Lakers. They're just the better team.

(01-10-2020, 11:32 PM)bartlettbear Wrote:
(12-29-2019, 10:06 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Delon Ranger in

THJ out for the game

(01-10-2020, 11:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:24 PM)bartlettbear Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:11 PM)LukTheShadow Wrote: If so than nba should fire all refs as they are acting like 3 year old kids trying to learn how to blow 3cycle and ride a whistle...

Luka isn´t the only player that isn´t getting calls. He is hurting the Mavs with his behaviour. The best example for great on court behaviour and body language just retired. Dirk. Luka is young and has time to grow but he shouldn´t be allowed to get away with everything.

Lebrom just pushed off on drive like he does every time,  missed lay up and then complained to refs. DId not eve n get back on d, it need sto start with him the league need to T these guys up right away first time they whine about a no call.

And that´s exactly why I want RC to keep Luka on a shorter leash. We don´t need another Harden or LeBron.

I agree but it needs to come for the Commish office and refs just  T him up after awhile when they only play 5 minutes a night they will change.

Nothing will change. LeBron is the Assistant Commissioner, or have you forgot ?
Like Reply
Refs are talking about the challenge that was ridiculous the game was already over Lebron throws a fit a time out Is granted when Mavs the ball. Plus the ball was clearly off him.
Like Reply
Philjuan: So as frustrated as I am, I know we have a lot of moves to make over the next year, and while and until we get to that point, let Luka do what he has to do because he's learning.

—-

I don’t agree with the last line. I am critical of Luka and not many others precisely because I know most of them are dispensable.

Luka is already a stud. I am thrilled we have him and hope he never leaves. But he is young and needs direction. I am not sure RC this season has given him that. RC is behaving more like a friend than a coach. To be a leader you have to do the things you don’t want to do. More effort on defense, better decision making on offense, fighting for a tough rebound in the clutch,...etc. Numbers are not the be all/end all. I consider SGA as one of the truly good young guards. His numbers are never eye popping.

Even if one says the teammates are bad or that Luka is still so young, that’s not an excuse to wash away bad habits that we see game after game, even though he says he sees it. That stuff has to be corrected now before it is too late.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 11:40 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Even if one says the teammates are bad or that Luka is still so young, that’s not an excuse to wash away bad habits that we see game after game, even though he says he sees it. That stuff has to be corrected now before it is too late.

I just don't think this criticism is evenly remotely fair, because we have NO IDEA how things and conversations are handled behind closed doors. 

I am all for criticizing RC, but not for this. I think RC has shown HUGE growth by giving Luka such a long PUBLIC leash. That is what 20 year olds need for better or worse.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 11:47 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 11:40 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: Even if one says the teammates are bad or that Luka is still so young, that’s not an excuse to wash away bad habits that we see game after game, even though he says he sees it. That stuff has to be corrected now before it is too late.

I just don't think this criticism is evenly remotely fair, because we have NO IDEA how things and conversations are handled behind closed doors. 

I am all for criticizing RC, but not for this. I think RC has shown HUGE growth by giving Luka such a long PUBLIC leash. That is what 20 year olds need for better or worse.

I totally disagree with this because minutes and the bench are a coach’s best friends. I don’t care about conversations behind the scenes because they don’t seem to be working. When you see a guy making the same mistakes or give poor effort on defense over and over again, it is not growth of a coach to give him a long leash.  This is when a coach needs to be a coach, and realize that while Luka is a stud he is still young and needs a firm correction too.
Like Reply